Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Longer We Go Without A Win The Less I Think I Want One

18Manning

Is anyone else having mixed feelings about our games as we progress through the season? I'm not pulling for any of our opponents to win (doesn't make a difference anyway), but If we're going to (most likely) end up with a terrible record, why not have a record that ensures the number 1 pick in the draft? No team in the NFL will/should "lay down" and I don't endorse the idea. Again, I'm in no shape, form or fashion pulling for our opponents, but I don't get as upset about a loss right now as I have in years past.

I still get upset after a loss especially the last 2 weeks when I thought we should have won both of them. As the season progresses, I think that will linger away from my emotions, but some of these games I still believe we can win. I would love to see us beat Brady and the Patriots without Manning.

I still get upset after a loss especially the last 2 weeks when I thought we should have won both of them. As the season progresses, I think that will linger away from my emotions, but some of these games I still believe we can win. I would love to see us beat Brady and the Patriots without Manning.

I almost said in my original post, I would at least like to keep the games close. I'm not even sure how/what to feel about that either because as you pointed out we could have won a couple of the games. If I could pick 1 to win, it would be against New England.

Be careful. I started a thread just like this a couple of weeks ago and got blasted by Colts die hards. How dare I want the Colts to lose? It's not that I want them to lose but it is apparent especially now that we are not a playoff team so yeah I would rather finish 1-15 if that means securing a top draft spot. That's better than getting 6 wins or so and no silver lining. This has got to be hard to swallow for those players on the team that have been here for a long time and experienced mostly winning during those years.

For once, I will take the Polian stance :).

0-16 has been done before, we need to think ahead, so we are going to play hard to go 2-14 :) (the reverse of our 2009 season).

Personally, I get mad with every loss knowing we were in position to make plays. I can only imagine how mad the players can be when they watch film.

Be careful. I started a thread just like this a couple of weeks ago and got blasted by Colts die hards. How dare I want the Colts to lose? It's not that I want them to lose but it is apparent especially now that we are not a playoff team so yeah I would rather finish 1-15 if that means securing a top draft spot. That's better than getting 6 wins or so and no silver lining. This has got to be hard to swallow for those players on the team that have been here for a long time and experienced mostly winning during those years.

I was trying to be careful about how I worded this topic. That's why I said I have mixed emotions. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd put myself at a 10 as far as a Colts fan goes. I hate to admit it, but my weeks are often dictated (to an extent) on the outcome of our games. I had a 40th birthday party planned with 2 friends turning 40 as well right around the 2005 Playoffs. If you recall, that's when Vanderjagt missed a field goal and we lost to the Steelers. I was so upset about that loss, I did not attend my own birthday party.

I smell what you're stepping in. If it's a wasted season, a higher draft position makes us a better team long term going forward.

I'm not rooting for them to lose, but I'm no longer getting upset when they do.

This is just a bad team. All I ask for is that they go out and play as hard as they can.

What GUARANTEE does any draft pick offer? How many busts have you witnessed? No one lays down without ultimately getting run over.

No guarantee, but certainly more to choose from. I would hope it would be difficult to make a bad choice if you're one of the first to choose.

Even if we were at full strength and a SB favorite I don't let losses devastate me. It's not healthy. I decided a long time ago not to let a game outcome of any sport affect my well being. I'm still as big a fan as ever but I'm not out there playing and I can't control what goes on so why take it personally.

Did anyone else feel like crying as they watched Foster begging his team mates to keep fighting right after almost having his foot ripped from his leg. He and players like him is why I will keep rooting for them to win - but like you, I will not feel so terrble when we don't. I will not sell my season ticket like many of the other BAND WAGGONERS are doing. I will continue to go and root them on no matter what comes!!

GO COLTS!!!

Even if we were at full strength and a SB favorite I don't let losses devastate me. It's not healthy. I decided a long time ago not to let a game outcome of any sport affect my well being. I'm still as big a fan as ever but I'm not out there playing and I can't control what goes on so why take it personally.

It doesn't devastate me, but it has some affect. I'm sure you're correct about the not healthy part, but that's who I am. At the other end of the spectrum, one of the happiest nights of my life (top 3 behind getting married and my son's birth) was coming from behind to beat New England in the AFC Championship to advance to the Super Bowl. My wife and I were at that game. I WOULD NOT trade that experience for attending a Super Bowl. That night brought tears of joy to my eyes. I might feel low at times, but I get to feel an equal high as well. Nothing wrong with anyone that doesn't feel that way, and I'm not claiming to be a bigger fan, that's just who I am.

I feel the same way. I've given up on playoff hopes and Peyton coming back this year. Honestly I kinda want to lose to the Chiefs just so they have the tie-breaker (the bad end of the tie-breaker) come draft day if we have the same record. I am treating this season like a really long pre-season. I am hoping for no injuries and improvement from all of our young players. I find myself looking at individual matchups more than the team as a hole. I think we will win some games, but I think we will end up playing spoiler for a team or two which should be fun. The first half of the past two games the team has shown me something and that is what I like. I keep telling myself we are improving and we desperately need a QB...well guess who's coming back in 13 games :-)

Is anyone else having mixed feelings about our games as we progress through the season? I'm not pulling for any of our opponents to win (doesn't make a difference anyway), but If we're going to (most likely) end up with a terrible record, why not have a record that ensures the number 1 pick in the draft? No team in the NFL will/should "lay down" and I don't endorse the idea. Again, I'm in no shape, form or fashion pulling for our opponents, but I don't get as upset about a loss right now as I have in years past.

After it became clear there is zero chance at the playoffs I was thinking the same thing.My best case scenario is we look competitive,win a few games,but not enough to get out of position for Luck or Barkley.

I see both sides of this argument. On the one hand, you never want to see players give up and tank the season just so we get good draft picks. Also keep in mind that jobs can be at stake. If we go 2-14, Caldwell and a number of other coaches could lose their jobs and may not get hired elsewhere. I could also see the argument that Manning is nearing the end of this career and if we could draft Luck, let him get groomed by Manning for a few years, then unleash him, we could have something like Rodgers after Favre. I'm still undecided on this

Colts should be 2-2. The last two losses have been hard because those are the games they could have won. When they're getting their butts handed to them like the first two, a loss is expected and earned. Painter isn't looking as bad as he could, and maybe Colts will squeeze out a couple of wins. THROUGH THICK AND THIN!!!

The bad part is that the players don't have to give up to tank the season. Individually, they will play their hearts out because the want to win, but collectively, they are not very good. The TEAM has not collectively been very good for awhile now which is why we were so hit or miss in the playoffs. I am hoping that this season will give all of our young players some valuable experience for next year and I also hope that this season will enlighten the folks in the front office and force them to make some changes from top to bottom in the organization.

I smell what you're stepping in. If it's a wasted season, a higher draft position makes us a better team long term going forward.

I'm not rooting for them to lose, but I'm no longer getting upset when they do.

This is just a bad team. All I ask for is that they go out and play as hard as they can.

how does a high draft position make us a better team? how many UDFA's have we taken that pan out well? Now how mny 1st and 2nd round picks didn't(Brown,Hughes)?

how does a high draft position make us a better team? how many UDFA's have we taken that pan out well? Now how mny 1st and 2nd round picks didn't(Brown,Hughes)?

Not so much a "high draft" position/pick as the number 1 pick. Don't most number 1 picks work out (I don't know)? Our picks haven't been the greatest lately, but I think if we have THE number 1 pick or a pick near number 1, it would be difficult to choose badly.