Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caesar Rayford Traded

Psyren

It's ironic Dallas was the suitor in this trade (4-3 Tampa 2 defense) One can only wonder what we could've got for Nevis from them... Had we actually kept him on the roster long enough to trade him. Maybe we could've packaged both players for a higher pick?

how do you know they didn't try to trade him and didn't have any bites?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ironic Dallas was the suitor in this trade (4-3 Tampa 2 defense) One can only wonder what we could've got for Nevis from them... Had we actually kept him on the roster long enough to trade him. Maybe we could've packaged both players for a higher pick?

Rayford might make a nice rush end in a 4/3 hate to see him go was looking forward to seeing him play. oh well??

Im thinking this isnt the last trade to be made this year. I like all his movement looking to get better players.

Unless he's making moves to make the Oline better, I'm kinda hoping something happens to his cell phone.

I like the team Grigs has helped build but let's give these players a real chance before trading for a unknown draft picks.

Jmo but Rayford was never a real fit for this team. After watching the last preseason game it seemed obvious he was a DE trying to play LB. He did not seem to have foot speed chasing plays downfield but he had a good pass rush as a DE. He may be a better fit for the Cowboys. Johnson is really quick and had a year on SF's team to learn OLB. Johnson should also be better running down on kickoffs.

Unless he's making moves to make the Oline better, I'm kinda hoping something happens to his cell phone.

I like the team Grigs has helped build but let's give these players a real chance before trading for a unknown draft picks.

Our answers to oline trouble are on the roster, but injuries cut their auditions short and they're rookies

I liked Rayford , but outside of pass rushing he was very awkward looking out there. Really bad in space.  Most of his sacks came against backups or guys who were cut as well.  I would have liked to have seen him get some time against starters but it never happened.

Strongly agree, he's a one trick pony right  now. Looks very awkard/lurchy in space. Wish him the best in Dallas though.

@KBowenColts: The Colts have signed tight end Dominique Jones to the 53-man active roster. TE-Justice Cunningham has been signed to the practice squad

Ok, I see what they're doing here but has me a little worried about Allen's and Fleener's health. As in they must be worried about Fleener and Allen's health.

Just a Cowboys fan. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on Caesar. Hopefully he'll be a good player in Dallas (pretty sure he'll play DE, where we have DL problems).

What did you think of him during his time as a Colt?

Rayford is a little awkward but has good pass rush skills! I believe his wing span, very long arms enables him to be a good pass rusher. He kicked butt in camp & pre season. enjoy him.

Just a Cowboys fan. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on Caesar. Hopefully he'll be a good player in Dallas (pretty sure he'll play DE, where we have DL problems).

What did you think of him during his time as a Colt?

He was popular on these boards and a lot of people liked him.  I think you're right in that he's more of a DE than an OLB.  I wouldn't expect a top talent DE or anything like that, but he will be a good backup and is a decent pass rusher.  If nothing else, you've got a guy who was, by most accounts a hard worker.

Ok, I see what they're doing here but has me a little worried about Allen's and Fleener's health. As in they must be worried about Fleener and Allen's health.

I think it's more they have to be deep at TE for the offense they want to run.

I am perfectly fine with this trade. It is the equivalent of  a 3-way trade NBA style, well, sort of. The net transaction is Cam Johnson for Caesar Rayford with 7th round picks acting as facilitators of the trade.

As for Caesar Rayford I was not excited as much as other fans. Yes, he could pass rush mainly because of his length, although he didn't have any special moves other than bullrush or simply going around the tackle and grabbing the QB with his long hands.  

The problem was that he was a liability against any type of football situations that required him to drop back and play linebacker, also against the run. He is not even that fast. I admit that I liked him a little more before that 4th preseason game in which the coaches left him on the field the whole game and put him in all kinds of situations and he was a complete letdown. However, I would say that if he makes it in the NFL his best chance would be as a 4-3 DE, as a pure pass rusher, similar to D Freeney.

In conclusion, Colts have gained a linebacker in Cam Johnson that can do what his position entails (we'll see how well)  and gave a way a DE that Dallas can make better use of. 

I trust Grigson knows what he is doing, however Caesar Rayford was a guy I was really looking forward to see play. I must say I'm very dissapointed right now. He played his butt off in the preseason and earned a spot on this roster only to get traded away? I just don't get it.

Grisgson is like a chess master moving his pieces around. I did not think K Williams would last to make it to PS but Grigson took the chance and won. He has moved D Jones and J Cunningham around to get Doyle and Johnson on the team. I still hate it though that Nevis, Ijalana, and Guy had to be sacrificed. Looking forward to watching Adongo, McNary, and Rogers develop.

I trust Grigson knows what he is doing, however Caesar Rayford was a guy I was really looking forward to see play. I must say I'm very dissapointed right now. He played his butt off in the preseason and earned a spot on this roster only to get traded away? I just don't get it.

He thinks Cam Johnson is a better player

I get it, now. They need more TEs in this offense and Fleener/Allen have already been injured this preseason, although not seriously injured. Traded Rayford for a draft pick gives Grigs room to backup the TE position. They kept Johnson instead of Rayford because he's more versatile as a 3-4 OLB.

Even with this knowledge, I still kinda agree with you. It seemed he earned a spot here, while with Johnson it was kinda handed to him.

Its probably the better move but...yeah.