Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the team looks good.

John Dee

you can quote me john if you want and ill eat crow for it, but here it goes our defense will be a top 5 defense if everyone stays healthy.

Lol sorry nope. top 10 at best but I'm fine with that. The offense looks to be crazy good and could be top 5 but not the defense. We've improved our run D and passing D but not to the extent of being a top 5 defense. Realllllyyy excited about Chapman though. And the newbees (Toler, Landry, Werner, RJF, Sidbury and to some extent Walden)

It should be much improved and I acknowledge that but we have to lower our expectations a little bit. I mean, I don't even think it was top 25 last year. I'd be pleased with top 15, as long as the offense is somewhat elite. 

Lol sorry nope. top 10 at best but I'm fine with that. The offense looks to be crazy good and could be top 5 but not the defense. We've improved our run D and passing D but not to the extent of being a top 5 defense. Realllllyyy excited about Chapman though. And the newbees (Toler, Landry, Werner, RJF, Sidbury and to some extent Walden)

It should be much improved and I acknowledge that but we have to lower our expectations a little bit. I mean, I don't even think it was top 25 last year. I'd be pleased with top 15, as long as the offense is somewhat elite. 

just wait and see. I got a good feeling

I think the D will improve.

My biggest concern still lies in the o line. I feel it will make or break this team and this season. If the o line holds up and improves then we can make some serious noise. If it doesn't then....well darnit it has to improve!!!!

The oline run defense and field goal kicker are my biggest concerns. Vinetari is getting old hope he can still be consistent. Now that the titans have shawn green and the jags have denard robinson our run d has to be top notch or we will get embarassed. I believe we beat 49ers and seahawks if we have good run d

The oline run defense and field goal kicker are my biggest concerns. Vinetari is getting old hope he can still be consistent. Now that the titans have shawn green and the jags have denard robinson our run d has to be top notch or we will get embarassed. I believe we beat 49ers and seahawks if we have good run d

I really hope we can steal one of those. Seahawks seems more likely to me at this point due to it being a home game, being an early game for the Seahawks (time zone) and they were not a great road team IMO like us last year. And Seattle will be coming into Indy coming off what hopefully will be a physically exhausting win for them in Houston. :)

Of course we still have to protect Luck.......

Luck vs. Jim Harbaugh should be interesting too. :)

I just can't pencil us in for losing all 3 of the Seahawks, 49ers, Broncos. Can't. We are too good a home team and two of those are at home.

I'm not worried with the D and to be truthful our defense has had one up over our offense sinces the start of camp from what I have read and seen on colts.com. I'm still a bit worried about the oline. So far in camp the oline looks to have the biggest weakness on the team, but its still early. I can see us having a top 5 D, but we have to stay healthy. Werner and Mathis will be great together, the d-line has much more talent and depth. CB is the biggest question on that side of the ball.

I don't know if we will have a consistently dominant pass rush, I would have also liked another upgrade at ILB, other than that, the defense looks great.

Offensively, the question is still out on the O-Line.

I think we'll be okay at ILB, I wanted another pass rusher, because, like you, I wonder if we can consistently pressure the quarterback. Shaun Phillips comes to mind.

But it's obvious that Pagano wants to use his linemen to close up the middle and collapse the pocket. Hopefully that takes the pressure off of any one individual to rack up sacks, and maybe it will lead to a lot of flush sacks. Those tend to come in bunches. 

you can quote me john if you want and ill eat crow for it, but here it goes our defense will be a top 5 defense if everyone stays healthy.

you are one of the guys that thinks FA signings are only good if guys stay healthy. hahaha!

Your kind should stick with Fantasy FB. :D

Running the ball well and andrews int`s will have the biggest effect on the D. imo

or maybe Chapman. :highfive:

But it's obvious that Pagano wants to use his linemen to close up the middle and collapse the pocket. Hopefully that takes the pressure off of any one individual to rack up sacks, and maybe it will lead to a lot of flush sacks. Those tend to come in bunches. 

Yes, this is right on the money. We could have all the outside pass rusher in the league like in the Frathis years and it does no good if the QB can just step up in the middle of the pocket. Pagano's d philosophy is much more team based than star/individual position driven.

The offense could very well be a top 5 offense, especially with the reunion of Hamilton and Luck. And Luck knows how to play Pep's offense, it is only a matter of time til everyone else catches up to it.

I predict a top 15 defense, not great but above average. I think injuries will creep up on us and take down some players, like it did last year.

Overall, I predict a good balanced team that can go 12-4 and make it as far as the AFC Championship game. I think that would be one of the best case scenario's at this point.

I'm not interested in making you eat crow...   I'll be thrilled if you're right...  Hey,  will all be thrilled if you're right, because if so, if this is a top-5 defense then we're likely in the Super Bowl.     Seriously.

Personally,  I'll be happy if we're top-16 this year...    

Honestly, at this point,  there's no reason to think we'll be a top-5 defense.   I have no idea why you'd think that?   We don't have enough pass rush and we don't have enough big play makers on defense.   At this point.    Some guys may emerge and turn into those types of players...   but I don't see that today -- August 2nd...

Remember, depending on how you're measuring it (points, or yards)  we were among the lowest rated defenses in football last year.    How would we got from the mid to low 20's to top-5?    What happened to give that kind of unprecedented jump? 

Sorry, I don't see it.   And I'm not trying to pick a fight here...   I'm just saying I don't see it...

If we're top-12 we're in great shape....   top-10 so much the better...   But I doubt we'll get that far, that highly ranked this year.

And I'm hoping I'm wrong....   I'd love to have a dominant defense to support Luck.   

But, I suspect we're at least a year or two away from that....

Just my different perspective....

I'm not interested in making you eat crow...   I'll be thrilled if you're right...  Hey,  will all be thrilled if you're right, because if so, if this is a top-5 defense then we're likely in the Super Bowl.     Seriously.

Personally,  I'll be happy if we're top-16 this year...    

Honestly, at this point,  there's no reason to think we'll be a top-5 defense.   I have no idea why you'd think that?   We don't have enough pass rush and we don't have enough big play makers on defense.   At this point.    Some guys may emerge and turn into those types of players...   but I don't see that today -- August 2nd...

Remember, depending on how you're measuring it (points, or yards)  we were among the lowest rated defenses in football last year.    How would we got from the mid to low 20's to top-5?    What happened to give that kind of unprecedented jump? 

Sorry, I don't see it.   And I'm not trying to pick a fight here...   I'm just saying I don't see it...

If we're top-12 we're in great shape....   top-10 so much the better...   But I doubt we'll get that far, that highly ranked this year.

And I'm hoping I'm wrong....   I'd love to have a dominant defense to support Luck.   

But, I suspect we're at least a year or two away from that....

Just my different perspective....

last year we had players in postions that didnt fit pagano's defense. now we have all the tools to make this a very good defense

last year we had players in postions that didnt fit pagano's defense. now we have all the tools to make this a very good defense

Agreed....   I do think we can be very good...

I just don't define very good as "top-5"....   when someone says top-5 to me in the NFL, I think of that as great,  or dominating...

And I don't think we're there yet....   Hopefully someday...  I just don't see it yet...

I think we'll be okay at ILB, I wanted another pass rusher, because, like you, I wonder if we can consistently pressure the quarterback. Shaun Phillips comes to mind.

I see a LOT of L Landry str8 up the gut tearing it up................... 

IMO, this D just needs to be middle of the pack.       And the O will take care of bizness.

But ....   if everyone stays healthy?   Why not?  

EVERYONE who has seen this team last year and this one have said to a man how much the D is SO MUCH BETTER.

Honestly,   Injuries will happen, and on and on...   but this team is really a good pass rusher from being the real deal.

Werner?

Agreed....   I do think we can be very good...

I just don't define very good as "top-5"....   when someone says top-5 to me in the NFL, I think of that as great,  or dominating...

And I don't think we're there yet....   Hopefully someday...  I just don't see it yet...

IMO, this D just needs to be middle of the pack.       And the O will take care of bizness.

But ....   if everyone stays healthy?   Why not?  

EVERYONE who has seen this team last year and this one have said to a man how much the D is SO MUCH BETTER.

Honestly,   Injuries will happen, and on and on...   but this team is really a good pass rusher from being the real deal.

Werner?

Hope you're right....

I just don't think it's wise to get hopes up too high now before we've even played one pre-season game.

How we look in practice against each other when we've only recently gotten into pads doesn't excite me that much....

And I'll be slow to get excited based on the Pre-season....     I'm slow to please that way....

But I'm looking forward to seeing a much improved defense come the regular season....

I will say this....   if we're just top-16 against both the run and the pass -- which I hope we will -- we'll be much higher ranked overall....   and maybe we reach top-12 that way....

That's my real hope....  

This team will be pretty dang good...

Book it...

I agree! I have that guy feeling as others have said. I think this team can be really really good if we stay reasonably healthy. Great year to not only root for our Colts but Pacers if you follow basketball as well. Sporting a pirma-grin!

For whatever it's worth....   stumbled into these stats this morning in a good IndyStar story about our defense....  (Bob Kravitz)

This is what I was referencing when I said it'd be a huge jump going from where we were last year all the to a top-5 defense...

• Twenty-sixth in total defense.

• Twenty-first in pass defense.

• Twenty-ninth in rush defense.

• Minus-12 in giveaway-take­away ratio.

Someone asked me about my pick for colts wins this year I said 10. Also was asked about Luck's td/int ratio I said 28/14. The person then told me I was crazy and there was no way we would win more than 7 games and Luck will suffer the biggest sophomore slump throwing 20 plus ints. Anyone else see us possibly having that bad of a season and Luck regressing so much.

Someone asked me about my pick for colts wins this year I said 10. Also was asked about Luck's td/int ratio I said 28/14. The person then told me I was crazy and there was no way we would win more than 7 games and Luck will suffer the biggest sophomore slump throwing 20 plus ints. Anyone else see us possibly having that bad of a season and Luck regressing so much.

I got luck throwing for 44 tds and 13 ints with 4100 yards and 68 percent completion

My predictions r based on how well luck performed at stanford each year his number of tds improved and completion percentage. With luck getting a year of nfl experience combined with going back to a familiar system I expect a second year by luck that rivals dan marino's. only the oline or serious injury could stand in the way.