Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caesar Rayford Traded

Psyren

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if he stinks so bad then why did he play so good against the pass and the run if he can do that against backups then he can do it against starters.

You guys  I don't think would know talent even if  it was standing right in front of your faces. I will laugh if he goes in plays all 16 games for the cowboys then moves on for a different team that runs 3-4 and suprises everybody then I will be laughing at all of you.

I don't know how I'll do it, but I think I can manage to sleep at night with the threat of you laughing at me hanging over my head....

Joking aside, he really wasn't good against the run and in coverage. Trust me I went over the Browns game again a few times. I'd like to hear how you extrapolate that because he can on trick pony rush against backups he would be able to do it against starters? I'd fancy my chances of being a elite pass rusher in Pop Werner football but that doesn't mean I'd be able to do the same against high school kids does it now (horrible analogy I know). 

Must...stop...replying..to...this..thread....soul...being...sucked.

Well A that wasn't a threat that was a promise and how does what I said make no sense you guys think everything I say makes no sense and most of the time you guys don't either.

lets see everyone thinks you don't make sense, and you think we dont make sense. That's an entire board full of people and you.. Yeah, I'm going with the overwhelming majority

Well A that wasn't a threat that was a promise and how does what I said make no sense you guys think everything I say makes no sense and most of the time you guys don't either. 

As another poster put, this isn't English class but it you don't convey your thoughts well in a written form then it can be hard to follow them sometimes. This is not meant as an insult just an observation.

Look stating your opinion is fine but you don't seem to have anything to back it up and you just ignore people who've tried to engage in debate with you about the merits of this trade. Points such as scheme fit etc. you gloss over with repetition of how good you thought he looked in preseason. I'll give you an example of what might give you more credence from your forum brethren. I think his pass rushing was exaggerated by who he was playing and it covered his actual lack of technique. I can back this up somewhat by how he was graded (a subjective process, but a useful metric) as our 5th(?) best pass rusher. So he's certainly not starter material and depending on you roster composition he's on the border of being cut already.

I'd also say that you're shall we say exuberance in denouncing this trade was never likely to garner a good response.  If you'd gone along the lines of don't agree, hope to be proved wrong etc. then I don't think we would be onto page 10 of this thread and if he went on to be a superstar in Dallas you could afford to be a good smug poster in being proven right. 

This is not meant a combative manner but I get frustrated when people think just aggressively stating their opinion lends it credibility. This is after all a "forum", traditionally the place of debate and conversation which is a skill that sadly seems to be vanishing from our society. 

:rantoff:

I think his pass rushing was exaggerated by who he was playing and it covered his actual lack of technique. I can back this up somewhat by how he was graded (a subjective process, but a useful metric) as our 5th(?) best pass rusher. So he's certainly not starter material and depending on you roster composition he's on the border of being cut already.

I really enjoyed your entire post. The above sums up perfectly what I think of Caesar Rayford. Especially the bolded.

I think Cam Johnson had a better preseason and he's a more natural fit for our defense IMO.  Trading Rayford for a conditional pick and then spending one for Cam Johnson makes this sort of a swap between the two players.  Looks like a fair trade to me, one marginal player with good pass rush potential for another.  

I really enjoyed your entire post. The above sums up perfectly what I think of Caesar Rayford. Especially the bolded.

You're too kind, I was routing for him believe me watching preseason but (unfortunatly IMO) there is little room for sentiment in sport. Still he's got to be a record setter for posts/views for a player who's never actually played a NFL down for us :) 

As another poster put, this isn't English class but it you don't convey your thoughts well in a written form then it can be hard to follow them sometimes. This is not meant as an insult just an observation.

Look stating your opinion is fine but you don't seem to have anything to back it up and you just ignore people who've tried to engage in debate with you about the merits of this trade. Points such as scheme fit etc. you gloss over with repetition of how good you thought he looked in preseason. I'll give you an example of what might give you more credence from your forum brethren. I think his pass rushing was exaggerated by who he was playing and it covered his actual lack of technique. I can back this up somewhat by how he was graded (a subjective process, but a useful metric) as our 5th(?) best pass rusher. So he's certainly not starter material and depending on you roster composition he's on the border of being cut already.

I'd also say that you're shall we say exuberance in denouncing this trade was never likely to garner a good response.  If you'd gone along the lines of don't agree, hope to be proved wrong etc. then I don't think we would be onto page 10 of this thread and if he went on to be a superstar in Dallas you could afford to be a good smug poster in being proven right. 

This is not meant a combative manner but I get frustrated when people think just aggressively stating their opinion lends it credibility. This is after all a "forum", traditionally the place of debate and conversation which is a skill that sadly seems to be vanishing from our society. 

:rantoff:

Well he could have learned behind one of the best pass rushers in the game in Mathis and would have been good depth too but too late now.

yea, he played half way decent for the Jags didn't he? not 100 percent on that however.

basically same story as Rayford...went undrafted, played in canada for a few years, got a tryout with the Colts, signed to practice squad, had a good preseason showing, a lot of fans deemed him the next big thing, he gets cut, those fans uproar about how the colts will seriously regret the decision to let him go, he has 2 underwhelming years with the Jags and is now back playing in Canada.

The same could easily happen to Rayford.  It's also likely, though far less likely, that maybe Rayford does become a productive pass rusher in the NFL.  Even if that happens, it still doesn't change the fact that Pagano and company quite obviously felt Rayford was a poor fit for the Colts defense and that Cam Johnson would be a much better match.

basically same story as Rayford...went undrafted, played in canada for a few years, got a tryout with the Colts, signed to practice squad, had a good preseason showing, a lot of fans deemed him the next big thing, he gets cut, those fans uproar about how the colts will seriously regret the decision to let him go, he has 2 underwhelming years with the Jags and is now back playing in Canada.

The same could easily happen to Rayford. It's also likely, though far less likely, that maybe Rayford does become a productive pass rusher in the NFL. Even if that happens, it still doesn't change the fact that Pagano and company quite obviously felt Rayford was a poor fit for the Colts defense and that Cam Johnson would be a much better match.

the hype just reminds me of the John Chick fan club

So, does DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer have to be worried about their starting jobs now?

Spencer's just coming back from a knee injury so it looks like Rayford's going to see some play time this weekend. If you think this thread is hysterical now, if he does anything against the Giants... It'll be WWIII in here. :popcorn:

IRVING, Texas -- All available defensive linemen will be active for the Dallas Cowboys for Sunday’s game against the New York Giants, regardless of position.

With Ben Bass looking at a month absence because of a dislocated left shoulder suffered in Thursday’s practice, the Cowboys have only one true backup defensive tackle in Landon Cohen behind Jason Hatcher and Nick Hayden. Caesar Rayford was playing outside linebacker for the Indianapolis Colts last week and defensive end on Wednesday, a day after the Cowboys got him in a trade.

“He’s got to be viable for us at some point in this ballgame,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Guys are going to have to play more, and some guys might have to play in a position they haven’t played as much as you’d like to have them play, but that’s just part of the deal.”

Anthony Spencer has not practiced since having knee surgery on July 25, but Garrett would not rule him out Friday morning.

“We’ll just see what he does out here today and over the next couple of days to see what his availability is,” Garrett said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4714344/all-hands-on-deck-for-cowboys-defensive-line

yeah I absolutely agree...that's why I said, basically the same story as Rayford...most importantly the fan overreaction at him being cut (well, traded in the case of Rayford) lol

Difference is I think Chick was like CFL defensive player of the year. What was Rayford? Here's my take. If you have 2 decent back ups which one would you pick 23>27.

You guys  I don't think would know talent even if  it was standing right in front of your faces. I will laugh if he goes in plays all 16 games for the cowboys then moves on for a different team that runs 3-4 and suprises everybody then I will be laughing at all of you.

...and what are you gonna do if/when he fails miserably and is bagging groceries next yr.? Are you going to come back and tell us all that we were right, you don't know talent at all, and will never throw another fit about the moves the Colts make ever again.

Spencer's just coming back from a knee injury so it looks like Rayford's going to see some play time this weekend. If you think this thread is hysterical now, if he does anything against the Giants... It'll be WWIII in here. :popcorn:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4714344/all-hands-on-deck-for-cowboys-defensive-line

Oh yeah... here we go...  smiley_with_3d_glasses.png

now he is in the CFL

figures.  I hate players that have a cup of coffee in the league but really only hacked it in the CFL, then turn around and tell everyone how they were this and that at the NFL level.  I think his main problem was that you could think of his name in two ways which were just not solid in NFL circles.  One equates him to being a female and the other equates him to being adolescent poultry.

Apparently, I was wrong about him not seeing the field very much.  Jason Garrett said this about Caesar Rayford playing this week against the Giants, "He has to be a viable player for us in this game."  I guess the Cowboys coaches (Garrett, Kiffin, and Marinelli) like him a lot more than I originally thought.  I should have guessed it though or else they wouldn't have made the trade to bring him in just before the regular season.

So, it looks like not only is he going to be active for this game... but he's going to be getting snaps throughout the game.  He apparently is going to get some snaps at DE and in nickel and dime packages, they might rush him from the DT spot in certain passing situations.  Both Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli think that Rayford has natural pass rush ability, including from inside.  His arms are so uncannily long (just about as long as Aldon Smith's) that it gives him a real advantage rushing the QB.

Both Kiffin and Marinelli are pretty good at finding defensive linemen, or more specifically pass rushers, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until Caesar proves that he can't do it.  Both coaches have a knack for finding good players on the line.

James Harrison wasn't drafted when he came out and was signed and cut 3 different times by the Steelers.  He even played some in NFL Europe for the Rhine Fire before finally sticking on Pittsburgh's 53 man roster and learning enough to get playing time when Clark Haggins got hurt.

Rayford certainly wouldn't be the first guy to take a round-about route to being a good NFL player.  Heck, Harrison was 27 before he became a starter for Pittsburgh.

Caesar probably won't end up doing that much in Dallas, but you never know.  If there is any system that he fits in, it would be this Tampa-2 system.

It should be interesting to watch and see what he does.  Some of the time, he will be going up against Justin Pugh (starting RT for the Giants), who Rayford has already gotten a sack against.