Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gilreath to replace White?

indy_nick

I was very surprised when the Colts signed Gilreath out of Wisconsin yesterday. I felt that our receiving crew was one of the best in football when healthy, and I thought we would focus on other positions. Do you guys think Gilreath to compete with Blair White for the #5 WR spot? I feel that White was often-times left on the roster just because he was our punt returner. With Gilreath being the best KR and PR in the big ten, I have to feel that he will be returning kicks this year. Does that still leave a spot for Blair White? Will we have a 6 WR roster? Wil Gilreath be listed at a different position? Do you think one of these guys will be on the practice squad until Gonzo gets his annual injury? What do you guys think will happen with this?

I think nick may be right about keeping 6 WRs this year if Gilreath is good enough returning kicks because I really don't see us cutting White. White outplays his paycheck and experience and is good insurance if one of the other 4 receivers go down. I'm not worried about Collie's concussion problems so much but there's no guarantee Gonzalez can keep his knees together although he did say he would've came back last year if there wasn't roster problems. Either way Gonzalez and White are both on low cap contracts so unless one of them gets hurt and Gilreath proves to be amazing, there's a good chance we keep 6 receivers

I think people read way too much into UDFA signings. Every team is allowed to have (now) 90 players on their roster for training camp. Every team is going to take full advantage of that. So teams pick players so they can look at them and see if they can make the transition.

It's possible Gilreath could supplant White on the roster, it's just as possible that he Gilreath doesn't last past the first round of cuts.

I think people read way too much into UDFA signings. Every team is allowed to have (now) 90 players on their roster for training camp. Every team is going to take full advantage of that. So teams pick players so they can look at them and see if they can make the transition.

It's possible Gilreath could supplant White on the roster, it's just as possible that he Gilreath doesn't last past the first round of cuts.

I know most of the UDFAs won't make the cut. The Colts will have to cut what 40 people or so before the 1st reg season game (that is if we get our roster up to 90)? I'm just excited that we got such a good KR and PR in Gilreath. I've felt all along the only three glaring needs this team had was DT, safety, and special teams. If not Gilreath, I hope we get some other people that can help improve us in that area.

Sorry Blair white proved really nothing last year. He still was too SLOW

OK, White proved that Usain Bolt need not fear him, but he also proved quite a bit as far as being a productive WR. He proved he can run great routs and catch. Those are the most important qualities that the Colts look for in a WR. He also has good size. If you look at what he did in college combined with what he did coming of the practice squad last year, he has proved he is a NFL caliber receiver.

Anyone who thinks white is a roster lock is crazy. He did his job people. He didnt excel but he didnt suck. An okay punt returner but really nothing special. Too slow. If this Gilreath shows he can return kicks like he did in college i could see him taking whites spot easily.

Anyone who thinks white is a roster lock is crazy. He did his job people. He didnt excel but he didnt suck. An okay punt returner but really nothing special. Too slow. If this Gilreath shows he can return kicks like he did in college i could see him taking whites spot easily.

Agree 100%. Let them battle for the spot.

Sorry Blair white proved really nothing last year. He still was too SLOW

OK, White proved that Usain Bolt need not fear him, but he also proved quite a bit as far as being a productive WR. He proved he can run great routs and catch. Those are the most important qualities that the Colts look for in a WR. He also has good size. If you look at what he did in college combined with what he did coming of the practice squad last year, he has proved he is a NFL caliber receiver.

Blair White looked like a natural at times when playing along side Peyton when Collie was hurt. According to most articles I've read the guy has great work ethic and it's going to take one heck of a good WR to beat him for his spot. I think he may end up as our 4th WR a year or two from now depending on what receivers are injured and/or not returning.