Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Enough of draft Luck, need to draft CB and a saftey

Sounds like the draft reports on Russell were similar to Cam Newton..right??

Egomaniac.....doesnt want to work hard. see?

Uhhhh, not quite.....Cam Newton showed up and drilled at the combine with everything on the line. I must admit, that showed me and alot of people the guy wasn't afraid to compete...even with some imperfect skills.

Jamarcus Russell rested on his laurels and did absolutely nothing at the combine but show off his 270lbs. in a sweat suit. It was all downhill from there.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to draft Luck if we get the first pick. If he pans out to have great potential after playing under Manning for two years you then could trade Manning to another team for some good picks or trades. Its a business, don't forget that. The 49ners and Green Bay both axed their franchise quarterbacks and they still had excellent teams. But if Luck turns out to be mediocre than of course you trade him away or keep him as a backup with a lower salary.

See that's the beauty of it...no, we don't have to do anything. ;) We could trade that pick for the arm and 2 legs that someone will be willing to pay, stock pile picks for this coming year and most likely the following year as well and build up an even better OL and defense. Then we actually have a better overall quality team and can use a future draft pick or a not-#1-overall pick this year on a developmental QB.

I am truelly baffled how anyone can think that in year 4 or 5 Peyton would be a better option over a younger better QB in Luck? Green Bay showed how to handle it, and if the Colts are smart they follow their pattern. You draft Luck, he takes the 2012, 2013 and maybe 2014, but the Peyton era is coming to a close and people need to wake up to that.

I agree with you up to the 2 year point....otherwise building solid youth into the rest of the roster with the 3-4 extra picks we'd receive has alot of merit.

I am truelly baffled how anyone can think that in year 4 or 5 Peyton would be a better option over a younger better QB in Luck? Green Bay showed how to handle it, and if the Colts are smart they follow their pattern. You draft Luck, he takes the 2012, 2013 and maybe 2014, but the Peyton era is coming to a close and people need to wake up to that.

I agree with what I put in red, which is why i think a guy like Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill or possibly even Kirk Cousins would be the way to go. Take a late first round or second round pick and draft a guy with potential and coach him on his mechanics. THAT IS HOW Green Bay handled it.

once again...the Packers DID NOT spend a #1 overall pick on a QB who was ready to start in the NFL from day one. They used a late first round pick on a QB that had star potential but a few issues with his mechanics. They groomed that QB into the Aaron Rodgers we know today. It is only the same situation on the very superficial basis that one QB replaced another.

How many times has this worked in NFL history? Favre to Rodgers, Montana to Young....Bledsoe to Brady? It's not a proven pattern that you just can't miss with.

I have nothing against Luck, and if the Colts draft him, then I'll cheer him like everyone else with a horseshoe. But, look at those teams that have done this before. They were all playoff teams before the switch. This team, without Manning, is not a playoff team. We need to focus on building this team up at all levels and not just throw a young guy in there with nothing around him.

If we get the #1 pick, we'd be better off trading down and getting all the picks we can and using them to bolster this roster from 1 to 53.

How many times has this worked in NFL history? Favre to Rodgers, Montana to Young....Bledsoe to Brady? It's not a proven pattern that you just can't miss with.

I have nothing against Luck, and if the Colts draft him, then I'll cheer him like everyone else with a horseshoe. But, look at those teams that have done this before. They were all playoff teams before the switch. This team, without Manning, is not a playoff team. We need to focus on building this team up at all levels and not just throw a young guy in there with nothing around him.

If we get the #1 pick, we'd be better off trading down and getting all the picks we can and using them to bolster this roster from 1 to 53.

I agree

this team needs to be rebuilt with a proper defense and a solid o-line before we put mannings replacement under center or there will be problems.

What good will it do to draft help in the secondary, when our coaches are just going to instruct them to play 10-15 yards off the ball? It's the overall scheme that sucks more so than the players playing in it in my opinion. Our secondary has gotten progressively worse each year under Coyer. This should not be surprising to anyone because that is exactly what happened to Denver while he was there. Colts need to purge themselves of this guy ASAP.

I don't mind the defensive sceme, it's when the DBs come up to make the tackle and they wiff. A 3 yard gain turns into a 8-10 yard gain. Colts need DBs that can tackle. I don't care if its the 1st pick or last pick but get DBs that can tackle one on one.

If you want a DB first then we'd have to trade down out of the #1 spot....if in fact we wind up at #1. I'm assuming you meant for us to trade down because there is no way Bill Polian will spend the 1st overall pick on a CB or S.....nor does any of this year's DB crop warrant it.

It is a legitimate need and for once....I'd like to see something resembling a stellar pair of CBs in our secondary.

Side note: Comparing Luck to Leaf and Russell is way off base....he has 10X the work ethic of those two slugs combined. We may or may not select him....but I highly doubt he'll bust.

Ever heard of trading the 1st pick? Leverage Luck for a couple of good picks!

I agree

this team needs to be rebuilt with a proper defense and a solid o-line before we put mannings replacement under center or there will be problems.

thank you! Why are people putting manning out to pasture without even knowing how the recovery is going? Lets slow down people!

Ever heard of trading the 1st pick? Leverage Luck for a couple of good picks!

I really hope that if we end up with the 1st pick all of you that want to trade it and not draft Luck don't end up having a coronary when Polian does indeed draft Luck.

The Draft is simple..

If you have a top 5 pick, you pick a player who will improve your team from day 1!

a back up QB does not improve a team or make the team better..Vince Young

Draft Priorities

DT,OG,6'4-6'5 WR (Jefferys, Floyd, Hill), SS and CB

Theyre sayin this draft has the most 6'4 6'5 WR ever in a single draft.

We better come out with 1

Those are the positions we need to draft for

NO QB in any round!

So you people that don't want to draft a QB in the draft, what happens if Manning isn't the same or can't play ever again??? Then we are stuck with Painter and whoever else is on the practice squad. That is not a good situation to put this team in just like this year. We have to draft a QB in the draft. We can't afford to pass up on Moore or Luck. Not getting a QB is just pure stupidity when you don't know what the future holds for Manning.

In my opinion, even if Peyton comes back and is back to somewhat normal Peyton, you still have to start thinking of a replacement anyways, and if you have a chance to get a player like Luck, you pull the trigger. I would love to get Andrew Luck and let him study, learn, pick Peyton's brain for 3-5 years. Those chances do not hit an NFL team everyday. I agree that the D needs a lot of help and new players, but Luck to me, is a player that you would definitely want to have on your team. I also think the organization is going to have to start making some moves in free agency.

Amen. If our future franchise QB is available you have to take him. Those don't grow on trees. Every other pick can be spent on defense if need be. We have all seen first hand how important a good QB is to the success of a football team.

Ah, finaly someone that sees the writing on the wall!! Peyton very well may not come back, and if (when) he does, he will NEVER be 100% again. The Peyton we all loved and watched bring this franchise to glory is no more. I think you all do not realize how serious this neck injury is. You just cannot re-generate a nerve bundle over night and when they do re-generate they are never as "good as new". We need to start planning for LIFE POST MANNING. And what better time than when what appears to be a lost season gives you a high first round pick. I am not just talking about Luck, there are three or four good quality QB's coming into the draft. I really do hope that Peyton comes back next season, that will give him time to "groom" his heir.

I would love to get Andrew Luck and let him study, learn, pick Peyton's brain for 3-5 years.

I don't see how could we bench a guy for 3-5 years who considered as the best QB prospect of the decade. Luck is not a Rogers, Newton, etc. This guy is probably the most NFL-ready QB ever entered the draft - except probably Peyton. One year learning probably will help him, but 3? No way.

If Peyton will indeed be able to play for another 3 years, then we should address our QB problem in the 2013/2014 draft, and pick a playmaker CB, safety or even a tall, "beast" WR in 2012.

depending on where we pick in the first round, i really like trent richardson out of Alabama. I know we have Delone Carter, but Addai is getting old, Brown is... and Peyton is not getting any younger. Our line looks a lot better at run blocking now, and a nice physical back like Richardson sets up the play action, and keeps the sticks moving in short yardage situations. If we can run the ball 25+ times a game, this will take pressure off our Peyton and reduce chances of a career ending hit/injury. I really would like a top CB or SS, but if we have a offense that can get leads, and control the clock with the run, then the soft cover 2 that the Colts are known for does not require a shut down CB.

thank you! Why are people putting manning out to pasture without even knowing how the recovery is going? Lets slow down people!

It's not about putting Manning to pasture as much as it is about looking towards our future. Peyton is still the man for now but he won't be around forever. If we are in position to take Luck, you gotta do it and let the chips fall as they may.

I'm not one to complain and I usually look at the cup half full but the Colts secondary is sub par at best. Really...

These guys are not good, miss INT's, can't tackle at all. If the Colts are going to play cover 2 or Tampa 2 and let the QB complete passes for 3-5 yards then the DB's need to tackle at the spot of completion. Too many times last night the Bucs WR made the catch and broke tackles for a bigger gain.

I don't want Luck, too much hype and too much hype means bust. (ie: Leaf and Russell come to mind)

What ever draft spot we get I would first address the secondary because right now that is the weekest part of the team. I'll give the O-line a pass since two guys went down last night but its been the same DBs for 4 weeks now and they are bad.

thoughts?

You must be out of your mind.If you can draft a franchise QB to take over for another franchise QB and be set to be an elite team for another 12 years you would be insane to pass up on that.CB's can be found in free agency and the draft all over.

If you look at a good chunk of the missed tackles, you had alot of our defensive players playing off 8-10 yards (at times even the linebackers were). When freeman checked it down to his RB or TE, we had defensive players trying to close that yardage gap while at a speed that makes it hard for them to turn quickly. All the TB RBs had to do is juke left or right and that alone made it annoying to tackle them. Doesn't make the missed tackles excuseable, but tampa 2 D doesn't help make it any easier to tackle when you play off so far back and they check it down.

I don't agree.

This year shows us how important a good QB is, especially to a dome team.

I'm not convinced Manning will be back 100%, if at all.

If we get a chance at a top QB in draft, I say take him. If manning struggles with injury, throw in the rookie. If Manning returns, our young QB will be groomed by the BEST!

We need to fortify the most important position in footbal for the future. Manning's days are numbered, healthy or not.

depending on where we pick in the first round, i really like trent richardson out of Alabama. I know we have Delone Carter, but Addai is getting old, Brown is... and Peyton is not getting any younger. Our line looks a lot better at run blocking now, and a nice physical back like Richardson sets up the play action, and keeps the sticks moving in short yardage situations. If we can run the ball 25+ times a game, this will take pressure off our Peyton and reduce chances of a career ending hit/injury. I really would like a top CB or SS, but if we have a offense that can get leads, and control the clock with the run, then the soft cover 2 that the Colts are known for does not require a shut down CB.

N.O.

Trade down and get 2 first round picks in round 1. Trade down and get 2 second round picks in round 2. We will end up having a quality draft that way.

If we have 4 picks in 2 rounds, we can afford to take a project in round 2 and still have quality talent across the board drafted.

I honestly don't think we'll get the top pick.... i do think Matt Barkley out of USC would be a heck of a prospect to sit under Peyton for a few years. Plus he mite be available early in the 2nd round. Id love to see a Manti Tao from Notre Dame in a Colts jersey.

So you people that don't want to draft a QB in the draft, what happens if Manning isn't the same or can't play ever again??? Then we are stuck with Painter and whoever else is on the practice squad. That is not a good situation to put this team in just like this year. We have to draft a QB in the draft. We can't afford to pass up on Moore or Luck. Not getting a QB is just pure stupidity when you don't know what the future holds for Manning.

Barkley and Luck are the best clear cut best options.Both have showed the arm strength neccessary to make all the throws and they both are skilled in running an NFL style defense.Moore and Jones are spread option and it's hard to saywhat they would become and how long it would take for them to get there.

I honestly don't think we'll get the top pick.... i do think Matt Barkley out of USC would be a heck of a prospect to sit under Peyton for a few years. Plus he mite be available early in the 2nd round. Id love to see a Manti Tao from Notre Dame in a Colts jersey.

Tyler Wilson is a prototype that not many people are talking about.He took over for Mallet at Arkansas but I think is a better passer.

Blasphemy! Do me a favor and don't watch any games next year as Peyton leads us to another Super Bowl. Why don't you just become a fan of whoever forks over a ton of draft picks to us for him. Enjoy watching him struggle his first couple of years while Manning and the Colts dominate the rest of the league. And when the day comes that Manning gets inducted into the Hall of Fame, please don't watch and please don't share any 'fond memories' of watching him back when you were a Colts fan.

You must be out of your mind.If you can draft a franchise QB to take over for another franchise QB and be set to be an elite team for another 12 years you would be insane to pass up on that.CB's can be found in free agency and the draft all over.

Really, then why for the past 3-5 years the Colts keep sending sub par corners ?

I really hope that if we end up with the 1st pick all of you that want to trade it and not draft Luck don't end up having a coronary when Polian does indeed draft Luck.

And I hope all of the "we must have Luck" folks keep a big box of tissues next to them when the announcement is made that the pick has been traded. gotta have something to weep gently into. ;)

he will NEVER be 100% again. The Peyton we all loved and watched bring this franchise to glory is no more.

Really? I assume then that you're a neurosurgeon with specialties in nerve regeneration then correct? NO ONE...not even Peyton, his doctors or his trainers know how well he will recover and at what speed he will recover. To say right now that there is no way he ever comes back 100% is just as unbelievably naive as believing that he definitely will come back 100%.

I don't see how could we bench a guy for 3-5 years who considered as the best QB prospect of the decade. Luck is not a Rogers, Newton, etc. This guy is probably the most NFL-ready QB ever entered the draft - except probably Peyton. One year learning probably will help him, but 3? No way.

If Peyton will indeed be able to play for another 3 years, then we should address our QB problem in the 2013/2014 draft, and pick a playmaker CB, safety or even a tall, "beast" WR in 2012.

ditto...if a QB is deemed "nfl ready" then he sits on the bench for 1 year max. You don't take any player, no matter how good he is, and sit him for 3-4 years. If we draft Luck then the Manning era is over. If the Manning era is not over then we do not draft Luck.

Barkley and Luck are the best clear cut best options.Both have showed the arm strength neccessary to make all the throws and they both are skilled in running an NFL style defense.Moore and Jones are spread option and it's hard to saywhat they would become and how long it would take for them to get there.

I wouldn't exactly consider the Colt's offense as "pro style" which is why I don't think a couple of the spread QB's would have as difficult a transition to the Colts as they would most other teams.

QBs dont sit for 3-4 years at top dollar these days ... the step in and play right away.