Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sidbury to IR

open window

I haven't read anything like that, BUT I haven't really read anything unless it was posted in the day to day training camp threads that were posted here and I don't recall really seeing anything about Sidbury though it's entirely possible there were updates about him that I missed.  I simply liked what I was able to see from him in the Bill's game and would have liked to see him continue to work into the defense.  I also agree that we appear to be strong at OLB, but as they say, you can never have too many pass rushers.  I also like what I've seen from Rayford, but if push came to shove right now and we had to choose between he and Sidbury (assuming Sidbury were healthy) then personally I would choose the guy that's actually been playing in the NFL for the past few years over the guy who we found in the AFL.  

And just to clarify, I'm not down on Rayford at all.  Quite the opposite actually.  He seems to have a lot of potential and I hope he can turn into another great find by Grigson.  However, at this point he's just a guy who has spent the past few years in the Arena league because apparently no one felt he was worth giving a shot in the pro's.  Yeah he's had a great preseason, but a lot of guys show well in the preseason only to fizzle out when things turn real.  I hope that doesn't happen, I don't want it to happen but it's certainly a possibility.

Oh and one clarification on Sidbury..it's his shoulder, not his back, if I remember correctly. :)

I agree.  I initially thought Sidbury might be considered because I misread and thought that there was a deadline for when they could designate a player to be able to return from IR.  So basically if they had to choose between the guys who are on IR right now hoping that no key player goes down between now and what I thought was a deadline, then I would think it would probably come down to between Anderson, Hickman and Sidbury.  But yeah, I definitely agree that waiting is definitely better since there is no need to designate a player right away. :)

Yes shoulder... don't know why I said "back." 

So what if Sidbury just said that he was not negotiating anything with the Colts. He's been placed on IR and nothing else is done. There was something in Colts.com that said surgery looked to be oncoming , thus Sidbury might feel his 2013 is no doubt over.What I'm having a hard time understanding is would Sidbury receive his 715K (2013 base salary) in full ? If the answer would be yes , why would he want to "work out " an injury settlement ? If he has a chance to get healthy and catch on with another team , I could see the benefit . Am I being a numbskull and missing something simple here ?

I think the team could file a grievance in that case. If the player's salary isn't guaranteed, I'm sure the team has ways to avoid paying that salary, including a straight release.

Injury settlements usually take a couple of weeks.

This is the minutiae that keeps lawyers busy. The SOP is that the team IRs the player, then they release him after reaching a settlement. If he's able to get back on the field that year, he's free to sign with any team that wants him. But the team doesn't have to carry him and pay his salary.

I think the team could file a grievance in that case. If the player's salary isn't guaranteed, I'm sure the team has ways to avoid paying that salary, including a straight release.

Injury settlements usually take a couple of weeks.

This is the minutiae that keeps lawyers busy. The SOP is that the team IRs the player, then they release him after reaching a settlement. If he's able to get back on the field that year, he's free to sign with any team that wants him. But the team doesn't have to carry him and pay his salary.

I think you pretty much have it , other than it might vary with player to player ... contract to contract. The key thing might be that many contracts are written with provisions that the player only gets a % of his salary if he is injured and placed on IR. That's the part that was "throwing me off." I thought if a player sustained a football related injury , he would be entitled to his base salary in full for that year. So . thus I thought why would the player choose to negotiate any kind of "settlement. Anyway ... you had a good idea of how it plays out and here's what I found googling....

"Players usually do not like to be placed on injured reserve. For many players, the main reason for this is because it prevents them from playing for the rest of the season. Some players might believe that they could play again that season after recovering from their injuries, but being placed on injured reserve makes that impossible. A player cannot refuse to go on IR, because the team controls his status within the league as long as it continues to pay him according to his contract.

Many players also make less money if they are put on the IR list, which is sometimes referred to as the reserve/injured list. Players often agree to contracts that include reduced salaries if they go on IR. Often called split salaries, they usually are between 40 percent and 70 percent of the players' normal salaries. Not all contracts include reduced salaries for players who are put on IR. The Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) also sets minimum amounts for players' split salaries."

Injury Settlements

When a player has an injury that normally would not keep him out of action for the rest of the season, the team also might agree to an injury settlement with him and release him instead of placing him on injured reserve. An injury settlement usually is an amount of money equal to what the player would receive in salary during the time when he is recovering from his injury. Being released allows the player to sign a contract with another team and, when he is healthy again, play in games that season. For example, a player who has a sprained ankle that would prevent him from playing for four weeks might agree to an injury settlement of four weeks' salary instead of being placed on IR for the rest of the season. He could then sign with a new team and play after he has recovered.

I think you pretty much have it , other than it might vary with player to player ... contract to contract. The key thing might be that many contracts are written with provisions that the player only gets a % of his salary if he is injured and placed on IR. That's the part that was "throwing me off." I thought if a player sustained a football related injury , he would be entitled to his base salary in full for that year. So . thus I thought why would the player choose to negotiate any kind of "settlement. Anyway ... you had a good idea of how it plays out and here's what I found googling....

"Players usually do not like to be placed on injured reserve. For many players, the main reason for this is because it prevents them from playing for the rest of the season. Some players might believe that they could play again that season after recovering from their injuries, but being placed on injured reserve makes that impossible. A player cannot refuse to go on IR, because the team controls his status within the league as long as it continues to pay him according to his contract.

Many players also make less money if they are put on the IR list, which is sometimes referred to as the reserve/injured list. Players often agree to contracts that include reduced salaries if they go on IR. Often called split salaries, they usually are between 40 percent and 70 percent of the players' normal salaries. Not all contracts include reduced salaries for players who are put on IR. The Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) also sets minimum amounts for players' split salaries."

Injury Settlements

When a player has an injury that normally would not keep him out of action for the rest of the season, the team also might agree to an injury settlement with him and release him instead of placing him on injured reserve. An injury settlement usually is an amount of money equal to what the player would receive in salary during the time when he is recovering from his injury. Being released allows the player to sign a contract with another team and, when he is healthy again, play in games that season. For example, a player who has a sprained ankle that would prevent him from playing for four weeks might agree to an injury settlement of four weeks' salary instead of being placed on IR for the rest of the season. He could then sign with a new team and play after he has recovered.

I think a key variable is that you're dealing with a player with no guaranteed base salary who gets hurt in the preseason, before his salary would have been fully guaranteed (Sidbury is a vested veteran). It's also relevant that his contract expires after this season, so there's no future money to worry about either.

If this were Pat McAfee, whose contract is fully guaranteed for 2013, there would be no injury settlement.