Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

News On Peyton

fthoodcoltsfan

The milestones include full fusion of the vertebrae, extensive range of motion in his neck and back, regeneration of the triceps nerve, and a return of his arm strength.

Given the likelihood that Manning had a titanium plate inserted to stabilize his vertebrae, the fact that the bones have had 4 weeks to heal, and the fact that doctors cleared him based on the most recent x-ray, it is fair to say he has achieved (or very nearly achieved) that first milestone.

I'm surprised that you quoted this without comment. Their conclusion is suspect at best.

I had this surgery, and it takes a YEAR for "full fusion of the vertebrae". It may be safe for a "normal" person to resume "normal" activities within a few weeks of surgery, but I highly doubt that any of his doctors will be actively encouraging him to subject himself to to being pile driven head first into the ground by 300+ pound linemen anytime in the next few months.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where I have real issue with Polian and Caldwell, this whole idea of him playing this season is just flat out stupid and can be stopped with 1 single action by those two men. I have defended both of them here through everything but this whole not putting Peyton on the IR is just stupid.

Holding the spot open isn't hurting anyone. It is a courtesy to Peyton, and an apple of optimism dangled in front of the entire organization, and as said earlier it is the only thing that will allow Peyton to practice when he reaches that stage of his rehab - and rehabbing Peyton is far more important than the possible benefit derived from another UFA guard or safety being dumped on the roster late in a losing season.

Are you suggesting that they are putting their personal goals above his health? That's WAY off base.

Holding the spot open isn't hurting anyone. It is a courtesy to Peyton, and an apple of optimism dangled in front of the entire organization, and as said earlier it is the only thing that will allow Peyton to practice when he reaches that stage of his rehab - and rehabbing Peyton is far more important than the possible benefit derived from another UFA guard or safety being dumped on the roster late in a losing season.

Are you suggesting that they are putting their personal goals above his health? That's WAY off base.

What I am saying is that it is stupid to keep him on the active roster this season. There is ZERO to be gained by doing so. You use up a roster spot for someone who is unable to compete, you limit your ability to field a full team and you leave yourself open to risking his life and career by even considering playing him this year. IR'ing him allows him to concentrate on getting ready for next season and not feel rushed. It tells your present QB whomever that is that this is HIS team for the full season. Again I like both Caldwell and Polian, but in this case both are doing a disservice to both the team and Peyton by not putting him on the IR NOW.

What I am saying is that it is stupid to keep him on the active roster this season. There is ZERO to be gained by doing so. You use up a roster spot for someone who is unable to compete, you limit your ability to field a full team and you leave yourself open to risking his life and career by even considering playing him this year. IR'ing him allows him to concentrate on getting ready for next season and not feel rushed. It tells your present QB whomever that is that this is HIS team for the full season. Again I like both Caldwell and Polian, but in this case both are doing a disservice to both the team and Peyton by not putting him on the IR NOW.

Understood, but you are ignoring the possibility that his practicing with the team may be a vital part of his rehab. Depriving him of that may be as damaging to this recovery as the lockout was to his last. And it's important for the FO to get as much information about his abilities as possible before next years draft.

I don't think for a second that anyone in the Colts front office expects him to play this year - particularly considering how bad it is going, and that Irsay told us as much. To me the extra roster spot is virtually meaningless in a season like this. If others get injured, IR them and replace them. NOTHING is more important that helping Peyton to recover as smoothly as possible. You are suggesting that keeping him on the roster hurts him, I'm suggesting that it helps him. We both want the same thing.

Belive me he cant be 100% as far as a HARD fusion is concerned for him to take a hit , that takes 6 months not 3 for a layman soft fusion, and u need longer to regenerate the nerve and then build up the muscle, Just let him practice, he said & archie said ,& thhis was previously posted that he knew when practiced with team in lockout he didnt have the velocity, Just let him practice with the team by keeping him off IR and he will know his body, once he gets back strength then he can work on timing

I only did ankle reconstruction back in the 1980's and dont know all newest neck technigues but thats my opinion

I respect your opinion on this because of your expertise and knowledge. I think the odds are stacked against Manning playing this season, and I think everyone knows that. But the doctors haven't said no yet. They will if they feel he cannot rehab in the next 13 weeks, which is obviously the most likely scenario. But they haven't made that determination. I'll wait for that, considering they are the ones who performed the operation, who have access to his xrays and other observations, and they can and will say whether he can be cleared to go this season. Until then, let's just hope we're not forced into sacrificing his roster spot. Even if we're 0-13, I'd still want him available for those last three games if he's medically cleared. His contract status will need to be addressed, and the best way to make a determination is to get him on the field.

"The good Lord is calling my plays and I'm not allowed to audible at this point, so I have to listen to the doctors."

Gotta love Peyton's sense of humor and positive outlook even given his present situation. :)

Personally, I think he should just take the year off to heal up completely but if he does come back this year at least it will give the front office a chance to evaluate him before having to make some big decisions next off-season. I still am not really expecting to see him this season but we will see.

This is where I have real issue with Polian and Caldwell, this whole idea of him playing this season is just flat out stupid and can be stopped with 1 single action by those two men. I have defended both of them here through everything but this whole not putting Peyton on the IR is just stupid.

its not stupid at all. Do you realize putting him on IR he can't practice all year. If he heals, he could throw to th receivers in practice, ect. IR is bad for Manning.

its not stupid at all. Do you realize putting him on IR he can't practice all year. If he heals, he could throw to th receivers in practice, ect. IR is bad for Manning.

That's a good point also. Maybe he wouldn't actually play, but he could still be cleared for non-contact practice, throw to receivers, etc. That helps everyone, and it's at least some evaluation as to his status before the season is over. That's pretty compelling.

The season isn't over yet, but by a long shot. We can (not will, but can) beat any team that doesn't have a high powered offense. by week 13 (before the pats game) i still think we got a shot at being 5-6. If that's so, then if peyton can come back for the patriots game we've got to make the playoffs b/c Peyton can win 5 straight. If peyton can play then he should because our season isn't over yet.

I agree people writing him off are crazy. You could see how badly he wanted to be out there when he was in the press box. Even if the Colts are 0-10 he will want to play and if he is healthy then good luck stopping him from taking the field.

I don't want him throwing till the season is over, I don't want to rush this. Let his body heal, let it have a chance to get heathly.

I agree people writing him off are crazy. You could see how badly he wanted to be out there when he was in the press box. Even if the Colts are 0-10 he will want to play and if he is healthy then good luck stopping him from taking the field.

That's why you IR him, you remove that chance. If he knows he can't play and practice then he can rest, heal and get better. I really can't believe how people are wanting to rush back Peyton especially with how sever his injury is...

I'm surprised that you quoted this without comment. Their conclusion is suspect at best.

I had this surgery, and it takes a YEAR for "full fusion of the vertebrae". It may be safe for a "normal" person to resume "normal" activities within a few weeks of surgery, but I highly doubt that any of his doctors will be actively encouraging him to subject himself to to being pile driven head first into the ground by 300+ pound linemen anytime in the next few months.

mac did u read the following i posted earlier than the above , this was my medical opinion

Belive me he cant be 100% as far as a HARD fusion is concerned for him to take a hit , that takes 6 months not 3 for a layman soft fusion, and u need longer to regenerate the nerve and then build up the muscle, Just let him practice, he said & archie said ,& thhis was previously posted that he knew when practiced with team in lockout he didnt have the velocity, Just let him practice with the team by keeping him off IR and he will know his body, once he gets back strength then he can work on timing

I only did ankle reconstruction back in the 1980's and dont know all newest neck technigues but thats my opinion

I respect your opinion on this because of your expertise and knowledge. I think the odds are stacked against Manning playing this season, and I think everyone knows that. But the doctors haven't said no yet. They will if they feel he cannot rehab in the next 13 weeks, which is obviously the most likely scenario. But they haven't made that determination. I'll wait for that, considering they are the ones who performed the operation, who have access to his xrays and other observations, and they can and will say whether he can be cleared to go this season. Until then, let's just hope we're not forced into sacrificing his roster spot. Even if we're 0-13, I'd still want him available for those last three games if he's medically cleared. His contract status will need to be addressed, and the best way to make a determination is to get him on the field.

we are all allowed opinions here, I have no problem with yours, I just present mine as I feel it contributes something,

as long as we all are civil all opinions are welcome

That's why you IR him, you remove that chance. If he knows he can't play and practice then he can rest, heal and get better. I really can't believe how people are wanting to rush back Peyton especially with how sever his injury is...

and do u realize how great he would feel , mentally elevated , if he can at least get some practice reps in, That positive attitude helps in further healing, keep him off IR and only let him practice if gets OK, s do not let him in a game situation

and do u realize how great he would feel , mentally elevated , if he can at least get some practice reps in, That positive attitude helps in further healing, keep him off IR and only let him practice if gets OK, s do not let him in a game situation

Do you really think that if he starts practicing and says he feels okay he won't play?

I think it is best for him to sit out the season and start anew next year. However, if he is 100% and cleared I don't think anyone can stop him. It seems like he wants to be out there more than anything.

Exactly. If the doctors clear him and he wants to play then he is Peyton freaking Manning - he can play if he wants to.

Exactly. If the doctors clear him and he wants to play then he is Peyton freaking Manning - he can play if he wants to.

He has to be medically cleared. Before that can happen, the fusion has to heal, which the doctors are monitoring via xray every 4 weeks, at least. He can't just say "I feel good, I'm playing," and that's that.

why would you want him to play? why risk it? are you thinking we might have a playoff spot? LOL

So we can see if he still can or heaven forbid we need to use our option to get out of his contract at the end of the year.

Look the Colts aren't going to rush him back or stick him out there when he could play but really probably needs a couple of extra weeks. They are going to beyond careful about this. If the doctors say he can go and he can go they are going to play him if for no other reason than to see if he still can. Also this is Peyton Manning we are talking about, if he can play and he isn't on IR you really think anyone is going to tell him he can't play? The dude wont even share practice snaps when he's healthy. Not being alloud to play when he's healthy isn't going to happen.

They aren't going to IR him to "tank" the season either. The people running the Colts front office aren't going to buy into that because if they lose there is no promise they will still have their jobs after it. The players aren't going to buy into it either. Think about it would you stink at your job so the company you are working for can go get a better worker to take your job? NFL players are the same way.

As for us as fans we might as well enjoy it if he does play. It's not like him missing a full year is going to give us an extra year of Manning or something. It's just one less year we get to see Peyton play.

As for us as fans we might as well enjoy it if he does play. It's not like him missing a full year is going to give us an extra year of Manning or something. It's just one less year we get to see Peyton play.

It has been my hope that a year off might prolong his career. At his age, a year of chuckin a pigskin is quite taxing on his aged arm. IF he heals well, maybe we can squeeze an extra year or two out of him, signed on extension.

I know, wishful thinking, but wishes are all I can offer at this point.

He has to be medically cleared. Before that can happen, the fusion has to heal, which the doctors are monitoring via xray every 4 weeks, at least. He can't just say "I feel good, I'm playing," and that's that.

You must have missed the bit where I said "If the doctors clear him ...".

This is a multi-million dollar machine folks - if it doesnt pass physicals and multiple doctors inspections eg if its not ready to function as designed - it wont come out to play they wont let it happen! IF it does pass the physicals and the doctors say the multi-million dollar machine is ready to go this year - then so be it! Either way its totally out of our control so lets not worry about it ;)

I wouldn't read too much into that. The big guy in the white shirt (defensive line coach, John Teerlinck) below is also medically cleared to sit on the sidelines. I wouldn't consider that an accurate testimony as to his actual health :sadno:.

immersive.jpg

It is simply unacceptable that nobody congratulated the genius who posted this photo. Very nice... and depressing at the same time.

So we can see if he still can or heaven forbid we need to use our option to get out of his contract at the end of the year.

that's what practice is for. dont defend him going out on the field in an actual game. that is russian roulet and you know it.

i cant read this thread anymore, its making me too upset knowing that some people actually want to see him play this year. how DARE you guys? as much as some of you think of him as a commodity, he is a man and more importantly, a father. i dont want to see his career end and him wheeling around like Christopher Reeve because his competitive spirit doesn't want an 0-16 season. pretty sure his wife doesn't want that either.

that's what practice is for. dont defend him going out on the field in a game. that is garbage and you know it.

No it's not, I gave you the reasons for it which you just happened to leave out when you responded to my post beyond one sentance. If you don't agree with it that's fine that's your right but it's far from garbage and who are you to tell me not to defend something I happen to believe in just because you disagree with it?

fine. buts its also my opinion you are being way to cavalier when it comes to this SEVERE injury and rehab. but this is all moot: next to zero chance doctors will clear him to get his neck crushed into the ground by 300 pound defensive tackles 3 months after spinal surgery. thank GOD

fine. buts its also my opinion you are being way to cavalier when it comes to this SEVERE injury and rehab. but this is all moot: next to zero chance doctors will clear him to get his neck crushed into the ground by 300 pound defensive tackles 3 months after spinal surgery. thank GOD

How am I beinb cavalier? I am not saying throw him out there now or any time soon. I am saying when the doctors say he can play he can play. If that happens to be this year so be it. If it's next year then it's next year. It's not like people are calling for him to rush back or come back when he's boardline if he can play or not. People are saying if he heals and is healthy and he can play then let him play. No one knows when that will be, there is a chance, no matter how small it might be, that it could happen this season. More than likely it will be next year but if not and we can keep him off IR why keep him on the bench if he is 100% healthy short of tanking a season which the Colts aren't going to do.

that's what practice is for. dont defend him going out on the field in an actual game. that is russian roulet and you know it.

i cant read this thread anymore, its making me too upset knowing that some people actually want to see him play this year. how DARE you guys? as much as some of you think of him as a commodity, he is a man and more importantly, a father. i dont want to see his career end and him wheeling around like Christopher Reeve because his competitive spirit doesn't want an 0-16 season. pretty sure his wife doesn't want that either.

I don't want him to play until he's healthy. I'm willing to let the doctors decide when that is, rather than make the determination myself from in front of my computer screen.

Peyton is going to play this year!!! And please dont say we arent going to the playoffs because weve just made a huge stride on offense with a confident Curtis Painter! Seriously we could lose 2 more games and still make the playoffs!! Were going to beat them Chiefs and were going to make the Bengals do what they do best!! LOSE!!

Do you really think that if he starts practicing and says he feels okay he won't play?

Knowing Peyton he probably would if Drs clear him, just saying in my humble opinion he shouldnt, anyway its really way to early to speculate, lets wait and see how things develop, All opinions here are opinions and all are allowed , lets just be civil & for most part we all are , & I taj ke no offense with what u say at all

BTW yes its 4 weeks from surgery and article i posted in thread said that means healed or near so as g far as the fusion.

However bone usually takes 6 weeks to heal over a fracture , which is basically what each side of the fusion is, a medically induced fracture. THEN AGAIN their are techniques that can be used to hasten healing so he may have used them, the fact that there is strong internal fixation which i assume was applied correctly means that even if not fully healed over that gives an extra measure of security

I do know one thing , , just a tiny millimeter of movement across a fracture site during healing produces a different type of bone healing, Proper fixation delivers primary bone healing while that touch of movement if not securely fixated across the fracture site then cause what known as healing by secondary intention, takes longer for the fracture to heal and would require bone to remodel itself afterwards ( sorry thats hard to explain here ) and would be evident on xray, I assume therefore he is healing the better way or Drs wouldn't let him on the field

Stil hope he has a wall of protection ready encase someone is coming out of bounds towards him