Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Pro Bowl gets tweaked

GoColts00

I agree with MTC..it still should be AFC vs NFC...I don't like the taking away of kickoffs, and a kick returner..I know they are concerned about the injury thing with Kickoffs, but there are very special players who specialize in returns, and to have them not have a shot at the Pro Bowl is just not right IMO...the other changes I do like..especially the one where if you gain a yard or less in the last 2 minutes, the clock stops like an incomplete pass.

And Hans, I want to see the skills competition back as well...They are always fun to watch.

The problem wasn't the format. The problem was a lack of effort/competition by the players. Nice try though

agreed although I thought last year was better but that was largely because the commish called them out on how bad it was the year before you aren't going to get the kind of effort you got last year year in and out, the players wanted to prove a point last year.

The problem wasn't the format.  The problem was a lack of effort/competition by the players.  Nice try though

You are never going to fix that because football just does not lend itself to a exhibition game. Games like soccer, basketball, and baseball are better for friendlies or exhibitions, but football you just cannot do it. No player is going to go as hard in the Pro Bowl as they do a regular season game. They would be *s to hit that hard and play that hard in a meaningless game. I never blame the players for being "hurt" and skip the thing because it is just to much risk and little reward.

They just need to do away with the game all together and then name All NFC and All AFC teams and be done with it. Now that will never happen because the ratings are still so high.

I think this is a good idea. Don't think 2 teams would be enough for this idea.

Taking kick returns out is stupid, really annoys me that people like Devin Hester and other great kick returners wont make the pro bowl and it wont be from lack of good play.

I wish people would stop trying to "fix" all-star games in general when it comes to sports.  Anyone who honestly watches those games in a TEAM sport expecting to see a great game is out of their mind.  I know on paper it sounds good because you have the best of the best coming together to play a game so it should be a classic but the truth is that it's a team game made up of guys who for the most part are not a team.  These guys spend all year trying to get on the same page with each other there is no way it's going to happen for an all-star game with one week of practice.  Then on top of that the game doesn't count for anything so it's really nothing more than a glorified pre-season game and we see how bad those are. 

At the end of the day all-star games are what they are which is an exhibition game designed to get your sport a little more attention and in sports besides football give most of your players a break in the middle of the season.  Just leave it a lone, people get it and they watch, all-star games generally get decent ratings (and for as much crying as people do about it the pro-bowl was the 31st highest rated football game of any kind a year ago).  It doesn't need to be "fixed".  It needs to just be left a lone and if players don't want to go play then don't go play.  If fans thinks it's unwatchable football then don't watch it (again people can say they don't but someone is if it's the 31st highest rated football game during a year).  The only thing I've heard about the pro-bowl that does concern me is the injury factor but they have played the pro-bowl for years and the number of injuries have been small, not a high enough number to make me feel like we have to kill the game over it.  Maybe that would change if that happened to a Colt but it hasn't. 

i'm not sure what you mean....   there will still only be 2 teams...

Yeah i know there will still only be 2 teams, what i'm saying is if it was a draft situation i would expect there to be more teams like 4 teams and have a tournament because imo if there were just 2 teams it would be to easy and the teams would be too good across the board. I know that is the situation now but i think there should be 2 more teams to make it more interesting.

I think they should give the winners a reward to make the pro bowl more interesting.

Also 2 more things i have thought about regarding the new pro bowl.

Who gets the first pick? and who do they chose with the first pick?

Who would you pick with the 1st pick in the pro bowl?

Well this isn't going to go well.

Is it just me or does this seem more like a way to promote NFL.com's fantasy football league? 

I've watched the probowl since day 1. 

I'm officially sick of it. Forget it. Cancel it. It's time for the PB to become purely figurative, not literal. It's time for them to end this sham. 

Is it just me or does this seem more like a way to promote NFL.com's fantasy football league? 

I've watched the probowl since day 1. 

I'm officially sick of it. Forget it. Cancel it. It's time for the PB to become purely figurative, not literal. It's time for them to end this sham. 

It does have strong fantasy football overtones to it. I know a lot of people probably think it's a fun, cool idea but I don't like it at all. I don't mind the regular Pro Bowl but everyone knows how much of a problem it's become when it comes to effort. If they do away with it then I think the NFL should come up with another way to measure the talents and give recognition to the best players at their position in the American and National Conferences.

It does have strong fantasy football overtones to it. I know a lot of people probably think it's a fun, cool idea but I don't like it at all. I don't mind the regular Pro Bowl but everyone knows how much of a problem it's become when it comes to effort. If they do away with it then I think the NFL should come up with another way to measure the talents and give recognition to the best players at their position in the American and National Conferences.

Well...I waited for several years for them to make a change and do something with the PB. Finally, they propose a change and it appears to me to just be a coy marketing scheme. Not cool.