Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic Draft

In this hypothetical draft scenario we have the second overall pick. Also I believe you will find this one is more realistic to happen then my other one. No trade downs involved, just straight up our 7 picks.

1st round: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina, 6-4, 229lbs - Reggie is getting old and nobody is consistently consistent behind him other than Clark. With the drafting of Jeffery, we allow him to learn from under Reggie and help him work on his routes and we get our big red zone target we have all craved for years.

2nd round: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina, 6-1,193lbs - In the second round we consecutively pick another Gamecock. Gilmore is arguably the second best corner in the nation. He is more of a man-to-man type of corner. Sticks with his receiver till the whistle blows and can tackle in the open field. He draws comparisons to that of Charles Woodson.

3rd round: Jaye Howard, DT, Florida, 6-3, 303lbs

4th round: Keenan Robinson, OLB/MLB, Texas, 6-3, 240lbs

5th round: Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame, 6-2, 215lbs

6th round: Christian Tupou, DT, USC, 6-2,300lbs

7th round: Antoine McClain, OG, Clemson, 6-5, 335lbs

I'd rather have oline or dline in the first two rounds.

Who then? Unless a career threatening injury occurs to Ijalana or Castonzo then we're set at both tackle spots. OT's are the most likely taken in the first round. OG's and C's tend to be taken in the 2nd and 3rd round. So I could see a case made for using the only 2nd round pick on the best OG available but we should still be able to get a very good guard in the 3rd round...especially since we'll be picking at the top of the round instead of the bottom.

As for DL...unless they want to go with an elite DE who can play both the run and pass, there really isn't a DT that is "that awesome" that we should take him in the first round. Brandon Thompson would be worth mentioning but definitely not in the top 5. This would require a trade back to the middle of the round otherwise we're not getting the best value for that #2 pick.

I'd say I'd rather have Quinton Coples, or Matt Kalil if we stay in the top 5. If we trade back i'd take Brandon Thompson, if we traded way back in the first i'd take Dave Decastro. If we trade back in the first and have two second Rounders and took thompson in the first i'd look at de and ss in the second round. I'm not counting on mathis coming back, just don't think we can afford him and we will want to get bigger at LDE. Even if hughes shows some promise this year we will need a DE. Ijalana has not been on the field enough to count on him at RT. I still see him more at Guard, just my opinion. I think our biggest thing in the draft is to find players to help the running game and protecting manning and stopping the run.

If we can't get Luck with our first pick (so, essentially, if we don't have the first overall selection), I think we should trade down and acquire more picks. I do like your draft though. Imagine having an Andre Johnson like receiver with Peyton! Our secondary really needs to be addressed too, so I like to see us go SS earlier than what you have.

I watched chiefs game today, this is what i'm talking about, our dt's can't stop the run, we cant run the ball effectively, don't know how drafting a wr in the first round or future qb will help fix our main problems?

And the fact remains there isn't a dominant DT worth the #2 overall pick, which imo is all the more reason to trade down. If we can talk Cleveland out of their first 2 picks (I could see them packaging them together for someone like Kalil, Jeffrey or Coples) then we move back to the mid to late areas of the first round where we could get Manti Te'o MLB and Josh Chapman DT. Then we can use the top pick in the second round for a CB because there will be several very talented CB's available at the top of the 2nd. I'd love to have Morris Claiborn CB from LSU but he's also projecting as a first round pick now so he'd have to slip to the top of the 2nd.

If we don't go DT early then Jaye Howard is my top choice for a mid-round DT. And I know some people want to address SS earlier but Harrison Smith has a lot of potential and could be very close to the next John Lynch.

everyone keeps talking about how the pats and the browns are the only two teams with two picks in the first round. if andrew luck is really as good as people say he is, teams are going to go crazy trying to trade into the first round in order to have more than 1 pick in the first round in order to trade that away. can that happen?

everyone keeps talking about how the pats and the browns are the only two teams with two picks in the first round. if andrew luck is really as good as people say he is, teams are going to go crazy trying to trade into the first round in order to have more than 1 pick in the first round in order to trade that away. can that happen?

A great thought but very unlikely. When you see teams with 2 picks in the first round it's because they acquired the extra one in a trade the year before. Very, very seldom has a team traded to get a second first round pick that same year in order to package the 2 of them together. However, a multi-team trade wouldn't be completely out of the question and might have been what you were getting at.

Perhaps a team like Oakland would send us their first round 2012 pick, and then send a team like NE their 2013 first round pick and NE gets an alternate player and/or draft pick compensation while we also get one of NE's first round picks in 2012. Remember Oakland also has 2 second round picks in 2012. I wouldn't mind making a deal with Oakland to get their 2012 first, 2 2012 seconds and then whatever else we can squeeze from them in later rounds and picks for next year.

And what happens if Luck chooses to return to Stanford for his senior year?

I thought he stayed at Stanford to get his degree. Am I wrong? If he did, he would have already graduated and would have to take MORE unnecessary classes just to use his 5th year of eligibility. By normal standards, he's a senior. But, because they redshirted him, he can be a super senior next year.

A great thought but very unlikely. When you see teams with 2 picks in the first round it's because they acquired the extra one in a trade the year before. Very, very seldom has a team traded to get a second first round pick that same year in order to package the 2 of them together. However, a multi-team trade wouldn't be completely out of the question and might have been what you were getting at.

Perhaps a team like Oakland would send us their first round 2012 pick, and then send a team like NE their 2013 first round pick and NE gets an alternate player and/or draft pick compensation while we also get one of NE's first round picks in 2012. Remember Oakland also has 2 second round picks in 2012. I wouldn't mind making a deal with Oakland to get their 2012 first, 2 2012 seconds and then whatever else we can squeeze from them in later rounds and picks for next year.

If we only get their first round, two 2nd rounds, and then some other picks, that would not be a good deal, if we're talking about the number 1 pick. Remember, last year the falcons set the standard with trading for the number 6 pick. and the number 6 pick compared to the number 1 pick is huuuuge

If we only get their first round, two 2nd rounds, and then some other picks, that would not be a good deal, if we're talking about the number 1 pick. Remember, last year the falcons set the standard with trading for the number 6 pick. and the number 6 pick compared to the number 1 pick is huuuuge

I should have specified more clearly, I meant "whatever we can squeeze out of them in later rounds"....plus picks the following year with a minimum of a 1st round pick in 2013. Also with the Atlanta trade, you have to take into account how high Atlanta moved up. they went from 27 to 6 so that's jumping the majority of the first round. So take that into account but also the QB > WR and there's a lot of speculation as to what exactly we could get in return. I was simply using the 1st round/2-2nd rounds and 1st round in 2013 as a base minimum. :)

honestly, I'd like to see the trade happen if for no other reason than to see exactly what type of compensation we would get for the Luck pick. lol

Edited by Jason

I thought he stayed at Stanford to get his degree. Am I wrong? If he did, he would have already graduated and would have to take MORE unnecessary classes just to use his 5th year of eligibility. By normal standards, he's a senior. But, because they redshirted him, he can be a super senior next year.

He did, but if he decided he did not like the potential landing spot like Elway didn't want to play for the Colts, he could return to Stanford's graduate school (an outstanding school) and continue to play his final year

In this hypothetical draft scenario we have the second overall pick. Also I believe you will find this one is more realistic to happen then my other one. No trade downs involved, just straight up our 7 picks.

1st round: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina, 6-4, 229lbs - Reggie is getting old and nobody is consistently consistent behind him other than Clark. With the drafting of Jeffery, we allow him to learn from under Reggie and help him work on his routes and we get our big red zone target we have all craved for years.

2nd round: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina, 6-1,193lbs - In the second round we consecutively pick another Gamecock. Gilmore is arguably the second best corner in the nation. He is more of a man-to-man type of corner. Sticks with his receiver till the whistle blows and can tackle in the open field. He draws comparisons to that of Charles Woodson.

I'd like to present the other scenario, let us say the Colts have pick no.2 or no.3. Since the Browns need a WR badly, they trade picks No.8/9 and No.18 (they got from Falcons for Julio Jones) to the Colts for pick No.2/3.

Round 1 pick No.8: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU, 6'0, 185, 4.45 (in the first round, a mid first round pick going before No.10 is not that much of a reach to me, we have had such reaches before where Marlin Jackson, supposed to go in the middle of or the end of round 2 was chosen in the end of round 1)

Round 1 pick No.18: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson, 6'2, 310, 5.04

Round 2 pick No.2: Stephen Gilmore, CB, South Carolina, 6'1, 193, 4.52

Round 3 pick No.2: Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina, 6'4, 225, 4.53

Round 4 pick No.2: Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin, 6'4", 318, 5.26

Round 5 pick No.2: Antonio Allen, SS, South Carolina, 6'1", 202, 4.57 (we get 2 parts of the currently stellar Gamecocks secondary)

Round 6 pick No.2: Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas, 6'2", 245, 4.79

Round 7 pick No.2: Tydreke Powell, DT, North Carolina, 6'3", 310, 5.22

Edited by chad72

I'd like to present the other scenario, let us say the Colts have pick no.2 or no.3. Since the Browns need a WR badly, they trade picks No.8/9 and No.18 (they got from Falcons for Julio Jones) to the Colts for pick No.2/3.

Round 1 pick No.8: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU, 6'0, 185, 4.45 (in the first round, a mid first round pick going before No.10 is not that much of a reach to me, we have had such reaches before where Marlin Jackson, supposed to go in the middle of or the end of round 2 was chosen in the end of round 1)

Round 1 pick No.18: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson, 6'2, 310, 5.04

Round 2 pick No.2: Stephen Gilmore, CB, South Carolina, 6'1, 193, 4.52

Round 3 pick No.2: Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina, 6'4, 225, 4.53

Round 4 pick No.2: Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin, 6'4", 318, 5.26

Round 5 pick No.2: Antonio Allen, SS, South Carolina, 6'1", 202, 4.57 (we get 2 parts of the currently stellar Gamecocks secondary)

Round 6 pick No.2: Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas, 6'2", 245, 4.79

Round 7 pick No.2: Tydreke Powell, DT, North Carolina, 6'3", 310, 5.22

If we wound up in that scenario, which I would love, I would personally rather take either Brandon Thompson or Josh Chapman along with Manti Te'o in the first round and then Gilmore in the second. I know our secondary is weak but I don't think we spend 2 picks that high, especially in a pretty strong draft class for CB. I could see a 1st/2nd and then a 4th/5th on a CB but personally I don't see a 1st and 2nd. I'd rather add one great CB and an elite LB. :)

If we wound up in that scenario, which I would love, I would personally rather take either Brandon Thompson or Josh Chapman along with Manti Te'o in the first round and then Gilmore in the second. I know our secondary is weak but I don't think we spend 2 picks that high, especially in a pretty strong draft class for CB. I could see a 1st/2nd and then a 4th/5th on a CB but personally I don't see a 1st and 2nd. I'd rather add one great CB and an elite LB. :)

Look at our depth chart, to be honest. Chris Rucker and Kevin Thomas have not shown me much so far. Yeah, rookies, injuries can be excuses but when you find a gem, it shows up on the field like Powers did in year 1. Outside that, Tryon and Hayden are gone and Lacey is at best a nickel guy.

We need 2 starters out of the draft for the CB position, period :). That is why I believe 2 out of our first 3 picks will be secondary picks.

2 ways to look at a strong CB class. We can get quality later as well but then, the quality you get early in round 1 & 2 for the CB corp. in the 2012 draft will be better than the quality you might get early if we still have to pick CB in 2013. Quality O-line draft in 2011, we went OT in round 1 and 2, just saying :).

Edited by chad72

Look at our depth chart, to be honest. Chris Rucker and Kevin Thomas have not shown me much so far. Yeah, rookies, injuries can be excuses but when you find a gem, it shows up on the field like Powers did in year 1. Outside that, Tryon and Hayden are gone and Lacey is at best a nickel guy.

We need 2 starters out of the draft for the CB position, period :). That is why I believe 2 out of our first 3 picks will be secondary picks.

2 ways to look at a strong CB class. We can get quality later as well but then, the quality you get early in round 1 & 2 for the CB corp. in the 2012 draft will be better than the quality you might get early if we still have to pick CB in 2013. Quality O-line draft in 2011, we went OT in round 1 and 2, just saying :).

True..one other thing to consider though is that Powers could be moved to the #2 spot, so by adding one new CB to be the #1, we improve both starting CB spots and the best between Lacey, Johnson, Rucker and Thomas move to the nickel CB and the rest are depth. Or are you saying to release Powers? That's why I say take another talented CB a little later that can challenge immediately for the Nickel CB position and for depth and maybe, hopefully, this guy develops into a better CB than Powers and takes over the #2 spot.

Overall there are a lot of different ways we could go. I could probably post about 10 different variations of mock drafts that would all be equally effective in improving the team. :)

Or are you saying to release Powers?

No, given Powers' propensity and our DBs' propensity for injuries consistently, it might be wise to invest in 2 quality starter material CBs.

Look at the Saints, they invested in Malcolm Jenkins, CB out of Ohio State (pick 14 in 2008) and Tracy Porter, CB out of Indiana (pick 40 in 2009), one in round 1 and the other in round 2. They got Jabari Greer, CB from Bills in free agency. They got Darren Sharper, FS from Minnesota in free agency.

After winning the SB, what did they do in the draft, that is right, they draft Patrick Robinson, CB from Florida State (pick 32 in 2010). In the SB year, Porter and Greer had several injuries at different times but got healthy towards the end of the season. They played a bend-but-dont-break-with-timely-blitzing for the most part with smaller but speedier players (ring a bell :)) and their run D had issues and their DBs got injured constantly (ring a bell again??? :)). The reason they have been able to get quality production out of their secondary is because of their drafting for it. Let go of Sharper, used Jenkins as free safety where he has been doing real well.

If we need to withstand an injury or two (which we have had plenty of to our CBs and the entire DB corp. as well the last 4-5 years) without dropoff in quality production, make the investment and make it early and make it NOW :). Because we did not invest round 1 or 2 picks on O-line for the longest time, we had to go 1 and 2 in 2011. Same with CB, IMO in 2012.

Edited by chad72

Those are indeed exceptional talents. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, though I lean towards the CB.

I'd love to get Michael Floyd and Morris Claiborn. Let Cleveland have our early first round pick and take Jeffery so we can slide back, get their 2 first round picks and get Floyd and Claiborn. :D Though this doesn't help us also get Te'o. Realistically though, I think I'd personally skip WR for a while due to the depth at the position, take a guy in the 4th/5th round and then come around and use one of our multiple first round picks in 2013 (assuming the trade down) on an elite WR. :)

I will admit I have no where near the knowledge you have in college players. But if we have the 2nd pick, is WR really the most pressing need? Shouldn't we be looking at the top Offensive linemen or defesive linemen that are on the board? Are there none at those position worth a 2 pick?

And what happens if Luck chooses to return to Stanford for his senior year?

I would be shocked. He will be the number 1 pick, with the new labor agreement he will get the max of what he can this year, what reason would he have to go back?

What ever the Colts decide to do and take, I think the key here is knowing that this draft isn't going to turn around a franchise that has gotten old in key spots and needs to look at his scheme philosophy in a few areas. If they can't get Luck then they really need to look at making key drastic changes in philiosophy and drafting.

I will admit I have no where near the knowledge you have in college players. But if we have the 2nd pick, is WR really the most pressing need? Shouldn't we be looking at the top Offensive linemen or defesive linemen that are on the board? Are there none at those position worth a 2 pick?

There really isn't a DT worth the top 5 pick. If we trade down into the middle of the first round then we could get either Brandon Thompson from Clemson or Josh Chapman from Alabama. If we don't get either of these 2 I think we'll wait until the 3rd or 4th round for either Kawann Short of Purdue or Jaye Howard from Florida.

Jerel Worthy and Alameda Ta'amu are projected also as first round picks but they're more the UT, so they'd be in the same position as Nevis, Moala and Foster (if he returns). The guys I mentioned first are both NT's so would compete with Antonio Johnson for starting NT role.

As for OL...there's no one in the top 5 that we need. The only OL that go that early are OT's and we drafted our 2 bookend OT's last year in Ijalana and Castonzo. I could definitely see us drafting a OG or C but not until the late first round at the very earliest, but more likely in the 2nd or 3rd round.

From what I read about this draft class for DT's, it's that they are good at holding the point of attack, but aren't making as many plays in the backfield. I figured guys like Jerel Worthy and Marcus Forston would be good picks for the colts at NT.

Also, what is this restriction thing? "You can make 1 more posts until 14 October 2011 - 11:53 AM. This restriction is in place until you have 2 more approved posts" It is getting annoying.

Jason, you are on a wise streak, my friend.

Ijalana proved he could play, and that was out of position at LT. I'm guessing he will be the full-time RT starter next year from day 1. Castonzo is definitely the LT of the future in Indianapolis.

Some are suggesting ridiculous picks like Matt Kalil. As good as he is, it's a superfluous pick for us, and I hope we trade down if he's the BPA when it comes time. There's no sense in moving Castonzo and Ijalana around just to give the start to another rookie, thus rearranging whatever continuity we hoped to attain this year (and the next off-season).

So next years o-line should look something like this?

LT- Anthony Castonzo

LG- Joe Reitz

C- Mike pollak (if saturday retires)

RG- I really don't know. Diem could retire too and idk who will take this spot

RT- Ben Ijalana

Sound about right? or am I way off lol?

I don't think Saturday retires unless his body just completely quits on him. This would be a terrible year for him to go out on.

trading is the answer in this draft. Its either Luck or trade back for picks. I say we trade our first which will likely be between 1-3 and grab as many picks as possible. I kind of want the colts to get the number 1 pick so that they can trade down 1 spot to Miami, load up on picks cause the dolphins will be desperate for luck. maybe even get a quality defender in the trade (i.e sean smith, vontae davis, cameron wake) unlikely but who knows. and then trade back again to around the 8-12 range and grab either kirkpatrick or Burfict. We get a quality player with the first and then 3 picks in the top 10 or so in the 2nd. grab 2 DBs with those 3 picks.

Maybe, if we trade down to bottom of round 1, we can take a project with Ryan Tannehill, he is impressing me with every game he is playing. Given how the NFL is featuring more and more 4 WR or 3 WR/1 TE formations, spread QBs like Cam Newton and Tim Tebow will have a chance to shine, IMO. That is why Ryan Tannehill might make sense if we can protect him on both flanks with Castanzo and Ijalana for the future and let him learn for a few years under Peyton.

Maybe, if we trade down to bottom of round 1, we can take a project with Ryan Tannehill, he is impressing me with every game he is playing. Given how the NFL is featuring more and more 4 WR or 3 WR/1 TE formations, spread QBs like Cam Newton and Tim Tebow will have a chance to shine, IMO. That is why Ryan Tannehill might make sense if we can protect him on both flanks with Castanzo and Ijalana for the future and let him learn for a few years under Peyton.

An interesting observation. Perhaps it's a risk, though a calculated one, that could give the Colts a leg-up moving into the next era.

I will have to study Tannehill a bit further. Unless...you are completely joking... :dunno:

An interesting observation. Perhaps it's a risk, though a calculated one, that could give the Colts a leg-up moving into the next era.

I will have to study Tannehill a bit further. Unless...you are completely joking... :dunno:

I haven't been unimpressed with Tannehil, but at the same time I haven't been overly impressed either. Of the later QB's it'll take a lot for any of them to impress me to the point that Nick Foles has. So far my preference with the later QB's goes Foles > Cousins > Tannehill > RG3 > Kellen Moore with the differences between Cousins and Tannehill being marginal and the same goes for RG3 and Moore.

I haven't been unimpressed with Tannehil, but at the same time I haven't been overly impressed either. Of the later QB's it'll take a lot for any of them to impress me to the point that Nick Foles has. So far my preference with the later QB's goes Foles > Cousins > Tannehill > RG3 > Kellen Moore with the differences between Cousins and Tannehill being marginal and the same goes for RG3 and Moore.

To me, it is harder to evaluate Cousins' passing given Michigan State's propensity to run more & play D while that is not the case with Texas A & M who make no bones about passing being the staple of their offense. Cousins did not look that good today, really not sure if I'd put him ahead of Tannehill. Foles, I am yet to catch a game, so I will have to watch him more closely.

To me, it is harder to evaluate Cousins' passing given Michigan State's propensity to run more & play D while that is not the case with Texas A & M who make no bones about passing being the staple of their offense. Cousins did not look that good today, really not sure if I'd put him ahead of Tannehill. Foles, I am yet to catch a game, so I will have to watch him more closely.

I agree I wouldn't put Cousins ahead of Tannehill. In fact, I don't see what people see in Cousins at all. IMO he is a below average QB that will probably end up being drafted late in the draft. Right now Tannehill would be 4th on my list behind Luck, Jones, and Barkley.

Edited by Balzer40