Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Nate Davis to sign with Colts

shakedownstreet

Nate Davis is getting another chance in the National Football League, this time with a team most Ball State fans wanted the former Cardinal quarterback to play with in the first place.

Davis confirmed to The Star Press in a text message shortly after midnight on Tuesday morning that he will sign a two-year contract with the Indianapolis Colts.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20110726/SPORTS/110726003

Back in 2009, only one team attended the Pro Day for all-world quarterback Nate Davis, who had thrown for 3,446 yards, 26 touchdowns, and just seven interceptions during the 2008 season for Ball State. That team was theIndianapolis Colts, and now (two years later) they have signed the mobile QB with the rocket arm to a two-year deal.

According to Andrew Mishler of The Ball State Daily News and Dough Zaleski of the The Star Press, Davis will be a Colt as the team prepares to open training camp for the 2011 season.

We all saw Davis last year in preseason when, as a member of the 49ers, he outplayed Curtis Painter.

My link

It'd be nice if they actually let the kid compete for the backup job. But, make no mistake, Painter will have plenty of opportunity this pre-season to take control and justify his spot.

To me, if he doesn't show something, they should simply move on. But, he is a cheap backup.

with manning & sorgi as the only qb's on the roster, we'll probably sign at least one more camp arm besides davis

it wouldn't surprise me if we actually carry 3 on the active regular season roster

Manning & Sorgi ??? cute typo i am sure

Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien (We think this is official now)

This site below will update UDFA all day

My link

taken from my topic on Undrafted free agents comitted

http://www.colts.com/forums/index.php?/topic/237-colts-undrafted-free-agent-open-thread-stampede-blue-4-so-far-committed/

Manning & Sorgi ??? cute typo i am sure

Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien (We think this is official now)

My link

This Nate Davis thing is good news to me. Mort said last night the Colts may be looking for insurance with Manning's injury. I don't think signing this guy is the type of insurance he was talking about and might just mean Peyton is healthier than we have been led to believe. He is a camp arm.

This Nate Davis thing is good news to me. Mort said last night the Colts may be looking for insurance with Manning's injury. I don't think signing this guy is the type of insurance he was talking about and might just mean Peyton is healthier than we have been led to believe. He is a camp arm.

I belive mortenson said wanted a veteran for training camp

Despite this good news, at around 7:00 P.M. Eastern, Mort went back on SportsCenter and told Michael Smith that the Colts are actively looking to sign

a veteran quarterback as 'insurance' in case Peyton is not healthy in time for camp.

But its a 2 year deal so who knows

My link

Good signing. At BSU he could throw and run, had a terrible bowl game in part due to the flu. If he still has the form, should be able to beat out Painter for #2 with what he showed in the few games played. Heard some teams were concerned of a LD he had and ability to handle an NFL playbook, not sure if that is true or not though, but that coupled with the bad bowl game caused him to drop in the draft. Projected possible late 1st round prior to the bowl game disaster. Falco anyone?

Uh oh, he shares the same number as Curtis Painter. You know what that means?... MORTAL KOMBAT!

There's some 49'ers fans who think the organization made a bad choice letting Nate Davis leave. Regardless, I bet Painter couldn't do this though:

Ironically, Curtis Painter may still win the QB competition because he's dirt cheap.

Heard some teams were concerned of a LD he had and ability to handle an NFL playbook, not sure if that is true or not though,

yeah i watched all his games his final yr @ BSU..i believe he has dyslexia..that scared off a bunch of teams but not the colts..the colts ALWAYS had scouts watchin this kid and he is an absolute playmaker..he is the perfect backup for the colts cuz we can give him as much time as he needs to get settled..the guy that posted above this doesnt know what hes talkin about bcuz his reads on the field have never been suspect..i think this is a great p/u for the colts and they should feel lucky to have him..he also looked pretty good from what ive seen of him in a 9ers uniform..still love painter hence the profile pic but he better put in a good camp if hes gonna beat out nate