Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Danny Amendola Likely Won't Play Thursday vs. Jets

Fx Stryker

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Amendola is out until the 4th game, Edelman better stay healthy or the Patriots are in deep trouble. At some point in the mix Gronk will come back, which will (should anyway) obviously help, but until Thompkins actually catches more than 4 of the 14 balls Brady throws to him, they'll almost literally have nowhere else to go in the passing game. 

They can probably still beat the Jets handily if everything goes right, but after that the games get a little tougher. 

Nah they will just put Slater in or grab someone off the wires.

We're stuck with Bill's plug and play philosophy- avg players into the super cog:)

I'd like to see at least one star RB or WR someday tho. 

We're stuck with Bill's plug and play philosophy- avg players into the super cog:)

I don't know if that works with the WR position... but BB does have a track record for finding defensive backs working at car washes and whatnot! 

Pats friends/fans should I start K Thompkins tonight in fantasy football?

I went on a limb with him last week and got burnt. Any signs he will have a nice game this week?

Someone else asked this too...

It depends on your other options. Personally I would not start him until he has at least a good game, let alone a great one. He got 14 targets Sunday and only caught four of those. Don't know if you saw the game but Thompkins just looked lost to me. That said, he should get plenty of targets again, and I doubt the Jets will line Cromartie up on him every play. 

So it's hard to say, typically as a manager I take the conservative approach. If you know you'll get 8 or 10 points out of someone else on your roster, I'd sit him down. If it comes down to him and a guy with a similar situation, maybe give him another shot. Edelman is the Patriot with good fantasy value this weekend, along with Ridley (despite the benching). 

@PFF: Oof, Patriots worst fears, brittle Danny "@ProFootballTalk: Report: Amendola could miss up to six weeks http://t.co/7asFNOZizW"

Yea.. you see that a lot. Guy limps off the field and suddenly back in there running around like nothing happened. Then it about 4-5 games before you see them again. Have to wonder how smart it is to take the pain killer and go back in. Dunno as Im not a doctor but I said early in this thread he probably would miss multiple games

@ JJ..     Seriously..     Brady had NEVER had to "plug and play" to this level.    EVER.

And all this Tommy never having a great WR?    LOL

@PFF: Oof, Patriots worst fears, brittle Danny "@ProFootballTalk: Report: Amendola could miss up to six weeks http://t.co/7asFNOZizW"

Some things never change...  Let WW walk over a million and sign this slug?   Darth GMenius strikes once again.

@ JJ..     Seriously..     Brady had NEVER had to "plug and play" to this level.    EVER.

And all this Tommy never having a great WR?    LOL

Some things never change...  Let WW walk over a million and sign this slug?   Darth GMenius strikes once again.

So, BB is taking plug and play to a new level. Poor Tom lol.

Pats friends/fans should I start K Thompkins tonight in fantasy football?

I went on a limb with him last week and got burnt. Any signs he will have a nice game this week?

Someone else asked this too...

It depends on your other options. Personally I would not start him until he has at least a good game, let alone a great one. He got 14 targets Sunday and only caught four of those. Don't know if you saw the game but Thompkins just looked lost to me. That said, he should get plenty of targets again, and I doubt the Jets will line Cromartie up on him every play. 

So it's hard to say, typically as a manager I take the conservative approach. If you know you'll get 8 or 10 points out of someone else on your roster, I'd sit him down. If it comes down to him and a guy with a similar situation, maybe give him another shot. Edelman is the Patriot with good fantasy value this weekend, along with Ridley (despite the benching). 

So I was wrong about Ridley (he killed me, again), but at least I hit on my Thompinks prediction! (I was thinking of you while they were reviewing and over-turning the TD catch, probably shaking your fist at the Indiana sky, cursing my name, lol...)

So, BB is taking plug and play to a new level. Poor Tom lol.

That was the worst I've seen the offense look since some of those games in '08 when Cassel couldn't get out of his own way. 

"Plug and play" almost seems like it's putting it kindly at this point. I'd love the potential of Dobson and Thompkins if they weren't the second and third options on the WR depth chart right now. But neither of them are ready, and it's painful to watch. I guess we just have to hope they pull it together in time.

Defense looked good, albeit against a really, really bad offense. I thought the 4th quarters of both games were encouraging on that side of the ball. They play tough when they really need to. I like this group and am still hoping for big things. 

So I was wrong about Ridley (he killed me, again), but at least I hit on my Thompinks prediction! (I was thinking of you while they were reviewing and over-turning the TD catch, probably shaking your fist at the Indiana sky, cursing my name, lol...)

Hey Mr GPats, I hope all your climbing injuries have healed up well. Tell me this, is PatsNation up in arms because you just squeaked a win v the terrible Jets? You know, like this board went into meltdown last week because Luck never threw 8 TD's?

My fiancé said it was going to be ruled a TD, but I saw the ground jolt the ball and I knew it lol.

I cursed Thompkins all game because he was just running around with no purpose on seemingly every other play haha. He's got potential, but Pats need play makers not projects right now.

Hey Mr GPats, I hope all your climbing injuries have healed up well. Tell me this, is PatsNation up in arms because you just squeaked a win v the terrible Jets? You know, like this board went into meltdown last week because Luck never threw 8 TD's?

Thank you kindly, I'm doing pretty well. That shoulder still hurts when it rains but at least my knee has company in those situations.  ;)

The local reaction to the Patriots' current struggles is kind of all over the place. Some fans are saying, "It's still week 2, give the kids some time." Others are hyper-critical of the team's personnel decisions in recent years. Of course, if they turn this around and go 11-5 or whatever, people will not remember an early September Thursday night where they got to see something like 20 punts in the same game.

The personnel losses, of course, are hurting them now. They need Gronk back, badly. Obviously no one saw what was coming with Hernandez. And for whatever reason, a lot of people seemed to think Amendola would be less fragile in a Patriots' uniform, but this is pretty much what I expected would happen. 

The good points:

- They were very close to going into halftime up by 20-3 or more. Dobson dropped what was a sure TD, and Thompkins made a nice diving attempt but just missed coming up with a slightly overthrown ball. Brady made his share of mistakes too, and I'm sure that'll come up on film.

- I'm encouraged by the Pats' defense. Granted they've played two pretty bad offenses, but given how weak they've been in recent years, especially against the pass, it's nice to see them actually win a couple of games without scoring 34 points.

- It really, honestly cannot get much worse than it was last night for a HOF quarterback running an NFL offense. They had no run game. Edelman was the only guy worth throwing it to. If the season is successful, I'm sure last night's game will be looked at as a "low point," and they won despite playing so poorly. Thankfully, it was the Jets, who were possibly even worse.

My fiancé said it was going to be ruled a TD, but I saw the ground jolt the ball and I knew it lol.

I cursed Thompkins all game because he was just running around with no purpose on seemingly every other play haha. He's got potential, but Pats need play makers not projects right now.

Yeah he's been a particular mystery since he seemed to be so up-to-speed. Just goes to show how preseason really and truly is meaningless in the NFL I guess.

Hope the rest of your guys deliver for you this weekend. I've got your guy as my QB and I've been pretty pleased about that after one week!

Thank you kindly, I'm doing pretty well. That shoulder still hurts when it rains but at least my knee has company in those situations.  ;)

The local reaction to the Patriots' current struggles is kind of all over the place. Some fans are saying, "It's still week 2, give the kids some time." Others are hyper-critical of the team's personnel decisions in recent years. Of course, if they turn this around and go 11-5 or whatever, people will not remember an early September Thursday night where they got to see something like 20 punts in the same game.

The personnel losses, of course, are hurting them now. They need Gronk back, badly. Obviously no one saw what was coming with Hernandez. And for whatever reason, a lot of people seemed to think Amendola would be less fragile in a Patriots' uniform, but this is pretty much what I expected would happen. 

The good points:

- They were very close to going into halftime up by 20-3 or more. Dobson dropped what was a sure TD, and Thompkins made a nice diving attempt but just missed coming up with a slightly overthrown ball. Brady made his share of mistakes too, and I'm sure that'll come up on film.

- I'm encouraged by the Pats' defense. Granted they've played two pretty bad offenses, but given how weak they've been in recent years, especially against the pass, it's nice to see them actually win a couple of games without scoring 34 points.

- It really, honestly cannot get much worse than it was last night for a HOF quarterback running an NFL offense. They had no run game. Edelman was the only guy worth throwing it to. If the season is successful, I'm sure last night's game will be looked at as a "low point," and they won despite playing so poorly. Thankfully, it was the Jets, who were possibly even worse.

'Your shoulder hurts when it rains'? You'll be no good in the play-offs Peyton!

I set my alarm for 4.30am so I could watch the game before I went into the office. Not one of my better decisions I have to say! I always though you'd get it done despite being pretty abysmal. I had you in my Survivor Pool, so was pleased you hung on. Not sure Bill will give them kiddy WR's too many more shots if they don't buck up their ideas.

Remind me sir, why did they let Wes walk?

The front office severely undervalued him. Brady didn't, and was rightfully furious over it. (Especially after he took a pay cut to try and help keep him.)

Brady knew what he had - a reliable, productive, first down machine who is almost never injured. Sure he drops one here and there, but so does everyone else. Even those with the best hands like a Rice or Harrison didn't get all of them.

Some might argue Welker was a nobody before he went to the Patriots. Welker, like many other players, was taken from zero to hero and coached up to his full potential in NE. Nobody heard of Brady before the Patriots, either. He fell to the sixth round, yet was molded in to one of the greatest passers in NFL history through hard work and great coaching.

Back to Welker - Off the top of your head, which two QB's threw to him before Brady? Can't remember? Me neither. It's hard to be a standout when your QB's are duds. Give him a good, let alone elite one like Brady or Manning, and watch the show.

TL/DR: Welker is awesome, stupid move by the Pats and they're sorely missing him.

The front office severely undervalued him. Brady didn't, and was rightfully furious over it. (Especially after he took a pay cut to try and help keep him.)

Brady knew what he had - a reliable, productive, first down machine who is almost never injured. Sure he drops one here and there, but so does everyone else. Even those with the best hands like a Rice or Harrison didn't get all of them.

Some might argue Welker was a nobody before he went to the Patriots. Welker, like many other players, was taken from zero to hero and coached up to his full potential in NE. Nobody heard of Brady before the Patriots, either. He fell to the sixth round, yet was molded in to one of the greatest passers in NFL history through hard work and great coaching.

Back to Welker - Off the top of your head, which two QB's threw to him before Brady? Can't remember? Me neither. It's hard to be a standout when your QB's are duds. Give him a good, let alone elite one like Brady or Manning, and watch the show.

TL/DR: Welker is awesome, stupid move by the Pats and they're sorely missing him.

Interesting thoughts. Did you happen to see last night that Endlemen had 13 receptions? He was Welker in every sense of the word. Brady's go to guy most of the night and came up with the key reception on third five to basically run out the clock and seal the win. He was also pretty stout in the punt return game and did not have a drop like Welker did last week despite miserable conditions in the second half.

I suppose hindsight is 20/20. If the Pats knew AH was going to get charged with murder a couple of months later, perhaps they rethink Welker but then again Amendola looked pretty good in the first game and Endleman has been filling in just fine in his absence. I will say this, if Amendola is playing come playoff time and makes clutch plays in the playoffs to help the Pats win, Bill will look like a genius again.

The bigger issue I see anyways is the fact that they let Lloyd go. They showed last night that he was second in receptions on the team last year behind Welker. He had almost 1.000 yards too. Apparently he had some locker room issues but IMO that was the bigger mistake. They got two rookies to replace him and they simply are too green right now.  

These next 10 days will be interesting as it is basically a bye week for the Pats and they always make great use of time off to self evaluate and fix things. I fully expect things to look better against the Bucs.

Interesting thoughts. Did you happen to see last night that Endlemen had 13 receptions? He was Welker in every sense of the word. Brady's go to guy most of the night and came up with the key reception on third five to basically run out the clock and seal the win. He was also pretty stout in the punt return game and did not have a drop like Welker did last week despite miserable conditions in the second half.

Edleman caught like 1 pass further than 6 yards down the field and muffed a punt.

Edleman caught like 1 pass further than 6 yards down the field and muffed a punt.

Yeah, like I said just like Welker. lol. He was the possession guy and made the key plays all night to keep what few drives the Pats had going. He was hit on the punt that he dropped because his own blocker hit the Jets guy into him. He recovered the ball though.

I suppose hindsight is 20/20. If the Pats knew AH was going to get charged with murder a couple of months later, perhaps they rethink Welker but then again Amendola looked pretty good in the first game and Endleman has been filling in just fine in his absence. I will say this, if Amendola is playing come playoff time and makes clutch plays in the playoffs to help the Pats win, Bill will look like a genius again.

The bigger issue I see anyways is the fact that they let Lloyd go. They showed last night that he was second in receptions on the team last year behind Welker. He had almost 1.000 yards too. Apparently he had some locker room issues but IMO that was the bigger mistake. They got two rookies to replace him and they simply are too green right now.  

These next 10 days will be interesting as it is basically a bye week for the Pats and they always make great use of time off to self evaluate and fix things. I fully expect things to look better against the Bucs.

Edelman had a good night. So did Amendiola in week 1. Can either of them last the season and put up such numbers over the next five seasons? We'll see. Amendiola didn't last one game, and Edelman has been more injured in the past than Welker despite less playing time.

Both the Bills and Jets lack the ability to put points up. Heck, they're hard pressed to maintain long drives.  Combine that with their lackluster passing defenses, and the Patriots only managed  23 and 17 points on two bottom barrel teams. With Welker, I don't believe that would be the case.

I think Edelman and Amendiola are both very good WR's when they play. Amendiola in particular is a physical specimen. Neither has a proven track record of reliability or durability, which is why I still think Welker is better than both.

Edelman will probably be on Revis island next week. If Gronk comes back it will be a godsend for the Patriots. (Unless he gets hurt again.) If Gronk is not back, at least the Patriots will go up a lackluster O (and garbage QB) for the third week in a row so they might still pull one out.

Week 4 VS ATL the Pats will need Gronk back to have a shot at keeping up.

Edelman had a good night. So did Amendiola in week 1. Can either of them last the season and put up such numbers over the next five seasons? We'll see. Amendiola didn't last one game, and Edelman has been more injured in the past than Welker despite less playing time.

Both the Bills and Jets lack the ability to put points up. Heck, they're hard pressed to maintain long drives.  Combine that with their lackluster defenses, and the Patriots only managed  23 and 17 points on two bottom barrel teams. With Welker, I don't believe that would be the case.

I think Edelman and Amendiola are both very good WR's when they play. Amendiola in particular is a physical specimen. Neither has a proven track record of reliability or durability, which is why I still think Welker is better than both.

Edelman will probably be on Revis island next week.

It can be easy to look at the Pats offensive woes and want to lay if all on the Welker move but it simply is not true for the first two weeks anyways. They have gotten his production out of Amendola and Endleman the last two weeks. Welker only averaged 5 TDs a season for the Pats. They are really missing Gronk and AH. Gronk has led the team and the league in TDs for a TE the last three seasons and AH was a mismatch no matter where you lined him up. Brady is missing them more than Welker. He is also missing Lloyd because the guys on the outside are too green.

We will need to score more for sure but indications are that Gronk will back for the Bucs. One can only hope. ;)

It can be easy to look at the Pats offensive woes and want to lay if all on the Welker move but it simply is not true for the first two weeks anyways. They have gotten his production out of Amendola and Endleman the last two weeks. Welker only averaged 5 TDs a season for the Pats. They are really missing Gronk and AH. Gronk has led the team and the league in TDs for a TE the last three seasons and AH was a mismatch no matter where you lined him up. Brady is missing them more than Welker. He is also missing Lloyd because the guys on the outside are too green.

We will need to score more for sure but indications are that Gronk will back for the Bucs. One can only hope. ;)

Oh, I know they're missing more than just WW. I just think he had the largest impact, that's all.

I'm admittedly biased/a Welker fanantic, though. (Hey, at least I can admit it.)

Edit to prior post: 13 points VS the Jets, not 17.

Do you guys ever play a tough game ? What the heck... Buffalo , Jets , TB.. who's next... Bowling Green ?

Do you guys ever play a tough game ? What the heck... Buffalo , Jets , TB.. who's next... Bowling Green ?

Atlanta. They actually have a QB with a name attached that's not a raw rookie or known for being terrible. The freebies are mostly over after the Bucs.

As I see it, the only ones left on the schedule are:

Game 7 NYJ: The craptastic Jets again. Somehow they'll suck even more than last time. This game won't be close.

Game 9 PIT:  Uncertain. They're pretty bad but I won't count them out just yet if only for their QB.

Game 13:CLE: Decent defense, zero offensive line, no QB.

Game 17:BUF  Same description as the Jets. Manuel will be more than exposed by then and get slaughtered.

I wouldn't call MIAx2 or Carolina roll overs  just yet due to their D. However, their offenses (particularly Carolina) need to be able to put up more than 20 points against the Pats secondary. Neither team has a solid QB.

Well yeah- we got the Jets and Buffalo later.  Ok Buffalo is the last game but that may be a dogfight.

Then the colts should be easy- oh wait we don't play them :)

The current Pats team misses Welker right now. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. However I personally am glad he's gone because I like to see changes.

Bill thinks ahead too so some things may not make sense now. Take the punter we cut- he was great and making 1.2 mil this year. Instead they keep the rookie who did give as good a performance in preseason. So they save cap in the amount of 800k or so. Whoopee one thinks at first. But that punter at 1.2 mil is a FA next year.

Well yeah- we got the Jets and Buffalo later.  Ok Buffalo is the last game but that may be a dogfight.

Then the colts should be easy- oh wait we don't play them :)

Ends a streak of 10 straight years they played each other. I hope NE wins their division this year so we can get back on tract.

Do you think you guys beat the Fins this weekend? I like the fact that you're at home. Should be a tight one but I like Luck to make the plays in the 4th to win.

I think the Fins got this, but I hope I'm wrong. Their D + our Oline = issues. Their offense isn't anything magical, but it should be mediocre enough to put points up on our D while they keep Andrew running for his life.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I certainly believe we have a better shot than just a puncher's chance. 60/40 in favor of Miami.

Do you think you guys beat the Fins this weekend? I like the fact that you're at home. Should be a tight one but I like Luck to make the plays in the 4th to win.

I think we beat them a little easier than most , including the oddsmakers ( -2.5...-3) think. Something like a 10 to 14 point margin.

It seems, from afar anyway, that it more or less came down to a silly little war of attrition. I think there were issues between Welker and Belichick that were tempered by the former's consistent production. I don't think Welker is a bad seed, but he's kind of the class clown... the foot comments directed at the Jets... etc, etc. I think that wore thin with Belichick. But if a guy catches 100+ balls a year, you put up with whatever it is for the sake of production.

I think, also, that the Patriots just needed a change, an overhaul. The offense had to evolve a little. That could have happened with Welker on-board and it certainly hasn't looked very good so far. But it's early.