Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Al Davis Has Passed Away

Steagles

This is a sad day for the NFL. Davis did so much for the game and for the league. Even though his team gave off the rough and tough persona, he was a very caring man. An interesting article (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822b49b5/article/belichick-remembers-talks-with-raiders-owner-after-98-season) I read the other day about Belichick's interview with the Raiders after the '98 season said this:

"You know, it was good because we talked a lot about football and (Davis is) very, very knowledgeable about the game, personnel, schemes, adjustments and so forth," Belichick said Friday as his Patriots prepare to face the Raiders this weekend. "He was asking a lot of questions about what (the Jets) did defensively.

"He's a great mind," Belichick said of Davis. "It was unlike any other interview I've ever had with an owner because he was so in-depth, his interview was so in-depth really about football, about 'Xs' and 'Os' and strategy and use of personnel and acquisition of -- all the things really that a coach would talk about, that's really what he talked about. That made it pretty unique."

--

RIP Al Davis

Without question Al Davis had a lot to do with shapping the NFL we know and love today. Sad day for the NFL that is he is gone.

I do have a question though.

Who gets the Raiders? Like I know if something should happen to Irsay his daughter gets the team. I wasn't sure what Davis status was in terms of being married or having children.

yeah i read at the raiders forum his wife will own & his son will operate

the prevailing opinion is they'll bring in an outsider as gm

hmm the Raiders could mirror what happened here after Bob Irsay died and Jim Irsay was willing to bring in people outside of the family to run the team.

I wasn't either. I found it through a search engine. :) You got my curiosity up. Apparently he also has a wife, but the article I read which is against forum rules to link to said his son has shown interest in running the team.

I read in a few places that his wife had a heart attack (or something similar) once and had to stay in a hospital, so Davis moved into the hospital. He slept at the hospital and had a lot of his stuff there so he could be with his wife as much as he possibly could. If he liked you, he would have done almost anything for you.

I read in a few places that his wife had a heart attack (or something similar) once and had to stay in a hospital, so Davis moved into the hospital. He slept at the hospital and had a lot of his stuff there so he could be with his wife as much as he possibly could. If he liked you, he would have done almost anything for you.

Without question there is a reason why you so many of the ex Raiders who were there in the 70's, 80's, 90's and even early 2000's speek so highly of the man and defend him to the bitter end. I had never heard that story about Davis but it doesn't surprise me. You don't stay around as long as he did and be as respected as he was by other owners and players and rise to the poistions he was in without being some what likeable.