Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what are the odds

CR91

Beating out Angerer and Sidbury?  I'd say 5% chance and that's being generous.  Both Angerer and Sidbury have NFL experience.  McNary has no NFL experience and Adongo has no football experience that I know of

Yea but angerer is always hurt and doesn't fit our system and sidbury is nothing special

Yea but angerer is always hurt and doesn't fit our system and sidbury is nothing special

But how do we know McNary or Adongo will be able to fit our system?  We don't know how Sidbury will do in our system and I think Angerer deserves another chance.  When healthy, he is a tackling machine.  He might not be the ideal size for a 3-4 ILB, but I think he deserves a shot.  He is a very good cover linebacker, which is very important in today's pass-first league

But how do we know McNary or Adongo will be able to fit our system? We don't know how Sidbury will do in our system and I think Angerer deserves another chance. When healthy, he is a tackling machine. He might not be the ideal size for a 3-4 ILB, but I think he deserves a shot. He is a very good cover linebacker, which is very important in today's pass-first league

Im all for giving angerer a chance but it's like Reggie said you can't club in the tub. I haven't heard anything about sidbury so far. If mcnary and adongo didn't fit our system, grigs wouldn't brought them in

Im all for giving angerer a chance but it's like Reggie said you can't club in the tub. I haven't heard anything about sidbury so far. If mcnary and adongo didn't fit our system, grigs wouldn't brought them in

You could say the same thing for Sidbury though.  I just don't see 2 guys with little football experience beating out guys who have actually played in the NFL

Signing Sidbury still confuses me

What's to be confused about?    Grigson said he remembered being very impressed with Sidbury's workouts when the kid was coming out of college and wanted a shot to sign him.     This was his first chance, and so he took it.

I think we've signed from roughly $700k.   Chump change.   Probably veteran minimum or close to that. 

If he works out,  he's a steal.    If he doesn't,  we cut him and lose basically nothing.    Low risk, high reward.

What's to be confused about?    Grigson said he remembered being very impressed with Sidbury's workouts when the kid was coming out of college and wanted a shot to sign him.     This was his first chance, and so he took it.

I think we've signed from roughly $700k.   Chump change.   Probably veteran minimum or close to that. 

If he works out,  he's a steal.    If he doesn't,  we cut him and lose basically nothing.    Low risk, high reward.

He's a 4-3 end who barely played for the falcons

Angerer will probably still be hurt. So I'll take my money on Mcnary getting on the 53. He's done well from all the reports.

Angerer being hurt is only hurting himself. Next man up mentality out here. And we already declared we're moving McNary inside and that's where he's been practicing so far and doing well

Grigson thinks there's talent there that hasn't been brought out yet.    It costs us almost nothing to find out if he's right.

If he's right -- we'll all be happy.    If Grigson is wrong,  it doesn't hurt us and we'll all soon forget about Sidbury.

But personally,  I'm hoping the kid shows something and makes the squad....

I think it's going to take a lot for Abongo to make this roster as mostly a LB.  I heard someone talking about him on the radio this morning and they said if he makes the final roster it will probably be a guy who is mostly a healthy scratch while he learns the game or as a special teamer.  He said it was more than likely that he has an "injury" right before final cuts and ends up on IR so the coaches can work with him.  He just still has a lot to learn about the game of football in general. 

Angerer is hurt and from the sounds of it has a knee issue now based on how they were talking on the radio this morning.  I don't think Angerer will be released but I do think they aren't going to take him off of PUP till they have to.  If he's on PUP at the start of the season that does open the door for one more LB to be kept.  Honestly we had about three to four spots to be filled going into the season based on last year. 

Last year we had Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes as OLB, two guys are gone but Walden and Werner have been brought into to take those spots.

MLB we had Conner, Freeman, Angerer, and Fokou.  Fokou is gone so that opens the door already for someone at MLB.  If Angerer is hurt that might open the door for someone else at least at the start of the season. 

Also linebackers tend to make good special teams guys so that might open an extra job for someone as well. 

I think it's going to take a lot for Abongo to make this roster as mostly a LB. I heard someone talking about him on the radio this morning and they said if he makes the final roster it will probably be a guy who is mostly a healthy scratch while he learns the game or as a special teamer. He said it was more than likely that he has an "injury" right before final cuts and ends up on IR so the coaches can work with him. He just still has a lot to learn about the game of football in general.

Angerer is hurt and from the sounds of it has a knee issue now based on how they were talking on the radio this morning. I don't think Angerer will be released but I do think they aren't going to take him off of PUP till they have to. If he's on PUP at the start of the season that does open the door for one more LB to be kept. Honestly we had about three to four spots to be filled going into the season based on last year.

Last year we had Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes as OLB, two guys are gone but Walden and Werner have been brought into to take those spots.

MLB we had Conner, Freeman, Angerer, and Fokou. Fokou is gone so that opens the door already for someone at MLB. If Angerer is hurt that might open the door for someone else at least at the start of the season.

Also linebackers tend to make good special teams guys so that might open an extra job for someone as well.

You left out Hickman at OLB last year

You left out Hickman at OLB last year

Wasn't Hickman one of those guys who was on and off the roster depending on the week?  If so I didn't really factor him into the depth position because he wasn't a major factor in it.  With that said, Hickman would be a perfect example of what I was talking about when I said linebackers tend to make good special teams guys so that could easily open up a roster spot for another guy. 

Wasn't Hickman one of those guys who was on and off the roster depending on the week? If so I didn't really factor him into the depth position because he wasn't a major factor in it. With that said, Hickman would be a perfect example of what I was talking about when I said linebackers tend to make good special teams guys so that could easily open up a roster spot for another guy.

He was on the roster the whole season if I'm not mistaken, ESPN have him playing in 12 games last year then was put on IR Dec 4th or he would've played in more games

He was on the roster the whole season if I'm not mistaken, ESPN have him playing in 12 games last year then was put on IR Dec 4th or he would've played in more games

Again, see my point about linebackers making good special team players which is what he mostly did last year.

So factor Hickman in that opens up an extra spot for someone to take.

Mathis, Werner, Walden, Angerer(if healthy if not he'll be on PUP or IR they wont cut him), Conner, Freeman, Sidbury, and McNary probably being the most likely to make the roster at this point in time. 

Again, see my point about linebackers making good special team players which is what he mostly did last year.

So factor Hickman in that opens up an extra spot for someone to take.

Mathis, Werner, Walden, Angerer(if healthy if not he'll be on PUP or IR they wont cut him), Conner, Freeman, Sidbury, and McNary probably being the most likely to make the roster at this point in time.

Plus Hickman I say, we carried 9 LBs last season I feel we carry 9 again this year

Plus Hickman I say, we carried 9 LBs last season I feel we carry 9 again this year

We had 8 last year with Hickman

Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Hickman, Angerer, Conner, Fokou, and Freeman.

So Hickman will probably be in a fight for the last roster spot with a guy like McCary depending on Angerer's health.  If Angerer isn't healthy that might make moot point and both guys might very well make it at least to start. 

We had 8 last year with Hickman

Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Hickman, Angerer, Conner, Fokou, and Freeman.

So Hickman will probably be in a fight for the last roster spot with a guy like McCary depending on Angerer's health. If Angerer isn't healthy that might make moot point and both guys might very well make it at least to start.

Mario Harvey made the team last year as well which equals 9.

Initial LBs on 53 man roster:

SLB (2) -- Robert Mathis (11th year, Alabama A&M), Jerry Hughes (4th year, TCU).

RILB (2) -- Kavell Conner (4th year, Clemson), Mario Harvey (1st year, Marshall).

LILB (3) -- Jerrell Freeman (1st year, Mary Hardin-Baylor), Moise Fokou (5th year, Maryland), Pat Angerer (4th year, Iowa).

OLB (3) -- Dwight Freeney (12th year, Syracuse), Mario Addison (3rd year, Troy), Justin Hickman (rookie, UCLA).

But we put Addison on the PS and the Redskins scooped him up

Here is the full 53 from last year: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20009421/indianapolis-colts-final-53man-roster

Mario Harvey made the team last year as well which equals 9

Harvey will probably factor into this year's group too.  Also him or Hickman were also kept because of Angerer's health mostly.  He was playing all of last year on a broken foot and had a chance of going down at any point.  If Angerer is healthy this year they might very well keep only 8.  Again, we can play the numbers game all day but the number of linebackers we keep this year is going depend a lot more on health of the guys on the roster this year (not only at linebacker but other positions) and how many are good at special teams and how good other players on the roster are at special teams and things like that.  We'll keep some where between 7 and 9 linebackers this year I am sure. 

Harvey was also here last year because he was the "full back" see the Colts profile for that one, since we have a fullback this year that might very well eat up the ninth linebacker spot right there. 

I'll also say seven will probably be here mostly because of linebacking skills from there on out they will be kept if they offer something on special teams or another position. 

Harvey will probably factor into this year's group too. Also him or Hickman were also kept because of Angerer's health mostly. He was playing all of last year on a broken foot and had a chance of going down at any point. If Angerer is healthy this year they might very well keep only 8. Again, we can play the numbers game all day but the number of linebackers we keep this year is going depend a lot more on health of the guys on the roster this year (not only at linebacker but other positions) and how many are good at special teams and how good other players on the roster are at special teams and things like that. We'll keep some where between 7 and 9 linebackers this year I am sure.

Harvey was also here last year because he was the "full back" see the Colts profile for that one, since we have a fullback this year that might very well eat up the ninth linebacker spot right there.

LBs I say will be Mathis, Walden, Werner, Sidbury, Hickman, Freeman, Sheppard, Conner, Angerer(McNary if Angerer goes on PUP)

I think the FB is going to replace the 3rd QB spot or the 6th WR spot

LBs I say will be Mathis, Walden, Werner, Sidbury, Hickman, Freeman, Sheppard, Conner, Angerer(McNary if Angerer goes on PUP)

I think the FB is going to replace the 3rd QB spot or the 6th WR spot

That's what makes this so hard because we just don't know who is going to get hurt or who the Colts are going to view as a if we cut him we are going to lose him and he could help us in the future.  I know the Colts really like Harnish and kept him on the active roster last year to avoid him being snatched up by another team right away realizing if they waited till later in the season to release him it increased their odds to keep him stashed on the practice squad.  They might try to do something like that with him again this year. 

As for the WR spot that probably depends on health, special teams, returners, and things like that.  They will kind have a sixth WR for the first four games who wont count against the roster with Brazil being on the suspended list so that might influence their decision as well. 

One injury at one spot could change everything though.  That's why I try to avoid doing roster projections till the end of the pre-season. 

Wasn't there talk of him being better suited for a 3-4 ? Thus maybe you are at least partially answering your own question. Also I believe he had one decent year for the Falcons and then just never saw the field the following year. But anyway... as others have said , there's really no harm done if he's eventually cut.