Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why not rotate Olinemen in and out

GoodLuck

We need a re-shuffle of the O-line like the Ravens did. Our shuffle simply involves moving McGlynn and letting Thornton play at RG.

To be honest, I would have preferred us to go after Jake Long for LT and moved Castanzo to RT instead of going after Cherilus for RT. But past is prologue. :)

^^^This ... we dont necessarily have to have a "constant rotation", but maybe a re-shuffle would be beneficial or at least give us a better idea of how to fix the OL.

It's not as easy as a madden depth chart, you can't just move a guy from one side to another. Muscle memory, hand placement, footwork are all learned over a period of time. It's actually hard for some to make the switch.

He would be the backup at RT until he is traded, a FA etc.  He is CLEARLY and unfortunately not athletic enough for LT.

This isn`t a wait for a Roy Hibbert like Transformation. AC is the same guy athletically as when we drafted him.

OK....

Who are you and what have you don't with my good friend, Balzer?    Did you hack into his account?!

You really expected Craig Kelley to write back that he agreed with you?    Seriously?

Some long-time Colts employee (I think he's been with the team for more than 30 years...)  he should lose his job by publicly agreeing with you?    Because that's what would happen.    And yet, according to you,  you've e-mailed him several times expecting a different response.     Isn't that the very textbook definition of insanity?

As I said....   what have you done with Balzer?!?    We want him back...  now!!

Ok, so I know he won't come right out and agree that McGlynn sucks, but he could at least address that there is an issue. I can't see him losing his job for just saying what everybody that has ever seen McGlynn play, already knows. You can only say that the coaches are working to improve the situation so many times before you start to sound like a fool, and that is exactly what he has done. I was one that kept preaching to people last season that McGlynn needed time, but I realized that he's just terrible and there is no fixing terrible. 

I think the 2 rookies should get playing time and see how they handle it. Can't be worse than the 2 starters.

While I agree that Thornton should be starting over McGlynn, rotating players during a game is not a good idea:

• The online, more than any other group, relies on continuity.  Not only do you have to know how the guy next to you is going to react, you have to know how he is going to react based on what he sees, not on what you see.  That is why olines needs a good year together before they really start to be a good to great unit.
  • It could tip the hand of the play.  A complaint I had during the preseason and the first game is the Colts O is predictable, in a given situation they will run a given play 70+ percent of the time.  If you rotate offensive lineman that predictability factor will go up even more.
  • It reduces the amount of learning that goes on during the game.  For example, if a D player does a certain move the O player is learning from that and figuring out how to combat it (not in the case of McGlynn but most lineman), if you rotate those players in and out the same move may be effective several times before both players learn how to combat it.

The only time I can think where a team rotated lineman was when Mudd rotated Saturday and Moore.  But both stayed in the game they just swapped positions until Saturday earned the starting spot the following year.