Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coby Fleener

Holden89

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this topic, but I don't care! Also, I know he's been mentioned (bashed....) in other threads, but I don't think there is a thread devoted to him.

I thought Coby Fleener looked good. His routes were great, he was consistently open, and he blocked pretty well.  The play where he fumbled, he made a great jumping catch on a high pass from Luck.  Then he made a really good run after the catch.  Yes, he fumbled, but he also got crushed, AND sandwiched by two defenders.  Of course, he should have had better ball security, but whatever.  It happens.  I'd much rather him get chewed out about it NOW, than in week 9 of the regular season.

On the missed touchdown, I don't consider that a drop at all. He ran a perfect route, and beat his man pretty handily.  However, the defender recovered very well, and punched the ball out of his hands. That's just a great defensive play.  I know, I know, "Allen would have made that catch!!!"  Well, I doubt it, because most players in the NFL wont make a catch when it's punched out so squarely like that, and also, Allen probably wouldn't have been open on that play with that route anyway.  He doesn't have the speed Fleener does to beat his man with such little real-estate.

I really don't understand the flak Fleener gets at all....He had a fine rookie season last year.  Why is it his fault that Allen turned out to be a potential star? (I think Fleener can be as well....)  

Anyway... that's just how I feel about the Fleener situation.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Fleener, like the rest of the team, it is a work in progress.

This team is still a team rebuilding/retooling, it is still going to take some time to get all the parts working efficiently.

I think that last years success has spoiled some fans who want to see perfection NOW.

Progress, not perfection is a much better way of viewing this teams potential.

Personally, I see this team and the way it is being put together could possibly become the best ever, time will tell.

I totally agree with Holden. Fleener is going to be super, and he will have the breakout year we need barring injury!  We now have the best one/two punch in the NFL.

No he should not have fumbled....yes he could have held on in the endzone....but at the end of the day I want Coby Fleener on my football team.  He is a Colt and I am not trading him for any other TE in the league...let him get rolling in Pep's offense!!  I cannot wait!!

One thing I noticed was Fleener's head down long after the play.  That bothers me.  Shake it off...get out there and make plays!  Coby, you are going to be just fine!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass: !!!!

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this topic, but I don't care! Also, I know he's been mentioned (bashed....) in other threads, but I don't think there is a thread devoted to him.

I thought Coby Fleener looked good. His routes were great, he was consistently open, and he blocked pretty well.  The play where he fumbled, he made a great jumping catch on a high pass from Luck.  Then he made a really good run after the catch.  Yes, he fumbled, but he also got crushed, AND sandwiched by two defenders.  Of course, he should have had better ball security, but whatever.  It happens.  I'd much rather him get chewed out about it NOW, than in week 9 of the regular season.

On the missed touchdown, I don't consider that a drop at all. He ran a perfect route, and beat his man pretty handily.  However, the defender recovered very well, and punched the ball out of his hands. That's just a great defensive play.  I know, I know, "Allen would have made that catch!!!"  Well, I doubt it, because most players in the NFL wont make a catch when it's punched out so squarely like that, and also, Allen probably wouldn't have been open on that play with that route anyway.  He doesn't have the speed Fleener does to beat his man with such little real-estate.

I really don't understand the flak Fleener gets at all....He had a fine rookie season last year.  Why is it his fault that Allen turned out to be a potential star? (I think Fleener can be as well....)  

Anyway... that's just how I feel about the Fleener situation.

If I could like multiple times I would.  I totally agree. The fumble was bad but at the same time it wasn't terrible.  He should have started covering up the ball with both hands about a second sooner than he did and then that hopefully wouldn't have happened.  It was still a great defensive play as well with the lead defender getting his head/shoulder right on the ball.  It was just a really good play but hopefully covering the ball up sooner will help with preventing that in the future.

As for the TD...you explained it perfectly.  The only thing he could have done differently, as I believe it was Superman who pointed out in another thread, was to simply keep his arms outstretched and not try to pull the ball into his body.  However I would have to think that pulling the ball into your body is second nature for receivers and is done on instinct.  He also very well may not have seen the defender catch up and start his arm forward because Fleener was concentrating on the ball.  Can't see things that happen behind you.  

I was disappointed FOR Fleener, not by him.  I was disappointed for him because I knew those 2 plays were going to get blown WAY out of proportion and of course they were.  He's going to be a huge weapon for us going forward.  I'm just curious how many pro bowl appearances it will take before some people finally admit that drafting him wasn't a mistake. lol

The fumble was simply unacceptable. I see some making excuses saying he was blasted by 2 guys as if somehow that would make the fumble any less terrible. But if you actually watch the play, the guy who causes the fumble is the tackler directly in front of Fleener who he seen the whole time. The guy that comes in from the backside is not the one who caused it.  Just terrible ball security from Fleener, he had the ball in one arm the entire time.  The TD that was missed was not as blatant, but still needs to be caught if Fleener wants to be a great tight end. He has to secure the ball quicker.

Hopefully both of these plays will be taken by him as a learning experience.

Not the time to write him off as a bad player, he has too much potential.

With him and Allen there is so much upside to be seen, too early to pass judgement.

I see them as complementary players, not one in competition with the other.

As for the unacceptable comment, all players fumble, all players miss bringing in passes, not the end of the world.

I'm sure this will be addressed and corrected!

The fumble was simply unacceptable. I see some making excuses saying he was blasted by 2 guys as if somehow that would make the fumble any less terrible. But if you actually watch the play, the guy who causes the fumble is the tackler directly in front of Fleener who he seen the whole time. The guy that comes in from the backside is not the one who caused it.  Just terrible ball security from Fleener, he had the ball in one arm the entire time.  The TD that was missed was not as blatant, but still needs to be caught if Fleener wants to be a great tight end. He has to secure the ball quicker.

He may or may not cut-it for us but only time will tell. I think he can get better, but I don't think he'll be a Dallas Clark but that's what we need.  He doesn't have the hands like Allen (obviously) but he could work out as a 2nd stringer once his contract is up and he gets more of a pedestrian salary but by that time he might have held his head down one too many times and be relegated to a "known" pouter.

I totally agree with Holden. Fleener is going to be super, and he will have the breakout year we need barring injury!  We now have the best one/two punch in the NFL.

No he should not have fumbled....yes he could have held on in the endzone....but at the end of the day I want Coby Fleener on my football team.  He is a Colt and I am not trading him for any other TE in the league...let him get rolling in Pep's offense!!  I cannot wait!!

One thing I noticed was Fleener's head down long after the play.  That bothers me.  Shake it off...get out there and make plays!  Coby, you are going to be just fine!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass: !!!!

Plus he's never murdered anyone......that's good enough for me! lol 

I'm just curious how many pro bowl appearances it will take before some people finally admit that drafting him wasn't a mistake. lol

One would be a good start and would do it for me!!! :)

For all the years Dallas Clark was proficient on the receiving front, he has only 1 Pro Bowl appearance, if I remember correctly. Gates and Gonzalez being in the AFC then did hurt him and then came Gronk.

The AFC TE Pro Bowl candidates are going to be a smaller bunch than the NFC now with Hernandez and Pitta not playing, so it is there for the taking, IMO.

Fleener will be a problem for a lot of defenses barring any injuries. Which i guess leads to what i want to say. The one thing i noticed a few times last year is he doesn't really prepare for the collisions maybe it's just my view. I just think thats why he has been hurt last year and the fumble yesterday. many of the tackles he is involved in just look awkward at times. 

He may or may not cut-it for us but only time will tell. I think he can get better, but I don't think he'll be a Dallas Clark but that's what we need.  He doesn't have the hands like Allen (obviously) but he could work out as a 2nd stringer once his contract is up and he gets more of a pedestrian salary but by that time he might have held his head down one too many times and be relegated to a "known" pouter.

Maybe he can become a known sourface ala Peyton Manning.

This forum comes up with more nonsense.....

I think he looked good, it was the first preseason game and he was already over the place. The fumble and the possible missed TD were all exceptional defensive plays.

Keep in mind it's a new offensive scheme, it will take some time for everyone to get on the same page. I expect to see them play better and correct mistakes ect.

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of Fleener over the season.

He may or may not cut-it for us but only time will tell. I think he can get better, but I don't think he'll be a Dallas Clark but that's what we need. He doesn't have the hands like Allen (obviously) but he could work out as a 2nd stringer once his contract is up and he gets more of a pedestrian salary but by that time he might have held his head down one too many times and be relegated to a "known" pouter.

haha this forum is so reactionary sometimes.

One would be a good start and would do it for me!!! :)

For all the years Dallas Clark was proficient on the receiving front, he has only 1 Pro Bowl appearance, if I remember correctly. Gates and Gonzalez being in the AFC then did hurt him and then came Gronk.

The AFC TE Pro Bowl candidates are going to be a smaller bunch than the NFC now with Hernandez and Pitta not playing, so it is there for the taking, IMO.

I have a strong feeling that you won't have long to wait...well, depending on how the new pro bowl format works out. lol

I have a strong feeling that you won't have long to wait...well, depending on how the new pro bowl format works out. lol

I'd be glad if Fleener proved his doubters wrong, including me. :) 

That is something I will take great delight in because it just can't be bad for the Colts if that happens!!!

I'd be the first one here to say he proved me wrong.

Fumbles happen in the NFL. Luck had 5 fumbles last season but I don't see anyone blasting him. What I can't understand is who everyone is so down on Fleener. It has become a huge issue for no cause. It was the larger part of the fan base that had Fleener being the best thing since sliced bread when he was picked at #2. Last season he was a rookie, got injured and did not benefit from Arians offensive calls. Luck was force feeding Wayne so all of the other receivers didn't put up great numbers. Allen benefited from being Lucks safety dump off. Fleeners route running did not put him in that position. If all of the Colt players received the negativity that Fleener does we wouldn't have a team left. 

Pedestrian salary?  He is in the 2nd year of a rookie contract. It don't get any cheaper than that. We have not seen enough of Fleener to say that he don't have good hands. 2nd stringer?  Jeez.

If I could like multiple times I would.  I totally agree. The fumble was bad but at the same time it wasn't terrible.  He should have started covering up the ball with both hands about a second sooner than he did and then that hopefully wouldn't have happened.  It was still a great defensive play as well with the lead defender getting his head/shoulder right on the ball.  It was just a really good play but hopefully covering the ball up sooner will help with preventing that in the future.

As for the TD...you explained it perfectly.  The only thing he could have done differently, as I believe it was Superman who pointed out in another thread, was to simply keep his arms outstretched and not try to pull the ball into his body.  However I would have to think that pulling the ball into your body is second nature for receivers and is done on instinct.  He also very well may not have seen the defender catch up and start his arm forward because Fleener was concentrating on the ball.  Can't see things that happen behind you.  

I was disappointed FOR Fleener, not by him.  I was disappointed for him because I knew those 2 plays were going to get blown WAY out of proportion and of course they were.  He's going to be a huge weapon for us going forward.  I'm just curious how many pro bowl appearances it will take before some people finally admit that drafting him wasn't a mistake. lol

I couldn't have said it any better than you did. 

Your expectations are unacceptable everyone makes mistakes.

Your expectations are unacceptable everyone makes mistakes.

My expectations are unacceptable because i would like to see a ball carrier secure the ball properly as he prepares to take on a tackler?

What is unacceptable about it?  You think the coaching staff felt good about how he fumbled that ball away too? 

Fumbles happen in the NFL. Luck had 5 fumbles last season but I don't see anyone blasting him. What I can't understand is who everyone is so down on Fleener. It has become a huge issue for no cause. It was the larger part of the fan base that had Fleener being the best thing since sliced bread when he was picked at #2. Last season he was a rookie, got injured and did not benefit from Arians offensive calls. Luck was force feeding Wayne so all of the other receivers didn't put up great numbers. Allen benefited from being Lucks safety dump off. Fleeners route running did not put him in that position. If all of the Colt players received the negativity that Fleener does we wouldn't have a team left. 

How many times did Luck handle the ball last year?  Not really fair to compare the 2 situations, especially with Luck taking so many blindsided shots where he really had no chance thanks to the O line. Luck also made a pro bowl last year, did Fleener?

Fleener had nobody to blame for his poor season last year but himself.  You claim so many people are down on him, i will say just as many if not more love making excuses for the guy.  It wasn't Arian's fault that he had trouble getting open and then had trouble with drops when he did get open. As for being in love with where he was picked, i was neutral on it. I didn't love it and i didn't hate it.  I think he has the potential to be very very good, i also question his toughness however. Some of the complaints he is getting today is because those are some of the things he struggled with last season as well.  Mainly holding onto the football, especially in traffic. It was only one game so plenty of time to improve, but i don't think the question marks are unreasonable at this point.  I can guarantee if that had been a regular season game yesterday though that the criticism would be much much worse.  Those were big plays.

Did Fleener have to jump so high for the pass from Luck because he was off route? Or was that a bad Luck pass? Oh my, if it was a bad Luck pass then "off with his head" .. might as well be the same penalty for every player that makes a preseason mistake,hmmm?  I feel bad for Fleener, that was a great catch, a great run, shook off two defenders, then FUMBLE. I watched it super slowmo twice, it was a pretty intense crunch in just the right spot to loosen, then defender number two swipes it and the ball is on it's way to the ground from there. Unfortunate. I'm glad he wasn't hurt cuz in slowmo his neck did funny bends. OUCH!

Pedestrian salary?  He is in the 2nd year of a rookie contract. It don't get any cheaper than that. We have not seen enough of Fleener to say that he don't have good hands. 2nd stringer?  Jeez.

No, all I'm saying is that players that become ball droppers or are known ball droppers end up in 2nd string city.  Alligator arms, not sure yet.... a lot of people on here used that term a lot last year.  Let's just say what he does is NOT media friendly (fumble, drop sure TD passes, drop easy catches), he also showed a bit of injury susceptibility. Look, I think the kid could be a keeper, but he's got to change his ways.  He's got to be able to take really big hits - he is a big target on the defenses radar so he is going to get punished pretty good.  Is there a process to inject DNA into the hands of Fleener from a donor party such as let's say Marvin Harrison?  They did some pretty amazing things in the movie "Splice",

My expectations are unacceptable because i would like to see a ball carrier secure the ball properly as he prepares to take on a tackler?

What is unacceptable about it?  You think the coaching staff felt good about how he fumbled that ball away too? 

Your expectations are unacceptable in thinking that it's unacceptable for a player to never make a mistake.  Fumbles happen, they're part of the game. Yes, there are things Fleener can do to help correct the issue but sometimes the defense just makes a great play.  No I don't expect the coaches to be all giddy over the way that play ended and I'm sure they'll work with Fleener to show him how to prevent it from happening again.  However, I do not think a single member of the coaching staff would say "Fleener, that was unacceptable!"...which is pretty much exactly what you did.  

FYI, Allen had a fumble last year...Fleener did not.  

I wasn't concerned about Fleener's fumble he can always work on ball security.  I was very impressed of how well he was separating from his defenders, he's too fast for LB's and too big for safeties. What separates a good player from a great player is confidence. Once he stops worrying about getting hit and let his natural ability take over and just play football, he'll be the best TE in the league.

hahahahaha... get out there and show us how it's done then...