Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keriyn Williams

atapcl

DB is not #2. Cant catch, scared to block and easily tackled.

Soo, I guess the #31 I was watching this pre-season was another RB we have named Donald Brown catching passes out of the backfield. Ahh, I see. Wasn't aware we had 2 Donald Brown's. I'm a terrible fan, didn't realize that roster move was made

:sigh: I'm such a terrible fan

Jones caught the only TD tonight.

I don't think that makes him worthy of a roster spot, personally. I don't think he's very good, and if we had to, I think we could easily find a tight end of his caliber either on the waiver wire or in a veteran who hasn't been in camp. We worked some other guys out already. 

Williams isn't anything special, so far, but he has a skill set that is a little harder to find. He has speed and shiftiness, and if he continues to develop in the pros, he will be able to utilize those skills to make some big plays. Jones doesn't have anything that makes him stand out from everyone else.

It comes down to if they keep four running backs or not.  A lot of times they only kept three and that was before they kept a fullback.  I don't remember the exact number we kept last year but I know a lot years it's been three.  So even if you cut Harnish to make room for the fullback you would still have to come up an extra body to make room for Williams.  Now, that's not impossible and frankly if we are going to keep the best 53 I think Williams did a lot more this pre-season to earn a spot on the roster than anyone trying to get the fifth WR job (keep in mind Brazil is pretty much exempt from this process due to being gone for the first four weeks).  We might see Williams make the final 53 and the Colts grab a fifth WR from another roster cut some place and then cut Williams.  I will say this with Reed going down tonight with the concussion that might open the door for Williams make it as the kick returner.   

Are you saying people were calling Holmes a bust. I had not seen that on any of the posts. He has been injured all during camp.

I had seen it on several posts, including one who said we have to use our #1 pick on a Center next year because it's clear that Holmes will never work out.    Seriously.

I don't recall the name.    

I know some people get frustrated with guys who have an injury history....   but sometimes the lack of patience and understanding can be mind boggling....

Anyway....   really good to hear from you and HTown that Holmes started and did well....

Better days ahead....     :thmup:

I figured since a discussion was already made here about Kerwynn Williams that I would go over his night both from a Return stand point. First lets go over the raw numbers which I will post below:

3 Kickoff Returns for an average of 21 yards with his longest being 24 yards. That went along with 18 rushing attempts for 92 yards with his longest being of 23 yards

I will go over the 2 kickoffs returns that he ran out below

Kickoff Return #1:Williams caught the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone (which if it was that deep I would not have ran it out to begin with, just take the free 20, dont see why its not done more often, free 20 yards and alot less chance of injury- win win) By the time he reached the 5 yard line here was already 9 Bengals players in the area to our 8 Colts players, He approached the 10 yard line at which point he did a little studder step to the outside side which Josh Gordy appeared to have a pretty angle to seal off #82 where Kerwynn had at least a 10 yards  he could have made in back to at least the 20 and if he made #20 for the Bengals miss then who knows

Kickoff Return #2 came for him at 10:30 to go in the 3rd Quarter.....He caught the ball, He ran out to the 5 yard line at which point we had an 8 on 6 advantage, Delano Howell was on Dontay Moch for some reason or another and thats clearly a mismatch, there was three Bengals just outside of that who were all angled inside, Kerwynn did a little studder step and decided to go straight ahead running right into the back of Cleary (more like tackled by Moch onto the back of Cleary's legs) leaving him slow to get up

Thoughts? Let me know if you want me to go over his carries as I saw them

I don't think that makes him worthy of a roster spot, personally. I don't think he's very good, and if we had to, I think we could easily find a tight end of his caliber either on the waiver wire or in a veteran who hasn't been in camp. We worked some other guys out already. 

Williams isn't anything special, so far, but he has a skill set that is a little harder to find. He has speed and shiftiness, and if he continues to develop in the pros, he will be able to utilize those skills to make some big plays. Jones doesn't have anything that makes him stand out from everyone else.

Agree on all accounts, but at the same time I could make an argument he performed overall better then Cunningham especially once you take into account what his primary purpose will be, neither Cunningham or Jones are on the roster to be catching a serious number of balls and right now Jones is the superior blocker and thats not close, you could line up Jones out in 3 wide as well just like Cunningham if you want, neither are going to beat you with there speed.

If Williams has speed he did not show it in his forty. I think we keep both for depth to back up at FB and TE. I am almost sure Fleener will not last for all 16 games. Who do you believe is available that would be better than Jones?

K Willy is gonna be on the final 53. He has to. The way our RB's always get hurt, we'd be dumb not to carry 4.

Ahmad Bradshaw is a question mark heading into week 1

Donald Brown history of injuries is well documented

Only "healthy" reliable guy is Vick Ballard and we don't need him being a workhorse back when the purpose was to have a committee of backs so no one back is carrying the load all by himself

Those stats don't tell the whole story. Brown only got yardage when the O-line was able to open up a hole for him.

Ballard got more yards independent of the O-line. 

Ballard was eighth in the league in forced missed tackles/rush and 9th in the league in yards after contact. He was also top 15 in broken tackles (he broke a tackle on 9.6% of his runs) while Brown was bottom 10 in broken tackles, breaking one on only 4.3% of his run. 

Dustin, I get what you're saying.  Basically Ballard passes the eye test better than Brown in your opinion.  I'm just pointing out that, no matter what the excuse, their production was almost exactly the same when you average all of their runs.

Based on the preseason, who do you think did better?  Who passed the eye test for you when it was our ones against theirs?

IMO, Brown looked better but neither were that impressive.

Dustin, I get what you're saying.  Basically Ballard passes the eye test better than Brown in your opinion.  I'm just pointing out that, no matter what the excuse, their production was almost exactly the same when you average all of their runs.

Based on the preseason, who do you think did better?  Who passed the eye test for you when it was our ones against theirs?

IMO, Brown looked better but neither were that impressive.

Funny, I don't remember Brown carrying the ball for almost 100 yards in any of the preseason games, nor do I remember seeing anything spectacular from him.  When the season starts, Ballard and Bradshaw (the superior backs) will rotate and play like gangbusters.     

If Williams has speed he did not show it in his forty. I think we keep both for depth to back up at FB and TE. I am almost sure Fleener will not last for all 16 games. Who do you believe is available that would be better than Jones?

He showed speed in college, nearly elite speed, I think. And I don't know what's wrong with a 4.36 forty yard dash; Darren Sproles ran a 4.47. Williams was one of the best runners at the Combine in the forty and the shuttle. That doesn't always translate to the field, and so far, I don't think Williams has looked all that  fast during the games. He's shown some quickness, but he's looked hesitant most of the time. I haven't watched last night's game yet, so maybe he looked different.

I don't know whether Fleener or Allen will hold up for 16 games. We'll find out. Depth at TE might be paramount, depending on what their status is. Depth at FB? Not so much. We didn't even have a FB last year, and I don't think Robert Hughes is going to be in high demand right away. Although, Jerome Felton is out for four games, but I think the Vikings will have several options at FB.

As for TE depth available, we worked out a couple guys who aren't picked up yet. And I bet there will be a handful that hit the waiver wire. VIsanthe Shiancoe was released last week, and I definitely think he's better than Jones. He doesn't know the system, but as a veteran, I'm sure he can pick up it.

He showed speed in college, nearly elite speed, I think. And I don't know what's wrong with a 4.36 forty yard dash; Darren Sproles ran a 4.47. Williams was one of the best runners at the Combine in the forty and the shuttle. That doesn't always translate to the field, and so far, I don't think Williams has looked all that  fast during the games. He's shown some quickness, but he's looked hesitant most of the time. I haven't watched last night's game yet, so maybe he looked different.

I don't know whether Fleener or Allen will hold up for 16 games. We'll find out. Depth at TE might be paramount, depending on what their status is. Depth at FB? Not so much. We didn't even have a FB last year, and I don't think Robert Hughes is going to be in high demand right away. Although, Jerome Felton is out for four games, but I think the Vikings will have several options at FB.

As for TE depth available, we worked out a couple guys who aren't picked up yet. And I bet there will be a handful that hit the waiver wire. VIsanthe Shiancoe was released last week, and I definitely think he's better than Jones. He doesn't know the system, but as a veteran, I'm sure he can pick up it.

Sorry I meant Cunningham. I thought we were discussing keeping Cunningham over Jones. Yes Kerwyn Williams has speed but not Cunningham.

perhaps we're getting confused as to who we're talking about?

possibly...here's the post you quoted:

On his after the game press conference coach Pagano was noncommittal in his evaluation of Holmes. Said he had to look at the tape and needed to look at some of the penetration that came up the middle.

Holmes = Khaled Holmes, the rookie Center.  

With the exception of a dropped pass against the Browns, I think Brown has been our best back in the preseason.

hahahahaha! He fell down tonight when he Tried an open field cut. THAT is Donald Brown

He is just OK running at a hole and quite Poor at finding his way to holes. He is a MGlynn, a Link, we hope they are replaced by a better player ASAP. This kid is a Much Better runner than DB will ever be. So was Meggett.

hahahahaha! He fell down tonight when he Tried an open field cut. THAT is Donald Brown

He is just OK running at a hole and quite Poor at finding his way to holes. He is a MGlynn, a Link, we hope they are replaced by a better player ASAP. This kid is a Much Better runner than DB will ever be. So was Meggett.

I don't want to do this anymore; this is all I can muster up.

tumblr_li2g8myY1v1qar694o1_500.gif

Kerwynn has skills that Donald never had. He is allusive,quick,great vision and awareness,and I'm not talking about his ability to read a map. Someone a couple of days ago wrote "How could DB see with his Linemen in the way". I thought it was stated he had a chance to play Baseball when he was drafted by the Colts. This is what he should have done. If Kerwynn can stay healthy, I think he will be special. I cant see wasting any more time on a player that occasionally does ok. It seems since Edgerrin James left, the only quality a running back needs is to block well. Which is all Addai ever did after his first year. I was excited when Brown first arrived, but that wore off after seeing his first year. Give Williams a chance,he maybe our next Marshall.

DB is not #2.  Cant catch, scared to block and easily tackled.

What games were you watching?  He is a very good receiver out of the backfield. He blocks as good as any other RB on the roster other than Bradshaw. Si you didn't see those back to back runs against the Browns? He ran over and carried a couple of Browns tacklers. Do you remember Lucks very 1st throw in the NFL?  Nuff said.

All this so called debating is a waste of time. The season is 16 games long plus however many playoffs games there will be. The Colts will need all of these running backs. Each one of them have different skills. Matchups will dictate on what back is used. This forum has turned into nothing but one big argument. Too many refuse to respect other opinions and then just keep saying the same thing over and over. Not a one of has anything but an opinion but pounding the same old stuff is going nowhere. Grigg's statement was he will pick who he thinks is the best players and is not swayed by those who think they know better. Arguing over who is best gets nowhere because all the RBs play a roll on this team. I read these comments and think to myself why are we all sounding like a bunch of kid arguing? 

Kerwynn played well Thursday

yeah overall he did well running the ball, I liked what I saw there. He made some bad reads but made some good runs, He danced quite a bit (first run of the game for him is a good example of this), He had 2 choices and he chose the 3rd choice (the wrong 1) It was a Zone Run all of the O Linemen slid to the left, Williams started running that way but made a jump step back like he was gong to cut back but Moch was there (I dont think Moch would have caught him though) so Williams hesitated before deciding on trying to push through for a couple yards behind his O Line, Thornton got pushed back on the play a bit, the play looked like it could have been designed to run behind him. Either way if your a running back you dont make your jump cut  and come to a complete stop(One cut and get up field), He should have taken off in the direction of that jump step I think

yeah overall he did well running the ball, I liked what I saw there. He made some bad reads but made some good runs, He danced quite a bit (first run of the game for him is a good example of this), He had 2 choices and he chose the 3rd choice (the wrong 1) It was a Zone Run all of the O Linemen slid to the left, Williams started running that way but made a jump step back like he was gong to cut back but Moch was there (I dont think Moch would have caught him though) so Williams hesitated before deciding on trying to push through for a couple yards behind his O Line, Thornton got pushed back on the play a bit, the play looked like it could have been designed to run behind him. Either way if your a running back you dont make your jump cut  and come to a complete stop(One cut and get up field), He should have taken off in the direction of that jump step I think

He made himself valuable on Special Teams. That is what helped push Carter out the door in favor of Williams. 

He made himself valuable on Special Teams. That is what helped push Carter out the door in favor of Williams. 

What pushed Carter out the door was 2 things:

1.Your worthless as a running back if you cant consistently run with the football

2.The Bradshaw signing seeled his fate, it was just a matter of seeing if we could get a trade for him, if not he was going to be released

Outside 1 long run on special teams Williams(read the overpursuit on that play real good to) hasn't done anything there