Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two Games NO Touchdowns

GoColts8818

I know it's pre-season but the starting defense has now played two games on defense and yet to give up a touchdown. 

The defense still has some moments that make you shake your head and some bend don't break but all and all I think our defense is looking better as a whole. 

Our D has character. Manusky has quietly shown he can coach a D to achieve solid outings when needed. Now that Grigson brought in more talent, you can see them play with a short memory after giving up a bad play, enough experience with Landry, Bethea, Redding etc. and a good combination of youth too.

Our D gave up a lot of points last year in games but in games we won, when we had to tighten up, we were middle of league in 3rd down D and were a big reason why we got the stops we needed to let Andrew Luck do his 2 minute thing in close games.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I know it's pre-season but the starting defense has now played two games on defense and yet to give up a touchdown. 

The defense still has some moments that make you shake your head and some bend don't break but all and all I think our defense is looking better as a whole. 

That's without Freeman and Werner for one game, and Landry and Angerer for two.

I think Greg Toler will be a very good player over here and I expect him to have a very good year

I thought Toler was soft in coverage today. He made a great play on the interception, but I saw him lose his man several times, and his tackling wasn't great either.

Could say the same for the rest of the corners, too, aside from Vontae Davis. I don't remember him giving up anything.

So far, from my observation, it looks like its taking them a series or two to get settled in. After that they seem to get things clicking and all are on the same page for the most part. I'm REALLY liking the secondary. Toler was very impressive to me tonight. If this secondary can stay healthy I think they are going to be very hard to throw on. I know everyone is kind of disappointed or indifferent with the pass rush right now, but I believe they will be among one of the top blitzing teams in the league again. Why not? Rex Ryan was able to mask his pass rushing deficiencies a couple of years ago by being more aggressive with his front-7 because he knew his secondary could hold up. I think ours could do the same. With this secondary I think 5-6 guys going after the QB should be a given and I believe Pagano is going to throw everything and the kitchen sink at these offenses.

I still firmly believe that by the start of the 2nd quarter of the season, this defense is going to be one the tougher defenses to play against.

I thought Toler was soft in coverage today. He made a great play on the interception, but I saw him lose his man several times, and his tackling wasn't great either.

Could say the same for the rest of the corners, too, aside from Vontae Davis. I don't remember him giving up anything.

How does Toler usually play versus how he is supposed to play in this D. 

Does he usually give them padding and he is supposed to play tight man like V. Davis on the other side?  Never watched him play when he was in Arizona so idk what he normally looks like.  Or is Davis the lockdown side so the free safety and play over on Tolers side cause Toler is supposed to play zone-ish/ soft.  Cause i understand the soft stuff so he can jump routes, watching the QB more than focusing on the WR.  It is much like what C. Vaughn did last year.  He played back and jump routes cause he knew Bethea was back there.

I think Toler is playing soft to get the QB to target him. He plays risky, but I think he's doing that on his own. Sure, I have no doubts he's going to get burnt, but I'd much rather a player put himself in position to make plays rather than play way off the receiver and let the receiver dink and dunk him to death.

Buffalo scored on the first string 'D'

....I worry about the pass rush and the D-line

I think Toler is playing soft to get the QB to target him. He plays risky, but I think he's doing that on his own. Sure, I have no doubts he's going to get burnt, but I'd much rather a player put himself in position to make plays rather than play way off the receiver and let the receiver dink and dunk him to death.

Well, it could be the particular coverage called for by the defense.  Maybe Pagano and crew think he's better playing soft man while Davis is better at press man.  I think it's difficult to know, but I'd be willing to bet that Toler isn't doing his own thing.  That gets you benched pretty quickly, especially on the defensive side of the ball. 

I always like to point out that no matter how bad our D looked against the run last year, especially in the KC game, the D only gave up one TD a game for the last 4 games.

Like others have pointed out, that's without the upgrades.  On paper we should be better, but if we even maintain last year's ending performance, we should be pretty darn good.

You almost have me thinking you had Toler and Davis switched up. Davis completely missed on 2 tackles and didn't really defend any passes( was passed on a few times ). I noticed his guy was over thrown on 1 play and Davis took credit for it, that's about it.

You almost have me thinking you had Toler and Davis switched up. Davis completely missed on 2 tackles and didn't really defend any passes( was passed on a few times ). I noticed his guy was over thrown on 1 play and Davis took credit for it, that's about it.

I was focusing on the defensive front. But yeah, maybe I'm confused. I'll spend some time watching the secondary at some point.

I was focusing on the defensive front. But yeah, maybe I'm confused. I'll spend some time watching the secondary at some point.

To be honest, he looked like he wasn't even trying, maybe trying not to get hurt. He's better than that.