Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck To Blame As Well

unitaswestand

A blown block (Brown) ended the game.

Luck managed to stay upright a few times when most QB's would go down. He wasn't perfect by any means but, like I said, I don't believe he was the biggest problem.

This game was not lost on a missed block by Brown. It was lost from the lack of talent on both the lines. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of hard to find check downs where there is a linebacker or defensive end in your face. Luck is lucky to find his 1st receiver let alone have the time with progression looks. 

Many times a Linebacker or DE is in his face cause he hangs onto the ball to long or his wr's cant get open

There are several that will jump on anyone who dare question the greatness of Andrew Luck. He is a very good young QB, possibly soon to be great but he still has some learning to do and experience to gain before he may or may not get to greatness. Some, however, are already willing to give him his HOF jacket. I also never said that there aren't posters here who relish in Luck making mistakes and yes it's very obvious what their agenda is. Of course there are and the majority of them are trolls that I pay very little attention to. But back to the OP who was simply pointing out that Andrew does deserve some of the blame himself, here are just a few posts either outright saying or at least implying that Luck should get no blame for the loss today:

It's not always the offensive line's fault, or Coby Fleener's fault, or Pep Hamilton's fault. Sometimes, even the great Luck himself is going to screw up and have a bad play.

haha there are threads after threads, and pages after pages of posters complaining about our OLine and how bad it is, but if you mention how bad it is after a game it's letting Luck off the hook? That's just silly. If its true midweek, it's true after a loss.

I'm confused as to why you quoted my earlier post. As if again I'm saying Andrew had nothing to do with losing, which I didn't.

Luck didn't play superb, but did we lose from one single int? Not even a little. If that's what you, or anyone else thinks, feel free not to reply because that's just dumb.

Did the OLine play great? No. Did the D? No. So while your willing to say that means I'm giving Luck none of the blame, I say I'm simply prioritizing it from my perspective. Because outside that INT I thought Luck played a really good game. Especially coming from behind 0-14 with the D letting Miami walk down the field at will.

So this overriding need to "Blame" players who did what they could, and actually played well while other phases flat out didn't. Makes no sense to me. Does that imply I think Luck takes no criticism for the mistakes he did make? Not at all. But for me there are bigger fish to fry.

Be sure to start a "Reggie, DHB, Brown, Bradshaw, Mathis, TY, Werner, Pagano, Landry" blame thread too. Only fair right? Because new forum rules dictate we must tell players who played okay/good they deserve blame.

Obviously I'm telling Reggie he's perfect and makes no mistakes because I don't blame him for the loss yesterday.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, September 16, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by Superman, September 16, 2013 - inflammatory

When will some us start watching and timing??  It is not rocket science. We watched and Luck don't have the time he needs. Then you say it's not a fair comparison and then did it anyway. 

If you can't see that he is extremely slow at locating his targets and getting rid of the ball then your fandom has had a serious effect on your vision. I did say it wasn't a fair comparison because when you compare him in any way to Peyton Manning it will be nearly impossible for him to measure up. I saw Peyton's games from the very first and by the second year, he was very near being what he is now. The record didn't show it but the eyes showed you it was there. What he is getting for time would have been plenty enough for Peyton Manning and it was for years.

haha there are threads after threads, and pages after pages of posters complaining about our OLine and how bad it is, but if you mention how bad it is after a game it's letting Luck off the hook? That's just silly. If its true midweek, it's true after a loss.

Yes, the OL is a work in progress though I don't think it's as absolutely horrible as some people are saying it is.  Some people are looking at stats alone, number of sacks and QB hits, and assuming the OL is entirely to fault and that's simply not true.  The majority of those have come on blitzes where the OL picked up who they were supposed to, but someone somewhere missed a blitz pickup. The fault for that would not go on the OL and in some cases, the fault goes on Luck for not recognizing the blitz and getting the ball out of his hand early enough.  There are several who say that Luck has no fault at all because the protection is so bad, and while the protection has been bad at times, there are still other times when Luck brings the sack or hit on himself by holding onto the ball too long or not reading a blitz quickly enough.

I'm confused as to why you quoted my earlier post. As if again I'm saying Andrew had nothing to do with losing, which I didn't.

The OP's post indicated that he felt, and rightly so, that does deserve some of the blame in the loss yesterday.  Your reply:

Yeah, I too think Luck should have better anticipated that Brown would let a defender run at him virtually unblocked on the last play. 

Gotta use your noggin kid.

Perhaps I misunderstood and if so then I apologize, but I took this as a sarcastic comment toward the OP.  You sarcastically said that Luck should have anticipated Brown would blow a blocking assignment, which clearly no one can do.  So this reads to me like you were saying that Luck in fact does not have any blame in the loss.  

Luck didn't play superb, but did we lose from one single int? Not even a little. If that's what you, or anyone else thinks, feel free not to reply because that's just dumb.

I never said that, and the only people who are saying that are trolls.  I would have thought you would have known that.

Did the OLine play great? No. Did the D? No. So while your willing to say that means I'm giving Luck none of the blame, I say I'm simply prioritizing it from my perspective. Because outside that INT I thought Luck played a really good game. Especially coming from behind 0-14 with the D letting Miami walk down the field at will.

Well again, I don't think the OL was as terrible as many are making it out to be nor was the defense.  They are both a work in progress and hopefully will improve with experience playing together but yes, you are correct in that they did not play great.  I also understand what you mean by prioritizing.  However, the OP never said Luck was more to blame than the OL or the defense.  He merely stated that Luck did play a part in the loss as well.

Be sure to start a "Reggie, DHB, Brown, Bradshaw, Mathis, TY, Werner, Pagano, Landry" blame thread too. Only fair right? Because new forum rules dictate we must tell players who played okay/good they deserve blame.

I didn't start THIS thread, so why would I start any of those? 

Yes, the OL is a work in progress though I don't think it's as absolutely horrible as some people are saying it is. Some people are looking at stats alone, number of sacks and QB hits, and assuming the OL is entirely to fault and that's simply not true. The majority of those have come on blitzes where the OL picked up who they were supposed to, but someone somewhere missed a blitz pickup. The fault for that would not go on the OL and in some cases, the fault goes on Luck for not recognizing the blitz and getting the ball out of his hand early enough. There are several who say that Luck has no fault at all because the protection is so bad, and while the protection has been bad at times, there are still other times when Luck brings the sack or hit on himself by holding onto the ball too long or not reading a blitz quickly enough.

The OP's post indicated that he felt, and rightly so, that does deserve some of the blame in the loss yesterday. Your reply:

Perhaps I misunderstood and if so then I apologize, but I took this as a sarcastic comment toward the OP. You sarcastically said that Luck should have anticipated Brown would blow a blocking assignment, which clearly no one can do. So this reads to me like you were saying that Luck in fact does not have any blame in the loss.

I never said that, and the only people who are saying that are trolls. I would have thought you would have known that.

Well again, I don't think the OL was as terrible as many are making it out to be nor was the defense. They are both a work in progress and hopefully will improve with experience playing together but yes, you are correct in that they did not play great. I also understand what you mean by prioritizing. However, the OP never said Luck was more to blame than the OL or the defense. He merely stated that Luck did play a part in the loss as well.

I didn't start THIS thread, so why would I start any of those?

Lol I not once quoted the OP or even referenced him. I was speaking, likely mostly, to those who decided to come on the boards just to trash Luck.

I feel like we're actually on the same page, but a lot of the things I'm saying your attributing to things I don't mean.

I stated, likely in another thread, that Andrew has to take a bite of the "blame pie" but not the biggest bite IMO.

So clearly if you weren't trolling, or starting ridiculously dumb threads, assume I wasn't referencing posters like yourself who actually think haha.

I also think the OLine played better yesterday, but consistency was a huge issue. Reggie disappeared I feel. I'm afraid he got nicked up early on in the game. Hopefully he's good. Luck got antcy late in the game, and was definitely pressing. However, I'm a firm believer in winning as a team and losing as a team. So I try to avoid blaming one player for losses period, unless its truly a horrid horrid performance.

One of Grimes' relatives tweeted about Luck

https://mobile.twitter.com/iHeartMiko/status/379392604254654464

I hope Karma comes back and bites her for that.

We ultimately lost the game because of Reggie Wayne when it comes down to it. He wasn't in place before the ball was snapped which happened to be a TD catch by Fleener. If we had that, it would have been a Colt's W.

Lol I not once quoted the OP or even referenced him. I was speaking, likely mostly, to those who decided to come on the boards just to trash Luck.

Gotcha...it appeared to me initially as if you were referring to the OP since you posted in his thread, and I didn't see hardly any of the Luck trashing trolls in this thread so that's where the confusion was.  I agree we are essentially on the same page, you were just reacting to people in other threads who were trashing Luck saying the loss was all on him while I was reacting to people in other threads who claim Luck is the 2nd coming and can do no wrong. I think the TROLLS are making us CRAZY!  lol

trolls-en.jpg

We ultimately lost the game because of Reggie Wayne when it comes down to it. He wasn't in place before the ball was snapped which happened to be a TD catch by Fleener. If we had that, it would have been a Colt's W.

Or maybe Luck should have waited another second to snap the ball.  Just another perspective. ;)

It's kind of hard to find check downs where there is a linebacker or defensive end in your face. Luck is lucky to find his 1st receiver let alone have the time with progression looks.

No doubt.Also, as he matures he will be able to make pre-snap reads, which will help him get the ball out quicker. I am talking more about the plays when he has time and is waiting for the long pass to open up down field. I would like him to find his check down if the long pass isn't open.

I totally agree. He is void of criticism on this board and people need to accept he didn't get it done today. Fleener was WIDE open for the go ahead TD and he missed him. Other way about with a Fleener drop and the board would explode...

The thread is dedicated to holding him accountable for his mistakes. What kind of criticism should he be subjected to?

I know this isn't that case, but these first two weeks with the Colts, it seems for the first few drives, the Colts will go up and down the field and have a highly effectively offense.  Then, it changes to where they suddenly either get conservative or just throw a long ball to a covered guy.  Really long lulls in action.   It is too bad they aren't going more fast developing plays.  I know this is the No Coast offense, but in the west coast offense you normally have a lot of 3 step drop, quick passes.  I am not seeing that consistently.

He STANK last year on short timing throws. His throws were late (back shoulder) hundreds of times.

HERE, those ALL should have been caught. Give him a couple years.

He may know the playbook but it doesn`t mean he thinks fast.

Castonzo got destroyed last season but it also provided an escape alley giving Andrew the time he needed to throw all the long passes.

Defenses started staying in their rush lanes making Luck throw from the pocket.

As i recall, (lol) 4 of the last 5 regular games last year Luck threw for less than 200 yds. 3 games under 50%, 1 at 50%.

He has a lot to improve on. Will he be a pouty face and play with happy feet his first 5 years? Naa!

Now tell us some more about Donalds being a good blocker.

Was that Angerer getting smoked for 67 yds as Bethea showed off those Pro Bowl Safety ball skills? Geez!

I totally agree. He is void of criticism on this board and people need to accept he didn't get it done today. Fleener was WIDE open for the go ahead TD and he missed him. Other way about with a Fleener drop and the board would explode...

I would like to see a replay of that play if it was the near pick at the end. From my seats, it looked to me like maybe Fleener was supposed to cut the route short as i think Luck was being blitzed on the play.  The ball looked like it went to where Fleener was at before he continued his route over the middle.  I could be wrong though.

He STANK last year on short timing throws. His throws were late (back shoulder) hundreds of times.

HERE, those ALL should have been caught. Give him a couple years.

He may know the playbook but it doesn`t mean he thinks fast.

Castonzo got destroyed last season but it also provided an escape alley giving Andrew the time he needed to throw all the long passes.

Defenses started staying in their rush lanes making Luck throw from the pocket.

As i recall, (lol) 4 of the last 5 regular games last year Luck threw for less than 200 yds. 3 games under 50%, 1 at 50%.

He has a lot to improve on. Will he be a pouty face and play with happy feet his first 5 years? Naa!

Now tell us some more about Donalds being a good blocker.

Was that Angerer getting smoked for 67 yds as Bethea showed off those Pro Bowl Safety ball skills? Geez!

Hundreds of times?  :sigh:

Andrew Luck will be a great player, but right now he holds the ball too long.  I know it is vogue to blame everything on Castonzo.  We all know McGlynn and Satele aren't good.   But you can't hold the ball that long on every play.  Yeah, teams are blitzing more.  Hit the hot read.   We have seen a pattern the last two weeks.  Blitz Luck up the middle and he struggles.  Maybe it is Peps play calling.  

I have been saying this for a long time. I am getting blasted and called a troll on other threads for saying the same thing. They think I am saying that he has a slow release but that isn't the problem. He holds onto the ball too long trying to get to his primary receivers and he just will not just get the ball to his check down receiver. Any offensive line can only hold for so long and Luck keeps them under constant stress. If he really opened up that short quick game, he would start getting a little more time to work on those down field passes. Why aren't they calling you a troll?

I have been saying this for a long time. I am getting blasted and called a troll on other threads for saying the same thing. They think I am saying that he has a slow release but that isn't the problem. He holds onto the ball too long trying to get to his primary receivers and he just will not just get the ball to his check down receiver. Any offensive line can only hold for so long and Luck keeps them under constant stress. If he really opened up that short quick game, he would start getting a little more time to work on those down field passes. Why aren't they calling you a troll?

Do you watch tape?  Is there always a check down receiver open?   It's easy for people to say "he needs to use the checkdown" when they wanna criticize Luck.  But, the checkdown option is not always available.  If it were, the Colts and every other team in the NFL would "checkdown" right down the field for 7 all day long.

Luck was pressured heavily twice out of 4 plays in the closing series in the Miami game.  Was it a result of him holding the ball too long and not using his checkdown or was it playcalling as well as sub par blocking? I have seen the pics and there isn't a "checkdown" receiver on any of those plays.  In fact, Luck's biggest mistake was probably not taking off and running with the ball on 3rd down. I know this is just one series in a long game, but still shows it's not always as simple as just checking down on every play. There are other factors that figure into this.

Do you watch tape?  Is there always a check down receiver open?   It's easy for people to say "he needs to use the checkdown" when they wanna criticize Luck.  But, the checkdown option is not always available.  If it were, the Colts and every other team in the NFL would "checkdown" right down the field for 7 all day long.

Luck was pressured heavily twice out of 4 plays in the closing series in the Miami game.  Was it a result of him holding the ball too long and not using his checkdown or was it playcalling as well as sub par blocking? I have seen the pics and there isn't a "checkdown" receiver on any of those plays.  In fact, Luck's biggest mistake was probably not taking off and running with the ball on 3rd down. I know this is just one series in a long game, but still shows it's not always as simple as just checking down on every play. There are other factors that figure into this.

I watch the All 22.......The checkdown is there on many plays as well as other underneath routes

Colts seem to disagree if you listen to Pagano's presser let's see if we get an I am sorry letter for the league.

Look no one single play cost us the game because we had other chances we didn't take advantage of this was a team loss we didn't get it done.

Do you watch tape? Is there always a check down receiver open? It's easy for people to say "he needs to use the checkdown" when they wanna criticize Luck. But, the checkdown option is not always available. If it were, the Colts and every other team in the NFL would "checkdown" right down the field for 7 all day long.

Luck was pressured heavily twice out of 4 plays in the closing series in the Miami game. Was it a result of him holding the ball too long and not using his checkdown or was it playcalling as well as sub par blocking? I have seen the pics and there isn't a "checkdown" receiver on any of those plays. In fact, Luck's biggest mistake was probably not taking off and running with the ball on 3rd down. I know this is just one series in a long game, but still shows it's not always as simple as just checking down on every play. There are other factors that figure into this.

pagano said on his radio show tonight that Luck didnt see Whalen was wide open on the long bomb to Reggie and that Luck needs to do better at finding those guys and that Andrew knows it. That's one play though. I'd agree its hard to get to your check down on every play especially the ones where he is under pressure as soon as they snap it.

Colts seem to disagree if you listen to Pagano's presser let's see if we get an I am sorry letter for the league.

Look no one single play cost us the game because we had other chances we didn't take advantage of this was a team loss we didn't get it done.

Mike Pereira apparently disagrees with the Colts.  He confirmed the penalty for illegal shift was correct saying Wayne was not set before going in motion and did not get set after going in motion which is a penalty every time.  His words.