Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

jim caldwell

dorman1

when i watched the game monday i was embarrased. the defense couldnt tackle n e1. they always try hitting the ball carrier instead of wrapping up and tackling. if the bucs didnt have those big plays taken away from penalties we woukldve lost by 21 or more. caldwells decision making is horrible. like the superbowl he was scared 2 play aggresive. and the timeout in the playoff game last year. he isnt head coach material at all. he looks like he lost his puppy dog when u c him on the sidelines. y did he punt the ball on 4th and short with 3:00 left down by a td. he had 2 know our d couldnt stop them. was he hopping 4 aznother big play 2 get called back on the bucs. my 3 year old kid told me that jim caldwell sux. there is no reason we have lost the games we have with the current roster.

We should ABSOLUTELY be losing these games..when you build an ENTIRE team around #18 and he's not on the field then you should absolutely expect to lose! There is absolutely NO QUESTION in my mind why we lose. Sure we have 50+ other players but their value under this team and system immediately took a dive once #18 stepped off the field. Everyone knows it, and hopefully the front office won't let this happen again in the future (rely far too much on one player).

We should ABSOLUTELY be losing these games..when you build an ENTIRE team around #18 and he's not on the field then you should absolutely expect to lose! There is absolutely NO QUESTION in my mind why we lose. Sure we have 50+ other players but their value under this team and system immediately took a dive once #18 stepped off the field. Everyone knows it, and hopefully the front office won't let this happen again in the future (rely far too much on one player).

this team is an average coach away from being 3-1 without peyton.

this team is an average coach away from being 3-1 without peyton.

Which team? Certainly not the 2011 Indianapolis Colts. With Peyton, we would be very lucky to be 3-1 at this point (Texans were probably going to beat us regardless). We've got a lot of inexperience at some very critical positions on both lines. In addition, we're just not as talented at some spots (DB and LB) as we need to be. You can coach form and technique and all of those little nuances but you cannot coach talent. You either have it or you don't. Unfortunately for our defense, for the most part, we don't.

Let's see. Elite team with best qb to play the position is handed to Caldwell. Team is 14-2 in regular season. Gets to superbowl and is thoroughly outcoached by Sean Payton. Better team loses superbowl denying Peyton his 2nd ring and the haters rejoice.

Second season, Colts slip to 10-6, barely make playoffs and are eliminated by the Jets in a game we had won. Caldwell's ridiculous timeout helps move Jets into vastly superior field goal position and they kick a chip shot to win game. Caldwell maintains blank stare. He's as puzzled as anyone as to why he's actually the coach of the Colts. He doesn't realize that Polian and son are afraid to bring in a professional staff that may want to share power and decision making. Caldwell still raises hand before asking the Polians a question. He is no threat whatsoever to them.

Season 3, Peyton is lost due to surgery. Now is the time for some real coaching. Unfortunately, we still have Caldwell. Colts start out 0-4. Caldwell defenders point out that he took us to superbowl. They snap at anyone who points out that the clueless imposter is in over his head. They attempt to ridicule anyone who mentions that Caldwell's only other head coaching position involved setting Wake Forest's football program back a decade.

Defenders point out that we didn't get blown out by the Steelers. They neglect to mention these same Steelers were blown out by the Ravens. This was not your father's Steelers team...........but, hey, we might edge KC? Don't bet the farm. Caldwell still hasn't had his ability to call pathetic timeouts pulled yet. And if we get outcoached again, so what? We'll have Peyton back next year. Let's not rush and dump Caldwell. After all, he knows the system................

Let's see. Elite team with best qb to play the position is handed to Caldwell. Team is 14-2 in regular season. Gets to superbowl and is thoroughly outcoached by Sean Payton. Better team loses superbowl denying Peyton his 2nd ring and the haters rejoice.

Second season, Colts slip to 10-6, barely make playoffs and are eliminated by the Jets in a game we had won. Caldwell's ridiculous timeout helps move Jets into vastly superior field goal position and they kick a chip shot to win game. Caldwell maintains blank stare. He's as puzzled as anyone as to why he's actually the coach of the Colts. He doesn't realize that Polian and son are afraid to bring in a professional staff that may want to share power and decision making. Caldwell still raises hand before asking the Polians a question. He is no threat whatsoever to them.

Season 3, Peyton is lost due to surgery. Now is the time for some real coaching. Unfortunately, we still have Caldwell. Colts start out 0-4. Caldwell defenders point out that he took us to superbowl. They snap at anyone who points out that the clueless imposter is in over his head. They attempt to ridicule anyone who mentions that Caldwell's only other head coaching position involved setting Wake Forest's football program back a decade.

Defenders point out that we didn't get blown out by the Steelers. They neglect to mention these same Steelers were blown out by the Ravens. This was not your father's Steelers team...........but, hey, we might edge KC? Don't bet the farm. Caldwell still hasn't had his ability to call pathetic timeouts pulled yet. And if we get outcoached again, so what? We'll have Peyton back next year. Let's not rush and dump Caldwell. After all, he knows the system................

wow, well said,you have best post of the year. everytime i have something to say about caldwell, can i copy and paste this?

I know this is going to go over like a lead balloon but Jim Caldwell's coaching alone didn't cost us the Super Bowl. Peyton Manning's pick six (which you get attacked for even daring to bring up around here), Freeney's injury, and Baskett not recovering the onside kick were all factors as well.

You do know most teams that had the injuries the Colts had last year wouldn't have even been thinking about the playoffs last year right? Yes I know the Packers won the Super Bowl with injuries but what did everyone say about it? It was remarkable. Why was it remarkable? Because most teams that are that beat up don't make the playoffs. Caldwell also rallied the troops when they were 6-6 and left for dead and lead them to the division title including winning three games in the division during that run including two games against the second best team in our division that year. Yet no one wants to talk about that.

As for the Jets game Caldwell's timeout didn't have nearly as much to do with that game as the Colts not covering the last kickoff very well did. If they cover that kickoff and make the Jets start from even the 25 the game is probably very different. Again it wasn't Caldwell alone that cost us that game.

Is Caldwell perfect? Far from it. I am the first to admit that. However, when you look back at the games we've lost under him you can normally find player mistakes that people just don't like to talk about. There is a huge double standard with a lot of Colts fans, when we win it's all because of Peyton Manning and yet whenever we lose it's all Caldwell's fault. I don't agree with that theory but for the fans that do if they honestly think Peyton Manning is the only reason we win why on are earth are you so shocked we can't win without him?

People make way too much out of how Caldwell acts on the sidelines. That just means he knows how to control his emotions. Again I will bring up the quote of Wheeler when he was asked about Caldwell. "We are grown men we don't need someone yelling at us. How would you like your boss yelling at you anytime you made a mistake? We know when we screw up and that we have to do better. They tell us all the time they only keep self starters here and if you need someone to scream at you to get you fired up you aren't going to last very long here."

Also what about the Caldwell haters who snap just as sharply back at anyone who dares to try to defend Caldwell? Saying things like Jim Caldwell get off the message board to them or calling those people homers while they are being realists.

You are more than welcomed to any opinion you would like to have. I however don't agree with a lot of it which I admit is just one man's opinion myself. I think Caldwell is a decent coach. He's not a Hall of Famer but he's far from the bum that some fans make him out to be.

People make way too much out of how Caldwell acts on the sidelines. That just means he knows how to control his emotions. Again I will bring up the quote of Wheeler when he was asked about Caldwell. "We are grown men we don't need someone yelling at us. How would you like your boss yelling at you anytime you made a mistake? We know when we screw up and that we have to do better. They tell us all the time they only keep self starters here and if you need someone to scream at you to get you fired up you aren't going to last very long here."

I don't understand the hate about Caldwell on the sidelines. So he doesn't show many emotions - doesn't mean he doesn't feel them. Just means that he's cool-headed and not going to boil over on every single play. Plus, we've seen him show emotion (Chip Vaughn, anyone?). Anyway, it really doesn't matter to me what he does while he's on the sideline. I'm not watching the coaches, I'm watching the players.

By the way, I really love that quote from Wheeler; this is the first time I've read it. Really great response by him, and it shows that the Colts give their players a lot of responsibility for their actions. I like it.

You do know most teams that had the injuries the Colts had last year wouldn't have even been thinking about the playoffs last year right? Yes I know the Packers won the Super Bowl with injuries but what did everyone say about it? It was remarkable.

And I don't think that their injuries came CLOSE to ours regarding quantity of key players, or concentration by position. We were devastated at WR, RB & TE - which is kind of a problem when that is precisely what your team is built around. Being down to DB #18 or so didn't help either. They lost a handful of big names, and it is admirable that they had the depth to get past it, but it's not the same.

Did any Caldwell hater stop to think that his inherent steadiness and focus was exactly what that team needed? How would Jon Gruden ripping his hair out and hitting the trainers with his clipboard have improved things exactly?

I don't understand the hate about Caldwell on the sidelines. So he doesn't show many emotions - doesn't mean he doesn't feel them. Just means that he's cool-headed and not going to boil over on every single play. Plus, we've seen him show emotion (Chip Vaughn, anyone?). Anyway, it really doesn't matter to me what he does while he's on the sideline. I'm not watching the coaches, I'm watching the players.

By the way, I really love that quote from Wheeler; this is the first time I've read it. Really great response by him, and it shows that the Colts give their players a lot of responsibility for their actions. I like it.

Exactly and there have been other times he's shown emotions too. There was a picture in the star after the Browns game after one of the two no called back-to-back PIs and Caldwell had the same mad look in his face yelling at a ref while pointing to the big board.

He just knows how to keep a level head. Not a bad thing. Most of the time when people are in highly stressful situations the first thing you hear is people saying keep your cool. I'll listen to people who want to be upset about his time managment or being too conservative, or being slow to adjust because those have merit but the people who don't like him because he can keep his cool I don't think holds much water. BB is almost as calm as Caldwell is on the sidelines yet no one comments about his lack of emotions. I heard a reporter today say on the radio the only difference in a BB presser and a Caldwell presser is that Caldwell will smile at you and joke with you when he's not telling you anything.

wow, well said,you have best post of the year.

I suspect that most people have a higher criteria for such praise than the fact that you stumbled upon someone who hates Caldwell with as much vigor (and as little logic) as you seem to.

Are you sure you "luv" the shoe? Perhaps you are talking about Birkenstocks or something.

the system all offenses can beat, change the system

I suspect that most people have a higher criteria for such praise than the fact that you stumbled upon someone who hates Caldwell with as much vigor (and as little logic) as you seem to.

Are you sure you "luv" the shoe? Perhaps you are talking about Birkenstocks or something.

it says luv the shoe, not love the CALD. i have and always loved i.u. basketball and bob knight. quit

supporting knight when he went off the deep end and refused to ever alter his system and the way he treated people. but still love and support i.u. basketball. Do you have to love and support all 53 players and coaches with blind loyalty to be are real fan of the colts, i dont think so! i dont't hate jim caldwell i dont even know him. i just feel

he is not the best coach the colts could have, and he is 45 feet over his head. imo