Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Welker still yapping...talks about Manning not throwing to him

amfootball

The more Welker keeps talking this off-season, the happier I am that is no longer a Patriot. I wonder if the Broncs at some point will tell him to put a lid on it as it is Aug. 8 and he STILL has Belichick on his mind. He is very bitter yet he says he would only have played for the Pats or Broncos this season. lol.

Interesting note at the end that he says he is having a tough time running the seam route the way Manning wants because he was so used to it doing it one way for the Pats for six years. He says that if he does not run the route the way Manning wants then Manning won't throw it to him. Wondering if some issues are arising there?

http://www.boston.com/sports/2013/08/07/treatment-from-bill-belichick-contributed-wes-welker-departure/xubfw5SfY9GZlOT5Vx89sJ/story.html

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting note at the end that he says he is having a tough time running the seam route the way Manning wants because he was so used to it doing it one way for the Pats for six years. He says that if he does not run the route the way Manning wants then Manning won't throw it to him. Wondering if some issues are arising there?

The exact quote;

“In New England, if the middle of the field was closed, I’d run a seam route,” he said. “It’s something I’ve been doing for six years now, so I have to teach my brain to do it the way [Manning is] expecting me to do it. At the end of the day you run it the way he wants it, or he won’t throw it to you.”

............Sounds more like a critique of himself, needing to break old habits and adapt etc. I'm hoping his comment was one of respect and not one of dissension. 

The more Welker keeps talking this off-season, the happier I am that is no longer a Patriot. I wonder if the Broncs at some point will tell him to put a lid on it as it is Aug. 8 and he STILL has Belichick on his mind. He is very bitter yet he says he would only have played for the Pats or Broncos this season. lol.

http://www.boston.com/sports/2013/08/07/treatment-from-bill-belichick-contributed-wes-welker-departure/xubfw5SfY9GZlOT5Vx89sJ/story.html

Nice editorializing.

You sound like the bitter one. :)

Nice editorializing.

You sound like the bitter one. :)

This.

Wes had every right to be miffed with the way things were handled in NE.  Bellicheck basically tried to get him out of the lineup during his contract year.  Who the heck does that?

As for Wes' remarks, simply suggesting that he has to learn a new way to do things.  That happens when you go to a different team.

Of course he wont throw you the ball if you dont run the route the way he wants you to run it....Its a team sport, if your out of position that could lead to a pick or worse..a pick 6. At the end of the day I think that corresponding quote was just meant as a statement and not a harmful one...If it was.....well...... it will be 1 and done for Welker in Denver depending on the structure of the deal which I have not looked at with all of my own teams business going on

"and Welker said one of the reasons he left New England was because Bill Belichick “got on him in a way he never had before, admonishing him in front of the team,” wrote SI’s Chris Ballard.

“It was just kind of hard,” Welker said. “One of those deals where you have to endure him, put up with him . . . But he does it to everybody, it’s the way he is.”

Thats the quote that jumped out at me...I just dont think it needed to be said for 1 and 2. it does sound like a jab at Hoodie....I do agree that Welker needs to brush off questions about NE, That quote makes him sound soft,

The exact quote;

“In New England, if the middle of the field was closed, I’d run a seam route,” he said. “It’s something I’ve been doing for six years now, so I have to teach my brain to do it the way [Manning is] expecting me to do it. At the end of the day you run it the way he wants it, or he won’t throw it to you.”

............Sounds more like a critique of himself, needing to break old habits and adapt etc. I'm hoping his comment was one of respect and not one of dissension. 

all preseason Welker said he had to break habits of Pats routes to do way Broncos / Manning expects so can be on same page

Yep. I took Welker's comments as saying "I need to get on board". 

2 video back to back appear  when played to be same link

Reacting To Welker's Comments

Video reaction to comments , mostlly boston globe saying Belichick is not easy to play for & other players to like Chandler Jones mentioned seem to say it in measured allowed quantities as if every word monitored

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9548791&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

Welker reason for leaving

Boston Globe writer says also says Chemistry good with Peyton   and just need to get some words on BB off his chest

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9548791&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

Welker is not arranging Press Conferences to bash the Patriots and/or Belichick, in fact he only has good words about the Patriots. When he is asked a question regarding Belichick he responds truthfully... it amazes me how quick Pats fans are to cast-off any affiliation with a player who did a lot for them, as if Belichick could never get such a decision wrong.

Thats the quote that jumped out at me...I just dont think it needed to be said for 1 and 2. it does sound like a jab at Hoodie....I do agree that Welker needs to brush off questions about NE, That quote makes him sound soft,

Little surprising coming from a Leach guy. Hoodie is a cupcake compared to what Wes dealt with back in college.

This is natural........ ...Welker is different than Brandon Stokley, who Peyton played with many years..

Its like hitting a baseball pitcher throwing the same pitch...to 2 different hitters......

Wes is just telling the truth....a QB has to see you as open or he wont throw it to you and its a split second decision...

Manning had to go through this same learning process with Eric Decker and Demariyus Thomas in 2012 and it was rough for a couple of games

Of course he wont throw you the ball if you dont run the route the way he wants you to run it....Its a team sport, if your out of position that could lead to a pick or worse..a pick 6. At the end of the day I think that corresponding quote was just meant as a statement and not a harmful one...If it was.....well...... it will be 1 and done for Welker in Denver depending on the structure of the deal which I have not looked at with all of my own teams business going on

"and Welker said one of the reasons he left New England was because Bill Belichick “got on him in a way he never had before, admonishing him in front of the team,” wrote SI’s Chris Ballard.

“It was just kind of hard,” Welker said. “One of those deals where you have to endure him, put up with him . . . But he does it to everybody, it’s the way he is.”

Yeah, I agree. Very soft. If he is having difficulty learning the Broncs offense perhaps he should focus there instead of jabbing at Bill. He really did not say anything that is not already known about Bill. The guys is one tough coach and not every player can handle what he expects of him. What is interesting about this situation is that for six years Welker did everything Bill asked and became one of the best slot receivers so I am not sure why he is coming off as sour grapes. It is not like the Broncs are paying him a ton more than the Pats offered. And I would think Manning will be even harder on him to keep his mouth shut and focus on football than Bill ever was.

Welker is not arranging Press Conferences to bash the Patriots and/or Belichick, in fact he only has good words about the Patriots. When he is asked a question regarding Belichick he responds truthfully... it amazes me how quick Pats fans are to cast-off any affiliation with a player who did a lot for them, as if Belichick could never get such a decision wrong.

Most of the time Bill gets it right. Welker has been yapping all off-season which has surprised most Pats fans, myself included. He is obviously bitter whiich I get on one level but it has been months. Time to move on. Bill sure has.

Most of the time Bill gets it right. Welker has been yapping all off-season which has surprised most Pats fans, myself included. He is obviously bitter whiich I get on one level but it has been months. Time to move on. Bill sure has.

Funny how one WR is praised for running his mouth all offseason, and the other is condemned lol.

Wes and Manning are going to have many completions together barring injury. It's going to be interesting to see how and how much Manning uses him as apposed to Brady. Wes is a great football player but only became accomplished under Brady. Wes got into hot water with the Sexy Rexy foot thing. BB directly told the team to leave it alone and Wes threw up the middle finger. Wes determined is own fate.   

1. I don't think Welker went out of his way to talk about Belichick... pretty sure he was asked a question and tried to answer it. And I'm pretty sure that's how it's gone all off-season. He's not bringing New England up, he's just answering questions. Maybe he should stop or throttle it back, because if he does that, reporters will stop asking. If he keeps accommodating them, they'll keep asking.

2. I also wouldn't read into his comments about Manning not throwing to him. Not one bit. That's only natural for a veteran guy playing for a new team after being in one place for six years. I would say it's a stretch to say those comments indicate any sort of underlying issues with learning the offense or getting comfortable with his new QB.

3. All that said in defense of Welker... to me, this comes off as whiny. Bill Belichick is tough on his players? Wow, news flash there. I thought that was common knowledge, and that players knew they had to maintain a level of professionalism and mental toughness to play in New England. I've worked for bosses who were buddy-buddy with me, and I've worked for bosses who busted my cahones left and right. If I look back honestly, the bosses who pushed me harder got more out of me. And say what you will about how Belichick has his players handle the media, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Speaking in general...

Welker, I'm sure, has mixed feelings, hard feelings, etc. I know he is very, very tight with Brady. And I think on some level, he's got to realize that Belichick basically gave him the opportunity of a lifetime, and really put him on the proverbial map. I'm pretty sure that there's nowhere else Wes Welker could have played from 2007-2012 and gotten more notoriety, had more success, and gotten recognized as one of the top slot guys to ever play the game.

Funny how one WR is praised for running his mouth all offseason, and the other is condemned lol.

What on earth are you talking about?  Jennings? I never praised Jennings just the opposite. My point was that what he is saying about Rodgers bears merit because others have had similar issues. He has been told by Frasier to stop it and I would think Fox/Elway will be saying the same thing to Welker real soon ...

1. I don't think Welker went out of his way to talk about Belichick... pretty sure he was asked a question and tried to answer it. And I'm pretty sure that's how it's gone all off-season. He's not bringing New England up, he's just answering questions. Maybe he should stop or throttle it back, because if he does that, reporters will stop asking. If he keeps accommodating them, they'll keep asking.

2. I also wouldn't read into his comments about Manning not throwing to him. Not one bit. That's only natural for a veteran guy playing for a new team after being in one place for six years. I would say it's a stretch to say those comments indicate any sort of underlying issues with learning the offense or getting comfortable with his new QB.

3. All that said in defense of Welker... to me, this comes off as whiny. Bill Belichick is tough on his players? Wow, news flash there. I thought that was common knowledge, and that players knew they had to maintain a level of professionalism and mental toughness to play in New England. I've worked for bosses who were buddy-buddy with me, and I've worked for bosses who busted my cahones left and right. If I look back honestly, the bosses who pushed me harder got more out of me. And say what you will about how Belichick has his players handle the media, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Speaking in general...

Welker, I'm sure, has mixed feelings, hard feelings, etc. I know he is very, very tight with Brady. And I think on some level, he's got to realize that Belichick basically gave him the opportunity of a lifetime, and really put him on the proverbial map. I'm pretty sure that there's nowhere else Wes Welker could have played from 2007-2012 and gotten more notoriety, had more success, and gotten recognized as one of the top slot guys to ever play the game.

To your first point. Welker has to be smarter. He is going to get asked ALL season about the Pats and Bill. If he does not deflect better then this will become an issue on HIS team. And Manning/Fox will talk to him. For sure he is bitter but he is coming off as whinny as you say and unbelievably ungrateful to the org that made him one of the top receivers in the game.

What on earth are you talking about? Jennings? I never praised Jennings just the opposite. My point was that what he is saying about Rodgers bears merit because others have had similar issues. He has been told by Frasier to stop it and I would think Fox/Elway will be saying the same thing to Welker real soon ...

haha pretty nifty way to qualify the differences between the two situations.

Wes and Manning are going to have many completions together barring injury. It's going to be interesting to see how and how much Manning uses him as apposed to Brady. Wes is a great football player but only became accomplished under Brady. Wes got into hot water with the Sexy Rexy foot thing. BB directly told the team to leave it alone and Wes threw up the middle finger. Wes determined is own fate.   

if Peytons line doesnt hold up then wes will have alot of targets as Peyton will have to get rid of ball fast

If Line stabilizes and PM gets protection more evenly distributed and harder to defend

as Wes has said many times this offseasan he has to change his habits of running routs the Pats way once into a rout, he must remember Peyton likes me to do this in this situation, 

Repitiion and a few live games will hopefully clear that up

took awhile to get on page with Decker & DT

if Peytons line doesnt hold up then wes will have alot of targets as Peyton will have to get rid of ball fast

If Line stabilizes and PM gets protection more evenly distributed and harder to defend

as Wes has said many times this offseasan he has to change his habits of running routs the Pats way once into a rout, he must remember Peyton likes me to do this in this situation, 

Repitiion and a few live games will hopefully clear that up

took awhile to get on page with Decker & DT

Welker was nothing before Brady. It remains to be seen if he can be the same anywhere else. For sure Manning is top notch but not every guy flourishes in other systems. We learned that the hard way with Ochocinco. eesh!

Welker was nothing before Brady. It remains to be seen if he can be the same anywhere else. For sure Manning is top notch but not every guy flourishes in other systems. We learned that the hard way with Ochocinco. eesh!

Absolutely, but

Welker was somewhere between decnt & good and hurt Pats  while being on a bad team so pats got Welker then he FLOURISHED  , BB often signed players that were good against him

To your first point. Welker has to be smarter. He is going to get asked ALL season about the Pats and Bill. If he does not deflect better then this will become an issue on HIS team. And Manning/Fox will talk to him. For sure he is bitter but he is coming off as whinny as you say and unbelievably ungrateful to the org that made him one of the top receivers in the game.

Exactly. Like I said, if he says something boring, or just tells reporters he'd rather answer questions about Denver, they'll stop asking. He's perpetuating this by being accommodating. Makes for good media, but it also makes him sound soft.

Absolutely, but

Welker was somewhere between decnt & good and hurt Pats  while being on a bad team so pats got Welker then he FLOURISHED  , BB often signed players that were good against him

Very true. Welker had a huge game against the Patriots prior to '07... even kicked a PAT if I remember right!

Absolutely, but

Sure and the Fins gave him over for two picks to their division rival. For sure Bill saw something and Brady made it work. Now Welker is 32 and slower and drops a lot. Not the same guy but if anyone can get anything good out of him it is Manning BUT even he has to be miffed by Welker's attitude. Not sure why Welker thinks he can just be himself with Denver and not think Manning won't be on him all day. That is what makes Manning great IMO.

Very true. Welker had a huge game against the Patriots prior to '07... even kicked a PAT if I remember right!

Sure and the Fins gave him over for two picks to their division rival. For sure Bill saw something and Brady made it work. Now Welker is 32 and slower and drops a lot. Not the same guy but if anyone can get anything good out of him it is Manning BUT even he has to be miffed by Welker's attitude. Not sure why Welker thinks he can just be himself with Denver and not think Manning won't be on him all day. That is what makes Manning great IMO.

as a PS the Broncos have saaid they have seen what works with WES in NE , and are trying to incorporate some of that

So poor Welker has to actually know when to run it like Pats did and when to break off as Manning expects

u know that has to be confusing

Its confusing just following this forum

anyway am really busy and far behind and quite stressed , so forgive me , I am just about done on site today

Will tape Denver game but dont think will have time to replay it, Life throwing some real curves at me, at family and at friends all at once and all have to help & be there for eachother, 

Priorities and all want to do is sleep

2-3 hrs sleep yesterday was it

The exact quote;

Re:  The OP Comment......   A Perfect example of how people tend to  twist words and meanings to suit what they want the comment to mean.   

Having said that,  I agree with you, Ruk.   I also believe Welker was critique-ing himself.    And if not,  then "adapt"    The Quarterback has control,  you want him to throw it to you....   Adapt to "his" way"   ;)

Re:  The OP Comment......   A Perfect example of how people tend to  twist words and meanings to suit what they want the comment to mean.   

Having said that,  I agree with you, Ruk.   I also believe Welker was critique-ing himself.    And if not,  then "adapt"    The Quarterback has control,  you want him to throw it to you....   Adapt to "his" way"   ;)

I'm waiting for him to go ahead and admit that Manning is a better QB. Probably after the SB win is my guess. 

Note to SOME Pats fans, and I emphases the SOME part there, not everyone has a blind loyalty to your team and that's okay.  Just because they aren't doesn't mean that every time they say things weren't all bright and cheery in New England with Rainbows doesn't mean that person is trying to rip your team.  He got asked a question and answered it, sorry if you don't like the answer. 

Welker would never admit that as its not true anyways but him and Brady are best friends...

And this probably has some to do with why he was upset with leaving...and the fact that Belichek didn't even play him like the first two weeks and probably wouldn't have after that without the injuries. He got upset over his contract....wanted to stay and the team didn't want to pay him (team=belichek lets be honest he runs it completely!). He lost a lot of money by being franchised but so have many other players. He also is a very vocal person and having his personality limited I think stressed him over the years. I'm sure he never wanted to leave but felt forced out. Bitter...sure....whiny...probably...wrong well its his opinion...so no. Anything else being linked into this is just arm chair opinions. Belichek didn't MAKE him...he made himself. He worked his butt off and did everything the right way and yes benefited by being in a very successful offense. You can't (well you could but it would be wrong) to base someone's success purely by saying someone else MADE them. How come Brady isn't MADE by the system....or how come we never said Wayne was made by Peyton or Freeny was made by Peyton getting us leads forcing teams to pass. To me you can't make an arguement with that. Not just ANY slot receiver will flourish in that system. It is up to that guy to maximize the system...not the system to maximize him. Welker maximized his potiential by perfecting the system...working hard maximizing his skills...and Brady and the Patriots utilized that incredible skill set to its fullest....something that the fins weren't doing. It was a perfect scenerio putting great players together in a good system...and we see that elsewhere in the NFL.

I think Welker has probably said enough...and nothing we don't know...about Belichek and there is nothing wrong with it. You only live once and there is nothing wrong with moving on and being happy in your new position...even if you don't make as much money or have as much success in a new position. I left a stressful job that my boss was all over me and yes I excelled but I was unhappy. I may make less and yes I'm in a new job I'm not quite as good at as my old but I'M HAPPY. I don't think anyone would begrudge me if I made a few remarks about my old boss who made my old job unbarable....even if that guy is considered great at HIS job. Now if Welker pouts and keeps crying....well that would be simply a baby then.

Everything with his new team.....I take him at face value. He has the responsibility of learning a new offense with a new qb (a very demanding qb) and knows he has to get up to speed if he is to flourish like he did in the old one. To me it will all depend on how quickly he acclomates to the offense.