Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting QB in wk5 chiefs Game: Painter or Collins (merge)

GoColts8818

If anyone watched that game last night and came away thinking Painter is a NFL QB wasn't watching ESPN last night. This season is lost, go with Collins maybe pick up a win or so then go draft Luck and have that position set for next decade or longer.

what? are you kidding?

He played better last night than Collins has all season. He missed some passes same as Collins, but he completed throws while not being able to step into them because the defense was all around him.

Curtis Painter gives this team the best chance to win, albeit it is only slightly better than Collins but it is still better.

The offense looked and was more the Colts tempo and not the kiddie version of the Colts offense that Collins has been running all season.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Collins was brought in as a stop-gap BEFORE Manning knew he needed (publicly) the 2nd surgery. The plan was to have a vet qb get us by till Mannnig could return, which was thought to be 4 games or so....Now things have obviously changed. Painter deserves to start, and played decently last night given the mish mash O line he had to work with, and a terrible D game plan. Collins was never meant to be the long term solution. Only someone with a lot of game experience and some success that could "captain the ship" until Manning came back (before it was known he had the 2nd procedure)

You have to be kidding me? Who reported this? Phil B? JMV? A fan? If it came from someone reptituble then the reaction below is warranted.

The offense actually looked like an offense last night and moved the ball. Sure Painter looked a bit rough at times, but that is what is going to happen to a young QB making his first start and under constant pressure because of a injury riddled OL.

If Collins gets the start my head might explode. Collins is washed up and there is much more upside to go with Painter. God forbid we see what the kid actually has and maybe we have our back up until Manning retires.

:nono2:

If it just someone saying they heard through someone that Collins is the probable starter then it probably just a bunch of bunk.

I really dont think it matters who starts for the rest of the season although I think Painter should get his opportunity he showed some signs last night. No matter who starts we will win some we looked better than I thought we were going to the last two weeks. However as has been said here we do need to draft the heir apparent and groom him so we can continue to be a successful franchise and not go throught the doormat phase that happens to so many teams. I sure hope we do the right thing.

Oh yeah and we should replace the coaching staff after this season, this staff just doesnt cut it.

I know nothing about the ownership situation, you sure Irsay is passing the franchise onto a son-in-law??

Yikes

What I have read I can't find, but I did find this.

Irsay has indicated that when current Colts starting quarterback Peyton Manning retires that Irsay himself will retire, with daughter Casey, who is currently a Vice President of the Indianapolis Colts and the wife of A. J. Foyt IV, succeeding him as Colts owner and CEO

Meh, talking heads say everything if you listen to them long enough. I'll wait for the final word from the team.

That is true, painter will be the starter... if collins comes in now the colts would commit suicide with some of their fan base lol... especially if they lost to the cheifs. Painter is gonna be the starter

FIRE CALDWELL

Can't really get behind all the Caldwell hate. Very good guy and, despite what many may think, extremely intelligent. I don't always agree with his in-game decision making but he doesn't make every call. He has staff in place to assist with many of the decisions we question. He didn't have the benefit of hand-picking every last one of them. You'll find Chris and Bill Polian's fingerprints all over the place. If the guy in the box (soon to be Tressell) doesn't tell Caldwell to challenge a play, more often than not, he doesn't challenge it. You've got to trust people to do what they're paid to do. A good manager delegates responsibility and holds his subordinates accountable for their respective role. I see Jim trying to do that but, unfortunately for him, he's been somewhat hamstrung by the organization. While I can't, in good conscience, say that Caldwell's hands are completely clean, I do believe he takes a lot of undo criticism from the media and fans alike.

FIRE CALDWELL

No no no. Not until we've sucked for Luck.

Here's what we need to do:

Suck for Luck. (In progress)

Hope the 49ers suck. (Not going so well)

Hope the 49ers fire Jim Harbaugh for sucking. (See above)

We as fans tell the 49ers that Caldwell is a great coach. He's been to a Super Bowl so he has to be great, right?

Hire Jim Harbaugh as Caldwell becomes the 49ers problem.

We then re-unite Luck with Harbaugh, and tell Harbaugh to get every little bit he can out of Manning and begin a new era of awesomeness.

You have to be kidding me? Who reported this? Phil B? JMV? A fan? If it came from someone reptituble then the reaction below is warranted.

The offense actually looked like an offense last night and moved the ball. Sure Painter looked a bit rough at times, but that is what is going to happen to a young QB making his first start and under constant pressure because of a injury riddled OL.

If Collins gets the start my head might explode. Collins is washed up and there is much more upside to go with Painter. God forbid we see what the kid actually has and maybe we have our back up until Manning retires.

:nono2:

If it just someone saying they heard through someone that Collins is the probable starter then it probably just a bunch of bunk.

What upside? Really he made 2 passes for TD's last night that were due to the speed of the WR, not the arm of the QB. Painter was not a good college QB and never had NFL abilities. Yes Collins is not what he was, but he still brings more opportunity when he is given time in the pocket over Painter.

That is true, painter will be the starter... if collins comes in now the colts would commit suicide with some of their fan base lol... especially if they lost to the cheifs. Painter is gonna be the starter

Commit suicide with their fan base? Really?

Wow, a few losses and everyone gets so bent out of shape about nothing. Did anyone happen to read the media release for the Bucs game? Guess who is listed as the probable starter... Collins. Did Collins start the game? It's the same list of probable starters as before the first game. They update the "comments" about the starters but the only starters they have changed are Brackett and Bullitt after they were put on IR. Heck, Brackett and Bullitt were listed as probable starters in the Bucs media release on the same day they were IR'd.

What upside?

Being a reliable back-up with real experience for us for years to come?

Yes Collins is not what he was, but he still brings more opportunity when he is given time in the pocket over Painter.

What pocket? What is this pocket you speak of?

Being a reliable back-up with real experience for us for years to come?

What pocket? What is this pocket you speak of?

Painter isn't NFL material, I am unsure how the coaches don't see that but he isn't, he wasn't even a grade A or high B college QB. As for the pocket, that is the job of the offensive, no QB can operate without it.

Painter isn't NFL material, I am unsure how the coaches don't see that but he isn't, he wasn't even a grade A or high B college QB. As for the pocket, that is the job of the offensive, no QB can operate without it.

The only way we're going to get a pocket is if Linkenbach forgets and walks onto the field with a Hot Pocket stuffed down his tights.

Listen, who cares if Collins starts. If we have a make shift oline like last night he will be in traction 4 plays into the game. Then Painter will come in and since he has a quicker release and is younger than Collins he may make it a qtr. or so before he's laid up in the hospital. Then Orlovsky and so on.

I think that, save for a few throws, Painter looked pretty bad out there. That being said, though, he looked better than Collins has looked.

I now think the Colts are screwed for this year, regardless of which of them start. I think it makes more sense to get the real backup some playing time, though, so for that reason, at this point I would just go with Painter to get him more experience and maybe he can actually develop into a viable stop gap backup.

Assuming Manning will come back healthy next year (and a couple years after that), I would not want the Colts squandering a premium first round pick on a QB. I'd want their high picks used to shore up other parts of the team to better help immediate (next couple of years) Super Bowl aspirations. I would only go QB if Manning has only two or less years left.

Commit suicide with their fan base? Really?

Lol have you not seen some of the emo ppl on here? you dont think the ppl who own tickets and paid so much money for them will be peeved? i know i would be with some of the decisions the FO are making..

Well....ya gotta admit....Irsay certainly made a few shekels having a marquee QB the last 13 years. If you're right about him wanting Luck, then that is probably his angle.

All that aside....Painter should start the rest of the season.

The Kerry Collins experiment was, I believe, an effort to see if we could weasel ourselves a fighting chance at a wildcard. It wasn't a terrible decision under the circumstances and we can't really fault Collins too much....but it has failed.

Curtis deserves to play out the remaining games.

Couldn't agree with you more. I liked the idea of them bringing Collins in, and I thought it was good to give him a few weeks to try to figure out the offense, but after seeing that he didn't really improve at all in the first 3 games, and that Painter actually did much better than I expected, I think we should definitely stick with Painter. He knows the offense much better, moves better, and I thought controlled the offense a lot better than Collins did. Nothing against Collins, he was just put in an impossible situation. Never thought I'd say this (as I think so many of us are feeling right now) but I think Painter gives us the best chance to win.

I think that, save for a few throws, Painter looked pretty bad out there. That being said, though, he looked better than Collins has looked.

I now think the Colts are screwed for this year, regardless of which of them start. I think it makes more sense to get the real backup some playing time, though, so for that reason, at this point I would just go with Painter to get him more experience and maybe he can actually develop into a viable stop gap backup.

Assuming Manning will come back healthy next year (and a couple years after that), I would not want the Colts squandering a premium first round pick on a QB. I'd want their high picks used to shore up other parts of the team to better help immediate (next couple of years) Super Bowl aspirations. I would only go QB if Manning has only two or less years left.

Squandering a first round pick on a QB who might just be the next Peyton Manning and only comes around every decade or so? Sorry but if Luck is on the board when the Colts draft and they DON'T take him, this franchise is doomed for the following decade plus. People need to wake up, the Peyton years are over, it's time to begin moving towards your next franchise QB.

Painter deserves one more chance at home at least. Reggie should make a stink out of it this time too and I will be supporting him for sure this time on the Painter front if he does so.

One more chance?? He should have been penciled in as the starter for week 5 on the plane ride back to Indy. He played well.. I swear I think we have Ray Charles calling all of our plays and Stevie Wonder making all of the decisions on who plays and who we release. :cuss:

Wow, a few losses and everyone gets so bent out of shape about nothing. Did anyone happen to read the media release for the Bucs game? Guess who is listed as the probable starter... Collins. Did Collins start the game? It's the same list of probable starters as before the first game. They update the "comments" about the starters but the only starters they have changed are Brackett and Bullitt after they were put on IR. Heck, Brackett and Bullitt were listed as probable starters in the Bucs media release on the same day they were IR'd.

True, honestly I would be surprised if Painter didn't get significant play time. He was clearly better

Its stuff like this that causes fans to not even bother to watch. I will for now. But I won't tolerate much more of this.

I'm struggling to make sense of this.

Are we seriously going to keep playing people just because we're paying them?

Ima go out on a limb and predict a sweeping coaching regime change next season.

We can only hope for this ruksak!

Painter deserves one more chance at home at least. Reggie should make a stink out of it this time too and I will be supporting him for sure this time on the Painter front if he does so.

Reggie has already said his piece and made it known where he stands in regards to this. He shouldn't have to be the one to do it again. Time for someone else to say something. It would be nice if Peyton would go to bat for Painter here.

It's official, the fix is in. Polian is making a run at Luck.

That, or our front office is more incompetent than I thought.

At this point one can only hope that there is a conspiracy a foot for Luck, the thought of our coaching staff being this clueless just baffles the mind. I need an aspirin.

Reggie has already said his piece and made it known where he stands in regards to this. He shouldn't have to be the one to do it again. Time for someone else to say something. It would be nice if Peyton would go to bat for Painter here.

Here is an idea, players need to keep their mouths shut and do their job on the field...

If I was Reggie Wayne and Caldwell names Collins the starter I'd suit for every game, but in my street clothes. rotfl

Hey fine, I say go for it Reggie and when you are unemployed next year and working at Kmart then maybe you would reconsider...

This is setting a spark that will ignite the one !@#*! thing we don't need.....a division in the locker room.

Even more evidence of mismanagement. For 12 years, not once have we seen even a hint of a schism in our locker room.

Colts fans, place your head between your knees, cover the back of your head with your hands and prepare for impact.

Division in the locker room? Over what? Exactly what has Painter done? How many TD passes in his career has he thrown, how many teams has he led tot he playoffs and Superbowl? Division? Really?

Collins is listed as the likely starter for Sunday...

I got nothing...rip Caldwell all you would like for this one.

Why rip caldwell.

Most here say Polian "rules the roost" and makes ALL decisions.

Or perhaps Painter played too well and is risking us losing the Luck sweepstakes.

On a serious note, besides the two plays to garcon, Painter's #'s weren't that great.

Why rip caldwell.

Most here say Polian "rules the roost" and makes ALL decisions.

Or perhaps Painter played too well and is risking us losing the Luck sweepstakes.

On a serious note, besides the two plays to garcon, Painter's #'s weren't that great.

43% passing percentage is enough to prove he had an overall mediocre game. Was he better than Collins? Yes. Was he good? No.