Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Practice Squad Signings/Roster Moves

cjwhiskers

I don't understand the signing of that nut case Rodgers to practice squad. My crystal ball tells me nothing good is going to come out of him.

Low risk, high reward. He's a physical specimen, and he was very productive in college. If not for drug violations, he'd have been at least a mid round draft pick. The talent and the ability are there. If he isn't 100% with the program, he'll be released from the practice squad. No signing bonus, no cap hit, no risk, really.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the signing of that nut case Rodgers to practice squad. My crystal ball tells me nothing good is going to come out of him.

We signed him because he is a very talented WR.

The rest is up to him...he will be given guidance coaching and mentoring.

If he screws up a couple of times he will be gone, probably out of the NFL.

We signed him because he is a very talented WR.

The rest is up to him...he will be given guidance coaching and mentoring.

If he screws up a couple of times he will be gone, probably out of the NFL.

I prolly wouldn't have taken the risk, but I agree that it's a minimal risk, and could pay off handsomely... possibly.

I don't need for you to write a book explaining anything to me. I have my own opinion and points of views. I can honestly say I don't care if you are resentful for my comments. You do not rule me or anyone else in here. This is a forum and we are all entitled to speak what we feel. If you don't care for my comments you have the freedom to ignore me. And you did insert yourself when my comment was not directed at you. I am sure that the person I was commenting to don't need you to stand up for them. Every time a subject comes up you dont agree with you write this long overblown mini novel that is boring.

It's also not your place to tell others how to post.  If you don't like how he posts just ignore it.  You don't have to read his responses if you think they are too long. Superman is just as entitled to his opinion and is allowed to express it just as you are.  Everything you are telling Superman to do you could easily do yourself when it comes to Superman.  This screams of everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as they agree with me.  If you don't like the way Superman posts just don't read them and move on just as you are telling him to do to you.  The difference you can control yourself you can't control how Superman responds so why try? 

It's also not your place to tell others how to post.  If you don't like how he posts just ignore it.  You don't have to read his responses if you think they are too long. Superman is just as entitled to his opinion and is allowed to express it just as you are.  Everything you are telling Superman to do you could easily do yourself when it comes to Superman.  This screams of everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as they agree with me.  If you don't like the way Superman posts just don't read them and move on just as you are telling him to do to you.  The difference you can control yourself you can't control how Superman responds so why try? 

Now is that exactly what you are doing?

Nevis is the steal of the entire draft. Chargers picked up a free starter. And HE WILL be a starter, mark my words on that one. He is a beast and has a REALLY good set of coaches in San Diego, especially the D-Coordinator !!! WOW, that kid is going to flourish under them !!! OK, so now I want to know when we play the Chargers and is it a home game? Nevis will brutalize us I guarantee. He may just be the difference in the game (which I will say will be VERY close all the way through). IF WE EVEN PLAY THEM, which I think we might since we play the RAIDERS.

Ok, so write it down, Nevis is the game changer in the upcoming game with them. I hate to see Grigson get embarrassed by that which he won't because he is not that type of guy.. But if Polian would have made that move I would have just laughed at him up in the booth as Nevis has his way with us. He will be sooooo Motivated to splatter us. Can you tell I'm still crying over this.

:hissy:

he will probably be on ir before we play them. Also, stop trying to compare afringe player at best to a game changing pass rusher.

I like this practice squads potential.   Over the years, it seems we always have fringe guys who never amount to anything.  At least some of the guys we have now have the potential to be really good.  Maybe they never will be.  But  would rather have guys on the PS who have potential to be really good then guys you pretty much know aren't going to be part of the team the next year.

Now is that exactly what you are doing?

No, you can post whatever you want.  I am also not the one who is upset about someone else responding to me.  You are free to respond to me or any other poster anyway you would like as long as it follows forum rules and even if it doesn't that's up to the mods to decide.

Low risk, high reward. He's a physical specimen, and he was very productive in college. If not for drug violations, he'd have been at least a mid round draft pick. The talent and the ability are there. If he isn't 100% with the program, he'll be released from the practice squad. No signing bonus, no cap hit, no risk, really.

I like that Grigson looks in every avenue for talent but "character" seems to be glossed over during his evaluation process. I don't think we should judge anyone, and everyone makes mistakes at times, but at the same time, I don't want this team to turn into a bunch of thugs and misfits. We've already had, what, 5 or 6 incidents this off-season? I'm hoping this string of trouble by our players is just an abarration but when you see him constantly picking up players with red flags attached to them, it does make one start to raise an eyebrow a little

I like that Grigson looks in every avenue for talent but "character" seems to be glossed over during his evaluation process. I don't think we should judge anyone, and everyone makes mistakes at times, but at the same time, I don't want this team to turn into a bunch of thugs and misfits. We've already had, what, 5 or 6 incidents this off-season? I'm hoping this string of trouble by our players is just an abarration but when you see him constantly picking up players with red flags attached to them, it does make one start to raise an eyebrow a little

We've had two banned substance / drug violation incidents this offseason, and arrests. Sometimes things get exaggerated. Some things are worse than others.

Out of those four players, by the way, only one had a previous history of trouble before joining the team, and that was low-level backup Weslye Saunders, who was released before camp started. I'm not sure we can indict Grigson's character evaluation process just because a couple of the nearly 100 guys he has brought in did something stupid. I certainly don't think the team is in any danger of turning into a bunch of thugs and misfits.

Edit: Grigson waived Boyett, which is a strong move, I think.

he will probably be on ir before we play them. Also, stop trying to compare afringe player at best to a game changing pass rusher.

really, a fringe player? He is only going to get better.  Coming out of college there were several negatives (as with any player), one being he had short arms, Well he seems to be able to overcome that but it will depend on his counter-parts and the scheme as well.

respectfully,

CF

really, a fringe player? He is only going to get better. Coming out of college there were several negatives (as with any player), one being he had short arms, Well he seems to be able to overcome that but it will depend on his counter-parts and the scheme as well.

respectfully,

CF

he will be a non factor in the game against us

We've had two banned substance / drug violation incidents this offseason, and arrests. Sometimes things get exaggerated. Some things are worse than others.

Out of those four players, by the way, only one had a previous history of trouble before joining the team, and that was low-level backup Weslye Saunders, who was released before camp started. I'm not sure we can indict Grigson's character evaluation process just because a couple of the nearly 100 guys he has brought in did something stupid. I certainly don't think the team is in any danger of turning into a bunch of thugs and misfits.

Edit: Grigson waived Boyett, which is a strong move, I think.

Howell made him expendable. The way he plays (for the record I believe he could be a very good player) I think a full 16 game season out of the guy would have been rare especially after both knees being operated on

really, a fringe player? He is only going to get better.  Coming out of college there were several negatives (as with any player), one being he had short arms, Well he seems to be able to overcome that but it will depend on his counter-parts and the scheme as well.

respectfully,

CF

You get all this from his 16 solo tackles in two years? May I borrow that glass ball you gaze into?

I don't think they are going to waive Sidbury.  They'll probably bring him back later in the season I bet.

He doesn't qualify to be brought back later this season. That designation is only available for players who were placed on IR after the regular season begins.

He doesn't qualify to be brought back later this season. That designation is only available for players who were placed on IR after the regular season begins.

Are you sure about that Superman?  I remember Angerer from last year, did they not place him on IR before the season and bring him back?  I certainly could be wrong.

Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3] Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.[4]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

I remember Sidbury being placed on the IR, but I don't remember him being waived or waived with any type of settlement so I'm unsure if he didn't make the final 53 or what happened.  I can certainly see why he wouldn't have made it, but it's not totally clear to me at this point.

Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3] Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.[4]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

I remember Sidbury being placed on the IR, but I don't remember him being waived or waived with any type of settlement so I'm unsure if he didn't make the final 53 or what happened.  I can certainly see why he wouldn't have made it, but it's not totally clear to me at this point.

Sidbury was not on the 53 man roster at the end of preseason so he is not eligible to be designated to be returned.  DW49 had a great post in another thread explaining it.  The colts could have reactivated Sidbury from the preseason IR (apparently - probably through injury waiving him and then resigning him...or something like that...I don't know the rules for preseason IR) and added him back to the active roster prior to the 4pm deadline on the 4th of Sept.  After that deadline had passed, they could then have placed Sidbury back on IR with the designation.  That didn't happen though so Sidbury is no longer eligible.  The returnable designation is only available for a player who was placed on IR after 4pm on Sept 4th.  

And as atapcl said, last year it was Seth Olsen that was placed on IR in early Oct. and was designated as being able to return.

All that said, I do kind of hope they keep him around and give him another 1 year contract for next year to see what he can do in our defense.