Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you wish our stadium was open air?

Ohio Colt

I think the retractable roof makes LOS a great venue.  I agree the shadows on tv make it harder to watch when the roof is open.  The only negative I see is how well prepared our quarterback and kickers can be when they have to play an all or nothing AFC playoff game in an open air stadium with nasty weather against a team who is used to playing in those types of conditions.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of wish it was.....then last year it seemed there were many late season Big 10 games played in the rain and cold and it looked like everyone was miserable.

Very much this. I was at the horrendous Purdue-Wisconsin game. The play on the field was atrocious but the cold and rain was worse.

Hear me out. I love our stadium. It's state of the art. It's a palace.

But I kind of miss outdoor football on sunday's. Its one missing element watching a dome team every sunday.

Anyone with me on this?

Not even a little bit.  When its crummy or freezing outside I would much rather be in a dome.  Plus when the weathers nice they open the roof so its best of both worlds. 

Have u ever seen a football game in rain, snow or freezing rain?  If u had I bet u wouldn't be missing outdoor football.

Very much this. I was at the horrendous Purdue-Wisconsin game. The play on the field was atrocious but the cold and rain was worse.

I went to a high school playoff game in Mishawaka last year....50 degrees and and it rained all night...

the ref had to cover the ball with a towell between plays. Punts went 11 yards...Pools gathered on the field

The school there goes back before World War II..and water poured down the steps in the old brick grandstand.....

I thought I was in a combination time machine/washer dryer....

That's not football, its comedy

I went to a high school playoff game in Mishawaka last year....50 degrees and and it rained all night...

the ref had to cover the ball with a towell between plays. Punts went 11 yards...Pools gathered on the field

The school there goes back before World War II..and water poured down the steps in the old brick grandstand.....

I thought I was in a combination time machine/washer dryer....

That's not football, its comedy

do you live in mishawaka?

Hear me out. I love our stadium. It's state of the art. It's a palace.

But I kind of miss outdoor football on sunday's. Its one missing element watching a dome team every sunday.

Anyone with me on this?

I go to every game with my father who has had 3 back surgeries, vertebra fused in his neck, and a bad knee.  If the stadium wasn't closed during the cold months, we'd never get to go together because the weather is physically painful for him.

I'd rather it be permanently closed then permanently open.

i like the fact we have a closed stadium.. the game is never hindered by the weather, and i guess it's better for the fans..

BUT! one thing i don't understand and hate (even though it doesn't affect me) is the retractable roof.. how many games were played at LOS with the roof open? i can't remember more than 5-6.. it seems to me like a costly luxury with no real benefits.. (the cost of building a fixed roof would have been much lower)

LOVE the movable glass wall with the view on downtown! that would have been enough..

The average a couple of years ago was about three home games a year during the regular season, they only play eight at home so that's almost half.  Last year it was open for the Vikings, Jags, and Browns.  It was also open for both home pre-season games so five out of ten total home games.  The only early season games that it was closed for was Miami (which was the last weekend in October) and the Packers game and the later happened because of a chance of rain which they had to close it for because the stadium has no drainage. 

I think the retractable roof makes LOS a great venue.  I agree the shadows on tv make it harder to watch when the roof is open.  The only negative I see is how well prepared our quarterback and kickers can be when they have to play an all or nothing AFC playoff game in an open air stadium with nasty weather against a team who is used to playing in those types of conditions.

The Colts are the only team to win a Super Bowl in the rain and they did that when they played in the RCA Dome and didn't even have a retractable roof they were a true Dome team.  They also did it against the Bears, one of the league's most storied bad weather teams.  Part of the reason the Colts won that game is that they flat out handled the rain better than the Bears did.  The key to winning in bad weather is preparing for it not having an outdoor stadium.  Listen to Saturday talk about the prep they did for playing outdoors in that playoff run because there was a chance of rain in Baltimore when they were going up there so they did wet ball drills all week and Saturday it paid off big time when they got down to Miami.  If you are well prepared you can handle any kind of weather regardless of if you are a Dome or Outdoors team. 

Went to the Jags game last year...Sat in the South end zone, roof open and it was a little cool in the shade. Not freezing, I didn't mind it at all. Went to the first preseason and regular season games in 2008, and others since. I love when the roof and windows are open. Really cool to me at least.

Posted · Hidden by Warhorse, August 7, 2013 - Spam
Hidden by Warhorse, August 7, 2013 - Spam

Cheap jersey and very nice quality NFL Jersey just need $18.99
Order 10 pcs jerseys we provide free shipping.
2013 New Version Drift Fashion Elite Jersey Available Now
Share our site on Facebook you can get the 5% discount code!~
We also have the customized jersey service and you can have the jersey stitched on you name and your number!
Enjoy the best online shipping experience
Cheap NFL Jerseys

The Colts are the only team to win a Super Bowl in the rain and they did that when they played in the RCA Dome and didn't even have a retractable roof they were a true Dome team.  They also did it against the Bears, one of the league's most storied bad weather teams.  Part of the reason the Colts won that game is that they flat out handled the rain better than the Bears did.  The key to winning in bad weather is preparing for it not having an outdoor stadium.  Listen to Saturday talk about the prep they did for playing outdoors in that playoff run because there was a chance of rain in Baltimore when they were going up there so they did wet ball drills all week and Saturday it paid off big time when they got down to Miami.  If you are well prepared you can handle any kind of weather regardless of if you are a Dome or Outdoors team. 

But time has passed outdoor mid-winter football.....

The season has expanded into January and you cant play football well outdoors in january...

PLus with the emphasis on passing....TV and the in-stadium fan experinece...

Playing football out doors is like playing basketball outdoors,...

/..all new stadiums need to have a roof

Football is made to be played in the elements.

Handball is a popular sport.

Beans are picked by hand.

More than two steps in the NBA is travelling.

Kids are told to get outside on saturday and they dont come home until dinner.

All of the above statements were true at one time. None of them are valid today.

I've been to plenty of sporting events, including Patriots games, in cold, wind, rain, snow, etc-etc.I remember almost every single one. I don't always remember the sunny, warm days.

Take that for what it's worth. Personally I think inclement weather or bad conditions only add to the mystique. But then again, I'm a life-long New Englander, and come from the northern part of NH. So I grew up with it... it's all I know. I see NFL teams with domed stadiums and think, "Pfffttt, softies... can't handle a little snow?" ;)

Went to the Jags game last year...Sat in the South end zone, roof open and it was a little cool in the shade. Not freezing, I didn't mind it at all. Went to the first preseason and regular season games in 2008, and others since. I love when the roof and windows are open. Really cool to me at least.

If you sit in the north end zone it is unbearable. The roof open and air only able to flow out of one end makes it feel like you are sitting in a car in the sun with just the sunroof open in the middle of July. If its overcast outside its nice. But sitting directly in the sun blows.

Snow is one thing. Being cold and wet is not for me. I love out stadium! We have the best of both worlds and it is flat out awesome!

Think it's getting better also with noise level. RCA dome was off te hook. Los seemed kinda uppity and snooty to me in the beginning. But I guess people cheer in their own way. Just don't tell me to sit down when I'm cheering for my team on 3rd down! Lol

I've been to plenty of sporting events, including Patriots games, in cold, wind, rain, snow, etc-etc.I remember almost every single one. I don't always remember the sunny, warm days.

Take that for what it's worth. Personally I think inclement weather or bad conditions only add to the mystique. But then again, I'm a life-long New Englander, and come from the northern part of NH. So I grew up with it... it's all I know. I see NFL teams with domed stadiums and think, "Pfffttt, softies... can't handle a little snow?" ;)

......I've been to doznes of football games in November and I remember every one of them, too.

Beacuse of the pain of me standing outside for two hours when anyone with any sense would be inside.

And November isnt January....

December and January weather drives women, children and old folks indoors..

I dont want you to sit outside in 15 below zero at night to watch anything

......it doesnt make any sense...when you have an option...

..and Indy's option is one of the 5 or 6 best football stadiums in the country

The season has expanded into January and you cant play football well outdoors in january...

fortunately that won't be happening any time soon.  I'd prefer all stadiums be open air and real grass only. :)

......I've been to doznes of football games in November and I remember every one of them, too.

Beacuse of the pain of me standing outside for two hours when anyone with any sense would be inside.

And November isnt January....

December and January weather drives women, children and old folks indoors..

I dont want you to sit outside in 15 below zero at night to watch anything

......it doesnt make any sense...when you have an option...

..and Indy's option is one of the 5 or 6 best football stadiums in the country

I hear you, it's all a matter of preference. No "right answer" on this one. From a practical standpoint, LOS had to be build to accommodate year-round events, I get that.

I do also tend to seek out (and typically enjoy) harsher environments (see avatar).

;)

Some of us north-eastern people don't share your sentiment for the cold weather.

I live in upstate, NY and if it never snowed again it would be too soon.

I do plan to relocate south eventually :)

Not really what I was getting at all.  I am not arguing football can/should be played indoors vs. outdoors.  I was arguing the idea that an indoor team can't win outdoors if weather is a factor. 

With that said to your point there always be some form of outdoor stadiums in the NFL.  Packers fans will riot if you replace Lambeau field and probably through a bigger fit if you tried to put a roof over it for example.  Also there is no need for a roof in a place like Miami or San Diego where odds are if the weather is bad enough that it's going to be a major factor you probably shouldn't be playing in it in the first place, even if the stadium had a roof. 

More teams may move towards retractable roof stadiums, although even that doesn't look to be the case as the last two stadium's built in the NFL for the 49ers and Giants/Jets did not have those put on them, but there always be some form of outdoor stadium in the NFL.  Heck at one point the Vikings, who have reverted back to plans to have a roof on their stadium, were talking about moving from a doomed stadium to an outdoor stadium.  If they were thinking about going back outdoors the outdoor stadium is alive and well in the world of football. 

I think we are getting closer to the stage where the markets that will have indoor stadiums have them with maybe like a city like Buffalo joining them and the markets that have outdoors stadiums will have those.  It might shift more over time but the outdoor stadium isn't going away anytime in the near future. 

No, I prefer the closed stadium.  I get the whole "football is meant to be in the elements!"  Well, no it's not...Not anymore.  The game has changed.  It's not run for 5 yards then fall in the mud.  It's a finesse, passing league.  I don't like watching games where offense can't move the ball because it's a monsoon, or a blizzard.  I also don't think being a team who DOES have to play in those conditions are "tough" either.  It's just the hand they were dealt.

I prefer it to be skill vs skill with no interference from mother nature.

I also expect this years SB to be awful.  I'm just predicting the weather in NY is going to be horrid.

No thanks I'm not gonna screw with punctuation on an iPod it's too much time for a little post every one gets the point

Lol I type every post on my iPhone. Not that I care about your punctuation, but don't act like its hard.

Lol I type every post on my iPhone. Not that I care about your punctuation, but don't act like its hard.

yeah but I'm not very good with my iPod and I don't wanna switch from the letters to punctuation and my stupid fingers are too big so I just spot out wat I am thinking and just move on lol

Also I'm sorry to whoever it bothers ik some ppl really care a lot about it for some reason

yeah but I'm not very good with my iPod and I don't wanna switch from the letters to punctuation and my stupid fingers are too big so I just spot out wat I am thinking and just move on lol

Also I'm sorry to whoever it bothers ik some ppl really care a lot about it for some reason

Actually most people don't care as long as you keep it short......which you did.

You can double tap the space button on iPhones to do a period lol. I would think the iPod is similar, if that's helpful.