Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SW1 Leaves His Impressions of the 2013 NFL HOF Class...

southwest1

The hallowed of Canton Ohio is officially when the new season starts for me. Legendary LBs, DTs, WRs, HC's, & left tackles means that football is back. But, before we can start anew, we must honor the latest men who left their imprint on the field & could not be ignored. A common theme was consistent in all the speeches. Humble beginning, never forgetting where you came from, thanking mothers, siblings, high school coaches, college coaches, wives, father figures, & mentors they never had growing up in the projects. 

1. Jonathan Ogden - Offensive Tackle; Baltimore Ravens (1996-2007); 11 x Pro Bowl, 10 x All Pro First Team, Super Bowl XXXV Champion

2. Dave Robinson - Linebacker/Place Kicker; Green Bay Packers (1963-1972), Washington Redskins (1973-1974); 3 x Pro Bowl, 3 x All Pro First Team, 3 x NFL Champion (1965, 1966, 1967), Super Bowl I and II Champion

3. Larry Allen - Guard; Dallas Cowboys (1994-2005), San Francisco 49ers (2006-2007); 11 x Pro Bowl, 7 x All Pro First Team; Super Bowl XXX Champion

4. Bill Parcells - Head Coach; New York Giants (1983-1990), New England Patriots (1993-1996), New York Jets (1997-1999), Dallas Cowboys (2003-2006); 2 x AP Coach of the Year; Super Bowl XXI and XXV Champion

5. Curley Culp - Defensive Tackle; Kansas City Chiefs (1968-1974), Houston Oilers (1974-1980), Detroit Lions (1980-1981); 1 x AFL All Star, 5 x Pro Bowl, 1 x All Pro First Team; Super Bowl IV Champion

6. Warren Sapp - Defensive Tackle; Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1995-2003), Oakland Raiders (2004-2007); 7 x Pro Bowl, 6 x All Pro First Team; NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1999); Super Bowl XXXVII Champion

7. Cris Carter - Wide Receiver; Philadelphia Eagles (1987-1989), Minnesota Vikings (1990-2001), Miami Dolphins (2002); 8 x Pro Bowl, 2 x All Pro First Team; Walter Payton Man of the Year (1999)

I really liked head coach Bill Parcells speech which really surprised me. Why? Bill's gruff & loud demeanor shouting at Phil Simms & Lawrence Taylor on the sidelines wasn't real receptive to the kindness of humility he actually expressed on stage on August 4, 2013 in the evening. Mr. Parcells spoke glowingly about owners for Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, & Dolphins who allowed him enough patience & time to create a Playoff winning atmosphere. Bill even said that he was proud of his former assistant coaches & he still expected them to win a couple more championships. A direct shot of stern encouragement to Tom Couglin, Bill Belichick, & Sean Payton.

Bill's line about wanting his Hall Of Fame Bust to be placed near Lawrence Taylor's so that he could "keep an eye on him" was both funny & tragic considering his struggles with alcohol & illegal narcotics addiction including his attraction to life in the fast lane & loose women. Lastly, I kind of admired that Bill spoke about the pain & punishment of  NFL players...battered, bruised, & beaten down in agony hooked to IV's & laying in the plane aisles on the flight back who were in too much pain to sit in their seats without cramping up....sacrifice....

Warren Sapp...A smack talker who truly backed it up on the football field every single Sunday. He mentioned the influence of Tony Dungy, John Lynch, & Jon Gruden in Tampa, but he never mentioned Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre even once. Odd...The 2 of them had some epic battles at Lambeau Field. Plus, Warren's speech focused too heavily on his Miami Hurricanes days in college in my opinion. This is the NFL HOF not the college HOF Mr. Sapp, but he did mention Rich Einsen from NFL Network by name & since Rich is his broadcasting colleague & clever with snappy highlight reel comebacks, it seemed appropriate. 

SW1 isn't done yet more commentary to follow....

Okay, SW1 does despise the Dallas Cowboys with every fiber of my body, but even I have to admit that Larry Allen was one monster of a player on the o-line who was never manhandled by any other player except the "Minister Of Defense" Reggie White. Also, why does owner Jerry Jones cling to previous Championship Glory years so tightly like a python anyway? Eventually, you will run out of 1990's Lombardi recipients to live forever in the past win Jerry. I'm just saying...

It was definitely different to hear a new HOF inductee talk about courting his wife & knowing that a woman who cooked him 2 chickens & gave him "a 40 ounce" on their 1st romantic date was his soulmate. I gotta say that I've never heard love at 1st sight spoken like that before. Maybe it is true the key to a man's heart is through his stomach. Affection for another comes in more than 1 form I guess right? 

Larry spoke about waiting his turn in Dallas, being a professional, & knowing when to shut up, listen, & learn from SB Champions that came before him. I wish more rookies would do that. I also agree with him that Charles Haley needs to go into Canton ASAP. Okay, I can't praise the Dallas Cowboys anymore. Even SW1 has his limits.  haha

Cris Carter a WR for the Philadelphia Eagles & Minnesota Vikings got a little carried away wanting to thank almost everybody that crossed his path claiming that they were going into the NFL HOF with him & that they were a HOF individual too. But, given my interest in how a player validates & proves that their credentials for their HOF worthiness, Mr. Carter would be fascinating to see how the process really truly works.  I do appreciate though that Cris was brave enough to change his reckless behavior off the field once his son was born. It takes a strong man to change their behavior & be a real father to their son. Some men flee from responsibility & look the the quickest exit. Cris Carter did not. I respect & applaud that. Carter also acknowledged his struggles with alcohol abuse, his brotherly love for Reggie White, & his pride in his mother for getting her Master's degree at age 50.

I was surprised that he didn't mentioned 2 WR's he mentors once...Randy Moss & Larry Fitzgerald though. Is he proud of them & their evolution as players? He played a crucial role in their NFL development.

Jonathan Ogden, a beast of a left tackle who was almost an immovable force that make sure that no one touched QB Trent Dilfer on defense. Ogden mentioned LB Ray Lewis & HC Brian Billick. He also said that you can't talk about the history of the NFL without mentioning the great owner Art Modell. Um...Ask a Cleveland Browns fan or HC Bill Bellichick if Art Modell is a wonderful owner.  :facepalm:  You are aware that you are speaking in Ohio right?  :slaphead:

Jonathan Ogden was very complementary of his owner Steve Bisciotti who had a 2012 SB ring made specially for him. Why do that exactly? Mr. Ogden wasn't on the roster. He didn't really earn it. 

LB David Robinson, who played for the Packers & Redskins in the early 1960's & 1970's, made me LOL when he said that if HC Vince Lombardi stopped yelling at you be worried because you are about to be released..."He must love me then"...He yells at me all the time.  :lol:  :funny:  lmao

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Dave-Robinsons-Pro-Football-Hall-of-Fame-speech/5cc1279c-d14b-43f8-aad7-f8c168d67f6f

Nice work but when I first read the title I thought you were leaving SW1

haha No, PT my friend. I'm not going anywhere. I've had some family health issues to contend with lately [Mother related], but SW1 does appreciate your concern that I would be missed if I left this site. Thank you.  :hat: 

Curley Culp has a very nice & soothing speaking voice. He would be a marvelous narrator for books on tape & CDs. My grandmother Lois on my mother's side has vision problems & really enjoys listening to a good book regularly since she can't read gripping novels anymore. Plus, I love to see players on D get some respect & love. It always puts a smile on my face.   :thmup:

I've never really been an avid fan of the Kansas City Chiefs. I don't dislike them; I just have never viewed them as a serious threat in my own lifetime except when QB Joe Montana & HC Marty Schottenheimer were running the show there. Perhaps Andy Reid will change my opinion of Arrowhead Stadium again. Time will time. Hey, how come there is always controversy from American Indians groups over the Washington Redskins name but never the arrowhead helmet symbol in KC? I'm just curious...

Jonathan Ogden, a beast of a left tackle who was almost an immovable force that make sure that no one touched QB Trent Dilfer on defense. Ogden mentioned LB Ray Lewis & HC Brian Billick. He also said that you can't talk about the history of the NFL without mentioning the great owner Art Modell. Um...Ask a Cleveland Browns fan or HC Bill Bellichick if Art Modell is a wonderful owner.  :facepalm:  You are aware that you are speaking in Ohio right?  :slaphead:

Jonathan Ogden was very complementary of his owner Steve Bisciotti who had a 2012 SB ring made specially for him. Why do that exactly? Mr. Ogden wasn't on the roster. He didn't really earn it. 

LB David Robinson, who played for the Packers & Redskins in the early 1960's & 1970's, made me LOL when he said that if HC Vince Lombardi stopped yelling at you be worried because you are about to be released..."He must love me then"...He yells at me all the time.  :lol:  :funny:  lmao

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Dave-Robinsons-Pro-Football-Hall-of-Fame-speech/5cc1279c-d14b-43f8-aad7-f8c168d67f6f

Least we forget that Irsay had Edge James a super bowl ring made too!   :thmsup:

haha No, PT my friend. I'm not going anywhere. I've had some family health issues to contend with lately [Mother related], but SW1 does appreciate your concern that I would be missed if I left this site. Thank you.  :hat:

for me School has started and the activity during the week might be sporadic but will be here almost every weekend

Least we forget that Irsay had Edge James a super bowl ring made too!   :thmsup:

Good point CC1, but SW1 would apply this rule equally across the board. Unless an athlete is on the active roster the year the team wins the SB; they should not be awarded a ring IMO. Why? It's a slap in the face to all the teammates that actually crossed the  :lombardi: finish line. I would never make an exception to this rule of thumb personally. JMO. 

Every player must earn it by being on the roster, going to practice & unit meeting, memorizing the current playbook, & sweating on the field even if you are not a starter. 

Actually, I thought that he was shopping for new furniture to replace the ones he left deep impressions on... :D

Is that a polite way of saying that SW1 needs to step on a treadmill & get in shape? Just because I collect elephants as a hobby [figurines] it doesn't mean that I am one pal.  :lol:  :funny:  lmao  LOL! 

Tell your avatar Walter that's he's probably right. Sometimes, the truth ain't pretty right? I can laugh at myself from time to time buddy...

I get the fans of Ohio and Bellichick being mad at Modell for eternity. I even get why the fans and media in Ohio don't want Modell in the Hall of Fame. Why don't Colt fans understand this about Baltimore's feelings for Irsay ? All you are told is to get over it, or they've been here longer than in Baltimore. It's not that big of a deal anymore with the Ravens in Baltimore, but it seems there is selective thinking in some quarters.