Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

THE COLTS ARE IN TROUBLE!

BmoreColt

The Colts have recently played inspired football, on two primetime games. Some of this is attributed to the fact that it was a primetime game, some of this is inspiration and rallying in the locker room/on the field, some of this is from coaching/preparation, and some of this is because the media is all over the Colts! Despite all of this and the “improved” performance, THE COLTS ARE IN TROUBLE! The injury bug is going around again, and it’s not only taking veterans, but its claiming young players, all of whom are personnel that needed this evaluation time this season! The Colts drastically need improvement on the defensive side of the football, while the Colts held up against the run the first three quarters, the fourth quarter (crunch time) was disastrous as Blount racked up over 60 yards and a score to add on to the 60 yards through the first three quarters. The run defense appears to be better, but there are missing pieces. The secondary is horrible beyond words, and the defense as a whole really struggles to tackle! When #18 is back, we all know the offense is going to click, but unless there is a major overhaul and rebuilding in the trenches on the offensive and defensive lines, Peyton won’t be protected to extend his playing career, and the Colts will continue to struggle against power teams. The Colts need to become a more balanced team of finesse and power, this is on both sides of the ball. Although the secondary is atrocious and needs vast improvement and quick, the Colts need to rebuild and quick, and the only way you build a team is from inside out!

This week’s game against the Chiefs is realistically the game the Colts need to win, whether that is going to happen is another story. The Bengals are actually better than given credit for, they are playing inspired/tough football on the defensive side of the ball! I don’t think the Colts can match the grit and intensity the Bengals play with, someone mentioned this before, maybe the Colts need to take a good look at Zimmer for a coaching position!

I agree that we definitely need to strengthen our offensive line. I think the defensive line will actually be fine if healthy next year, but we could pick up Paul Soliai, DT from the Dolphins (6'4", 355 lbs) via free agency. We could probably get him for a fair price too... And if we can resign Mathis... But I'd like to see us upgrade our oline by trading our top pick (whether it be the #1 or #5 or somewhere in between) for some team's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd middle round picks (potentially plus even more). With their mid-first round pick we could take Cordy Glenn, G from Georgia (6'5", 348 lbs), this kid is a frickin' tank! Then, with our second round pick, we could take Kelechi Osemele, G from Iowa State (6'5", 347 lbs), who is also a frickin' tank! Then with their mid-second round pick we could take any number of defensive players, whether it be DT, CB, LB, S, or whatever. Then with our 3rd round pick, we can take Ben Jones, C from Georgia (6'3", 316 lbs), who is rated the second overall center at this point and has been playing alongside Cordy Glenn for the last 4 years. Drafting both of them could prove to be a very wise move as they already have the chemistry together and can help ease the transition to the NFL for each other. This would give us the pieces necessary to have one of the best olines in the NFL for the next 10+ years and give Manning an oline like Elway played behind in the twilight of his career as he won 2 Superbowls. That's a whole lotta beef on the interior oline!

The Colts have recently played inspired football, on two primetime games. Some of this is attributed to the fact that it was a primetime game, some of this is inspiration and rallying in the locker room/on the field, some of this is from coaching/preparation, and some of this is because the media is all over the Colts! Despite all of this and the “improved” performance, THE COLTS ARE IN TROUBLE! The injury bug is going around again, and it’s not only taking veterans, but its claiming young players, all of whom are personnel that needed this evaluation time this season! The Colts drastically need improvement on the defensive side of the football, while the Colts held up against the run the first three quarters, the fourth quarter (crunch time) was disastrous as Blount racked up over 60 yards and a score to add on to the 60 yards through the first three quarters. The run defense appears to be better, but there are missing pieces. The secondary is horrible beyond words, and the defense as a whole really struggles to tackle! When #18 is back, we all know the offense is going to click, but unless there is a major overhaul and rebuilding in the trenches on the offensive and defensive lines, Peyton won’t be protected to extend his playing career, and the Colts will continue to struggle against power teams. The Colts need to become a more balanced team of finesse and power, this is on both sides of the ball. Although the secondary is atrocious and needs vast improvement and quick, the Colts need to rebuild and quick, and the only way you build a team is from inside out!

I agree with a lot except for what you said about the DL and the run defense. We do need another DT/NT to have depth at the position behind Johnson and I'd prefer not to ever see Foster play DT again but otherwise the DL is looking very good. The reason the run game diminished so dramatically in the fourth quarter is because all of The DT's except for AJ were hurt. You could say we need more depth but even if we had more big guys, there are only 53 available roster spots and I'm not sure the #for game day roster but there aren't enough spots to have 6 DT's on game day and most of the time there's no need to have that many.

Wait it only took an 0-4 start, half the team's opening day starters being out hurt, three of the four captains being out and the only one who isn't is our kicker, us being down to our third string QB per the season opening depth chart, us being down to one DT, and one injury away from having to play Brody Eldridge on the o-line to figure out we are in trouble?

No kidding this team is in trouble! With that said what are we supposed to do panic and just not try? This team is going to show up and play hard and try to win. Will it be enough to win? This season probably a lot more times than not it wont be. That said this is where fans stand by their team (and I am NOT saying you aren't). Anyone can point out the good things when you are winning 12 games a year and on the verge of going to a Super Bowl and show up and cheer for them it takes a real fan to do that when they are losing (again I am NOT saying you aren't).

The overhauls you are calling for on the lines is happening. We used our first three draft picks this past year just on those very issues. We used our first overall pick the year before that on the d-line we used our second round pick the year before that on a DT. So yes the Colts are addressing those issues. It's going to take sometime. It doesn't happen over night.

As for crunch time last night when you are down to one DT and playing against a good running back yeah he's going to get to yards. I was amazed Blount only broke one big run on us. The secondary clearly has issues with that said draft a cornerback next year and a safety in the mid rounds and I think we address that issue. The linebackers are good so i wouldn't worry about them.

On offense, the line is a work in progress but I think they have three of the starters for the next years in Castonzo, Ijalana, and Reitz. Pollack could very well be one as well. That leaves us one center or guard short for the future. The ground game is already improving behind the rebuilt line and Carter looks to be a keeper. We do need another WR to be groomed to replace Reggie Wayne. All and all though there is still talent here like you said the biggest issue facing this team is the fact Peyton Manning isn't here.

On the old forum I was saying the Colts are in trouble heading into the season, how there needed to be a culture change and shift towards more physical players and a physical mindset. Green Bay, the super bowl champs have a physical defense mixed with some finesse pass rushing and secondary pieces, their offense finesse with the ability to be physical at times (see playoffs) and power run the football. My question is why can’t the Colts shift towards this? None the less here we are today, and the Colts are really beat up, again! The O-line and D-Line are plagued with injuries, why, because we have smaller more finesse players trying to be physical! That doesn’t just happen overnight either, just like a culture change doesn’t. When #18 comes back next year and its business as usual, and the Colts are in the playoffs, all these holes will be forgotten, as Manning has covered them up his entire career!