Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

People analyzing the Peyton/Luck thing....[Merge]

presto123

Too all of you who don't want to talk about the Manning/Luck thing (you know, one of the biggest story lines in sports, especially here in Colt land), what do you want to talk about? The weather? Ceasar Rayford? John Boyett?  Dude just threw 7 freaking touchdown passes! It was incredible and it's completely reasonable to take note, and wounder aloud what it all means. 

Fish, you know my stance....and I will talk to you all day about Peyton.  I am just tired of the "comparisons"   the "what coulda, woulda, shoulda" been...   

For me, what's going on now  is the best of both worlds.   And yes, Peyton was incredible last night.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no way we had the cap room we would have had to sign the players we did in the offseason if we kept Peyton. It was fair to Grigson to provide him a new QB when we had the greatest opportunity to get once in a decade draft pick, and start fresh to take advantage of the rookie wage scale as well with a new coach.

The best decision was made in terms of Peyton and Luck, IMO. I will never wish for Peyton to fail (except when he plays the Colts) or wish him hurt because of all that he has done for the Colts franchise. However, I can't do anything but embrace Luck because he is such an easy guy to root for and I know the Colts' franchise future is in good hands.

A decision of 3 or 4 years vs 13 or 14 years of good/great QB play was what it came down to. The right decision was made for the long term, not the short term. A win-win, if you ask me for Broncos and Colts fans.

Too all of you who don't want to talk about the Manning/Luck thing (you know, one of the biggest story lines in sports, especially here in Colt land), what do you want to talk about? The weather? Ceasar Rayford? John Boyett?  Dude just threw 7 freaking touchdown passes! It was incredible and it's completely reasonable to take note, and wounder aloud what it all means.

But bringing Luck into into the discussion just rehashes dozens of old threads. There really isn't anything new to add.

Count me in the school of thought that the Colts are already contenders.  Most years the top two or three teams in the league (the "elite" teams) DON'T win the SB!  This year the consensus pre-season analysis would say that Seattle, Denver, and SF are those elite teams.  However you want to slice it, there are probably another 15 to 20 "contenders" that could take it all if things unfold well for them.  I'd definitely put the Colts solidly in the top half of these contenders, and possibly right at the top of them...

It can't be win win for Colts fans if the broncos beat you and deny you Super Bowls in the next three years. If you are a Peyton fan, this logic works, but arrogant broncos fans chirping and carping in your ear will turn a win win into a lose lose.

The Broncos won't beat us for the next 3 years, maybe this year but I doubt our franchise will be held back for all of the next 3 years by the Broncos. About those Broncos fans, yeah, you may be right, we can tune them off though. :)

And of course airhead supreme: Skip Bayless asks if Colts fans regret letting Manning go. #facepalm ugh

He did that all year last year too. He also said Manning was going to stick it to Irsay by winning the Superbowl last year.

Oh yeah, the guy has a Lebron James type of hate toward Luck as well.

Manning will kill us in October! 

Common sense!   Come on.  This guy ran the Colts organization for years.  If there is anything he doesn't know about the Colts right now, he can probably guess it.  Loosing Manning was the greatest loss Indianapolis has ever suffered.  He is a genious and bound for another MVP and at least one more Superbowl ring.  The best we can hope for is waiting untill he decides to re-tire.

I already said I think Irsay made the right move on the Manning/ Luck deal. However , if I was a Colts fan it would certainly sting if Manning won two Super Bowls in Denver. Lets face facts, you know it was the right move, but you would sure like those SuperBowl rings. If Luck goes five years without winning a Super Bowl , and Denver got one or two, you have to admit it would hurt.

Not at all.  Manning wasn't winning another ring here, so why would it hurt?   He had a tough enough time winning just one here when the team was loaded, how was he going to win one without Mathis/Wayne/Freeney plus all the other guys that were cut and now out of the NFL?   The only way it would sting would be if the Colts let Manning go for Luck but still had a championship caliber roster and then Luck failed to get it done while Manning went elsewhere and won.  That wasn't the case.

But bringing Luck into into the discussion just rehashes dozens of old threads. There really isn't anything new to add.

Fair enough, but it's a forum. It's a natural conversation topic after a historic performance, I'm not telling you folks that have followed ever conversation in the media and here in the forum on the subject that you shouldn't or haven't reached some kind of closure. I'm just saying, this isn't going away because we've explained our thoughts on this scenario multiple times.

To put it bluntly, it doesn't mean much of anything.  Manning is still going to be judged based on what he does come January. Nothing he does in the regular season should surprise anyone anymore.

Common sense! Come on. This guy ran the Colts organization for years. If there is anything he doesn't know about the Colts right now, he can probably guess it. Loosing Manning was the greatest loss Indianapolis has ever suffered. He is a genious and bound for another MVP and at least one more Superbowl ring. The best we can hope for is waiting untill he decides to re-tire.

So you think we will "loose?" How much will we "loose" by? It sure would stink to "loose" that game, but like any team loosing" once won't sink us.

"Loose."

To put it bluntly, it doesn't mean much of anything.  Manning is still going to be judged based on what he does come January. Nothing he does in the regular season should surprise anyone anymore.

7 td's in a single game hasn't been done in 40 odd years. That's fairly surprising.

Your right, too bad for #18 he has to play another 15 games before the playoffs.

7 td's in a single game hasn't been done in 40 odd years. That's fairly surprising.

Your right, too bad for #18 he has to play another 15 games before the playoffs.

7 TD's is a great performance.  So was the 6 TD performance he had in Detroit in less then 3 qtr of play in 2004. 

Great game, but it doesn't mean much just like i said.  I'm sure if you ask he would trade one or 2 of them for the 2 picks he threw last year in the playoff game.

Common sense!   Come on.  This guy ran the Colts organization for years.  If there is anything he doesn't know about the Colts right now, he can probably guess it.  Loosing Manning was the greatest loss Indianapolis has ever suffered.  He is a genious and bound for another MVP and at least one more Superbowl ring.  The best we can hope for is waiting untill he decides to re-tire.

Wrong forum....

I was listening to JT the brick tonight and he was going on and on about how Manning's performance tonight might be his best ever. Then he said...." some would think Colts are kicking themselves for getting rid of Manning" followed by......."not true.....the Colts already have the next Peyton manning on their team". 

I couldn't agree more. Peyton had a classic game and I still love watching the guy play but I'm glad the way it worked out. The rebuild will be a lot faster without that enormous salary and I can't wait to see the Colts be good on BOTH sides of the ball. All is good in Colts land:)

I have said here before this season began that I thought Peyton would have one of the most amazing seasons and perhaps the best all time season by a QB in NFL history. That team is loaded on offense. Peyton has never had a better core of receivers in his career and they can have a running game too. I look for 5000+ yards and TDs threatening 50 or more. Great start.

They need to get some superstar defensive players back on the field. They will be ready when they play the Colts.

This is now going to be talked about ad nauseum. Nice to see Bob Kravitz is still jumping in there, and beating old stories to death.  :deadhorse:

It was almost like Kravitz wanted to remind Colts fans why we let Peyton go to alleviate any guilt or remorse following last night's game, if any whatsoever, by re-hashing everything. Kravitz should know there was not a single soul amongsy Colts lovers that was not aware of how and why it went down that way, I doubt any of us forgot.

However Kravitz felt that he had to remind them again. :)

Not at all.  Manning wasn't winning another ring here, so why would it hurt?   He had a tough enough time winning just one here when the team was loaded, how was he going to win one without Mathis/Wayne/Freeney plus all the other guys that were cut and now out of the NFL?   The only way it would sting would be if the Colts let Manning go for Luck but still had a championship caliber roster and then Luck failed to get it done while Manning went elsewhere and won.  That wasn't the case.

I disagree Indy may not have won another ring with Manning still there. I can tell you one thing, Denver would be floundering without Manning right now, make no mistake about it. Goofy Elway might still have Tebow, they would have never gotten Welker, and they would have been mediocre like they have since 2000. Manning always gives you a chance. 

I disagree Indy may not have won another ring with Manning still there. I can tell you one thing, Denver would be floundering without Manning right now, make no mistake about it. Goofy Elway might still have Tebow, they would have never gotten Welker, and they would have been mediocre like they have since 2000. Manning always gives you a chance. 

Denver may or may not have been struggling, but it wouldn't be due to a lack of talent on the roster.  The Colts were not that talented, as evidence by the 2 win season when Manning was out.  Also, Welker would not be in Indy either, we wouldn't have been able to afford him. Heck, we wouldn't have been able to afford our own guys.