Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Colts draft for 2012 (NO ANDREW LUCK)

Nope, this is not a "Draft Andrew Luck" thread, im sick and tired of those. Anyway, i am still not sold on a losing season. Ill believe it when i see it. Ok, so lets say the Colts pick in the top 10, im gunna say we get pick #7 (Idk what record we would finish with to get that). With the obvious improvement at the LT position with AC, why not go out and grab another T? In my mind, the BEST possible move going forward is building our O and D lines. We could trade out of the 10's into the early or late 20's and grab a solid T or G there, and in the second round we draft a DT or another O-linemen (Or the same thing in reverse, DT in first round). Come on guys, use your head, what good is a Quarterback (referring to luck or manning) if your O-line plays like the Pittsburgh Steelers O-line. With a healthy Peyton, and a much bigger, more talented O-line. What stops us from reaching the SB?

Manning def. has 4 or 5 years left in him, so why draft a QB when you team CLEARLY has other needs. No point in spending a first round pick on a guy who is going to sit for that many years. Go sure up the Defense the O-line, go win Peyton another MVP and SB, and have him go down as the best QB to play the game. Worry about the QB when Peyton calls it quits.

@Exodus- I have many posts on here about how the Colts should trade back no matter what, we can all only hope if they trade back its from the first pick so we get the most compensation available to help build this team. I have been saying to take a Matt Kalil with the first pick, move Castonzo to RT and Ijalana to Guard, but this was viewed as radical because Polian says Ijalana is a Right Tackle, so that must be all he can be? In my post “Colts are in Trouble” I said at the end this team needs to rebuild and it starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball, even though there is need for a corner, you build inside out, not outside in. that’s why trading back would allow for a Kalil and Kerpatrick possible selections in the first round!

@Jason- We both know you like talking about the draft! Maybe Exodus hasn’t been on here in a while since all those threads are at least on pages further back! Besides what better to talk about than next year with what the draft could bring and the possibility of a new head coach, these seem like the two hot topics. Besides you offer up a lot of knowledge on the draft anyway, so just share some more on here with Exodus. :)

ok, I totally agree with the trade-back but seriously....there are already probably 5-10 threads about this. There's even a "don't talk about Luck" draft thread.

+1 for that Jason. For God's sake, I understand the thinking of trading down if that is somebody else's opinion, but WHY couldn't this have been brought up in the other threads stating the exact very same thing?

Gosh people, im not a forum troll. Im rarely on and im just posting a thought i had today. If your tired of draft post, don't read them.

I really enjoy getting feedback from people, so if you just want to complain about 50 threads like this, don't post. Im not going to look through 1000+ threads just so i wont "re-post" a similar topic

But please, do give your thought about the Colts draft

Gosh people, im not a forum troll. Im rarely on and im just posting a thought i had today. If your tired of draft post, don't read them.

I really enjoy getting feedback from people, so if you just want to complain about 50 threads like this, don't post. Im not going to look through 1000+ threads just so i wont "re-post" a similar topic

no one said you have to read through 50 threads or 1000 posts...but c'mon...there are 3 other draft threads on the first page alone. ;)

I don't have a problem with the draft threads, What I do get aggravated with, is people wanting to talk about the draft but don't want to hear about Luck because they are so convinced that Manning will play another 4, 5, 10 yrs :) . The simple fact is, we have no idea if Manning will even play next yr. let alone 5 yrs. down the road. He's getting pretty darn old for an NFL QB and very very few ever last till the age of 40 and even when they do most of them have lost much of their ability. I have stated many times that IMO if the Colts had the 1st pick it would be ludicrous to not take Luck and secure the QB situation for yrs. to come. If they get the 2nd pick or lower then I am all for trading down and getting as many picks as possible.

The upcoming draft will come down to Luck no matter how you want to ignore it. IF Luck is on the board when it's the Colts turn to draft whereever that might be, they will, no they must take Luck. It is time for folks here in Indy wake up to where this franchise is and where it needs to go. This idea that with it's present construction with an aging Peyton can take it to another Superbowl is laugeable. We had our run with Peyton, and as like with SF and GB the sooner we begin to move forward with a new plan and begin grooming our next QB the better.

I am really laughing right now. People are complaining about all of the draft threads on this forum and not wanting to read through thousands of posts to find things. Well, there are 47 pages of threads on this forum and only 2 on the NFL Draft Forum. There is a reason for organization and if we put threads where they belong, it is a lot easier to track ideas.

Luck of no Luck, the big issue for the Colts FO is the future of the organization and, in the short term (2-4 years) that depends entirely on the health of Manning. By the time the draft rolls around, Peyton's health situation will be clear and that will determine much of our draft strategy. If he is healthy and we hold the #1 pick, I can see us trading if for a bunch more picks. If not, we will take Luck.

On the draft and trading, the new CBA will result in teams being much more willing to trade up because they have a clear picture of the cost and know that it will not bankrupt the cap. Because Luck is so highly rated at this point, quarterback needy teams will be much more willing to give up choices to acquire his rights.

But, for those of you who think we can get 2 first round choices in the 2012 draft, I don't see that happening. Only Cleveland and New England that I know of have two first round choices to trade and I don't believe either of them is needing a quarterback badly enough to give up both choices for Luck. But, I reserve the right to be wrong on everything!

But, for those of you who think we can get 2 first round choices in the 2012 draft, I don't see that happening. Only Cleveland and New England that I know of have two first round choices to trade and I don't believe either of them is needing a quarterback badly enough to give up both choices for Luck. But, I reserve the right to be wrong on everything!

True, the Browns could very well be happy and set with McCoy. However, they may very well be interested in and willing to package those picks to get McCoy an elite target like Alshon Jeffrey, an elite OT like Matt Kalil to put on the other side of Jake Long (no idea how they feel about Tony Pashos), or perhaps an elite DE like Quinton Coples is projected to be. So yeah, I don't necessarily think they'd move up for Luck but I do think they'd at least consider for one of these other players. Still probably a bit of a long-shot but you never know. :)

The upcoming draft will come down to Luck no matter how you want to ignore it. IF Luck is on the board when it's the Colts turn to draft whereever that might be, they will, no they must take Luck. It is time for folks here in Indy wake up to where this franchise is and where it needs to go. This idea that with it's present construction with an aging Peyton can take it to another Superbowl is laugeable. We had our run with Peyton, and as like with SF and GB the sooner we begin to move forward with a new plan and begin grooming our next QB the better.

I agree it will come down to Luck, but I disagree entirely that "they will, no they must take Luck". If we need a QB to start right away or even after only 1 year, then I agree it's more likely they would take Luck. However if what you want is a QB to groom (the majority of praise round Luck is that he's NFL ready now, and therefore no need to "groom" him) then you don't have to use the #1 overall pick. Neither Steve Young nor Aaron Rodgers (whom you brought up in comparison) were #1 overall picks.

Could somebody come up with a draft that involves Luck as our #1 pick(preferably someone who supports the SUCK FOR LUCK thing) and then with the rest of our picks use them on defense(preferably) or do whatever you want to do. Just so I can kind of see what/how drafting Luck and then drafting defensive players would work out.

Could somebody come up with a draft that involves Luck as our #1 pick(preferably someone who supports the SUCK FOR LUCK thing) and then with the rest of our picks use them on defense(preferably) or do whatever you want to do. Just so I can kind of see what/how drafting Luck and then drafting defensive players would work out.

scroll to the bottom

me either :)

I know. I saw your rant on Why Are Fans Scared Of The Idea Of The Colts Drafting Luck and I'm with right there with you. Either way we are going to have bumps along the road so why not sure up our defense and not put so much pressure on our new quarterback or have to make our new young quarterback have to pull a win out like Manning does also giving Manning the chance to win more Lombardi's.

Edited by AustinCollie17