Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OMG McGlynn

Phil J

I get that but I imagine there will be many adjustment periods for the line throughout this season anyways, especially if the plan is to move rookies into the starting rotation soon. I'm willing to give Thomas and Castonzo more credit than to think neither can be as effective without the other. And in all honesty, I haven't been all that impressed with Thomas' ability to lead block when he pulls anyways. He'd be just as useful as our power guard. We've never seen Reitz on the right side before, but at the same time he is a better guard than McGlynn. Moving Thomas is the best option at this point. I understand continuity being a priority, but it's still early in the season. It won't shatter their limited chemistry.

Heck, the defending world champions completely shifted their line AT THE END OF THE YEAR last year, and became probably one of the best units over the final stretch of the regular and postseason. Moving one player won't collapse us

Thomas simply would not make a good power guard, best we can hope for at this point is Thornton to be the missing piece there or maybe Ijalana I think

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas simply would not make a good power guard, best we can hope for at this point is Thornton to be the missing piece there or maybe Ijalana I think

We're not looking for Thomas or Reitz to be Jhari Evans, we're just looking for someone who can go more than 3 snaps without being manhandled and knocked on his butt. We don't have room to be picky with McGlynn as a starter

We're not looking for Thomas or Reitz to be Jhari Evans, we're just looking for someone who can go more than 3 snaps without being manhandled and knocked on his butt. We don't have room to be picky with McGlynn as a starter

I think if they were better options they would be starting over McGlynn.  The coaches showed last night they aren't afraid to try new things they started Link over him.  Link wasn't any better and in fact was so bad they went back to McGlynn after one series.  I don't think they want to move Thomas because they think he's the answer where he's at so they don't want to make another hole.  For whatever reason this coaching staff doesn't seem as high on Reitz as the fans are.  Someone who is better at judging lineman would have to tell you why.  Maybe it's just the simple fact he seems to have real issues staying healthy.  I don't know because I like Reitz too. 

I know it's not what you want to hear but I think the Colts are starting McGlynn because right now he's the best of what they got.  Trust me, I have no issue with replacing him and I hope someone does prove themselves to be better.  I don't buy the idea that McGlynn is starting for another reason because it's Pagano who decides who starts not Grigson and Pagano has no ties to McGlynn.  On top of that Grigson and Pagano are going to keep or lose their jobs depending on if they win or lose games.  The best way to win games is to have a healthy Andrew Luck and the best way to have that is to protect him.  So it's in their best interest to start who they think is best. 

With that said I don't think the coaches are happy with McGlynn, again they showed it last night by starting Link over him.  I think they are looking for answers and I honestly think the injury to Thornton has disrupted the plan.  I think the plan was for Thornton to come in and compete with McGlynn for the job and if he proved to be better or at least in the ball park with McGlynn they would have started Thornton over him because it makes sense to let him develop and grow if he's at least in the ball park with McGlynn.  Again, Grigson elected to take the long term approach to fixing the line and it's probably not going to be 100% fixed this year.  I think everyone is aware McGlynn is not the answer but I am also not sure a one year player is the answer either.  if anything it could stunt the growth of a young guy you are trying to develop because it's probably going to be less snaps he can take.  So I know it's frustrating but I would stay patient with the line and trust our current GM of the Year and our runner up for Coach of the Year. 

I think if they were better options they would be starting over McGlynn. The coaches showed last night they aren't afraid to try new things they started Link over him. Link wasn't any better and in fact was so bad they went back to McGlynn after one series. I don't think they want to move Thomas because they think he's the answer where he's at so they don't want to make another hole. For whatever reason this coaching staff doesn't seem as high on Reitz as the fans are. Someone who is better at judging lineman would have to tell you why. Maybe it's just the simple fact he seems to have real issues staying healthy. I don't know because I like Reitz too.

I know it's not what you want to hear but I think the Colts are starting McGlynn because right now he's the best of what they got. Trust me, I have no issue with replacing him and I hope someone does prove themselves to be better. I don't buy the idea that McGlynn is starting for another reason because it's Pagano who decides who starts not Grigson and Pagano has no ties to McGlynn. On top of that Grigson and Pagano are going to keep or lose their jobs depending on if they win or lose games. The best way to win games is to have a healthy Andrew Luck and the best way to have that is to protect him. So it's in their best interest to start who they think is best.

With that said I don't think the coaches are happy with McGlynn, again they showed it last night by starting Link over him. I think they are looking for answers and I honestly think the injury to Thornton has disrupted the plan. I think the plan was for Thornton to come in and compete with McGlynn for the job and if he proved to be better or at least in the ball park with McGlynn they would have started Thornton over him because it makes sense to let him develop and grow if he's at least in the ball park with McGlynn. Again, Grigson elected to take the long term approach to fixing the line and it's probably not going to be 100% fixed this year. I think everyone is aware McGlynn is not the answer but I am also not sure a one year player is the answer either. if anything it could stunt the growth of a young guy you are trying to develop because it's probably going to be less snaps he can take. So I know it's frustrating but I would stay patient with the line and trust our current GM of the Year and our runner up for Coach of the Year.

Um, Link didn't start last night, McGlynn did. Link was in as a extra linemen on a few plays early. Maybe that's what you're referring to?

Um, Link didn't start last night, McGlynn did. Link was in as a extra linemen on a few plays early. Maybe that's what you're referring to?

Could be, I know I saw Link in there for a couple of plays on the first drive and didn't see McGlynn so I just took to be Link was in there for McGlynn and someone else followed that up in the game thread that it looked like Link was in there for McGlynn too. 

Could be, I know I saw Link in there for a couple of plays on the first drive and didn't see McGlynn so I just took to be Link was in there for McGlynn and someone else followed that up in the game thread that it looked like Link was in there for McGlynn too.

Na, he was lined up outside of Cherilus and McGlynn was in at guard still. They used 6 linemen on a few plays

Na, he was lined up outside of Cherilus and McGlynn was in at guard still. They used 6 linemen on a few plays

That's correct.  He came out on third down, which was that ugly delayed handoff.  I hate that play, Costanzo is dropping back as in pass protection, which draws the defender into the backfield.  It can only work if Costanzo then goes forward again and chips the DE enough for Ballard to get around him.

Not a great play to run in your own endzone.

Ijalana played 5 snaps vs Giants

He is somebody's doghouse if Sowell can get more snaps than him

does it say when he played those 5 snaps, if substitutions are not announced it gets difficult to know especially with O Linemen, I hate the cameras cut away from that

does it say when he played those 5 snaps, if substitutions are not announced it gets difficult to know especially with O Linemen, I hate the cameras cut away from that

I got it from Kyle Rodriguez, he said only time he got in was on the final drive

Ijalana played 5 snaps vs Giants

He is somebody's doghouse if Sowell can get more snaps than him

Yeah, you'd think he could get more than 5 snaps. That's why I honestly think this regime plays favorites sometimes. I just don't know what they're seeing in certain players that merits them getting the nod over other more talented players. I think McGlynn probably knows how to say the right things in front of important people and talks a big game. And I'm sure Grigson and company are eating it up

Yeah, you'd think he could get more than 5 snaps. That's why I honestly think this regime plays favorites sometimes. I just don't know what they're seeing in certain players that merits them getting the nod over other more talented players. I think McGlynn probably knows how to say the right things in front of important people and talks a big game. And I'm sure Grigson and company are eating it up

What has Ijalana ever shown other than a couple of decent quarters against Tampa where he was primarily going against another rookie? I get everyone, including me, wants Ijalana to be a good player, but nobody knows if he is or not.

What has Ijalana ever shown other than a couple of decent quarters against Tampa where he was primarily going against another rookie? I get everyone, including me, wants Ijalana to be a good player, but nobody knows if he is or not.

You're right. We don't know how good he is. We do, however, know how bad other players are. So much so to the point that it's become mind-boggling that other players haven't at least got a shot to unseat them. We'll never know until we give them a shot though. Maybe the coaches are just gun-shy and unwillling to give a 2nd or 3rd stringer an opportunity in a game unless they just absolutely blow them away in a practice. Who knows, really