Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking For Playmakers

atapcl

Colts.com posted a topic yesterday saying our DC was looking for playmakers. He praised Drake Nevis as a player developing into someone who fits. We seem set with starters at ten spots on defense with one ILB up for grabs. None of the ILBs has stepped up yet. Angerer just got off of PUP. Sheppard and Conner played in the first preseason game but it seems neither wrestled away the starting position. McNary looked promising the first couple of days of practice but then tweaked a hamstring. Prime was cut once and brought back indicating he might just be needed for training camp. Harvey did not distinguish himself enough last year to start at ILB and he has been injured in camp this year, but he was sorely missed the first preseason game on STs. Harvey also contributed at FB last year. Loiseau did not play well in the first game but he only had a few days to get ready. Do we need another ILB or have these players not had enough time to develop?

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think all three will rotate in alongside Freeman.  Angerer should start if he's completely healthy, but the nod could go to Sheppard.  I see Conner and Angerer used on early downs, and if he doesn't start, I see Sheppard coming in on passing situations. He's the best in coverage of the three, and the best rusher.  Conner is almost exclusively a run defender, and Angerer is good but not great at run/pass D.  It might end up being Pagano just goes with the hot hand, but I like the idea of constantly rotating our 4 ILBs to keep everyone fresh. The 5th ILB spot, if we keep another, is anybody's guess.  We'll have to see who steps up in next couple of weeks.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hickman was the guy, I think. He looked very good on the inside, to me. Too bad he got hurt.

Yeah...he was my 5th ILB to make the roster. But now we'll have to see who steps up.  I could see them keeping just 4.  Since a couple of the candidates for that spot have been playing both inside and outside. Including McNary.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Our LB rotation is fine imo. Who the guy next to Freeman will be should be determined over the next 2-3 weeks

We have a great 4 man rotation, no one is quite on the level Freeman is, but the other 3 are very capable guys.  I vote for Angerer/Conner alongside Freeman on early downs and Sheppard with Freeman in passing situations.  I would go so far to say if we go to some nickel and dime packages with one ILB and an extra DB, I'd take out Freeman and put in Sheppard.

Playmakers on defense:

Robert Mathis

Vontae Davis

Laron Landry

Antoine Bethea

Cory Redding

Greg Toler

Darius Butler

That's how I see it so far

A very nice list TK.. I agree with all of them except C.Redding. He is more the consistant stopper to me, but even without him, this defense has a lot of playmakers!

I really expect us being top 5 in turnovers.

Playmakers on defense:

Robert Mathis

Vontae Davis

Laron Landry

Antoine Bethea

Cory Redding

Greg Toler

Darius Butler

That's how I see it so far

I don't think it takes long at all for Drake Nevis and Bjorn Werner to prove they belong on the list too.  If Nevis can stay healthy then he can provide a great interior pass rush.  Hopefully RJF can do the same but I haven't seen enough of him to say for sure that he'll be able to.  Werner, imo, is going to be a stud.  I think he'll be at least in consideration for DROY.

I also think Chapman and Franklin will make some great plays in run defense.  I'm also very intrigued to see if Hughes can get himself on this list as well.  I definitely think it's possible.  Sidbury is another one I'm intrigued about.  As a rotational pass rusher, I think he might be a sleeper for us. :)

I don't think it takes long at all for Drake Nevis and Bjorn Werner to prove they belong on the list too. If Nevis can stay healthy then he can provide a great interior pass rush. Hopefully RJF can do the same but I haven't seen enough of him to say for sure that he'll be able to. Werner, imo, is going to be a stud. I think he'll be at least in consideration for DROY.

I also think Chapman and Franklin will make some great plays in run defense. I'm also very intrigued to see if Hughes can get himself on this list as well. I definitely think it's possible. Sidbury is another one I'm intrigued about. As a rotational pass rusher, I think he might be a sleeper for us. :)

A very nice list TK.. I agree with all of them except C.Redding. He is more the consistant stopper to me, but even without him, this defense has a lot of playmakers!

I really expect us being top 5 in turnovers.

Well, I put Cory Redding cause his vocal leadership definitely brings the defense together. And while he's no Robert Mathis, he does have a knack for getting to the QB & stuffing the run when's he's on the field

Well, I put Cory Redding cause his vocal leadership definitely brings the defense together. And while he's no Robert Mathis, he does have a knack for getting to the QB & stuffing the run when's he's on the field

I agree with you on redding.  he had 2 sacks for us last year and I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 5-6 this year.  It's been a while since we've had interior defenders that can collapse the pocket.  I would love to see a 4 man front on passing downs of Werner - Nevis - Redding - Mathis.  Between these guys and subs like Sidbury, RJF, Matthews and hopefully Hughes comes along quickly and we have quite a few guys that could line up in a 4 man front and be able to provide a heck of a pass rush.  I was concerned about pass rush for a while but the more I think about it, I think our pass rush is going to be much better than expected, especially in nickel formations when we're in a 4 man front.

I agree with that description of him! But when you watch him you don't go "wow" or "dayum", and that is what I understand with playmakers.. Redding is a very, very important part of the defense, both in the locker-room and on the field, so this is in no way negative about him. I just feel like the other listed players get more opportunities to make you go "woa".

Hickman was the guy, I think. He looked very good on the inside, to me. Too bad he got hurt.

He was looking good sadly he was injured.He put on weight it looked like,next year he could be a DT lolhe looked huge

Nice..... but I'd add to that Jerrell Freeman and perhaps even Ricky Jean Francois and maybe even Josh Chapman....

Jerrell is just a solid player imo. Not a playmaker. The best play of his season last year was the pick 6 vs Chicago. I just see him as a solid player not much of a game changer. Just someone you could depend on to be in position to make the tackle or break up a pass.

Josh Chapman hasn't played a single down in a real NFL game so he's a unknown at this point. And while I do think he'll be good, I just seem him as a impact player, not a playmaker. I see him being immovable in the middle causing RB's to look for other options to run thus causing plays to break down.

RJF I know nothing about but based on his new motivation thanks to espn & forbes saying he's overpaid I can see him playing with a chip on his shoulder this season and making it on the "playmaker" list

That's just my opinion on the matter