Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I hope Flacco sees what a top-paid QB actually looks like.

ReMeDy

The Raven's were given the choice of 3 teams. (Chi, Den, Pitt) They chose Denver because they didn't want to play Denver later in the season when they were in mid-season form (like last year). They thought if they played them early they would catch them before they were clicking. Honestly it worked for a half...but they wanted that game...and they got it. As for everything else...i agree with you. Imagine how bad the team would have been if they let him go and were starting Geno Smith?? He may not be worth that money...but sometimes you pay a premium for what the guy means to you. I will say half those losses are on Peyton...he has had some brutal games early in his career against elite defenses (most playoff teams are top 10 defenses and most of those were 3-4 that he has more issues with). But several were games the whole team let get away...especially when we couldn't stop anyone or was turning it over. There has been many games like last year against Baltimore and in 2010 when Peyton lead a game winning drive in the final few minutes to only have his defense/coach do stupid things and give away the game. Peyton hasn't had a lot of luck in the playoffs....no teammates making catches with their helmets or hail mary's but I agree...he hasn't played the same in the playoffs against the toughest of opponents...he usually feasts on weak defenses during the season...like most qbs.

In the eight one-and-done games in particular

The staggering number of drops (over 30 in the equivalent of half a season) and tipped-ball interceptions do QB numbers little justice. One loss was by 41 points (( early in carer to jjets )), and the other seven by 26 points combined.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When your defense allows a fourth-quarter comeback 60 percent of the time (6-4), you have a real problem. It is one thing to let Drew Brees do it, but when it's Jay Fiedler, Billy Volek, Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco? That is completely unacceptable.

Manning's had a lead in the final 0:40 of the fourth quarter and lost four playoff games.

The only four times Manning's teams have held off comeback attempts, they led to three straight wins and a Super Bowl in 2006, and a Super Bowl appearance in 2009 after holding off the Jets.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/7/23/4548270/peyton-manning-physical-v-mental

FULL article 

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/peyton-mannings-9-11-playoff-record-is-call-for-help/20868/

But this has been rehashed to much already

flaco about 5 playoff wins team only gave up on average 10 points, in 1 gaame he beat Pats with only 4 completions, posted it somewhere with link other day

Very true. My comment about Flacco was limited to last seasons playoffs. There have been very few QBs that has had the defensive protection that Flacco has had during their playoff histories. The only ones that come to mind are Trent Dilfer and Jim McMahon. Dilfer threw for 12 TDs with a rating of 76.6 and MCMahon threw for 11 TDs with a 82.6 rating. 

Very true. My comment about Flacco was limited to last seasons playoffs. There have been very few QBs that has had the defensive protection that Flacco has had during their playoff histories. The only ones that come to mind are Trent Dilfer and Jim McMahon. Dilfer threw for 12 TDs with a rating of 76.6 and MCMahon threw for 11 TDs with a 82.6 rating. 

oh those 85 bears D,one of if not the standard

Jim Caldwell wanted to put it in Flaccos hands and he did from the start, The 1st quarter alone The run to pass plays for the Ravens was 14-6, with Champ Bailey being out and a supposed less of a pass rush do to Miller being suspended I can see why but ya got Ray Rice.........ya give him the ball (which turned out to be way wrong....Broncos had 8 QB hits and 4 sacks  ) on those 6 runs the Ravens carried for 45 yards...Thats 7.5 yards per carry with only 1 negative run for -1 yard

To be fair Flacco did not have that bad of a game.  He had a couple boneheaded plays, but almost all QBs do that at some point.  His receivers let him down big time given all of the drops they had last night.  Dallas Clark should be embarrassed for dropping that touchdown pass.

Also, it pretty hard for me to get on Flacco given what he has to pass to.  His best weapon on offense is his running back and for some reason Calwell refused to really use him.  Smith is not a number one WR, Jacoby Jones got injured, Pita is hurt and he has Stokely and Clark who are pay past their prime.  Not many QBs could do much with that lineup.  

To be fair Flacco did not have that bad of a game.  He had a couple boneheaded plays, but almost all QBs do that at some point.  His receivers let him down big time given all of the drops they had last night.  Dallas Clark should be embarrassed for dropping that touchdown pass.

Also, it pretty hard for me to get on Flacco given what he has to pass to.  His best weapon on offense is his running back and for some reason Calwell refused to really use him.  Smith is not a number one WR, Jacoby Jones got injured, Pita is hurt and he has Stokely and Clark who are pay past their prime.  Not many QBs could do much with that lineup.  

I don't think Flacco played well, but I agree that he wasn't terrible. I'd say mediocre at best.

Like you said, the drops are certainly not Flacco's fault. However, throwing the two picks and missed throws were. Flacco is extremely fortunate one of those picks did not auto seal the loss thanks to a moronic display that shall go down as the imbecilic moment of the season. Across all teams.

As for what Flacco had to work with:

-A decent run game (though not utilized as you mentioned)

-Stokely did all right with Denver last season. Not great, but not terrible. Even at his age, Stokely is a serviceable WR for a solid QB.

-Clark has pretty much done nothing since he had Peyton throwing it to him. (Though I love the guy, unlike Marvin/Reggie I think he was a by product of the QB)

-With Jones/Pitta gone Flacco lost his ability to throw the jump ball Phillip Rivers special. Nothing a good QB can't overcome, just have be accurate.

Flacco did make some nice throws, but many of them were, as previously mentioned, drops that weren't his fault.

Honestly? I think the hardest thing the Ravens had to overcome was losing their tackle. Their pass protection suffered greatly afterward. When Flacco couldn't sit back there drinking Kool Aid and throwing up long horribly thrown passes on a wing and a prayer, they got clocked.

The Ravens got one horrible call against them, but can't blame the refs since they had the opportunity to easily overturn it. The Ravens had one thing (self inflicted) go against them and the entire team crapped themselves, not just Flacco.

Jim Caldwell wanted to put it in Flaccos hands and he did from the start, The 1st quarter alone The run to pass plays for the Ravens was 14-6, with Champ Bailey being out and a supposed less of a pass rush do to Miller being suspended I can see why but ya got Ray Rice.........ya give him the ball (which turned out to be way wrong....Broncos had 8 QB hits and 4 sacks  ) on those 6 runs the Ravens carried for 45 yards...Thats 7.5 yards per carry with only 1 negative run for -1 yard

Yeah, I think if this tread continues, Rice is going to speak up ala Tikki Barber. You have to feed Rice. They were doing well when they did run as you pointed out. The other RB was doing ok too. Number 30. Forgetting his name for some reason. You can only put the ball in Flacco's hands so many times, especially when he was missing so many weapons.

Yeah, I think if this tread continues, Rice is going to speak up ala Tikki Barber. You have to feed Rice. They were doing well when they did run as you pointed out. The other RB was doing ok too. Number 30. Forgetting his name for some reason. You can only put the ball in Flacco's hands so many times, especially when he was missing so many weapons.

RB Bernard Pierce was very good last year and complemented Rice quite well

I adjusted your post . . . just saying . . . when one looks at Eli's career outside 8 games in Jan/Feb 2008 and 2012, what do you have? . . . is it really any more or less impressive than Flacco? . . .

And I am sure there are some on this board who like Eli and even think he is Elite and so on . . . if one wants to look at Eli in a given light then one should not view Flacco any different . . .

This is not necessarily a direct response to you Jvan, just a general shout out to those on this board who hold Eli in high regard but might think Flacco is less than stellar  . . . .

EDIT: There are some in the media thinking Eli will be in the HOF and many placing him on the bubble . . .  

I actually like Flacco, and think he did okay out there last night under weird circumstances and unfortunate injuries.

But you know...Eli actually did take the league's worst running game to the Superbowl and win it, as was mentioned before.

I think he's won with overall far more inferior teams.

I actually like Flacco, and think he did okay out there last night under weird circumstances and unfortunate injuries.

But you know...Eli actually did take the league's worst running game to the Superbowl and win it, as was mentioned before.

I think he's won with overall far more inferior teams.

Eli's first four years in the league are comparable to Mark Sanchez statistically. He had Coughlin on the hot season in 2007 AND 2011 before the magic carpet rides. Eli played with perhaps the best defensive front in football both seasons he won the bowl and benefited from an awful lot of luck both playoff runs - i.e. Tyree's catch, two muffed punts in SF, and Welker's drop. I was MUCH more impressed with what Flacco did last year with a middle of the road defense that was old and injured and an offense that was taken from Rice and given to him in the playoffs to lead which he did to historical measures with 11 TDs to 0 INTs.

In the end, I think both are slightly above average QBs but Flacco's numbers are better for his first five years compared to Eli and his playoff run was much more impressive.

Look, here's the bottom line. The game was a trap game for the Ravens that never should have been played in Denver. This wasn't the fault of the Orioles, but the NFL, but that's just the way it was.  No one is comparing Manning and Flacco at this point in their careers except for anti-Raven sorts. Flacco didn't play horrible last night, but his receivers did. Stokely and Clark looked old. Dickson dropped four passes and Clark two, one that should have been a touchdown. Joe could have played better, but we got too far behind in the third quarter. The key play was the non-call on Welker's dropped pass that apparently was not shown in the coaches booth by NBC, according to reporters in Baltimore, and a bum special team's guy wiping out Jacoby Jones. We should have been up 21-14 at half, and the one Denver touchdown should have been a punt, but that's the way it goes. The call wasn't made, and the Broncos got the momentum.  As for the Raven's secondary, except for Webb, the report card is an F. The two safeties Huff and Ihedigbo were dreadful. Time to put in Matt Elam for one of them. Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham were torched. 

Bottom line is Denver played well, and Peyton was great, as he usually always is against the Ravens. The Ravens totally dismantled their roster, which had to be done, as that team had gotten too old and too expensive. That is just how it is after you win a Super Bowl. This was a tough game for the Ravens with a revamped roster that hasn't jelled yet, against a revenge minded opponent at their home, with all the emotion on their side, after a tough playoff loss. You can say what you want about Flacco's salary, maybe he's worth it, maybe he isn't. However as fans, if you shell out that money for a player, you wants wins , playoff games, and Championships, and Flacco has provided that as a quarterback. Maybe he's not Manning or Brady, but he's the best quarterback available to the Ravens, and better than any other quarterback they've ever had. He's done great in the playoffs, which you can't take away from him. 

Wait until Luck is up for his next payday. The Colts will have to make some decisions on players, and it won't be easy. Manning showed why he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time last night, but like I said in another post, how can a guy who threw seven touchdown passes last night, be 9-11 in the playoffs? It just doesn't add up. 

Here's my take on this. It's ridiculous to look at game 1 after Flacco signs a big contract and start with all this " I told you so stuff." Let it at least play out for the year before passing judgement . One of these posters even mentioned how great it was to see Flacco slapped in the face.

Now as to your post. Mostly good but you need to learn what a trap game is if you want to use that description. It's a game vs a weak opponent that precedes or follows (usually precedes) a tough , important game. For example , the week before the Ravens might play the Bengles for the division lead , they have Jacksonville. The Jack. game is called a "trap game" as they are taking the Jags lightly and are thinking more about the following week's big game.

Look, here's the bottom line. The game was a trap game for the Ravens that never should have been played in Denver. This wasn't the fault of the Orioles, but the NFL, but that's just the way it was.  No one is comparing Manning and Flacco at this point in their careers except for anti-Raven sorts. Flacco didn't play horrible last night, but his receivers did. Stokely and Clark looked old. Dickson dropped four passes and Clark two, one that should have been a touchdown. Joe could have played better, but we got too far behind in the third quarter. The key play was the non-call on Welker's dropped pass that apparently was not shown in the coaches booth by NBC, according to reporters in Baltimore, and a bum special team's guy wiping out Jacoby Jones. We should have been up 21-14 at half, and the one Denver touchdown should have been a punt, but that's the way it goes. The call wasn't made, and the Broncos got the momentum.  As for the Raven's secondary, except for Webb, the report card is an F. The two safeties Huff and Ihedigbo were dreadful. Time to put in Matt Elam for one of them. Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham were torched. 

Bottom line is Denver played well, and Peyton was great, as he usually always is against the Ravens. The Ravens totally dismantled their roster, which had to be done, as that team had gotten too old and too expensive. That is just how it is after you win a Super Bowl. This was a tough game for the Ravens with a revamped roster that hasn't jelled yet, against a revenge minded opponent at their home, with all the emotion on their side, after a tough playoff loss. You can say what you want about Flacco's salary, maybe he's worth it, maybe he isn't. However as fans, if you shell out that money for a player, you wants wins , playoff games, and Championships, and Flacco has provided that as a quarterback. Maybe he's not Manning or Brady, but he's the best quarterback available to the Ravens, and better than any other quarterback they've ever had. He's done great in the playoffs, which you can't take away from him. 

Wait until Luck is up for his next payday. The Colts will have to make some decisions on players, and it won't be easy. Manning showed why he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time last night, but like I said in another post, how can a guy who threw seven touchdown passes last night, be 9-11 in the playoffs? It just doesn't add up. 

I don't think it was so much of Flacco's play as it was the Ravens defense. The first half was pretty close but after the Bronco's made their halftime adjustments the Ravens defense got torched. Manning had them on their heals most all of the second half and that made the Ravens abandon the running game in hopes of keeping up. All that did was let the Bronco's pin their ears back and play the pass. Plus it gave Manning more time to work. At that point in the game the only way the Ravens was going to have a chance was to keep the ball away from Manning. 

It adds up just fine if you keep in mind that NFL games are won and lost as a team. I don't have the stats right now but quite a few of those playoff loses came from the total lack of team play. No running game and special teams played a huge part in those loses. Manning looked at the top of his game last night but it can't be overlooked how well the Broncos looked after their second half adjustments. Yes we all know when Luck's rookie contract is up it's going to be expensive. But hopefully Griggs wont have 30 or 40% of the cap space taken up in 5 or 6 overpaid players. Griggs has already shown he is willing to do what he thinks is best and pay no attention to those who feel different. There will be times when Griggs will not be 100% correct and make a blunder or two but that's the nature of the NFL. Peace.

I don't think it was so much of Flacco's play as it was the Ravens defense. The first half was pretty close but after the Bronco's made their halftime adjustments the Ravens defense got torched. Manning had them on their heals most all of the second half and that made the Ravens abandon the running game in hopes of keeping up. All that did was let the Bronco's pin their ears back and play the pass. Plus it gave Manning more time to work. At that point in the game the only way the Ravens was going to have a chance was to keep the ball away from Manning. 

Young new defense needs a leader to step up liker lewis to rally troops when down,. also its their first game, they have to get chemistry over real playing time,. not preseason & a team without chemistry is well just plain no chance Vs Peyton once he has u figured out, also wait till later, Pita may yet be back later this season that will help, also the injuries Ravens had last night didnt help

Like last year, denver scored most 2nd half points, they are starting same way, Peyton likes getting ball in 2nd half unlike as a colt when we got first if won toss and team often scored on first drive

how does a guy win a playoff game with less than 10 completions?

dont know but he bear Pats with 4 completions with a great defense one year so guess great defesive play is answer

see my initial answer above  to crazycolt1,

also as far as what i highlighted  see my comment, this thread top of  page 2  comment #  41 in a answer to  another quoted comment  

Titled in BLUE 

In the eight one-and-done games in particular and what i wrote and linked articles to after 

But as i note at comments end 

But this has been rehashed to much already ( & u have a right to your opinion )

Have a good night and weekend , I am off 

Barry

In the eight one-and-done games in particular

The staggering number of drops (over 30 in the equivalent of half a season) and tipped-ball interceptions do QB numbers little justice. One loss was by 41 points (( early in carer to jjets )), and the other seven by 26 points combined.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When your defense allows a fourth-quarter comeback 60 percent of the time (6-4), you have a real problem. It is one thing to let Drew Brees do it, but when it's Jay Fiedler, Billy Volek, Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco? That is completely unacceptable.

Manning's had a lead in the final 0:40 of the fourth quarter and lost four playoff games.

The only four times Manning's teams have held off comeback attempts, they led to three straight wins and a Super Bowl in 2006, and a Super Bowl appearance in 2009 after holding off the Jets.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/7/23/4548270/peyton-manning-physical-v-mental

FULL article 

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/peyton-mannings-9-11-playoff-record-is-call-for-help/20868/

But this has been rehashed to much already

It is great you backed your comment up with the links to show it. People seem to forget that all wins and loses happen as a team. No need to look any farther that Dan Marino. You can have the most talented QB around but without strong team play it really don't make a difference. The old saying about the QB gets too much credit for the wins and too much blame for the loses has held true. Peace.

I agree. People don't understand how much momentum can be changed by that dropped TD pass....then Stokely should have flattened that route out instead of falling up field....that is WR route running 101...but he couldn't get separation so he was trying to create it....but all it did was cause an int. Clark played hard but had that very bad drop but Stokely....he just looked old and slow.  Then again in third on that first drive that should have been a punt for Denver. Suddenly you are up 7 or perhaps 14 if Stokely runs his route right and perhaps DO run the ball. Flacco was forced to throw late and had no one to throw to late..he wasn't set up to succeed and thus looked poor. He will still be a top 10 qb...but just one with a bottom 10 quality receiving core. Don't be surprised if we see Newsome make a move in a few weeks for a wr...but if he doesn't...QUOTE ME....Caldwell doesn't make it through the season!

Eli's first four years in the league are comparable to Mark Sanchez statistically. He had Coughlin on the hot season in 2007 AND 2011 before the magic carpet rides. Eli played with perhaps the best defensive front in football both seasons he won the bowl and benefited from an awful lot of luck both playoff runs - i.e. Tyree's catch, two muffed punts in SF, and Welker's drop. I was MUCH more impressed with what Flacco did last year with a middle of the road defense that was old and injured and an offense that was taken from Rice and given to him in the playoffs to lead which he did to historical measures with 11 TDs to 0 INTs.

In the end, I think both are slightly above average QBs but Flacco's numbers are better for his first five years compared to Eli and his playoff run was much more impressive.

I also really liked Flacco's performance in last years playoffs, but Eli has done it twice, with both completely different teams, neither particularly of high ranking either year, particularly in 2011.

The teams he won with just weren't that good, though they beat the league's best throughout the post-seasons.

But it's really tomato, tomahto regarding those two QBs.

As far as luck is concerned and pinpointing particular plays (incorrectly, one punt was stripped), that's a fallacious pursuit.  The fundamental aspect of the sport is team execution, and there so many variables at any even play that luck or a mistake or an unforced error occurs on a grand scale.  Focusing on more superficial examples and ignoring everything else is lazy and foolishly dismissive of the importance of every snap and the ability to capitalize when needed.

I'd contest that the only luck that was completely out of the Giants control in both their recent titles was not having to play the 2011 Saints.

I also really liked Flacco's performance in last years playoffs, but Eli has done it twice, with both completely different teams, neither particularly of high ranking either year, particularly in 2011.

The teams he won with just weren't that good, though they beat the league's best throughout the post-seasons.

But it's really tomato, tomahto regarding those two QBs.

As far as luck is concerned and pinpointing particular plays (incorrectly, one punt was stripped), that's a fallacious pursuit.  The fundamental aspect of the sport is team execution, and there so many variables at any even play that luck or a mistake or an unforced error occurs on a grand scale.  Focusing on more superficial examples and ignoring everything else is lazy and foolishly dismissive of the importance of every snap and the ability to capitalize when needed.

I'd contest that the only luck that was completely out of the Giants control in both their recent titles was not having to play the 2011 Saints.

That needs to be a sticky note.

(I am going to copy it and post it sometime (with your signature of course)

Listen to this guy folks-he knows the sport. 

Oh and BB does too - stats are for losers:)

PS- You can still take those SB lucks and shove it tho :> ;)

Manning went out there and played like it was a chess tournament finals. He had them thinking one thing while he was doing something very different on quite a few occasions.

I saw that. Pretty good stuff. Including a couple checkmates LOL.

I don't think Baltimore ever got past the Knight with him - :)

It is great you backed your comment up with the links to show it. People seem to forget that all wins and loses happen as a team. No need to look any farther that Dan Marino. You can have the most talented QB around but without strong team play it really don't make a difference. The old saying about the QB gets too much credit for the wins and too much blame for the loses has held true. Peace.

Thanks, Marino was one of the best, on a different team who knows how many times he would of won, we Colts  could have drafted him # 1 ahead of Elway based on his play & been quite happy , great draft year for QB's & many went before him I believe

u never know until they get on the field and actually play

You are right about the term trap game , but in this case the Ravens trapped themselves. They didn't want to get Manning in mid-season form, but forgot that their team was thrown together after losing so many players , and needed time to jell . Manning is not the kind of quarterback you want to start out against with a revamped defense. In the past , he torched some of the better Ravens defenses , much less this new incarnation.

I agree Flacco had a mediocre game , but as others have pointed out , the Ravens have big time wide receiver issues.

As far as the ravens playing in Denver for the first game , the game should have been played in Baltimore against another opponent. They should have played Wednesday , but the NFL would have none of it. The Orioles couldn't have played Thursday at 1pm and the Ravens later, because the Orioles would not have gotten in from the road trip from Cleveland until 3 am that morning.

I think Harbaugh may have out thought himself in picking the first game at Denver. People forget Denver crushed the Ravens last year in Baltimore before the playoffs. This Ravens team isn't last years, and after Thursday nights game , it is hard to predict how the ravens will do this year.

How satisfying this was to see Flacco get slapped in the face with a dose of reality. I don't know if Flacco is still the highest paid QB in the league, but regardless, he's both overpaid and overrated. For years he's been hiding behind what was a stellar defense, a leader in Ray Lewis, the deep WR chuck-and-pray option to Anquan Bolden, the head coaching staff, and Ray Rice. Now Lewis is gone, Bolden is gone, the defense lost a lot of other pieces, and where is the leadership? Can this guy not get his team together and at least try to pump them up? I'm not asking for a Ray Lewis speech, but come on. He looks half asleep out there.

True top-tier QB's make everyone else around them better. Where is that in Flacco? Try being in Peyton's shoes, play with Jim Caldwell, and take your team to a Superbowl.

It's one game..

Against a pretty good defense.. It happens..

Who else are the Ravens going to get at quarterback. Like I said , he is not up to Manning or Brady's level , but he is a winning quarterback with a winning organization , and you have to pay for a good quarterback. Maybe he got too much money , but the guy gambled on himself , and won. Maybe biscotti and Newsome lost this negotiation, but I am sure they will trade some dollars for a Super Bowl win.

How satisfying this was to see Flacco get slapped in the face with a dose of reality. I don't know if Flacco is still the highest paid QB in the league, but regardless, he's both overpaid and overrated. For years he's been hiding behind what was a stellar defense, a leader in Ray Lewis, the deep WR chuck-and-pray option to Anquan Bolden, the head coaching staff, and Ray Rice. Now Lewis is gone, Bolden is gone, the defense lost a lot of other pieces, and where is the leadership? Can this guy not get his team together and at least try to pump them up? I'm not asking for a Ray Lewis speech, but come on. He looks half asleep out there.

True top-tier QB's make everyone else around them better. Where is that in Flacco? Try being in Peyton's shoes, play with Jim Caldwell, and take your team to a Superbowl.

I hope Andrew Luck gets a good look at what a franchise QB really is when the Colts play the Broncos. I agree with you about Flacco.

no worries, he will get banned again soon

I would hope not. I am polite to everyone and I try to give good reasoning for my views. You see, I can read posts that I do not agree with and I hold nothing against that poster. I understand fandom and how it works. I get caught up in it too.

Apparently you missed all the playoffs last year.