Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Danny Amendola Likely Won't Play Thursday vs. Jets

Fx Stryker

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, not unexpected given his groin. Still holding out hope that he will at least suit up. The O really needs him with Vareen out. This is going to be a tough game for the Pats on the short week still working out the kinks offensively. Jets D looked good too vs. Bucs.

to bad , he proved his worth , made PFF team of week, see topic for team

at  http://forums.colts.com/topic/20392-weird-pff-names-calson-palmer-as-qb-for-team-of-week-but-fedex-air-player-s-choices-are-peyton-kaeperrnick-bress-vote-if-want-link-here/

lol. No one ever said that. The prevalent thought was IF he is healthly he will be as good or better than Welker and he proved that on Sunday with a great game while being injured.

How is 9 rec out of 11 targets, 81 comp %, 67 yards and 2 TDs worse than 10 rec out of 14 targets, 71 comp %, 104 yards and 0 TDs?

The NFL isn't a Charmin Ultra commercial, less isn't more.

Also seems the new guy has worse hands than Wes. Completion percentage says so.

How is 9 rec out of 11 targets, 81 comp %, 67 yards and 2 TDs worse than 10 rec out of 14 targets, 71 comp %, 104 yards and 0 TDs?

Maybe you didn't watch the game. But many of Amendola's catches were spectular especially on the last drive. He was hurt early in the first half and came back and had many of his catches in the second half when the Pats needed them. Good omen for us as we need him to be clutch as there are not many options outside of him until Gronk comes back. He is bigger than Welker and able to get better separation especially down field. When Gronk comes back, he should be even more open and the TDs will start to roll.

Maybe you didn't watch the game. But many of Amendola's catches were spectular especially on the last drive. He was hurt early in the first half and came back and had many of his catches in the second half when the Pats needed them. Good omen for us as we need him to be clutch as there are not many options outside of him until Gronk comes back. He is bigger than Welker and able to get better separation especially down field. When Gronk comes back, he should be even more open and the TDs will start to roll.

Let's hope his groin doesn't nag him the rest of the year like every "minor" injury he has had so far.

he will see more time in street clothes than in pads. Its his MO

Let's hope his groin doesn't nag him the rest of the year like every "minor" injury he has had so far.

Yeah. I agree. He did not have minor injuries before. He had a dislocated elbow and the collarbone I think. No soft tissues. Perhaps the Pats are working him harder than the Rams. Given he came back into the game, don't think the groin is that big of a deal but we'll see. He was big time in game 1.

Welket had a much better game than Amendola

yea statistcally welker had a better game, but Amendola made ridiculous clutch catches that kept the Pats alive.  Without Amendola the Pats lose that game.  The same cannot be said for Welker on the Broncos, that team is stacked and they were tossing the ball around like it was sand lot football.  Stokely could have been in that game and produced and contributed towards that victory

yikes way to cherry pick your argument.  

First of all, your completion percentage doesn't give enough information as to why those were not completed.  You use those stats to suggest that Amendola has worse hands than Welker, but thats completely ridiculous and a baseless argument because it doesn't account for bad throws and defended balls.   Also, how do you factor in Welker's little fumbly wumbly on the punt return that lead to an easy Baltimore touchdown?  You just ignoring that and taking it off the table because it doesn't help your argument?

They both had good games, but obviously you're focusing on just the Touchdowns... well to me its pretty obvious, Amendola IS the only weapon on the field for Brady, so defenses are going to focus all of their attention on him and try to shut him down. 

The Broncos with Julius Thomas, Eric Decker and Demarius Thomas out on the field (which is a hilarious amount of firepower by themselves) spread the defense out, allowing Welker to get wide open on a short little 5 yard out route in the end zone.  

You are just cherry picking and trying to paint a picture that isnt there.  They are 2 totally different games and 2 different offenses, against different defenses. 

Baltimore couldnt make a game plan just to shut down Welker, he was just another chess piece on the board.  Amendola managed to get 104 yards with the defense blanketing him, because there were no other weapons out on the field that scared anyone.  

Also, I would rank Amendola's 3rd down and 10 ridiculously clutch catch where he was fully extending himself in traffic in the 4th quarter with only 2-3 minutes left in the game down by 1 way ahead of a 5 yard out TD pass to a wide open Welker in a blowout victory that I could have caught 29 out of 30 times.

Your argument is flawed at best.

Yeah. I agree. He did not have minor injuries before. He had a dislocated elbow and the collarbone I think. No soft tissues. Perhaps the Pats are working him harder than the Rams. Given he came back into the game, don't think the groin is that big of a deal but we'll see. He was big time in game 1.

I hate to be a wet blanket but groin injuries more often than not linger and are really hard to recover from. I've seen a lot of guys play through them just like D.A. did Sunday and then miss 3-4 weeks. He will be very fortunate to play week 3 yet alone Thursday.

I hate to be a wet blanket but groin injuries more often than not linger and are really hard to recover from. I've seen a lot of guys play through them just like D.A. did Sunday and then miss 3-4 weeks. He will be very fortunate to play week 3 yet alone Thursday.

Yeah, depends if he tore it or not. If it is just strained which is likely given he came back then he will play in a week or two. But they can be nagging.

Stokely could have been in that game and produced and contributed towards that victory

Stokely was in that game. Clark, too. Unfortunately they were on the receiving end of that beat down. No pun intended.

In all seriousness, Amendiola had a heck of a game. He layed himself out for a few of those grabs. No doubt in my mind if he didn't go back in the Pats would have likely lost. I wouldn't say they definitely would lose, because you can never put it past Buffalo to find a way to blow it.

First of all, your completion percentage doesn't give enough information as to why those were not completed.  You use those stats to suggest that Amendola has worse hands than Welker, but thats completely ridiculous and a baseless argument because it doesn't account for bad throws and defended balls.   Also, how do you factor in Welker's little fumbly wumbly on the punt return that lead to an easy Baltimore touchdown?  You just ignoring that and taking it off the table because it doesn't help your argument?

They both had good games, but obviously you're focusing on just the Touchdowns... well to me its pretty obvious, Amendola IS the only weapon on the field for Brady, so defenses are going to focus all of their attention on him and try to shut him down. 

The Broncos with Julius Thomas, Eric Decker and Demarius Thomas out on the field (which is a hilarious amount of firepower by themselves) spread the defense out, allowing Welker to get wide open on a short little 5 yard out route in the end zone.  

You are just cherry picking and trying to paint a picture that isnt there.  They are 2 totally different games and 2 different offenses, against different defenses. 

Baltimore couldnt make a game plan just to shut down Welker, he was just another chess piece on the board.  Amendola managed to get 104 yards with the defense blanketing him, because there were no other weapons out on the field that scared anyone.  

Also, I would rank Amendola's 3rd down and 10 ridiculously clutch catch where he was fully extending himself in traffic in the 4th quarter with only 2-3 minutes left in the game down by 1 way ahead of a 5 yard out TD pass to a wide open Welker in a blowout victory that I could have caught 29 out of 30 times.

I really don't care. Amendola won't be in the line-up week 17 anyway.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

Actually no. I said from the beginning Julian was the Welker guy they needed. The Pats didn't need to go get Amendola, they could have gotten themselves a bigger WR. A veteran guy that could be used to mentor the younger WRs. For some reason the Pats do not want outside threats.

I really don't care. Amendola won't be in the line-up week 17 anyway.

Likely not. They could be resting him as they will likely have a home field playoff spot wrapped up.

I will say NE is very fortunate to start the season against Buffalo and NY. No game is a gimmie we all know that but those are two of the weaker teams in the AFC..next to Oakland and Jacksonville. Without Danny that will be a tough game Thursday but its at home and I expect Ridley to run well and Tom to hit on some of those deeper passes. If Danny doesn't stay healthy during the season it definately will affect that offense that is for sure. I would think they sit him out this week and give him the extra rest to be ready for week 3.

Actually no. I said from the beginning Julian was the Welker guy they needed. The Pats didn't need to go get Amendola, they could have gotten themselves a bigger WR. A veteran guy that could be used to mentor the younger WRs. For some reason the Pats do not want outside threats.

I like Julian but he is not Welker by a long shot. They needed to get Amendola who is younger and faster than Welker and has better hands.

But in terms of the WR point. Who should they have gotten this offseason? The only available WR of any clout was Wallace and he is not worth the money the Fins are paying him. Personally, I would like to see them trade a high draft pick for a proven WR like Brandon Marshall.

What really bugs me and I have been saying this since 2010 is that when they finally did give Brady a legit WR ala Moss and Welker in 2007, he lit the record books on fire and the team was one Tyree miracle catch away from a perfect season. When they moved on from Moss their thinking became TEs which is hard to argue against it in one way given what Gronk and AH did but with no outside threat teams like the Giants and Ravens could clog the middle of the field and get pressure with their front four. I hate this TE strategy and reliance on the slot to be honest. Brady has one of the best deep balls but never gets to use it. Now he has to rely on this Thompkins kid who looks like he has some potential but ran all the wong routes on Sunday. Brady says he is not worried but honestly he has to be shell shocked. To go from the #1 offense last year to this has to be incredibly frustrating no matter how much he tries to shrug it off and put on a smile.

I don't really care about the Welker-Amendola debate here, but I can say that the later made some absolutely sick grabs at very key moments on Sunday. Brady had to be nearly perfect on some of those throws but the windows were small, and Amendola and Vereen would have been my co-MVPs.

Groin and hamstring injuries are definitely worrisome, because they're easily re-aggravated. Sitting him out Thursday gives him a full two weeks of non-game rest. I'm betting he could go if this was a playoff game or something, but it's only September... best to give it some time and hopefully let it heal up.

And not to be a jerk, but...

For the whole, "I told you so" crowd... yeah, you're geniuses for speculating that a guy who's missed 20 games in the past two seasons would be dinged up at some point. Truly brilliant insight there!  ;)

Obviuosly as a Peyton fan I want Welker to catch every ball but as far as pure stats

Welker never in the first place should of attempted to move from the 10 to the 5 catch that punt, let alone Muff it , he just should of moved out of the way and see if it got downed or a touch back, where was he going to go with 3 Ravens around him anyway

& face it, if 1 catch was reviewed it would of been overturned, as incomplet as did go threw hands to ground back into hands , clear as day on replay ,

Didnt watch all of the Pats game  as were out so   no idea if any calls were questionable and was taping Colts and only so much time i have to watch,

also I am sure do to angles everyone, the the TV audience ,the anouuncers  ,thre coaches & the refs  cant always see something that is questionably to even ask for a challenge or overturn 1 ref

Update... nothing definite of coarse.... just more speculation....

SPN Boston "wouldn't be surprised" if Danny Amendola (groin) is out until Week 4.

The speculation comes from ace Patriots reporter Mike Reiss. It's not a report and it doesn't cite a team source, but Reiss is as plugged into the Pats as anyone. Amendola isn't going to play in Thursday night's game against the Jets and even the long week ahead of Week 3 might not be enough. They face the Falcons on Sunday Night Football in Week 4. Meanwhile, Julian Edelman will play the slot role and projects to lead the Patriots in targets.

Update... nothing definite of coarse.... just more speculation....

SPN Boston "wouldn't be surprised" if Danny Amendola (groin) is out until Week 4.

The speculation comes from ace Patriots reporter Mike Reiss. It's not a report and it doesn't cite a team source, but Reiss is as plugged into the Pats as anyone. Amendola isn't going to play in Thursday night's game against the Jets and even the long week ahead of Week 3 might not be enough. They face the Falcons on Sunday Night Football in Week 4. Meanwhile, Julian Edelman will play the slot role and projects to lead the Patriots in targets.

Thought is he will come back for Atlanta who also has an injury to one of their top receivers. Good thing Pats schedule is not that tough early on but no game will be easy.

If Amendola is out until the 4th game, Edelman better stay healthy or the Patriots are in deep trouble. At some point in the mix Gronk will come back, which will (should anyway) obviously help, but until Thompkins actually catches more than 4 of the 14 balls Brady throws to him, they'll almost literally have nowhere else to go in the passing game. 

They can probably still beat the Jets handily if everything goes right, but after that the games get a little tougher. 

If Amendola is out until the 4th game, Edelman better stay healthy or the Patriots are in deep trouble. At some point in the mix Gronk will come back, which will (should anyway) obviously help, but until Thompkins actually catches more than 4 of the 14 balls Brady throws to him, they'll almost literally have nowhere else to go in the passing game. 

They can probably still beat the Jets handily if everything goes right, but after that the games get a little tougher. 

If Brady manages to win in the double digits this year like he did back in 2006 then he should be MVP hands down. ;)