Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay speaks about the Oakland game...Demands better

Unless your project at work is broadcast on a national television network and then picked up by every media outlet in the country, it's actually a lot different.

Accountability can still be demanded in a private setting and accomplish same results. It worked for Irsay in the past.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Twitter didn't exist in 2006.

And Bill Polian and Tony Dungy were still around. I don't think Irsay was anywhere near as vocal as he's been the last two years, given that he had two well respected vets running the show. As much as we all like Grigson and Pagano, they have nowhere near the pedigree Polian and Dungy did. 

Also, Irsay just committed $140m in free agency. The fans expect a better product. He said we'd get a better product. Now he's saying "I still expect better, don't think this is what I had in mind." 

I couldn't disagree more with the Brad Wells comment. I don't know if you've been on that site in the past couple of days, but he had an article calling out Pagano for being a poor coach the other day. Irsay's tweet reads like the lyrics to a love song in comparison with any so-called criticism from Brad Wells.

Bottom line was, he didn't say a word, whether twitter or any other medium. You are right on the pedigree of Dungy and Polian.

But, if you are going to get some new employees, would you at least give them a decent length of leash and be patient? If you expect Polian like results, which Grigson delivered last year, IMO, give him Polian like respect too and don't call him out in public. How hard is that?

I don't see the Kraft family or the Rooney family calling out the coaches in public.

Would you call out arguably the greatest coach/staff in NFL history? (Belichick and co.)  In bizarro world if Brady were getting his clock cleaned for 5+ seasons I have a feeling ol' Krafty would be furious. You'll never see this happen though because BB and his staff do their jobs. BB aside, they have the best OL coaching in football. Why would Kraft call them out? Sure, the secondary needs work, but it also generates top 5 turnovers every season.

As for the Rooney family, if you see Roethlisberger continue to get hounded don't be surprised if they publicly address how bad the line has been the past few seasons. This year it's as bad/actually might be worse than ours with Pouncey done. Keep in mind, our coaching staff now is essentially theirs from the past few years. It's not a coincidence both have garbage lines.

Ok...I actually read every post and enjoyed both sides of the argument!!

I am on Jim irsay's side on this one.  He cranked out $40 million on free agents he has high expectations for them.  He more than anybody respects this team from waterboy to Reggie Wayne.  I am not a twitter tweet, but it is so 'household' now it bothers me none whatsoever.

Who was in the locker room after the game clapping at Pagano's awesome 'positive' speech?  Irsay!! (And Grigs)  These guys are willing to do ANYTHING to make OUR team better.  We should all be thrilled and just root them on...going into last year?  WOW I was worried.  Lets kick some Dolphin TAIL this week!!!  I know Irsay will be in the locker room regardless of a W or L...It is a family! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!!!

indianapolis-colts.jpg

Would you call out arguably the greatest coach/staff in NFL history? (Belichick and co.)  Even then, in bizarro world if Brady were getting his clock cleaned for 5+ seasons I have a feeling ol' Krafty would be furious. You'll never see this happen though because BB and his staff DO THEIR JOB. BB aside, they have the best OL coaching in football.

As for the Rooney family, if you see Roethlisberger continue to get hounded don't be surprised if they publicly address how bad the line has been the past few seasons.

It has happened for enough years, their O-line issues, and Mike Tomlin acknowledges it in public pressers every now and then. That is it, the Rooney family has left it alone. Irsay can easily do that.

I don't see the Kraft family or the Rooney family calling out the coaches in public. 

1) I don't believe Irsay called anyone out.

2) I don't think there needs to be any comparison of Irsay to the Rooney's or the Kraft's. Every owner is different.

I don't see the big deal in this. Frankly, he's right.

All I see is a Colts fan calling for things to be better like a lot of other Colts fans, only this particular one happens to have a lot more cash invested in that endeavor than the rest of us. I don't use Twitter myself, but I'd much rather have an owner who it's clear is an avid fan running the team over a lot of the more corporate, cookie-cutter style owners out there. Irsay brings some personality to a game that's becoming more and more refined and sanitized, and losing its character in the process. I know it's all about dollars and cents, but let's at leave some veneer of fun and "Dude, I can't believe our owner just did that" breeziness without overreacting like it's the end of the team. 

Bottom line was, he didn't say a word, whether twitter or any other medium. You are right on the pedigree of Dungy and Polian.

But, if you are going to get some new employees, would you at least give them a decent length of leash and be patient? If you expect Polian like results, which Grigson delivered last year, IMO, give him Polian like respect too and don't call him out in public. How hard is that?

He's not threatening anyone's job. He just said he wants a better product. I disagree that he called anyone out in public.

I'm not sure what's impatient about Irsay's comments. 

It has happened for enough years, their O-line issues, and Mike Tomlin acknowledges it in public pressers every now and then. That is it, the Rooney family has left it alone. Irsay can easily do that.

Why should he leave it alone? It hasn't been addressed. The fact that it's come to this speaks volumes for how much of an issue it is.

Pittsburgh O-line has been bad the past couple seasons. At the very least until this season they could run block. Give it through the end of the season, you might be surprised. Even the Rooney recluses could very well step in.

I agree for the most part.  However, as much as I like Hilton, Allen and Fleener, I would gladly trade any 2 of them for Glenn and Osemele.  It just seemed to me that they kept preaching "build the trenches first" but then in the draft that all went out the window.  I realize we were very short on skill players, but there are always skill players in FA.  I'd have rather put the emphasis in 2012 both FA and draft on the OL and then fill the rest with castoffs at skill positions if we had to just to get through that year.  Then they could have started in 2013 and on building up skill players as well.  

Like you said, lots of different opinions and lots of different paths they could have taken.  

You don't need an elite offensive line to be a SB champ in today's NFL. You do need elite playmakers at skill positions, on both offense and defense.

Why should he leave it alone? It hasn't been addressed. The fact that it's come to this speaks volumes for how much of an issue it is.

Pittsburgh O-line has been bad the past couple seasons. At the very least until this season they could run block. Give it through the end of the season, you might be surprised. Even the Rooney recluses could very well step in.

Yeah, it's usually the quietest before the storm. Irsay didn't have much to say publicly during the 2011 season either. Then Polian gets fired on Black Monday. Being vocal about concerns doesn't amount to disapproval, and silence doesn't amount to approval, either. 

I don't think it's a problem. But I think some would rather the owner be silent and invisible, and when he is seen and heard, he should only have positive things to say in public. I personally think we make too much out of wanting public figures to always say and do the exact perfect thing.

You don't need an elite offensive line to be a SB champ in today's NFL. You do need elite playmakers at skill positions, on both offense and defense.

On defense I would agree, but how many "elite" play makers did San Fran and Baltimore have on offense last year?  And I mean not including the RB's because unless you're in the neighborhood of Barry Sanders, no RB is going to consistently get positive yards behind a bad OL.

I also wouldn't call the Patriots' skill players "elite" in their SB wins in '03 and '04.  Their OL on the other hand...

On defense I would agree, but how many "elite" play makers did San Fran and Baltimore have on offense last year?  And I mean not including the RB's because unless you're in the neighborhood of Barry Sanders, no RB is going to consistently get positive yards behind a bad OL.

I also wouldn't call the Patriots' skill players "elite" in their SB wins in '03 and '04.  Their OL on the other hand...

We only ran for 1 negative play vs Raiders (Bradshaws first carry of the game for -3 yards)

SF-Kaep, Crabtree, Davis (Gore if you include RB)

Balt-Flacco, Boldin, Pitta (Rice if you include RB)

They all put up elite stats in the playoffs, and most had decent production during the regular season. IMO, the NFL is two seasons, the regular season and the playoffs. You can grind out wins various ways during the regular season, but you have to have skill position players produce at a higher level in the post season to win the SB.

So what if the radio broadcast team interviewed Irsay during the game on Sunday, and he said "I love that we won, and we only gave up 17 points, but I think we can play better, and I expressed that to the guys in charge in no uncertain terms, because our fans deserve a championship caliber product"?

I think a lot of people don't like the way Irsay tweets, and others just despise everything about Twitter to begin with. A lot of this backlash is about the medium Irsay used to express himself, not the action or the content.

This.

/endthread

When someone in charge publicly displays their displeasure, (how the team played, coached, blocked, etc...) it puts everyone on notice. Yes, the players and coaches all know what Mr. Irsay is saying and how he feels, and yes, it does matter to them.

every coach in the NFL publicly states their team needs to improve. Onwers as well.

The thing is, nobody here is asking for a steel wall in front of Luck. (Though that would be awesome.) All we're asking for is some measure of mediocrity. If coaches/players can't do that then something is seriously wrong.

2007-2011 weren't on this administration, however last season and this season are. I think we can forgive 2012 since the Polians left behind a colossal mess. We should just be thankful Luck even survived his rookie season. However, there looks to be zero improvement from 2012 and there is no excuse for that. You can blame the last guy for initial failings, but at some point it becomes your baby and you're responsible. (Unless you're the president of the US, apparently.)

I'm glad Irsay recognizes this and is calling his staff out on it. If they don't do their job, he SHOULD have a zero tolerance policy on that level of play and make them feel embarrassed. Put the heat on them. If they're not up to the task, he should find a staff that is. You can't get any worse than the worst.

Here's a good write-up from Stampedeblue (not from Wells): http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/9/11/4719646/jim-irsay-again-takes-to-twitter-to-discuss-his-team

So Pagano says speaks to the need to protect Luck to the team, coaches, and the media and Irsay follows course. I just can't understand why people are taking Irsay's comments as negative. Of note from the article:

"Chuck Pagano said in his press conference today that the number one priority this week is to "Protect 12" and that every door in the building has a big circle with the words "Protect 12" in it.

Going along with that, Irsay also could be in a way showing support for his head coach, showing that he's fully behind Pagano's emphasis this week.  Again, don't just jump to conclusions of Irsay being critical before looking at the whole picture.  And with Pagano's theme of the week being to "Protect 12," Irsay tweeting the very same words identifies himself as in agreement with and in support of his head coach."

We only ran for 1 negative play vs Raiders (Bradshaws first carry of the game for -3 yards)

Um, ok.  You joined the discussion late and clearly missed some posts.  But my biggest point to your post would be that an offensive line has more responsibility than just to run block.

SF-Kaep, Crabtree, Davis (Gore if you include RB)

Balt-Flacco, Boldin, Pitta (Rice if you include RB)

They all put up elite stats in the playoffs, and most had decent production during the regular season. IMO, the NFL is two seasons, the regular season and the playoffs. You can grind out wins various ways during the regular season, but you have to have skill position players produce at a higher level in the post season to win the SB.

I didn't ask which players put up elite numbers, I asked which players were actually "elite"...as in top 5-7 of their position.  I'll give you Vernon Davis and Boldin is borderline.  Why were these guys able to put up elite numbers?  Because they play behind great offensive lines.

What has changed about Irsay in the past two years than the previous 14...

I guess Bill had complete power over the Colts even over Jim.

Note: I don't want to hear about how everyone hates Bill. It wasn't point.

I wouldn't say Jim knows football. He is a fantastic owner, but when he tries to be the guy the Colts were terrible. He was a terrible GM, and what Jim is good at is hiring the guys who know what they are doing. Then he let's them do their thing. He is starting to go where he isn't needed. If the Colts keep winning, but Jim keeps complain Grigs and Pags are going to get tired of it.

Jim the Colts won the * game. Just shut up.

I agree with everything except that I think Jim is still letting the coaches do their thang. He's not saying "We need to protect Luck better so lets do this __________ (fill in play/scheme). He is just holding everybody accountable in my book but who knows. I don't think Grigs or Pags are going to get tired of it as they know much more can be improved. I like that Jim is so passionate about the team he owns.

Um, ok.  You joined the discussion late and clearly missed some posts.  But my biggest point to your post would be that an offensive line has more responsibility than just to run block.

I didn't ask which players put up elite numbers, I asked which players were actually "elite"...as in top 5-7 of their position.  I'll give you Vernon Davis and Boldin is borderline.  Why were these guys able to put up elite numbers?  Because they play behind great offensive lines.

We can agree to disagree, and I don't want to get into a discussion of defining the word "elite." My point is more that I think you need skill position players playing at an elite/top-tier level to win the SB in today's NFL. (I don't think Flacco is an elite QB but he sure played like one during the playoffs). Skill position players impact offensive line play and vice versa. I don't believe that the best offensive line creates the best offense. NE and Denver's OLs look so good because Brady and Manning are so good. Looking at advanced stats, NYG, NE, Houston, Buffalo, and Denver were the only OLs to grade out as top 12 in both run and pass blocking last year. Only three made the playoffs and none advanced to the SB. You need solid players on your OL but you don't need 5 pro bowlers. IMO, a top-tier QB and good OC who have play makers at skill positions will make an OL with some holes look good; a dominant OL won't make marginal skill players at other positions look good. The Jets fit the latter description.

I think you will be the one surprised when Irsay is still yapping and the Rooneys would not have said a word at the end of the year. It is different when an owner answers a loaded question versus initiating a strong opinion :) Again, like Superman said, his content is not the issue, the way he says it is definitely the issue. One of my media pastors at church said "Hollywood tells lies wonderfully while the church tells a lot of truths poorly". The medium, how you convey a message, is a lot of times as important as the message itself (not talking twitter).

To me, a great leader is someone who rallies the troops when things are not right, and address what is wrong in trusted circles that know exactly what is going on. A leader does not point fingers in public and call out the people who work for him publicly by stating what is wrong to appease the ones outside those trusted circles. I am sure a lot of business leaders do the finger pointing in public and run their business but I thought Irsay was different, apparently not.

To me, right now, Jim Irsay is a good revenue generating businessman, an influential owner, and a self-appointed leader that is boss, mostly by virtue of inheritance. But a great leader he is not. He is like a person with dramatic mood swings, no different than this forum :) and again like Polian said "if you listen to the fans all the time, you will be sitting with them". Yes, he and his opinions are judged to different standards as the guy where the ultimate buck stops, so I cannot treat him like any other fan with an opinion, sorry.

We can agree to disagree, and I don't want to get into a discussion of defining the word "elite." My point is more that I think you need skill position players playing at an elite/top-tier level to win the SB in today's NFL. (I don't think Flacco is an elite QB but he sure played like one during the playoffs). Skill position players impact offensive line play and vice versa. I don't believe that the best offensive line creates the best offense. NE and Denver's OLs look so good because Brady and Manning are so good. Looking at advanced stats, NYG, NE, Houston, Buffalo, and Denver were the only OLs to grade out as top 12 in both run and pass blocking last year. Only three made the playoffs and none advanced to the SB. You need solid players on your OL but you don't need 5 pro bowlers. IMO, a top-tier QB and good OC who have play makers at skill positions will make an OL with some holes look good; a dominant OL won't make marginal skill players at other positions look good. The Jets fit the latter description.

I disagree with the bolded part and the jets are a very poor example because their issues are easily the result of their QB situation.  A top tier QB and a dominant OL though can make marginal skill players look better.  I'm not saying to spend every penny on the OL and then bring in scrubs at skill positions.  I also never said you needed 5 pro bowlers on the OL.  However, I would rather have multiple pro bowlers on the OL as opposed to multiple pro bowlers at skill positions (I consider skill positions to be WR, TE and RBs).

Personally I would put the order of importance as:

QB > OL > Skill players

Yes, a dominant QB and top tier skill players can make a poor OL look better, at least as far as WR's and TE's go, so long as they are on the same page, make adjustments pre-snap and the QB gets rid of the ball very quickly.  On the other hand, a dominant QB and a dominant OL can also make marginal skill players look better because the OL gives the QB enough time to allow the marginal WRs/TEs to eventually get free.  the dominant OL will also make the running game easier, which allows for play action, which also will make the jobs of the skill players easier.

We had a dominant QB and a good OC for many years and we got one SB out of it.  

But did you see Flacco's protection against the likes of Von Miller, Dumervil, Freeney, Mathis, and the 49ers' pass rush, few got close to him? His OL shuffling was a big factor in the Ravens getting to and winning the SB.

What did a disappearing Marvin Harrison and an inability to run in Foxboro or vs the elite teams get us in the playoffs? Once we ran the ball when teams forced us to take slow chunks of yardage, that is when the SB win came.

I'm fine with it.

Just shows Irsay is all in on the Colts and will do whatever it takes to win. He loves this team more than anybody. I'm glad we have him as our owner. Said it many times and I'll say it again, he may be a little crazy, but he loves this team and he knows what he's doing.

Right on Irsay, right with ya!

Doesn't really bother me much anymore, if at all.

Irsay is who he is and he won't change either. And really he should not have to either. He sorta reminds me of that embarrassing dad who sometimes says the wrong and awkward things but you know deep down he means well and wants the best for you.

He loves the Colts and their fans. And he wants the best for the team and he knows what they are capable of.

:blueshoe:

Shut up Jim, leave the coaching to coaches, they recognize it more than they would acknowledge in public.

Please don't become a Jerry Jones and preserve the equity of respect you have earned over the years!!!

Casey, Carlie, Kalen, someone take the phone away from this tweetie bird, please!!! :)

im curious on how he is being like Jerry Jones by trying to fire up his team. when he mentions something like that, the team turns around and plays better. his players likes it when he talks and they respect him  that is all that matters. and it isn't like Irsay isnt speaking the truth at all, because he is. Blocking sucked, defense played horribly against the read option and keep in mind we play two more teams  who run it and they are a much better team and super bowl contenders / favorites then what the raiders are. he is investing a lot into these players, and team to  not to mention in number 12 who is our franchise QB, and he is trying to get his team to protect him at all costs. he is trying his hardest to build a super bowl team so us fans will be happy. so if going on public record to try to spark his team is what it will take then im all for it. 

Agreed.  In fact it's not the entire tweet that I find distasteful, it's the last line, "I DEMAND better".  I have no issue with him tweeting about having to protect Luck better...that's obvious, of course they do.  I did notice that he did not include in his rant that Luck needs to do a better job of reading the blitz presnap and changing/adjusting the play as needed, but that's another story.  Still, the "I DEMAND better" to me just comes out wrong and I don't care for it.  He can say what he wants, he's the owner, but to me it is a poor way to motivate the team.

Exactly - I was going to post something similar. Those who say that "the fans voice their opinions, why can't the owner" aren't stopping to think that when an owner "demands" something it's just a wee bit more relevant than when a fan does. I'm not clear on how this comment helps anything.

An employer can demand that a lazy employee work harder "or else",  but even so it's doubtful that calling them out to an international audience is the best method of motivation. More to the point, if someone is already doing the best job that they can but they lack the talent, they aren't going to improve just because you "demand" it. Then what happens next week? Should Belichick have tweeted to "demand" that Tebow throw the ball better in the weeks before he was released? Would that have made him a real QB?

I couldn't care less that Irsay likes to interact with the fans - it can be fun - but the only way that comments like this can be construed as interacting with the fans is if is goal is to divert criticism from himself. It certainly isn't helping the team, and either way it's not particularly admirable. He REALLY just needs to think before he tweets.

I have to say, after all the off season moves I was pretty sure we would be somewhat better at protecting Luck

Pretty frustrating watching him get sacked

I was also under the impression the departing of Bruce Arians would alleviate much of the issue as well. That Arians schemes made the O line look worse than they really were.  Hmmmm.... :scratch:

It is one thing when you O lineman gets beat,  It's totally another when your o lineman 'allows' an uncontested shot on you QB!  Someone explain this sequence please-

Pic one, our left guard pulls, head toward right guard... on a potential PA fake-

1noBlock_zps720cb4eb.jpg

Now Satele has to slide over... oops too late...

noBlock_zpsed2bc484.jpg

Satele: crud, maybe I can tackle him before he kills Luck!  (please ref, don't throw the yellow laundry, please....)

noBlock2_zpsc36642b2.jpg

Luck delivers a great pass to Allen who then scores a TD on it.  Luck simultaneously gets planted deep into the field turf.  Good gosh we need help!!  This is what is happening even on our TD plays?  We were a little lucky the play (D) wasn't called back, because tackling a D lineman from behind can't be a legal blocking technique. This is just poor play, pure and simple.

noBlock3_zpsdcf47c0a.jpg

So Jim spends big bux, expects more, and sees stuff like this.  And knows Miami and SF upcoming. But he needs to shut off the twitter?  He's not calling out (yet) he's just asking for better.  Quickly. As we all are.

He is leaving the coaching to the coaches. Since when is tweeting considered coaching? Secondly, he is the owner and can say whatever he wants. If I was the owner, I would demand better too. Maybe it's you who needs to be quiet.

Demand better yes. I agree. Close the office door, sit your coaches down and talk to them about it. Maybe he did that too. But to tweet about it in my opinion would tick me off as a coach. Don't make it public. I think it sends a message that certain coaches didn't do their jobs. If that's the case take it up with them. don't say it to 50 million twitter followers

I think you will be the one surprised when Irsay is still yapping and the Rooneys would not have said a word at the end of the year. It is different when an owner answers a loaded question versus initiating a strong opinion :) Again, like Superman said, his content is not the issue, the way he says it is definitely the issue. One of my media pastors at church said "Hollywood tells lies wonderfully while the church tells a lot of truths poorly". The medium, how you convey a message, is a lot of times as important as the message itself (not talking twitter).

To me, a great leader is someone who rallies the troops when things are not right, and address what is wrong in trusted circles that know exactly what is going on. A leader does not point fingers in public and call out the people who work for him publicly by stating what is wrong to appease the ones outside those trusted circles. I am sure a lot of business leaders do the finger pointing in public and run their business but I thought Irsay was different, apparently not.

To me, right now, Jim Irsay is a good revenue generating businessman, an influential owner, and a self-appointed leader that is boss, mostly by virtue of inheritance. But a great leader he is not. He is like a person with dramatic mood swings, no different than this forum :) and again like Polian said "if you listen to the fans all the time, you will be sitting with them". Yes, he and his opinions are judged to different standards as the guy where the ultimate buck stops, so I cannot treat him like any other fan with an opinion, sorry.

To the bolded, I don't see how Irsay's comments amount to finger pointing.

To the bolded, I don't see how Irsay's comments amount to finger pointing.

The cumulative effect of his comments starting from pre-season is tantamount to finger pointing towards the coaches - "got an earful.." etc. It is not like he is throwing darts at unknowns with his comments.

Just like after a win in pre-season game 2, if we win in game 2, Irsay will be back again with another set of comments. If we lose, I don't even want to predict.

If this was a radio interview or something would you feel the same way? Or is it just the medium that people take issue with?

I personally see no similarity between Irsay and Jones.

I feel strongly on both ends of this conversation. That's to say, I'm quite a hypocrite on the general topic.

I really don't like social media, yet, I consider this a form of social media, and here I am. I guess when it comes to platforms such as Twitter, I feel uncomfortable having anyone 'follow' me around, and I don't see the need to share all my thoughts, and don't really care to know anyone else's every thought. I find some examples creepy. Yeah, I know, I don't have to share, and I don't have to follow. There, I got that off my chest.

Anyway, I really don't see any issue with what he said in that series of tweets.

However, I really wasn't fond of the 'end of the Manning era' tweet series, and was kinda annoyed by the 'monster WR trade'  series, though the thread was fun.