Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Werner

YOUR GM

Correct me if I'm wrong but most Rookie Pass Rushers are chucked in with one job and that's to rush the passer until they adjust to the NFL and can expand their role. It seems like Werner has had to take on more and it's causing him some hesitation as he's thinking rather than just doing. 

yes exactly.  that was their plan initially per comments from Pagano during Training camp.  However, the injury to Sidbury forced them to have to teach Werner the SamLB spot as well because, frankly, he was the only guy on the roster they could teach it to.  The other option at the time was Rayford.  So now, instead of being Mathis' backup at RushLB with the primary responsibility of rushing the passer, Werner is essentially the primary backup to both Walden and Mathis.  So he's had to learn a lot more run contain and gap discipline concepts, as well as playing special teams which is also something unfamiliar to him.  

So yes the bottom line, I definitely agree with you...he's having to think about his responsibilities each play instead of it coming naturally.  At FSU he proved to be a very quick learner being able to transition what he's learned to the field relatively quickly so hopefully that trend will continue now with the Colts.  What I'll be looking for, and I think we all should be looking for, is simply for him to show improvement from week to week.  :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes exactly.  that was their plan initially per comments from Pagano during Training camp.  However, the injury to Sidbury forced them to have to teach Werner the SamLB spot as well because, frankly, he was the only guy on the roster they could teach it to.  The other option at the time was Rayford.  So now, instead of being Mathis' backup at RushLB with the primary responsibility of rushing the passer, Werner is essentially the primary backup to both Walden and Mathis.  So he's had to learn a lot more run contain and gap discipline concepts, as well as playing special teams which is also something unfamiliar to him.  

So yes the bottom line, I definitely agree with you...he's having to think about his responsibilities each play instead of it coming naturally.  At FSU he proved to be a very quick learner being able to transition what he's learned to the field relatively quickly so hopefully that trend will continue now with the Colts.  What I'll be looking for, and I think we all should be looking for, is simply for him to show improvement from week to week.   :)

Thank you for summing it up much better than me! In the long run then it might work out better as we could get a more rounded OLB. We all know that we're going to have to replace Matthis at some point and if you've already got Werner in place it could ease that transition. 

I think Sunday showed the importance of our OLBs being just more than QB hunting dogs. 

Thank you for summing it up much better than me! In the long run then it might work out better as we could get a more rounded OLB. We all know that we're going to have to replace Matthis at some point and if you've already got Werner in place it could ease that transition.

I think Sunday showed the importance of our OLBs being just more than QB hunting dogs.

Exactly! Good points by both of u guys... I like the big kid a lot it's gonna take a little time