Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Vs. Raiders Game Day Thread

LucasOilStadium

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers died of complications from dementia. It seems that he had it for many years.  He was 77.   Most of us never saw him play but those who saw him thought he was a dynamic runner. I read Brian Piccolo: A Short Season many years well before I had an appreciation for football. I enjoyed the book as well as the movie Brian's Song   Anyone have memories of Gale Sayers?
    • Ehh, I don't really agree.    Herbert went at #6. He wasn't really in play for the Colts, who had #13. And if you do move up and he's not right for you, that's definitely worse than passing on a QB who winds up being pretty good. I don't think a GM should operate from the stance that their favorite QB in the draft is going to become Patrick Mahomes; on average, first round QBs underperform, not overperform. So not addressing QB isn't worse, IMO, not when we're talking about giving up significant assets to get the guy you want.   Love hasn't played yet. Preliminary reports aren't thrilling. We'll see how he turns out, but the Colts still had a reasonable chance to get him, and chose not to make a move. He didn't pass on Love to grab a DT.    And just to repeat myself, we don't know what Herbert and Love will wind up being. I like them both. I'm not heartbroken we didn't draft either of them. Time will tell whether I'm underselling this.   They chose to go with a veteran bridge QB, and see what happens. That has a chance to work for us for the next season or two, and then we'll see whether we have a guy that can take the reins.    Lastly, 3T is super important for our team. It's become critical for any good defense, and we've literally never had game breaker at that position. If Buckner works out for us, that move will be a winner.
    • I don't know about that one... but this was the playoffs of the 2003 season, Manning was at the very beginning of his stretch of dominance over the league. Dungy was also a very conservative head coach, even for 2003. Can't imagine any coach giving these instructions in 2020, but the league has become a lot more progressive in a relatively short period of time.    It was two years later in the playoffs against the Steelers when PM had to shoo the punt team off the field for a 4th down play. We all remember the visual. But I decided to look up the play by play. It was 21-3, Steelers, and that 4th down play was the last play of the 3rd quarter, ball at the Indy 36. It's hard to imagine any coach punting in that situation right now, especially with a QB who just won MVP by throwing 49 TDs the previous season. But Dungy's reflex was to punt, and it took PM, back to back MVP winner, QB of a team that started the season 13-0, to convince Dungy to let the offense go for it. Dungy mouthed his response: "It's on you."    My point is that it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Dungy wasn't a fan of PM having so much control at the line of scrimmage, especially back in 2003/2004, on the road, AFFCG. 
    • I agree and Id add that not addressing QB is the same (or worse) as making a bad pick at the position. Herbert and Love were in play but Ballard chose to address the DT position instead. The team needed a QB, there were QBs to be had and he passed. As those guys continue to develop and start to play its a reflection on Ballard imo.   
    • @Jared Cisneros @Narcosys   Choosing 1 from these for a flex: DeSean Jackson, Mike Gesicki, Mark Ingram, Corey Davis
  • Members