Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade Delone Carter

cjwhiskers

God move for Carter, he has a shot to make the team. He was going to be cut anyway. Reed will be cut, but we need warm bodies for the last preseason game.

Nice move by the Colts, giving Carter a chance to catch on with another team before there's a mad flood of FAs.

It did seem like they sort of featured him in the 3rd Q, now it makes sense.

You have no clue if Reed will be cut. He was brought in to return kicks. Could be Griggs didn't want to use our starters to return kicks to keep them from injury. Reed did have good return numbers. A 29 yard average is not too shabby.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so but I would have taken a fifth thru 7th before this unproven unnecessary addition at wideout. Or I would have kept Carter and got rid of Brown he is worthless. Carter had more potential. Or I would have traded them both for a higher pick.

Reed was not traded to be a WR. He is a return man. Plus you just don't snap your fingers and trade Carter or Brown. 

Top flight returner? Didn't know the ravens gave is Jacoby Jones, thought they gave us this Reed guy.

His last season(2011) returning kicks he fumbled 3 times. Wouldn't call that top flight

The fumbling can be worked on. Jones only averaged 1 yard more than Reed in kick returns. 

Top flight does mean one of the best, and I don't care what your average is if your putting the football on the turf 3 times on 18 returns in 2011. Fumbling twice vs Seahawks in 2011

I have watched the Seahawks quite a few times and they might be the best team in the league at forcing fumbles. I have no clue if Reed will be a great return guy but to disregard him is premature. 

Carter wasn't going to make this roster and it's pretty clear based on the moves the Colts have been making they are not happy with the WRs behind the front line guys and no one has stepped up to win the kick return job so I like it.  If nothing else we turned a guy who wasn't going to make the roster into a guy who has at least a chance to make it rather as a kick return man or a WR. 

He could be that 5th WR. Anything could happen. Brazill could get high again, Whalen's groin could give out again, etc etc.

Point being, everyone we bring in has the same equal opportunity to make the roster as the other 89 players on the roster. To count them out automatically before even seeing them in action is just wrong

No they don't.

Great.

Nothing like trading a guy you were going to cut for another guy you will end up cutting.

Pointless trade. Waste of both teams time.

Now, back to talking about Saturday

I understand where you are coming from. I think 99 % would presume that carter was getting cut but maybe we can not be as sure that Reed would get cut but who knows. If we agree that reed was getting cut then more than likely pointless trade if he wasn't however then we were able to send a player we weren't going to keep for a player who wasn't getting cut then we would have been unable to pick him up as a free agent and if he he does contribute to special teams it more than likely isn't a pointless trade. 

While i acknowledge that there is a lot of ifs and buts in this post that is all use fans can do at the moment as we cannot categorically state anything at this point in time. 

The Colts also got 2 plates of smoked crab cakes & a bottle of maddog 20 20 to sweeten the deal .

Maddog? Hopefully they got some purple passion also! Ewww, that just took me back 23 years. Makes me want to hurl just reading those names. Lol

Sorry, back on topic

We just signed Maurice Williams who looks better then Reed imo and we still have Kelly and Palmer. Reed is a small WR more of a slot,  Williams and Kelly are outside WR's.It's not like will be in 5 WR sets the entire game. most of the time 3 WR sets. We still have Fleener and Allen who will be used in the passing game and sometimes in 5 WR sets. There's other positions like C,S, CB that we needed more then a WR.

Kelley dropped about 3 passes in 'warmups' before the Buffalo game.  He did not look good at all.  As we know, pre-game warm-ups help get our team mentally ready....he was not into warmups at all.

I also mentioned somewhere Palmer is not running crisp routes and not running out the plays.....

These two are on the verge of going away soon...Saturday night is a big night for both IMO. :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

So what does that have to do with anything? Pat McAfee is listed as an emergency QB but does that make him a QB?

Because we already have players on the roster who can KR and have value at a different position. (Brazill, Vaughn, Williams, ect..) why keeps a fumbling KR and burn a roster spot when he have better players who can play their standard position + KR?

Because we already have players on the roster who can KR and have value at a different position. (Brazill, Vaughn, Williams, ect..) why keeps a fumbling KR and burn a roster spot when he have better players who can play their standard position + KR?

They are just kicking tires. No loss if he isn't an improvement over what the team already has, and no loss if he's working at Walmart in a couple weeks (excepting for him, I guess, but it sounds like that was the likely outcome if he'd stayed in Baltimore)

There is a difference between debate and arguing. Others do have a different point of view as you but all you do is argue about it. Reed had 3 fumbles. 2 of those fumbles were playing the Seahawks. The Seahawks are the 2nd highest team in the NFL to force fumbles behind the Bears. I have no clue if Reed will become what the Colts are looking for as a return man but neither do you. 

There is a difference between debate and arguing. Other do have a different point of view as you but all you do is argue about it.

You started this "argument". I just said we're likely not going to keep 6 receivers and you're the one who got all defensive about it.

" Reed had 3 fumbles. 2 of those fumbles were playing the Seahawks. The Seahawks are the 2nd team in the NFL to force fumbles behind the Bears."

So?

". I have no clue if Reed will become what the Colts are looking for as a return man but neither do you. "

I never claimed to.

You started this "argument". I just said we're likely not going to keep 6 receivers and you're the one who got all defensive about it.

" Reed had 3 fumbles. 2 of those fumbles were playing the Seahawks. The Seahawks are the 2nd team in the NFL to force fumbles behind the Bears."

So?

". I have no clue if Reed will become what the Colts are looking for as a return man but neither do you. "

I never claimed to.

Whatever, go back and read your comments. Every time another poster said anything positive about Reed you never took their point into consideration. Just an automatic negative response from you. That is what argument is. There is a point where people just agree to disagree. There is where you can't draw that conclusion. 

Whatever, go back and read your comments. Every time another poster said anything positive about Reed you never took their point into consideration. Just an automatic negative response from you. 

Well my only 2 responses to people in this thread (other than you) were to one poster when I said we likely won't keep 6 receivers and another poster who said that that this was in response to Vaughn fumbling when I noted that Reed has a fumbling issue of his own. I guess that constitutes as arguing to you? lol

It's all moot though as this guy in all likelihood won't make the roster anyway. So agree to disagree.

I think Williams will be a much better running back in the NFL than he will be a kick returner.  Maybe he'll improve as a returner, but I just don't see it yet.  I was down on T.Y. as a returner last year, and he got better as a punt returner, although he never showed much on kick returns.  I'm glad they took him off of that.

Bassed on what?

I have watched the Seahawks quite a few times and they might be the best team in the league at forcing fumbles. I have no clue if Reed will be a great return guy but to disregard him is premature.

Seahawks were 23rd in the league in forced fumbles in 2011

Most of those weren't trades

Not to mention that every GM brings in at least 37 players over the course of the offseason. The roster size goes from 53 to 90. You have to bring players in just to fill out your roster. Not to mention replacing free agents. With the new roster sizes and shorter contracts for rookies, there's going to be a ton of roster turnover every offseason. I don't think people are used to that yet.

Yes  I found a article for you that can better explain  .

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500188_162-20076379.html

Damn that sounds good.  I have never had a smoked crab cake but I do love them broiled.  I always find it funny when restaurant menus (non MD) claim they have MD style crab cakes.  Sure you do.

Those steam crabs look familiar.  I miss them.  When I was younger (grew up in Baltimore) the blue crabs were huge.

Appreciate the link.

Anyone that wants to make a decent MD style crab cake?  At the grocery store Old Bay has a small packet (near the canned Old Bay) that you add to crab meat and mayo.  Pretty darn good.

Not to mention that every GM brings in at least 37 players over the course of the offseason. The roster size goes from 53 to 90. You have to bring players in just to fill out your roster. Not to mention replacing free agents. With the new roster sizes and shorter contracts for rookies, there's going to be a ton of roster turnover every offseason. I don't think people are used to that yet.

I agree but how many teams or GMs bring in 37 players and then have 30 plus new players make the roster? I don't know the exact number of new players brought in last season but it was a bunch. Counting the 37 that were cut to make the 53 and the number of new players on the 53 man roster it was pretty amazing the Colts went 11-5. So far with all of the free agents signed and the draft picks we will see another big change in the roster. There was and is a reason why most of the so called experts thought the Colts would be picking first again this year and will regress this season. Just a little food for thought. Peace.

Man I missed this place. I forgot just how intense Armchair GM'ing can be.

And LOL @ judging Kerwynn Williams as a runner or a returner 2 games into preseason of his rookie year. The hilarity of those comments is only surpassed in this thread by the dude that keeps commenting on how slow Kerwynn is. Honestly, that's one of the silliest comments I've seen on here in awhile