Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ijalana ACL damage

IndyD4U

So sad. He looked decent when he was in there.

Maybe we really do need to look at our S&C coach. This is getting ridiculous.

Yep, I did start a new thread about the stats behind our defensive injuries. Our offensive injuries may not lag behind much, IMO.

I am superstitious (I admit) and never liked the move from Terre Haute to Anderson (first time since Manning's rookie year). Since then, it has been several first-times-since-Manning's-rookie-year (the INTs streak last year, and now this year, being 0-4 and all). Oh well, just had to throw it in there :).

This really is frustrating, kinda tickes me off that all these guys are getting injured... what in the world is happening... and its not even to say the injuries are like 2-3wks they're season ending..... The colts conditioning staff needs to be fired.

This really is frustrating, kinda tickes me off that all these guys are getting injured... what in the world is happening... and its not even to say the injuries are like 2-3wks they're season ending..... The colts conditioning staff needs to be fired.

Injuries across the NFL are up because of the lockout they have been saying that would be the case because of the lockout. Injuries stink but when you have a smaller team like we have it kinda comes with it.

Hopefully Ijalana recovers by next year I really liked what I saw out of him last night.

unbelievable. both lines in complete shambles. its all over.

vikes/fins better win some games soon, i would hate for us to get second or third pick. luck is coming here, no doubt now.

No, Luck isn't coming here. We will get first pick, but we won't draft Luck. No way in heck! Unless Manning retires before the draft...

Ijalana looked pretty good. It's a shame he suffered such an injury during his debut. Hopefully he's healthy for next season.

Lots of teams are losing guys to injuries this year. That's the danger of the lockout situation.

I sure hope Luck isn't coming here, btw. When Peyton returns healthy (which he will), we will have other areas in major need of addressing. Plus, we can land our next QB in another round/Draft. Cassel and Mallett have both shown that good QB's can be found later. Same with Aaron Rodgers. We don't need to spend $6 million a year to have a guy ride the pine for 3-4 years. He's a guy who will want to play immediately; not be a developmental project. Then we'll have to pick up his contract at the end anyway and spend even more on a guy who will have barely played beyond pre-season. No thank you.

We need to think DE and DT, because one spot is aging and the other is frequently injured.

We need to think WR, because again, it's a spot where our guys are aging and/or frequently injured.

We need to look at CB's because we're pretty thin there.

We need to think about TE, believe it or not, because Clark isn't getting any younger. Should we move to larger TE's a la New England?

We definitely could use another offensive linemen. Diem and Saturday could both be gone soon, and Linkenbach is, well, Linkenbach. If Ijalana gets healthy, he'll likely take over the RG or RT position, in which case, one spot will still remain vacant (in terms of high-quality talent).

These things will all make the team immediately better and/or deeper. Luck would just be a superfluous pick.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty common situation with many NFL teams. The Patriots are going through the same situation.

Ijalana looked pretty good. It's a shame he suffered such an injury during his debut. Hopefully he's healthy for next season.

Lots of teams are losing guys to injuries this year. That's the danger of the lockout situation.

I sure hope Luck isn't coming here, btw. When Peyton returns healthy (which he will), we will have other areas in major need of addressing. Plus, we can land our next QB in another round/Draft. Cassel and Mallett have both shown that good QB's can be found later. Same with Aaron Rodgers. We don't need to spend $6 million a year to have a guy ride the pine for 3-4 years. He's a guy who will want to play immediately; not be a developmental project. Then we'll have to pick up his contract at the end anyway and spend even more on a guy who will have barely played beyond pre-season. No thank you.

We need to think DE and DT, because one spot is aging and the other is frequently injured.

We need to think WR, because again, it's a spot where our guys are aging and/or frequently injured.

We need to think about TE, believe it or not, because Clark isn't getting any younger. Should we move to larger TE's a la New England?

We definitely could use another offensive linemen. Diem and Saturday could both be gone soon, and Linkenbach is, well, Linkenbach. If Ijalana gets healthy, he'll likely take over the RG or RT position, in which case, one spot will still remain vacant (in terms of high-quality talent).

These things will all make the team immediately better and/or deeper. Luck would just be a superfluous pick.

+1 for posting greatness :D lol

Since you mentioned TE, I've felt for a while that if we could make some deals to acquire several extra picks, then Coby Fleener, TE of Stanford would definitely be worth a look. He is very Jason Whitten-esque.

Since you mentioned TE, I've felt for a while that if we could make some deals to acquire several extra picks, then Coby Fleener, TE of Stanford would definitely be worth a look. He is very Jason Whitten-esque.

I was thinking about this, and frankly wondering when you were going to make the argument. :yes:

It is, after all, THE logical extension of the argument that Luck derives tremendous benefit from having three large, talented TEs.

I like Tamme, but he's no Dallas Clark - and Dallas has been a huge part of our success for a very long time.

I was thinking about this, and frankly wondering when you were going to make the argument. :yes:

It is, after all, THE logical extension of the argument that Luck derives tremendous benefit from having three large, talented TEs.

I like Tamme, but he's no Dallas Clark - and Dallas has been a huge part of our success for a very long time.

Oh I've posed the suggestion a couple of times but can't remember what threads. lol

+1 for posting greatness :D lol

It's Jason Witten and seriously this injury "bug" is more like an injury plague.

I keep reading replies that say "when Manning returns", but I'm not convinced he will. There is no way he or the organization knew the injury was this bad and I don't think we've heard the whole truth about any of it. I want him back as much as anyone but I've got this gut feeling he may have taken his last snap.

Perhaps we release Caldwell, make Manning the interim coach for the remainder of the season, and if he can't return as quarterback, keep him as head coach. Whatcha' think? ;-)

I think it's crazy to think the Colts won't draft Luck given the opportunity. Peyton is coming to the end of his career and you have a potential to pick a franchise QB that is one of the best prospects since Manning himself. Guarantee you he will pick Luck or Landrey if they have the pick. Some people think Manning will come out and be 100% for 4-5 years, I give him 2-3 MAX. He could also could re aggrivate things if he takes a hard hit. Luck or Landry is a better bet than anything else, that's where I'd put my $.

Injuries across the NFL are up because of the lockout they have been saying that would be the case because of the lockout. Injuries stink but when you have a smaller team like we have it kinda comes with it.

Hopefully Ijalana recovers by next year I really liked what I saw out of him last night.

The colts however have had the most injuries on defense for for the past few years i believe, there was an article about it.. im a bit to lazy to go look for it but it was saying how there is no one to blame but the conditioning coaches definitely need to be scrutinized maybe they arent doing something right... .. the only other teams that are close to the colts on this would be the bengals...

Ben showed good potential really sucks he was injured, im sure he'll be ready for next season though.

Well, at least he was a backup, but I had high hopes for him starting. dang... smh... our team is just getting worse and worse. Collins is back at the helm, we're losing our O-line, we're losing our secondary, we have a horrible coach... things can't get worse.

we need a whole new team

The colts however have had the most injuries on defense for for the past few years i believe, there was an article about it.. im a bit to lazy to go look for it but it was saying how there is no one to blame but the conditioning coaches definitely need to be scrutinized maybe they arent doing something right... .. the only other teams that are close to the colts on this would be the bengals...

Ben showed good potential really sucks he was injured, im sure he'll be ready for next season though.

Again that's what happens when you also have one of the smallest if not the smallest defenses in the NFL. The little guys get beat up. You can argue that they need to get bigger and you might very well be right and I would say the Colts have made it a point to get bigger since Dungy left but you don't just change all those players in off-season.

Again that's what happens when you also have one of the smallest if not the smallest defenses in the NFL. The little guys get beat up. You can argue that they need to get bigger and you might very well be right and I would say the Colts have made it a point to get bigger since Dungy left but you don't just change all those players in off-season.

Just for the fun of it I just did a quick check and compared the starters for the Bears and Tampa, who run similar defense and our starters are equal in size or within 10 lbs at every starting position with the exception of Mathis. If you consider Anderson and Brayton instead of Freeney and Mathis then our DE's are bigger than either of those teams DE's.

I do think it's at least....interesting that the guys on defense who have been hurt so far are of the few remaining (minus Freeney and Mathis) who were brought in during Dungy's days. Brackett, Bullitt and Foster were all Dungy's guys, not Caldwell's. Take it for what it's worth and it's probably worth nothing but I do find it a bit....coincidental.

Just for the fun of it I just did a quick check and compared the starters for the Bears and Tampa, who run similar defense and our starters are equal in size or within 10 lbs at every starting position with the exception of Mathis. If you consider Anderson and Brayton instead of Freeney and Mathis then our DE's are bigger than either of those teams DE's.

I do think it's at least....interesting that the guys on defense who have been hurt so far are of the few remaining (minus Freeney and Mathis) who were brought in during Dungy's days. Brackett, Bullitt and Foster were all Dungy's guys, not Caldwell's. Take it for what it's worth and it's probably worth nothing but I do find it a bit....coincidental.

I don't coinsider them because they aren't the starters and Freeney and Mathis are healthy. 10 LBs is a lot when you coinsder Tampa and the Bears are smaller defense to start with. Marcus Howard was only something like 10 pounds lighter than Robert Mathis and clearly that 10 pounds means a world of difference.

The Colts have had some bad luck too. Like the Foster injury the best trianers in the world weren't going to prevent that. Samething with the Brackett injury that was a nasty fall. Nevis got taken out on a cheap shot. Trainers aren't going to prevent those kinda akward injuries. It's pretty clear Sanders is just an injury prone player and he sucked a lot of that injuried time in there.

I don't coinsider them because they aren't the starters and Freeney and Mathis are healthy. 10 LBs is a lot when you coinsder Tampa and the Bears are smaller defense to start with. Marcus Howard was only something like 10 pounds lighter than Robert Mathis and clearly that 10 pounds means a world of difference.

The Colts have had some bad luck too. Like the Foster injury the best trianers in the world weren't going to prevent that. Samething with the Brackett injury that was a nasty fall. Nevis got taken out on a cheap shot. Trainers aren't going to prevent those kinda akward injuries. It's pretty clear Sanders is just an injury prone player and he sucked a lot of that injuried time in there.

agreed....I was just trying to dispell the continuing myth that the Colts defense is so much smaller still than the rest of the league. :)

agreed....I was just trying to dispell the continuing myth that the Colts defense is so much smaller still than the rest of the league. :)

Well they are I think I saw stat the other day they are the smallest defense in the NFL. Like I said 10 pounds doesn't sound like much till you factor in you are comparing them to maybe the next two smallest defenses in the NFL. The Colts are little guys and little guys get beat up. That's part of it. Another part like I said has been simple bad luck and add in two or three injury prone players and you quickly see why the Colts are so beat up on defense all the time.

Like I said this is the same training staff that produced Peyton Manning's iron man streak (that was not ended by an injury he got in a game) and Reggie Wayne's ironman streak at WR. For the most part other than Gonzo, Addai and a hurt lineman here or there the offense doesn't have nearly the same injury issue that the defense does so I think the injury resides with more the guys on defesive side than it does the trainers.

Like I said this year is kinda a wash because of the lockout and injuries are up all over the NFL not just in Indy.

Strength & conditioning coaches can not prevent dislocated ankles or torn ACLs. In the game of football, there are things that can not be prevented, just like you can't prevent bad things from happening to you in life no matter how well prepared you are. If a bolt of lightening strikes you on the top of your head, having rubber boots on will probably not save you.

I keep reading replies that say "when Manning returns", but I'm not convinced he will. There is no way he or the organization knew the injury was this bad and I don't think we've heard the whole truth about any of it. I want him back as much as anyone but I've got this gut feeling he may have taken his last snap.

Perhaps we release Caldwell, make Manning the interim coach for the remainder of the season, and if he can't return as quarterback, keep him as head coach. Whatcha' think? ;-)

I like it, but I don't think Peyton is going into coaching when he retires. With his communicative skill and football knowledge, I see him going into TV work and I think he will get a plum assignment. I really don't think Peyton has finished playing, so let's put this on hold for now. I think Peyton and Jim Nantz are friends, maybe the headline CBS crew is Peyton's destiny.

Wow this is honestly the worst possible thing I could see happen. I pretty much knew this was going to be a tough year whenever they announced Peyton was out. The one upside that I wanted to see was our young guys getting experience to add depth to our team for next year. Ijalana showed up and performed when AC got injured on Monday. He hadn't practiced at LT all year, and he stepped in and showed a decent push. The one thing I hope Ijalana does while he is rehabbing is knee, is he continues to strengthen his upper body strength. If he does that while he is rehabbing, he can work on his foot speed once he has healed. I think until his foot speed is up to par once he has come back from his injury, he can still contribute at guard as opposed to RT. I hope all goes well for Ijalana and he comes back and contributes as soon as possible!