Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The TD that was taken away by the illegal shift

DalTXColtsFan

Horrible call !!!

I also think the review that took a catch away from us on the goal line was a horrible over turn!    I seen several different views and although I could see the ball move I never seen it hit the ground.   If you do not actually see the ball hit the ground how in the world could it be considered conclusive merely seeing the ball move?

Ya but 7 sacks given up it 2 games is horrible.

I think giving up 4 sacks to Oakland was bad last week.  I think they fixed things this week and it is getting better.  This is a lot of new linemen in a new system, give it time.  You can't fix everything in one or two games. 

1st Wayne wasn't set when the ball was snapped. He turned to the LOS with a skip for some reason as the ball was snapped. 2nd There was 6 secs left on the snap clock. Plenty of time for Luck to make sure wayne was set and he didn't.

It could have gone either way. But if the 'phins were called for the same thing, we'd be saying what a great call the Refs made.

@MikePereira: regarding IND illegal shift... 87 never came set. He went in motion before setting - foul every time.

He is the Former Vice President of officiating

Damn, there goes my excuse! Oh well, Dolphins may very well be a playoff team.

What does setting mean anyway? So once the receiver has stood still for, what, 1 sec, then he can be in motion without penalty?

that's right.  even the man in motion has to stop and set briefly and he never did.  I think Reggie just didn't want Fleener to get another TD catch and upstage him... :panic:

1st Wayne wasn't set when the ball was snapped. He turned to the LOS with a skip for some reason as the ball was snapped. 2nd There was 6 secs left on the snap clock. Plenty of time for Luck to make sure wayne was set and he didn't.

It could have gone either way. But if the 'phins were called for the same thing, we'd be saying what a great call the Refs made.

No, I woulda looked my buddy a gave him the "we got lucky" look lol

that's right.  even the man in motion has to stop and set briefly and he never did.  I think Reggie just didn't want Fleener to get another TD catch and upstage him... :panic:

A player can be in motion at the snap of the ball, but he has to be have set before going in motion.  That's what didn't happen.  If Reggie had been set prior to going in motion then there wouldn't have been a penalty.  My understanding anyway.

Wayne turned to the LOS just before the snap.  I beleive Luck just wanted him to line up on the left side. If he had been in motion, he would have been facing the sideline at the snap. He was set on the right side for a mili second before the adjustment. Peculiar, to say the least

Yea.. i thought it was a penalty and I also think the over turn at the goal line was correct. The ball pretty much had to be on the ground and I believe one angle pretty much showed it. What was missed was an obvious late hit in the first drive and PI on Wahlen on he last drive. It would have taken a pair of stones to call that bad looking play to Whalen on 3rd down PI and give us the 1st down but it was PI and should have been called.

A player can be in motion at the snap of the ball, but he has to be have set before going in motion.  That's what didn't happen.  If Reggie had been set prior to going in motion then there wouldn't have been a penalty.  My understanding anyway.

I thought a player cant be moving forward at the snap..any other motion not by an interior lineman is OK as long as here is only one man in motion at the time.

The ref thought he saw something he didnt

I thought a player cant be moving forward at the snap..any other motion not by an interior lineman is OK as long as here is only one man in motion at the time.

The ref thought he saw something he didnt

Mike Pereira disagrees with you.  Players must be set for a full second.  If a player goes in motion then he either has to be set for a full second before going in motion, or go in motion and then set for one full second before the ball is snapped.  According to Pereira, Wayne was not set before he went in motion.  If he had been set before going into motion then there would not have been a penalty.  

@MikePereira: regarding IND illegal shift... 87 never came set. He went in motion before setting - foul every time.

He is the Former Vice President of officiating

As much as I hate to say it, that was the right call. Reggie didn't stop and get set, it was sort of a lazy way of trying to stop and that doesn't work.

Those little differences make all the difference. Luck huts the ball a quarter of a second later and it's a tie game.

As much as I hate to say it, that was the right call. Reggie didn't stop and get set, it was sort of a lazy way of trying to stop and that doesn't work.

Those little differences make all the difference. Luck huts the ball a quarter of a second later and it's a tie game.

Yes, it's great the old turkey necks see the violations that have zero bearing on the game, but league wide they miss blatant, potentially game changing penalties.