Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Signs say Hugh Thornton Practices This Week

HtownColt

I'd say you will be disappointed.. Thornton has missed a good bit of time

Right. There's no way they start a rookie with two weeks of pro experience on opening day.

This isn't meant to be argumentative, it's an honest question: Why do people think he's a better choice to take the McGlynn spot over guys like Reitz, Cleary, Ijalana, Link, or others on the roster?

Right. There's no way they start a rookie with two weeks of pro experience on opening day.

This isn't meant to be argumentative, it's an honest question: Why do people think he's a better choice to take the McGlynn spot over guys like Reitz, Cleary, Ijalana, Link, or others on the roster?

I agree with you as well. Can't plug a guy in who has never played an NFL snap (not even preseason). It will be McGlynn at guard, people might as well put up with it unless he does happen to get hurt

That's not exactly a who's who of blocking prowess....so I assume you mean immediately and not long term.

Agreed the guy hasn't played a down of pro football & he is great. Could be worse than McGlynn? Hard to believe but maybe, its like the kid from Tennessee we drafted and people on here had him starting his 2nd year & he doesn't even make the team!

The only thing Thornton has to adjust to is the speed of the game, his OL coach at Illinios is the Colts OL coach now. His learning curve is shorter than everybody elses. Probably why he was ahead of all them except McGlynn before he got hurt.

The only thing Thornton has to adjust to is the speed of the game, his OL coach at Illinios is the Colts OL coach now. His learning curve is shorter than everybody elses. Probably why he was ahead of all them except McGlynn before he got hurt.

I'm sorry,  but that's not true.   It's not even close to true.

If that were the case, most every college player would have little trouble eventually being a good player in the NFL.   And we all know that's not the case.

The NFL playbook is much bigger.   Communication, much more complicated.   Defenses, much larger in numbers and much, much more sophisticated.    Players, much stronger.    The list goes on and on and on.   

Thornton will have his work cut out for him to get into the starting line-up.   I'll be happy if he does it by the bye-week...

I'm sorry, but that's not true. It's not even close to true.

If that were the case, most every college player would have little trouble eventually being a good player in the NFL. And we all know that's not the case.

The NFL playbook is much bigger. Communication, much more complicated. Defenses, much larger in numbers and much, much more sophisticated. Players, much stronger. The list goes on and on and on.

Thornton will have his work cut out for him to get into the starting line-up. I'll be happy if he does it by the bye-week...

Well that's obvious stuff you're pointing out.

The OL coach is bringing in mostly the same blocking schemes he ran at Illinios.

For example Play books are larger but like 10 plays have the same blocking scheme to them. It isn't like there is a different blocking scheme for every 100 some odd plays in a play book.

Well that's obvious stuff you're pointing out.

The OL coach is bringing in mostly the same blocking schemes he ran at Illinios.

For example Play books are larger but like 10 plays have the same blocking scheme to them. It isn't like there is a different blocking scheme for every 100 some odd plays in a play book.

I have to admit, I watched one of his game tapes a while back, I think against Michigatz, and he looked great. He was playing OT in that game, excellent footwork. I know that doesn't translate to OG in the pros, so I assume he has the talent.

Experience is so important, he needs to get out there and hit with the big boys. Until we see that, I'm reserving judgement.

I have to admit, I watched one of his game tapes a while back, I think against Michigatz, and he looked great. He was playing OT in that game, excellent footwork. I know that doesn't translate to OG in the pros, so I assume he has the talent.

Experience is so important, he needs to get out there and hit with the big boys. Until we see that, I'm reserving judgement.

Hopefully that starts this week

Just about all of the really good guards in the pros were tackles in college, so the footwork does translate. I agree though, he needs experience, no way he starts week 1. 

Well I think he will but not by the start of the season and to answer your question because he was drafted unlike three of the four you mentioned and the one that was has missed the last seasons with a major knee injury and hasn't played guard till this season. 

I agree it's unrealistic to expect Thornton to walk in and take McGlynn's job week one but let's not kid ourselves he was drafted to take McGlynn's job rather it be sometime this season or next. 

IMO it is because we know what we are going to get out of Reitz and Link, and while they may be an upgrade over McGlynn, they are not the answer at G.      Ijalana and Thornton are the 2 I feel have the potential to become the guy.

I am not saying that I think Ijalana or Thornton should get thrown in with starters right away.  I just think the ceiling and potential for them is MUCH higher than McGlynn, Reitz, or Link.

IMO it is because we know what we are going to get out of Reitz and Link, and while they may be an upgrade over McGlynn, they are not the answer at G.      Ijalana and Thornton are the 2 I feel have the potential to become the guy.

I am not saying that I think Ijalana or Thornton should get thrown in with starters right away.  I just think the ceiling and potential for them is MUCH higher than McGlynn, Reitz, or Link.

I believe in Ijalana as a G as well, based on his skillset I think he is perfect for it. However, there have not been many indications that he will ever be considered there. He played T in College, he played T in Training Camp and Pre-Season, and if I remember correctly, he only ever played T during his brief rookie season.

I think Mike Mayock said he would be perfect for G at the pro-level when he was drafted,  but that may be the only indication of this.

Further to that... so many websites list Ijalana as a G, and so many Colts fans consider him a G, but has he ever played there?

He's played so little, but I think it's always been at T. I also think us fans are the only ones to not give up on him. Apparently the coaches don't trust him enough to put him in during any meaningful time.

If he doesn't get in during the first half Saturday night, we may as well wish him good luck and goodby.