Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Thomas the Oline savior?

BronxColtNYC

So I know it's early but there are some interesting stats regarding the left side of our line in rushing situations this preseason.

When it comes to running the ball behind this poor offensive line, it's all about knowing your strengths. 

Overall, the Colts struggled to run the ball last season, but there was one bright spot on the OL: Anthony Castonzo. 

When running behind Castonzo or around the left end, the Colts averaged nearly 4.3 yards per carry last season. When handing the ball off in any other direction, the team averaged less than 3.5 yards per carry, according to Pro Football Focus. 

It made sense: Castonzo was clearly the team's strongest run-blocker, and it showed in the results. 

In the preseason this year, things haven't changed much. 

According to Pro Football Focus, when the Colts tried to run behind the left guard, left tackle or around the left end, they ran for over 5.3 yards per carry. When they ran anywhere else (the middle or right), they averaged just 2.8 yards per carry. 

It seems Castonzo and Thomas are gelling well.

Posting link to article...

Need some better RG play. I am not giving up on Satele just yet. I will give him a few games this season to see if he improves. Cherlius is still up in the air as well. He hasn't had a great preseason but he was great in Detroit. I hope AC takes that next step this year and truly improved on his pass blocking. He is in year 3 now and I am kind of expecting him to make that jump. 

Yeah, the only huge weakness on the line right now is McGlynn. Satele is no world beater, but I think may improve with better guards around him.

Castonzo and Thomas have done pretty well, I think. Aside from a few plays against the Browns (Kruger) Cherilus has done well, too

Thornton looks impressive to me....I think Grigson found something good with him.

This is what I'm hoping....OG has been a glaring weakness for far too long.

Thomas looks pretty solid and if Thornton can steadily progress, then it's one more step forward.

Staying healthy will be huge...as always.

Yeah, the only huge weakness on the line right now is McGlynn. Satele is no world beater, but I think may improve with better guards around him.

Castonzo and Thomas have done pretty well, I think. Aside from a few plays against the Browns (Kruger) Cherilus has done well, too

Agreed.....Also Satele is best out when he can use his mobility out in space on the run I have noticed, He will never be a mauler but out in space he wont hesitate to lay a  big hit  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx9zCIjkevw

Also that stiff arm by Kruger wicked but Cherilus gave up inside position...a direct path to the QB

Plug Thornton in and add a C..

Just kidding.. A little..

I think we are still a little ways from being a good line..

Need to build chemistry.

I do like Thomas and Cherilus though.,

I think that's exactly what we should do.

Castonzo, Thomas, C, Thornton, Cherilus is a respectable line imo. Not elite by any means, but good enough to allow our skill position players to wreak havoc!

Need some better RG play. I am not giving up on Satele just yet. I will give him a few games this season to see if he improves. Cherlius is still up in the air as well. He hasn't had a great preseason but he was great in Detroit. I hope AC takes that next step this year and truly improved on his pass blocking. He is in year 3 now and I am kind of expecting him to make that jump. 

Satelle was one of the lowest rated Centers when we got him. After over 60 starts. He is as bad as we think he is!

Castonzo pass blocks fine (for a RT) if he catches the guy. Lets hope he gets quicker and developes a little better footwork.

Am I being stupid in asking this I wonder...

But for me AC has always looked a solid run blocker but with a few questions on his pass protection. Gosder grades well in pass protection but struggles sometimes with run. Are our tackles the wrong way round?

I'm thinking the exact same thing. It does make sense

I think that's exactly what we should do.

Castonzo, Thomas, C, Thornton, Cherilus is a respectable line imo. Not elite by any means, but good enough to allow our skill position players to wreak havoc!

If not Holmes, hopefully we can find a free agent or draft choice at center next season..

Crossing my fingers..

Am I being stupid in asking this I wonder...

But for me AC has always looked a solid run blocker but with a few questions on his pass protection. Gosder grades well in pass protection but struggles sometimes with run. Are our tackles the wrong way round?

While I don't necessarily think we should go the route of switching both of their positions, it was an interesting observation on your part. You make a good point 

While I don't necessarily think we should go the route of switching both of their positions, it was an interesting observation on your part. You make a good point

I don't profess to know about the technique and beard science of o line play to really say yes they should swap but its just something that I'm curious about. I think the traditional LT vs RT role in a offence has narrowed somewhat with the more exotic formations used and the amount of per snap motion, quite often flipping the strong and weak side.