Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oak vs Ind Thoughts

SoCalColts

First thing is we got the W so I'm happy for that.

Kelvin Shephard the LB is horrible we really need Conner or Angerer back asap. He seem too slow or lost at times.

I hear a lot of AC played horrible comments remember guys he sprained his knee 2 weeks ago I'm shock he was out there to begin with.

Laundry was all over the field should I dare mention who he reminds me off

The run D wasn't as bad as people say they I look at the stat line 100 yds were Pryor running around like Vick if it wasn't for that stat line would show under 75yds earn for the Raiders

We will improve understanding read option QB its week 1 after all. Patience is what we need as fans.

Run game shows signs of improvement Ballard had a stat line of 10 carries for 50yds at one point during the game. Havali really does help improve the run game

Werner is still learning but I see potential just like I saw it when he played at Florida state

I'm happy with the win and I see big things coming. Let's Go Colts!

Thanks for being a voice of reason today.  The traditional run D today was about the only positive I saw from the D.  LB play outside of Freeman was terrible, no pash rush at all, and poor coverage when Pryor decided to throw it instead of run all over the place.  Landry will be great if he stays healthy.  

The oline wasn't great but was better than last year.  Blitzes weren't handled well at all but that's on Andrew as much as it's on the line.  Peyton used to destroy a defense when they blitzes like that, hopefully Luck will do the same soon.  Run game looked much improved and I think we can put accuracy concerns for Luck to rest.  He's extremely efficient when not being forced to throw the deep ball every other throw.

On offense, we need to be more... maybe unexpected, and rhythmic- to me, at least.

Our run D was good on McFadden, Secondary I thought was good as well, but the thing that stood out was our incapability to hold Pryor to the standard QB position, instead of allowing him too much time and room to improvise and make plays. To me, that was on our linebackers not being able to generate a good pass rush, and the linebackers not keeping up with Pryor.

Kelvin Shephard the LB is horrible we really need Conner or Angerer back asap. He seem too slow or lost at times.

I hear a lot of AC played horrible comments remember guys he sprained his knee 2 weeks ago I'm shock he was out there to begin with.

The run D wasn't as bad as people say they I look at the stat line 100 yds were Pryor running around like Vick if it wasn't for that stat line would show under 75yds earn for the Raiders

We will improve understanding read option QB its week 1 after all. Patience is what we need as fans.

Run game shows signs of improvement Ballard had a stat line of 10 carries for 50yds at one point during the game. Havali really does help improve the run game

Werner is still learning but I see potential just like I saw it when he played at Florida state

Did you think Freeman looked lost at times?

Suffice it to say "that was unexpected".

Nevertheless we got the W.

It's week 1 coming off of a new offseason format. Definitely some kinks to work out.

As for the game, we played against a team with a big, scrambling QB. Who makes good decisions on the field and throws a pretty accurate ball.......think 1995 & Jim Harbaugh. It happens.

Generally I'm pleased (yesterday I was freaking out). However, I was a little disappointed in two things: Andrew has no excuse for not seeing those blitzes & audibling to a better play. But I'll cut him some slack, its week 1. But I expected better.

And our Dline (especially Werner) was not making Pryor pay. I was hoping to see some penalties for leveling Pryor out of the pistol. I'd rather eat penalties and make the point that we're gonna beat the breaks off this guy if he does anything on his feet. But I'm old school like that.

Anyway, it is what it is....a victory. And a lot of teams looked out of sorts this week. So we'll see how it goes from here.

I'm happy with the victory. I could care less if the team wins pretty, or ugly. Flashy wins are good for Sportcenter, Skip Bayless, and ones blood pressure that's about it. The year we won the Superbowl we won many ugly games. There were some questionable decisions by the officiating crew especially in the holding department, I guess you have to pull a Zed (Pulp Fiction reference) to draw a holding call from yesterdays crew.

Ted Dibiase would be prould of that attempted Million Dollar Dream.

I'm happy with the victory. I could care less if the team wins pretty, or ugly. Flashy wins are good for Sportcenter, Skip Bayless, and ones blood pressure that's about it. The year we won the Superbowl we won many ugly games. There were some questionable decisions by the officiating crew especially in the holding department, I guess you have to pull a Zed (Pulp Fiction reference) to draw a holding call from yesterdays crew.

In your analogy who gets to play the part of the gimp?

Yep.

BTsAk32CEAASZPo.png

Agree with your thoughts. Yesterday I was very upset that it was this close when the Colts were fairly heavy favorites. But Pryor looked much more impressive than I was expecting yesterday. Like others have pointed out in other threads, our D had not seen one of these mobile read-option QBs yet, as I don't think we played a single one last year. I think that if nothing else this would be a good tune-up for our D facing SF here in a couple of weeks.

The lack of protection from the O-line was actually much more concerning for me than the D was. This was by no means supposed to be a top-tier unit this year, but it was supposed to be markedly better than it was last year. As far as I know the Raiders are not known for having a dominant D-line or linebackers but they were pressuring Luck all day long from the 2nd quarter and on. Part of that may be Luck not making a correct audible or maybe Pep not calling a good play to begin with, but regardless the fact that the Oakland D was in the backfield all afternoon was pretty concerning.

Sometimes in the NFL on any given week it just comes down to surviving with the "W", which is what the Colts did yesterday. A team can look terrible one week and the next week look dominant. We have the Dolphins next and a lot of the problems with the D will not be present in that game simply due to Tannehill not being the same type of QB that Pryor is. Also, a week of practice and shoring up some problem areas should definitely help. My guess is the Colts come out and look very strong next week after dodging a bullet this week.

Agree with every word, especially the comment about our run D.  I thought against the run we looked fantastic.  Yeah the box score says Pryor rushed for over 100 yards, but almost all of that was because he just broke out of the pocket during a pass and ran for yards.  A very small portion of his yards were by designed run.

I saw the Raiders oline holding on almost every play.  Mathis did a swim move multiple times and kept getting his arm hooked from behind.  One time the guy even had a sleeper hold from behind and Mathis just put his hands up but still no call.

I know they say you could call holding on every play but the raiders had some very obvious holds (especially when Pryor was running around).  Our D will be fine!!

Overall... I thought the game was positive. We won, that is what counts, and we found some serious flaws that we can work on. I don't think that we are a team that lacks the talent to stop the run or read-option so now we know what to work on with the defense, and on the offense, our receivers need to work on timing to keep it short (Everyone except Wayne)

Luck looked solid for the first half. I hoped that Bradshaw would have had a bigger impact than what he had, but its the first game of the season so I am not worried. And as usual the defense wasn't good. Overall I would say that the Colts looked ok for the first game. But they will need to improve for the other games or our season could be lost.

I saw the Raiders oline holding on almost every play.  Mathis did a swim move multiple times and kept getting his arm hooked from behind.  One time the guy even had a sleeper hold from behind and Mathis just put his hands up but still no call.

I know they say you could call holding on every play but the raiders had some very obvious holds (especially when Pryor was running around).  Our D will be fine!!

I didn't see that.  I mean they weren't AWFUL, but they weren't that great either.  I saw a QB who was constantly being forced out of the pocket, but was apprehensive and quick enough to avoid the pressure.  I felt that there were several occasions he would move out of the pocket before there was enough pressure to force him out of the pocket.

It is always good to start off with a win in any form. It was a reality check that most of us expected. With nineteen new starters we will too often hear "learning" curve or whatever until we are bored with it.  Throw in a pretty tough schedule and I expect few post game parties. The strength of the Colts will be in how the young guys respond to the coaches ideas on how to get them to the gold. Most of the games except for the Packers/49ers were kind of dull. (Sure wish Buffalo would have beaten the Pats).

Go Colts!!

Luck looked solid for the first half. I hoped that Bradshaw would have had a bigger impact than what he had, but its the first game of the season so I am not worried. And as usual the defense wasn't good. Overall I would say that the Colts looked ok for the first game. But they will need to improve for the other games or our season could be lost.

Yup, my sentiments exactly. I still wanted Bradshaw to get some time in the 3rd Preseason game to test his foot & knock off the rust sooner rather than later, but he will be okay. Ballard looked solid though. 

I didn't see that.  I mean they weren't AWFUL, but they weren't that great either.  I saw a QB who was constantly being forced out of the pocket, but was apprehensive and quick enough to avoid the pressure.  I felt that there were several occasions he would move out of the pocket before there was enough pressure to force him out of the pocket.

here is the play Mathis is put in a choke hold.  granted, the hold may be after the ball had crossed the goaline....

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013090805/2013/REG1/raiders@colts#menu=highlights&tab=recap

you have to scroll down the highlight list and pick McFadden's TD run.

here is the play Mathis is put in a choke hold.  granted, the hold may be after the ball had crossed the goaline....

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013090805/2013/REG1/raiders@colts#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Sorry, I wasn't disputing the choke hold.  I didnt' remember it, but I believed you when you said it.  When you said "i saw the OL holding on almost every play" I apparently incorrectly interpreted that as they were blocking well.  Misunderstanding on my part. 

Generally I'm pleased (yesterday I was freaking out). However, I was a little disappointed in two things: Andrew has no excuse for not seeing those blitzes & audibling to a better play. But I'll cut him some slack, its week 1. But I expected better.

A couple of the plays Luck saw pressure, he didn't pick up the blitz.  But yeah there is an excuse, he's a second year QB and he's not Peyton Manning, he's a completely different QB.  Infact, 2nd year Manning would miss blitzes himself. 

However, don't absolve the o-line of all criticism a good portion of the pressure came from players not handling their match up, I only remember a couple times an unblocked blitzer came in for Luck. 

Also Manning wouldn't have broken a tackle or made plays with his legs like Luck did.  Luck is more of a gutsy QB and he showed it in this game.  Yeah, it would have been better to just throw it away and live to fight another day like Manning would have, but that's not his style.

I wonder if the Colts yesterday as a team were playing Butch, being told to take a dive and stupid pride got the better of them in the end. 

Either that or Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor played "Butch" & Antoine Bethea played the part of Marsellus. To modify his line slightly: In the fourth, your caboose goes down. Say it."  haha And Pryor's did too...

[Actual line: "In the fifth, your caboose goes down. Say it.] Okay, SW1 will drop the "Pulp Fiction" jokes now, but I do love that movie though...

Did we play a fullback on most non third down plays??

I'm going to re-watch the game later, but from first glance - I'm NOT liking the FB sets.  I hope Pep is flexible enough to give up on it if it's as bad next week.

We only had, what 7 series?  So it should be pretty easy to chart the O plays.  If someone has already done it, please start a thread.

Either that or Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor played "Butch" & Antoine Bethea played the part of Marsellus. To modify his line slightly: In the fourth, your caboose goes down. Say it." haha And Pryor's did too...

[Actual line: "In the fifth, your caboose goes down. Say it.] Okay, SW1 will drop the "Pulp Fiction" jokes now, but I do love that movie though...

It's a favourite of mine too you hadn't guessed.

Watching Charles Woodson's facial expression on that Andrew Luck running touchdown was simply priceless. :D  I like Charles as a player, but he chose money over Denver & a Championship bid, so SW1 doesn't feel that sad for him personally. No one forced him to resign with Oakland. 

It's a favourite of mine too you hadn't guessed.

My friends are just cool like "3 little fonzies" right Ringo? "Correct A Mundo & that's what we're gonna be. We're gonna be cool."  :P  

Okay, I promise I stop now as soon as I get my "royale with cheese" from McDonalds in Amsterdam.  lmao Hold the mayonnaise on my french fries though. Thanks.

Tarver served as co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Stanford in 2011, after spending 10 seasons in various coaching capacities with the San Francisco 49ers.

Tarver was appointed co-defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Stanford in February 2011 and coordinated one of the top defensive units in the PAC-12. The Cardinal ranked either first or second in the conference in six defensive categories, rushing defense (first-84.4), third-down conversion defense (first-31.1), scoring defense (second-21.9), total defense (second-337.6), sacks per game (second-3.0) and opponent first downs (second-17.5). Stanford finished third nationally in rushing defense, sixth in third-down-conversion defense (31.0; 51-164) and 11th in sacks per game (3.0).