Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Loyal Of A Colts Fan Are You?

jackbutton96

So, if the Colts were to up and leave Indianapolis in the near future (within the next few years), would you continue to be a Colts fan?

Yes. Just as I have been for forty years beginning when they were in Baltimore. I am a fan of the team and can't ever see myself changing loyalties.

Yes. Just as I have been for forty years beginning when they were in Baltimore. I am a fan of the team and can't ever see myself changing loyalties.

I'm in the same boat. My allegiance has nothing to do with Indy or Balitimore for that matter. In the event that they did leave Indy ( and if we have a loosing period at all like we did through most of the 80's and 90's I have my doubts as to whether or not Indy will suport them) then I would hope they would do it in a classier way than they left Balitimore.

I would still support, how much would be the question. I would look at oit as "we had them for a while, they brought excitement, a championship, among other things to this city" & I won't forget that. I would continue to wtach the NFL & just spread my support around to my picked players as opposed to teams. If they were to leave & hopefully that won't happen.

• 6 months later...

I find the Colts' early NFL days quite interesting. Here's an article I found at ProFootballFolklore.

The Baltimore Colts under franchise owner Abraham Watner make their professional football debut in the All American Football Conference (AAFC) in 1947 after a failed start on the prior season. Under head coach and former Green Bay stalwart Cecil Isbell, the Colts play miserable football except for the 1948 season, where the club posts a 7-7 record, finishes atop the AAFC East in a knot with the Buffalo Bills, yet loses to the latter by a score of 28-17 in a divisional round playoff. After starting out the 1949 season at 0-4, Baltimore hands Isbell his hat, appoints Walter Driskill as its head coach and GM, and rides out a horrific campaign at 1-11 despite impressive play from second year quarterback Y.A. Tittle and rookie running back Billy Stone.

The City of Baltimore offers lukewarm support to the Colts during its AAFC tenure, and franchise owner Watner prepares to throw in the towel after the 1949 season before NFL Washington owner George P. Marshall puts himself into play in December. Eager for a Southern based rival, Marshall approaches Colts' GM Driskill and offers to use his influence to include Baltimore in the ongoing NFL-AAFC merger discussions if the Colts agree to pay the Redskins a territorial rights fee. AAFC president Oliver Kessing blows his top after learning of Marshall's enticement, given that the standing NFL merger proposal only includes Cleveland and San Francisco, a position light years distant from the AAFC plan for the NFL to adopt all eight of its franchises. NFL commissioner Bert Bell, who in turn wishes to stamp the AAFC out of existence, also expresses his firm objections to Marshall's idea. Marshall's proposal nonetheless gains enormous momentum after Baltimore mayor Thomas D'Alesandro II (father of current House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco) swiftly recognizes the economic and political virtues of an NFL franchise in his city and joins the cause, but not before shrewdly negotiating the territorial rights fee down to $150,000 payable over three years. Against Bell's wishes, the NFL ownership accepts Marshall's plan and the Baltimore Colts (club colors green, white, and grey) make plans for regular season play in 1950.

Under new head coach Clem Crowe, quarterback Y.A. Tittle, and running back Chet Mutryn, Baltimore loses its first six games (70-27 loss to the Rams on October 22) before hosting the Packers on November 5. Trailing 21-14 in the final period, the Colts explode for four scores, including three on pass interception returns, for a dramatic victory as unheralded running back Jim Spavital rushes for 176 yards and three crosses on the afternoon. Despite the hollow victory over 2-4 Green Bay, the city of Baltimore rejoices over a comeback win that solidifies the club's swiftly building fan base. The hopeful Colts take a lark and sign CFL passing star Frank Filchock, suddenly available after Bell lifts the lifetime ban on the quarterback for his involvement in a sordid 1946 fixing scandal, yet hapless Baltimore loses its final five games and finishes at 1-11.

Despite building a steady fan base of 15,000 at Memorial Stadium in its first NFL season of 1950, an impressive achievement by most standards, Baltimore franchise owner Watner, swimming amidst $760,000 of losses incurred since 1947, again tosses in his chips, yet receives a one-year stay from the NFL to either reorganize his operations or sell the club. After the NFL redistributes the Baltimore players to other clubs in early 1951, Redskins' owner Marshall again steps in to save his regional revival, yet league commissioner Bell, unwilling to amuse the Redskins any longer, waves off Marshall and sets new terms. Bell gives Baltimore and Watner until June 1951 to clear its debts, present new shareholders for approval, and post $200,000 in the NFL piggy bank. Unable to meet the draconian terms, all hope for the Colts' franchise seemingly fades as the calendar turns over to 1952.

Baltimore catches a much needed break in late 1952 when the NFL Dallas Texans, an underfunded and perilous venture from the start, fails and requires custodianship from the NFL. Despite the fact that abandoning Dallas would leave the league with only eleven teams, the ownership votes against subsidizing the Texans for the 1953 season. Desperate to maintain a twelve club loop, Bell again meets with Watner and D'Alesandro in December 1952 and offers to resuscitate the Baltimore franchise if Watner puts together a new ownership consortium and Colts' fans purchase 15,000 season tickets by January 15, 1953. In exchange for Baltimore meeting his terms, Bell promises to redirect the Dallas Texans' assets to the new Colts franchise and award the new club with the first round pick in the 1953 player draft.

With D'Alesandro leading the charge, NFL fever consumes the city of Baltimore as fans eagerly snap up season tickets and meet Bell's unreasonable demand well before the forty-five day deadline. D'Alesandro also orchestrates the transfer of Colts' ownership in January 1953 from Watner to a new consortium led by overalls magnate Carroll Rosenbloom. Switching its team colors to blue and white in 1953, Baltimore returns to active play for the first time since 1950 in the West Division behind head coach Keith Molesworth, running backs George Taliaferro and Buddy Young, and rookie defensive back Don Shula. A notable highlight takes place on September 27, 1953 when Bert Rechichar, on his first ever career field goal attempt, drills a league record 56 yard split against the Bears.

Despite posting a 3-9 record in 1953, the Colts easily fill compact Memorial Stadium (28,000) with local demand that far exceeds its capacity. In the brief span of one season, NFL Baltimore becomes a regional phenomenon that only swells after the on field emergence of late round selections Raymond Berry (1954) and John Unitas (1955) in future seasons. Unitas leads the Colts into the national spotlight after championship seasons in 1958-59 as Baltimore rises as the proverbial phoenix from the flaming wreckage of its AAFC legacy over a brief eight year span.

What if they left and another team moved in and became the new Colts?

This makes the situation very different. I grew up in Maryland with the Colts still there. I was the only Colts fan surrounded by Redskins fans, as I lived much closer to DC than Baltimore. That said, I understood why they left, the players and uni's remained the same, and I remained a fan.

Did Browns fans become Ravens fans? If the Colts became the LA DirtyNeedles, or whatever, and there were no Colts in the NFL, I have no idea what I'd do. I think I'd still root for the players I particulary liked, even in LA. But I have no conneciton to Indy, the state of Indiana, so if the Colts magically came back in name years later, I'm sure I wouldn't have the same feeling about them as I do now.

Lastly, with Santa Anita and Hollywood Park nearby, it wouldn't be totally bizarre to keep the Colts name in LA, for example. I mean, that's why they're the Colts in the first place - the Preakness and Pimlico.

Very true....I don't live in Indy and I never lived in Baltimore so I'd continue rooting for them.

I lived in Indy and currently live in Baltimore. Part of the pure joy of being a Colts fan is seeing how much my fandom upsets Ravens fans, many of whom were not even born or old enough to remember when the Colts were here.

I'm a Colts fan who loves the city of Indy, and still would be if they were to move.

Ill be honest and say NO. Players can leave any team ill still root for the team but once that team leaves. ill be rooting for the pats LOL just kidding about the pats. Ill more in likely be a lions fan being that im originally from Toledo aka mini detroit

being that ima colts fan in Houston. Colts changing cities is not going to stop me from representing my Colts with all the Texans fans down here.I stay arguing with Texans fans(including my dad) about football/AFC South

This makes the situation very different. I grew up in Maryland with the Colts still there. I was the only Colts fan surrounded by Redskins fans, as I lived much closer to DC than Baltimore. That said, I understood why they left, the players and uni's remained the same, and I remained a fan.

Did Browns fans become Ravens fans? If the Colts became the LA DirtyNeedles, or whatever, and there were no Colts in the NFL, I have no idea what I'd do. I think I'd still root for the players I particulary liked, even in LA. But I have no conneciton to Indy, the state of Indiana, so if the Colts magically came back in name years later, I'm sure I wouldn't have the same feeling about them as I do now.

Lastly, with Santa Anita and Hollywood Park nearby, it wouldn't be totally bizarre to keep the Colts name in LA, for example. I mean, that's why they're the Colts in the first place - the Preakness and Pimlico.

So Hoosier Park and Indiana Downs must be why they kept the name here... :)

I don't know what I'd do if they left. I've felt it is important to invest in the hometown team (18 year STH) expressly to keep it here, in good time and bad. I jumped ship from the Giants because Indy finally had its own team. That they represent my hometown is far more important to me than the players, the colors, or the logo.

Let's stop talking about this... I'm breaking out in hives just playing along with the crazy hypothetical...

It makes me laugh that billionaire owners want to hold citizens (very ones that they want to support them and their business to pay for a new stadium). It would be like Walmart saying the city will have to pay to build a new store and tax everyone and then you pay to shop their too. I hate that. You take care of your fan base by providing nice ammenities and a good product and you will have fans. They do this because they can get away with it but I never liked forcing taxpayers to fit the bill for it.

To answer the question is moot. They will be here for a long time but if they left I would cease supporting them. They are my hometown team and that is the reason I supported them but I have no moral objection to not if they did something to change that.

I went through this once when the LA Rams left for St Louis - I abandoned the team and became an Indianapolis Colts fan at the end of the 1994 season. I won't be going through it again and that aside, my affinity for the Colts organisation won't see me move on again. I am in too deep and love this football team.

Colts for life.

When a fan of a team, what are you an actual fan of?

Players? some follow Peyton for Broncs to be their new fave.

Owner? Jim could sell the team. Would you still be a fan?

Location? If a team moves to another stat do you change?

Uniforms? Do u just really like the color blue?

Name? Would u like the Inianapolis_____?

Are the colts still the Colts if players change?Are they if we change owners? Change Location? Change Unis? Change name? What actually changes the 'Team' to a different team?

So when it comes down to it, what about a team must change to not be a fan of the team?

All i know is, I am an Indianapolis Colts fan and will remain one. Outside of that, I dont know.

I am a Colts fan, period. When they moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis, it had no affect on me. I felt bad for the fans in Baltimore and saying Indianapolis Colts took a little getting used to. But for me, the Colts are bigger than a city, a player, or an owner. I will always be a Colts fan until the day I die.

I have been a Colts fan since 1963 have been through some very lean times & many more great times. 2 Super Bowl wins, some teams have not even been to a Super Bowl. I was working for Mayflower here in Tampa, Fl. when the Colts moved out from Baltimore. When they came to my desk & told me, to say the least I was stunned. For awhile I could not understand the reasons. Stepping back I could see the reasons. As far as staying a Colts fan..till I take my last breath. They have a great organization from top to bottom & they are dedicated to winning. The will be a couple of lean seaons..the result will be another era of winning Colts football.

Does it really matter how loyal a fan someone is? I have been there since 1972. There have been fans that endured longer some shorter. I really think some of these post should not make it to the board. We are all fans of equal measure and should never be compared.

The Colts are required to play all home games in the new stadium until 2034, and are forbidden from negotiating relocation. This was part of the commitment tied to the joint 1.8B Lucas OIl Stadium/Indiana Convention Center construction deal struck when the Colts came to town.

It's amazing how people continue to ignore this little nugget of information and keep bringing up the whole "what if the colts leave indy in a few yrs." talk. Even though it has been pointed out numerous times by numerous posters, they continue to ignore the facts.

Will they still be my favorite team? Yeah.

But I could see myself watching/following them less. There's something about the whole "close to home" feel that is what made them my team anyways. Most anyone who says, "I liked the team because of the talent!" is probably lying or kidding themselves. It's not a coincidence that %95 percent of the people who are Colts fans live in Indiana. We didn't all just happen to analyze the talent on the team and decide: "Hey, Yeah! I think this is the team I want to be my favorite!" No. It happened because you live in Indiana and they are the Indianapolis Colts. I can say I love the players, the staff, the big plays, or the overall feel of the organization, but I'm not gonna lie and say these are reasons why I came to like them in the first place. but they are reasons why I came to love them. I realize some people are exceptions and maybe your dad is a Bears fan, but you stayed up and watched an awesome Colts game or something, but otherwise c'mon, Man! lol