Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will We Ever Get A Two Gap Dt (A.k.a. Vince Wilfork/casey Hampton Type)?

GoGoColts

Oh, and to continue an argument I was having three years ago;

Two-Gap DT's aren't effective because they're fat. They're effective because they're strong and talented at what they do.

Fat does not equal good DT.

The "fat slob" was just for comedic effect. Obviously, if any fat slob would due then we would just get any random guy off the street who liked to hit up buffets. My point is that I think that we could do better with having a Vince Wilfork type or two on the roster. It seems like the team won't go after them. Now if we could get a Nagta or Darnell Dockett type that would be even better, but athletic nose tackles like that don't show up in every years draft.

Darnell Dockett would be an amazing DT acquisition, if I am not mistaken his contract is up this year too? He is great rushing the passer and anchoring in run support. But he would also come with a hefty price tag, but we can all dream!

If he played in the Colt's system, they might be talking about him as a future hall of famer.

Darnell Dockett would be an amazing DT acquisition, if I am not mistaken his contract is up this year too? He is great rushing the passer and anchoring in run support. But he would also come with a hefty price tag, but we can all dream!

Darnell Dockett is a three-tech tackle who could also play five-tech end in virtually any system. He's not a nose tackle, and he's certainly not what you're referring to as a 2-gap tackle in the mold of Hampton/Wilfork/Ngata. Not even close. He's basically what we hope Fili Moala and Drake Nevis can be. And I believe he's signed through 2014.

The reason you don't see the Colts with a big 0 or 1-tech tackle is because (a) those guys who combine size with skill and conditioning are dang hard to come across, and (b) because they are so rare, the going rate is $7-10 million a year. It's not because they wouldn't fit our system, or because our coaches and personnel people are against having them. It's because they are unique and expensive.

Darnell Dockett is a three-tech tackle who could also play five-tech end in virtually any system. He's not a nose tackle, and he's certainly not what you're referring to as a 2-gap tackle in the mold of Hampton/Wilfork/Ngata. Not even close. He's basically what we hope Fili Moala and Drake Nevis can be. And I believe he's signed through 2014.

The reason you don't see the Colts with a big 0 or 1-tech tackle is because (a) those guys who combine size with skill and conditioning are dang hard to come across, and (B) because they are so rare, the going rate is $7-10 million a year. It's not because they wouldn't fit our system, or because our coaches and personnel people are against having them. It's because they are unique and expensive.

Dockett can play nose. Nagta is athletic. He plays nose, but he also gets up the field a lot.

He's the d-line coach, I think Bav's point is that he likes the smaller pass rushing DTs too. If he didn't he wouldn't coach in a system that uses them.

I know he's the Dline coach, but i would think he would be able to teach any DT how to be a good DT... the colts have gotten bigger in the middle over the past few years. The problem is not the coach but the scheme.

Dockett can play nose. Nagta is athletic. He plays nose, but he also gets up the field a lot.

Are you disputing what was said? I ask because this isn't really a counter.

Dockett can play NT? Does he have an extensive list of notable accomplishments there? He plays where he's best suited.

Ngata is a rare breed, and that's why he costs the Ravens a massive chunk of money. There aren't guys like that readily available, and thats why the players can be counted with one hand.

Whether or not the Colts will isn't the right question. Those players just aren't available unless we plan on dumping Mathis, Freeney, etc., to free up the money. There is also no guarantee that such a player would want to be here, or pan out.

We will never get a big 350 lbs DT. That type of personell is not the colts mold. I personally would prefer a Wolfork type DT(you really cant find that) to be thrown in the mix especially on first and 2nd downs but I think our DT play has been descent for the most part before all the injuries. We have been looking for a disruptive DT for a long time and we finally found him in Drake Nevis. The combination of Nevis/Johnson has been good. But as I said before injuries took that away in the last game. Not in love with bringing up Matthews but due to not having alot of cap I understand the move. Moala is servicable. But from what ive seen of Nevis IMO he is better than Moala

Are you disputing what was said? I ask because this isn't really a counter.

Dockett can play NT? Does he have an extensive list of notable accomplishments there? He plays where he's best suited.

Ngata is a rare breed, and that's why he costs the Ravens a massive chunk of money. There aren't guys like that readily available, and thats why the players can be counted with one hand.

Whether or not the Colts will isn't the right question. Those players just aren't available unless we plan on dumping Mathis, Freeney, etc., to free up the money. There is also no guarantee that such a player would want to be here, or pan out.

Docket is like Richard Seymour in that he can play anywhere, but both play(ed) 3-4 end and would be NT in our system and not 3 techniques.

@Superman- Dockett has played the 3-4 NT and DE, someone above me mentioned his name and I said how amazing that would be to bring him here to our D line, since he rushes the passer and plays the run so well! I never said he would be our NT per say, just responded to someone mentioning his name, by saying how amazing I thought that would be to have him!

Docket is like Richard Seymour in that he can play anywhere, but both play(ed) 3-4 end and would be NT in our system and not 3 techniques.

I have to respectfully, but adamantly, disagree. Neither Dockett nor Seymour would play nose tackle in our one-gap system. Both would be three-tech tackles, because that's where they excel. Perhaps injuries might cause us to use a player like that at nose from time to time, but they aren't nose tackles.