Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chandler Harnish

Monster

Has looked like hot garbage.  He's a liability, not accurate, and Pam Oliver got a first hand taste of it.   He looked better last year which was barely average. No growth at all, he's regressed. We need that roster spot for for so many other positions of depth, like Caesar Rayford or keeping McManus under the wing of Vinatieri.

Has looked like hot garbage.  He's a liability, not accurate, and Pam Oliver got a first hand taste of it.   He looked better last year which was barely average. No growth at all, he's regressed. We need that roster spot for for so many other positions of depth, like Caesar Rayford or keeping McManus under the wing of Vinatieri.

I can't defend Harnish, but I wish people would let go of the idea that we're going to burn a roster spot on a backup kicker for an entire season. If you really like McManus that much, hope he gets hurt and we IR him. That's the only way he stays on this roster past final cuts.

Chandler Harnish won't be here down the road. We'll find another back-up QB for the future. Hasselbeck is a good stop gap at the moment though.

And it doesn't matter anyway, we're carrying 2 QB's and we honestly shouldn't even give Harnish a roster spot on the Practice Squad. He surely hasn't earned it

I can't defend Harnish, but I wish people would let go of the idea that we're going to burn a roster spot on a backup kicker for an entire season. If you really like McManus that much, hope he gets hurt and we IR him. That's the only way he stays on this roster past final cuts.

My point was he is a waste of a roster spot that we could use any other way. Not for necessarily  Mcmanus, we have a lot of candidates.   But I do like the kicker.

My point was he is a waste of a roster spot that we could use any other way. Not for necessarily  Mcmanus, we have a lot of candidates.   But I do like the kicker.

We'll have nearly 40 candidates for that spot. Might as well make it someone who is actually going to play. Personally, I never expected us to carry three quarterbacks, assuming Luck and Hasselbeck both made it through preseason in one piece. Teams with an entrenched started and a really solid veteran backup don't carry three quarterbacks unless injuries make it necessary.

No one carries two kickers. McManus would have to take AV's job, and after that 52 yarder yesterday, I think all hope is lost for that happening. AV is still a great kicker, and we might as well ride him until his contract expires. And if he keeps kicking like this, and is willing to take a pay cut, I wouldn't mind bringing him back next year.

How about we calm down after seeing him in parts of 2 games? You're acting like you have a personal vendetta against him. If he lights in up in the next two games we'll see a ton of "HARNISH IS OUR SAVIOR" crap.I don't think anyone thought Harnish was a SAVIOR, but indeed last year I saw enough to think he could easily become a #2 guy, this year he IMO doesn't seem to know the offense as good? or a little lost a good play then wow 2 really bad plays not sure now if he is what at least I thought! In his defense the 2nd team Ol has not been good & he is playing with 2 & 3"S, They could be messing him up thus making him look bad? Probably both, but if he wants to make the practice squad let alone the 53 roster he will need to play better for sure!

38 passes, 1 int ...that was probably the receiver's fault for not finishing his pattern.  Can anyone name ANY QB for any team that has had worse protection?  He had two well thrown balls that receivers did not handle on Sunday.  The coaches have seen him all last year running the scout teams.

He may or may nor pan out.  He has had no chance to succeed with the line and receivers he has.  How would the other two have fared under those conditions...we don't know, but 1 int in 38 passes under heavy pressure probably says something to the coaching staff.  If he is waived, my bet is he will be picked up by another team.  The QB situation is pretty bad in a few places in the league. 

I'm sure the Colts would like to be able to free the roster spot but also want a scout team QB who can emulate both the passing and running of other teams.  And...it's a long way to picking the final 53.  No one knows what may change at this point. 

If nothing else, he can take the exhibition games punishment to keep the others healthy. 

38 passes, 1 int ...that was probably the receiver's fault for not finishing his pattern.  Can anyone name ANY QB for any team that has had worse protection?  He had two well thrown balls that receivers did not handle on Sunday.  The coaches have seen him all last year running the scout teams.

He may or may nor pan out.  He has had no chance to succeed with the line and receivers he has.  How would the other two have fared under those conditions...we don't know, but 1 int in 38 passes under heavy pressure probably says something to the coaching staff.  If he is waived, my bet is he will be picked up by another team.  The QB situation is pretty bad in a few places in the league. 

I'm sure the Colts would like to be able to free the roster spot but also want a scout team QB who can emulate both the passing and running of other teams.  And...it's a long way to picking the final 53.  No one knows what may change at this point. 

If nothing else, he can take the exhibition games punishment to keep the others healthy.

Fair points, but Harnish looked better under similar circumstances last season. He doesn't look like the same player this year.

And no matter how good or bad he looks, I never expected him to make the final roster, not once we signed Hasselbeck. I'd still put him on the practice squad, if he clears waivers, but he's not needed on the final 53. And with the way he's played so far, he doesn't really warrant a spot on the final 53. It's not even a tough decision at this point.

New offense and probably not getting a whole lot of reps to boot. Anyway , unless the Colts really think he's stinky , he'll be on the practice squad. They need him to run the scout team , plus they need a guy to activate in the event AL or MH goes down. It's fine to carry just 2 QB's but you have to have one on the PS. You don't "have to" but only an * wouldn't .

The last guy on a practice squad is just not that valuable and IMO Harnish is at least good enough to warrant that spot. If not , the Colts will end up with a QB on their practice squad that the original team did not want on their PS. Hope that makes sense... Really is a OK scenario that he has not played well so far. If he had played lights out , we would have maybe had to "protect him" and put on the 53 or cut and risk another team claiming him before we could add to the practice squad. No... I don't want to go down that road again. The Giants are in a situation somewhat like that. The difference would be that they have a 4th round investment in Ryan Nassib. Those that watched the 2nd half of our game can see that he's nowhere ready to be a back up QB. That would be a train wreck for sure. So now they have to carry him on the 53 man roster or probably lose him to a team that is rebuilding or needs a developmental type QB. My guess is they waste the roster spot.

Good topic. I was thinking about this last night as well. I don't think Harnish will make the team. Hasselbeck provides what we need and Harnish does not appear to be progressing. Our second team O-line did not do a bad job last night and Hasselbeck moved the ball well with them, except the one hit that led to an interception. I believe Rayford will make the team.

The NFL does have a minor league.  It's called the SEC.

While there is humor in your post, I'd say that the NFL surely could look into options.  Probably not worth the investment, but with Arena leagues and Canadian football, I see no reason why the NFL can't setup some scout teams of their own in smaller market areas.

It kinda works for baseball, and it'd give guys like Harnish a chance to prove something against their competition.  The only problem with the SEC is that players aren't going back there once they reach the NFL.  So it's adios.  The Canadian league is probably the closest thing they have to a minor league, but due to the differences of that league, there is probably some limit to how much NFL teams consider a guy unless he is really, really good.  I dunno, coming from Omaha, I would not at all mind seeing a farm team here.  Would sure be better than arena league stuff, IMO.

While there is humor in your post, I'd say that the NFL surely could look into options.  Probably not worth the investment, but with Arena leagues and Canadian football, I see no reason why the NFL can't setup some scout teams of their own in smaller market areas.

It kinda works for baseball, and it'd give guys like Harnish a chance to prove something against their competition.  The only problem with the SEC is that players aren't going back there once they reach the NFL.  So it's adios.  The Canadian league is probably the closest thing they have to a minor league, but due to the differences of that league, there is probably some limit to how much NFL teams consider a guy unless he is really, really good.  I dunno, coming from Omaha, I would not at all mind seeing a farm team here.  Would sure be better than arena league stuff, IMO.

I thought this was the point of NFL Europe back in the day? Shame it didn't stick as it was good idea on paper, kill two birds with one stone if you like. The idea of a 2nd tier seems logical, but no-one in the NFL seems to be pushing for it. 

I thought this was the point of NFL Europe back in the day? Shame it didn't stick as it was good idea on paper, kill two birds with one stone if you like. The idea of a 2nd tier seems logical, but no-one in the NFL seems to be pushing for it. 

Only problem with Europe is getting people to buy into the sport of American football.  That seemed to be the hitch there.

As for something here, I'd like to think it'd be more popular than arena league.  For me it sure would be.  And if you could have players being called up and dropped down, etc, would just add another dynamic to the sport.

Maybe that psycho chick from last year put some kind of hex on him

Look at the video again. I was told that Pam crowded his receiver and he stepped back just as the throw was released. It looks like the receiver is glued to Pam's back side. Kudos to Chandler for taking responsibility for it though. Classy guy!

A football team costs too much money to run to make a minor league team possible.  

No major sport to my knowledge requires as many players as an American football team.  

No major sport to my knowledge requires as expensive of gear as American football

No major sport to my knowledge has as serious of injuries as American football

No major sport to my knowledge requires as many different coaches as American football.

You will have to help me if I'm wrong on any of this because I don't know much about baseball.

Baseball requires 25 players to be paid per year.  Football, over 50 players to be paid.

Baseball requires some bats, some balls, and some uniforms and hats for each player.  None of this is nearly as expensive as the pads and helmets required for twice as many football players.

ACL tears are common injuries in football, how common are these in other sports?  Team has to pay for it's injuried player's medical bills

Football teams typically have like 9 coaches minimum.  HC, OC, DC, OL, Recievers, RB's, DL, LB, DB's.  That isn't to mention having dedicated TE coaches, QB coaches, Special teams coordinator and a strength and training coach.  All of these coaches have to be paid.

There is just too much extra costs to running a football team to make minor leagues workable.  If you want to make a profit with an American football team you have to have more revenues coming in.  It's unlikely a minor league team could make that kind of revenue. 

A football team costs too much money to run to make a minor league team possible.  

No major sport to my knowledge requires as many players as an American football team.  

No major sport to my knowledge requires as expensive of gear as American football

No major sport to my knowledge has as serious of injuries as American football

No major sport to my knowledge requires as many different coaches as American football.

You will have to help me if I'm wrong on any of this because I don't know much about baseball.

Baseball requires 25 players to be paid per year.  Football, over 50 players to be paid.

Baseball requires some bats, some balls, and some uniforms and hats for each player.  None of this is nearly as expensive as the pads and helmets required for twice as many football players.

ACL tears are common injuries in football, how common are these in other sports?  Team has to pay for it's injuried player's medical bills

Football teams typically have like 9 coaches minimum.  HC, OC, DC, OL, Recievers, RB's, DL, LB, DB's.  That isn't to mention having dedicated TE coaches, QB coaches, Special teams coordinator and a strength and training coach.  All of these coaches have to be paid.

There is just too much extra costs to running a football team to make minor leagues workable.  If you want to make a profit with an American football team you have to have more revenues coming in.  It's unlikely a minor league team could make that kind of revenue. 

Are there more expenses?  Sure, but many of those can be offset.

Most players in such a league could be paid a measly $20k or so.  Maybe a hair more, but by and large, I am sure they could fill a team paying that much by giving players a longer chance to prove their worth to pro teams.  If every player made that much, you'd be looking at a 53 man roster that costs a grand total just over 1 million dollars.

Pads and gear can likely be re-used a great deal, but in the event that it isn't, I'd suspect no more than $1000 per player, for a grand total of $53k.

Medical bills?  I doubt these players would be seeing Dr. James Andrews.  While surgeries are sure to be expensive, I'd like to think that, with the lesser quality of players, you're going to have lesser big hits, and therefor lesser injuries.  There'd be some expense here, but nothing terrible I wouldnt' suspect.

In the end, would this be profitable?  Who knows.  Arena league players make $400 a game.  If it's priced right, you could get a good number of fans in the stands.  And players would be doing whatever they could to stand out to move up to the pros.

While all of your points make sense, you have to realize that, on a smaller scale and market, all of the costs relative to the NFL go way down for their farm teams.

Are there more expenses?  Sure, but many of those can be offset.

Most players in such a league could be paid a measly $20k or so.  Maybe a hair more, but by and large, I am sure they could fill a team paying that much by giving players a longer chance to prove their worth to pro teams.  If every player made that much, you'd be looking at a 53 man roster that costs a grand total just over 1 million dollars.

Pads and gear can likely be re-used a great deal, but in the event that it isn't, I'd suspect no more than $1000 per player, for a grand total of $53k.

Medical bills?  I doubt these players would be seeing Dr. James Andrews.  While surgeries are sure to be expensive, I'd like to think that, with the lesser quality of players, you're going to have lesser big hits, and therefor lesser injuries.  There'd be some expense here, but nothing terrible I wouldnt' suspect.

In the end, would this be profitable?  Who knows.  Arena league players make $400 a game.  If it's priced right, you could get a good number of fans in the stands.  And players would be doing whatever they could to stand out to move up to the pros.

While all of your points make sense, you have to realize that, on a smaller scale and market, all of the costs relative to the NFL go way down for their farm teams.

Arena league teams also have smaller rosters.  This reduces the number of players, reduces the number of coaches and reduces the amount of equipment.  

I'm not sure the lesser quality of players is going to make for less injuries?  Are these injuries any less common in college football?  And a minor league pro team would probably be at least as good if not better then your typical FBS teams.

As far as the pay, I think minor league baseball players earn that kind of pay too.  Point is that you are still paying for twice as many people.

On top of that we havn't even discussed the number of coaches necessary that have to be paid.  

Pads and helmets might be able to be re-used but you have to make sure everyone on the team has pads and helmets that fit their specific size.  For instance I know that helmets are less effective if they are not sized correctly.

I still think that if you want to have a professional, even a minor league American football team you are gonna have to have some serious revenues coming in, probably requiring TV revenues.  

How often do minor league baseball teams appear on TV?  I've never seen the South Bend Silverhawks listed on TV.  

On top of that minor league baseball doesn't have to compete very much against college baseball since for some reason that I don't understand college baseball isn't very popular.  

College Football on the other hand fills stadiums are often just as big if not bigger then NFL stadiums.  My own Iowa Hawkeyes a team that will likely never win a National title routinely fill their 72,000 seat stadium which is larger then all but 12 NFL stadiums.  To say nothing of Michigan Stadium for example which exceeds the capacity of the largest NFL stadium by over 25,000 people.     

This also becomes a problem. . . when are you going to play your games.  You obviously don't want to compete with the NFL, so no Thursday night games, no games on Sunday, and no Monday night games.  You also don't want to compete with FBS football, so no Saturday games.  And you probably don't want to compete with local high school football, so no Friday night games.  

That essentially leaves Tuesday and Wednesday as the only days to play without competing with more established leagues and fan bases.  Again minor league baseball doesn't have to concern itself a great deal with college baseball as very few of those games are even televised.  

There are just so many obstacles to minor league football that it would make it very difficult to run without losing money on it.  Which is why so many leagues have tried and failed.

Arena league teams also have smaller rosters.  This reduces the number of players, reduces the number of coaches and reduces the amount of equipment.  

I'm not sure the lesser quality of players is going to make for less injuries?  Are these injuries any less common in college football?  And a minor league pro team would probably be at least as good if not better then your typical FBS teams.

As far as the pay, I think minor league baseball players earn that kind of pay too.  Point is that you are still paying for twice as many people.

On top of that we havn't even discussed the number of coaches necessary that have to be paid.  

Pads and helmets might be able to be re-used but you have to make sure everyone on the team has pads and helmets that fit their specific size.  For instance I know that helmets are less effective if they are not sized correctly.

I still think that if you want to have a professional, even a minor league American football team you are gonna have to have some serious revenues coming in, probably requiring TV revenues.  

How often do minor league baseball teams appear on TV?  I've never seen the South Bend Silverhawks listed on TV.  

On top of that minor league baseball doesn't have to compete very much against college baseball since for some reason that I don't understand college baseball isn't very popular.  

College Football on the other hand fills stadiums are often just as big if not bigger then NFL stadiums.  My own Iowa Hawkeyes a team that will likely never win a National title routinely fill their 72,000 seat stadium which is larger then all but 12 NFL stadiums.  To say nothing of Michigan Stadium for example which exceeds the capacity of the largest NFL stadium by over 25,000 people.     

This also becomes a problem. . . when are you going to play your games.  You obviously don't want to compete with the NFL, so no Thursday night games, no games on Sunday, and no Monday night games.  You also don't want to compete with FBS football, so no Saturday games.  And you probably don't want to compete with local high school football, so no Friday night games.  

That essentially leaves Tuesday and Wednesday as the only days to play without competing with more established leagues and fan bases.  Again minor league baseball doesn't have to concern itself a great deal with college baseball as very few of those games are even televised.  

There are just so many obstacles to minor league football that it would make it very difficult to run without losing money on it.  Which is why so many leagues have tried and failed.

All good solid points.

As for coaches, I see that as being in the same scenario as players.  Guys hungry for an NFL opportunity.  They're going to get paid, at most, $50k or so, and regardless of that, they'll still be able to find people to do it.  OCs and DCs likely in the neighborhood of $30-40k.  

I don't recall farm team baseball being televised, but Omaha has the Stormchasers farm team, and they seem to do a fairly good job of staying around and generating revenue.  The just had a new stadium built, and many of the local businesses have "club" seats.  It isn't big, but it is something.

Honestly, i'd like to think some of the funding can come from the pro league.  Not a lot, but some.

All in all, it most likely won't work.  I just figure it is a much more viable option than NFL Europe.  I know what they want to do, but I just don't know how you compete internationally with soccer, which is played in all kinds of continents and countries.  About all that is needed to play soccer is a ball, and perhaps a couple posts.  Something everyone can acquire cheaply or free, which is especially important for less fortunate countries.

My only point is, for guys like Harnish, it would seem to be beneficial to give them a better opportunity to prove something.  While a farm team might be more pricey than a comparable setup in baseball, I still would figure they could get enough of a following.  I'd think Thursday nights would be a great time frame, as there is usually only one pro game, and most of these teams would be followed locally.

All good solid points.

As for coaches, I see that as being in the same scenario as players.  Guys hungry for an NFL opportunity.  They're going to get paid, at most, $50k or so, and regardless of that, they'll still be able to find people to do it.  OCs and DCs likely in the neighborhood of $30-40k.  

I don't recall farm team baseball being televised, but Omaha has the Stormchasers farm team, and they seem to do a fairly good job of staying around and generating revenue.  The just had a new stadium built, and many of the local businesses have "club" seats.  It isn't big, but it is something.

Honestly, i'd like to think some of the funding can come from the pro league.  Not a lot, but some.

All in all, it most likely won't work.  I just figure it is a much more viable option than NFL Europe.  I know what they want to do, but I just don't know how you compete internationally with soccer, which is played in all kinds of continents and countries.  About all that is needed to play soccer is a ball, and perhaps a couple posts.  Something everyone can acquire cheaply or free, which is especially important for less fortunate countries.

My only point is, for guys like Harnish, it would seem to be beneficial to give them a better opportunity to prove something.  While a farm team might be more pricey than a comparable setup in baseball, I still would figure they could get enough of a following.  I'd think Thursday nights would be a great time frame, as there is usually only one pro game, and most of these teams would be followed locally.

See the thing is that I think that is what the Arena League and the CFL is for.  Why would the NFL risk it's own money on a farm system when they have 2, one in the Arena's and one in Canada.  Most likely if Harnish fails out of the NFL he'd go up and play in Canada and if he did really well he'd get another shot in the NFL.

Arn't Thursday night games and Monday night games suppose to be something everyone is suppose to watch because the game is considered especially interesting, even for people who arn't fans of either team?

The payroll alone is likely looking at somewhere around 1.5 million for coaches, front office staff, and players.  And since it would be difficult to get on TV you have to make that all up in attendance.  Figure 16 games a year (also another problem, baseball can play more games in a year then football) then you have to make almost $100,000 a game just to cover salary of coaches and players.  Not to mention equipment, medical bills, typically money for renting the stadium, security, ushers, and concession people  Lets figure that at $125,000 per game.  (I honestly think it would be more)

So figure an attendance of 6,000 people which seems to be what the AAA teams are bringing in per game on average.  You would have to get about $21 per person in either ticket costs or concessions (Minus the cost of the product sold).  

You have to convince 6,000 people to spend a weeknight out watching minor league football and spending around $25 or more (depending on how much your concessions cost).  You also have to convince them that it's a better product then the AFL and more fun to watch minor league football in person then it is to watch Thursday night football on TV.  

Could it be done, I suppose, but it's not going to be easy.  The football marketplace is sort of saturated because of the popularity of college football, especially at the FBS level.  

Look at the video again. I was told that Pam crowded his receiver and he stepped back just as the throw was released. It looks like the receiver is glued to Pam's back side. Kudos to Chandler for taking responsibility for it though. Classy guy!

I don't think he was talking about Pam Oliver.  I think he was talking about that weird chick that put out that video interviewing to be Harnish's girlfriend about a year ago.

How about we calm down after seeing him in parts of 2 games? You're acting like you have a personal vendetta against him. If he lights in up in the next two games we'll see a ton of "HARNISH IS OUR SAVIOR" crap.

We've heard a lot of good about him at camp this year. Personally I would like to see him in a game situation with a first or second string offense rather than with guys who will likely be resuming their pizza delivery jobs in a few weeks, could make a huge difference.

What I dont like is some of these wr's trying to some how find a way to get a roser spot come the 2nd half have to deal with Harnish throwing them the ball........I mean seriously. if your a no name wr trying to make the team would you rather have Mr. Irrelavent throwing you the football or a 15 year vet in Matt Hasselbeck or even a #1 draft pick whos going to be a star in this league for years to come? Some of these guys have just not got there real shot in my opinion. I hope that changes, some of these wr's need to be put in....Let Wayne sit. we know he will be ready to play when it counts, Hilton to.

What I dont like is some of these wr's trying to some how find a way to get a roser spot come the 2nd half have to deal with Harnish throwing them the ball........I mean seriously. if your a no name wr trying to make the team would you rather have Mr. Irrelavent throwing you the football or a 15 year vet in Matt Hasselbeck or even a #1 draft pick whos going to be a star in this league for years to come? Some of these guys have just not got there real shot in my opinion. I hope that changes, some of these wr's need to be put in....Let Wayne sit. we know he will be ready to play when it counts, Hilton to.

Agreed, not being a man with good knowledge of TC would the 2nd/3rds get some reps with Luck to show what they can do?