Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do injured athletes expect to get paid for not playing...

oldunclemark

Hearing comments about the season-ending injuries in training camp...the comment seems to be: THIS is why NFL players want guaranteed money and why you cant blame them for holding out.

I like money but I dont understand why NFL players feel they should get paid millions of dollars when they are injured and cant play when their team needs them. I dont understand the suggestion that the NFL is a cruel world because you cant get FULL pay when you can do nothing through no fault of your own...and your employee has to pay more to replace you.

Where does that mentality come from.?

Most professions have insurance where you get compensated if you are disabled.

But its not full pay...and it isnt millions...... ...and you're happy to get it.

Forget that you and I dont get paid not to work. Football players deserve cash money disability for injuries....we all get that...

But I've never heard an athlete express apprecaition that they are in a profession which pays you FULL PAY for an entire year when you cannot perform one of your duties that year.

If its in your contract, its in your contract. But players seem angry because future years can be voided when that's the way it should be, right?.

Your thoughts.

Even though they are not active they are still with the team

it is like a medical leave of absence

That's not in question.......

but its a perk of being a pro athlete that non-athletes do not get...Bob Sanders,  Peyton Manning

..and if a non-athlete gets hurt....all 'future years' FULL PAY are voided..(other than guarantees).are voided as we all know...

..isnt that the way it should be...?.

That's not a sign of a cruel, NFL world .....isnt it the way it should be??

Greg Oden has cashed a lot of checks.

That's not in question.......

but its a perk of being a pro athlete that non-athletes do not get...Bob Sanders,  Peyton Manning

..and if a non-athlete gets hurt....all 'future years' FULL PAY are voided..(other than guarantees).are voided as we all know...

..isnt that the way it should be...?.

That's not a sign of a cruel, NFL world .....isnt it the way it should be??

Greg Oden has cashed a lot of checks.

but in the "real world" a injured person gets disability for life and often a buyout  just like some of the pro athletes et when injured

If the player was just let go when or if he/she gets healthy anyone could pick them up.

I used to get a little riled up about this, but seeing the injuries to Austin Collie and Peyton Manning that 'could have/might have' ended their careers changed my stance.

I am willing to argue that with the current CBA....especially in season practices....that Peyton Manning worked harder than anyone on the entire team to get his heath back for a 'possible' return.  Rehabilitation of a knee, neck or head injury is not fun, and is an incredibly painful endeavor mentally and physically.  Will I ever play again?  Been there with head injury patients...my dad for one...just awful.

I cannot think of one player who goes out there and says "I want to be injured so I can sit and make money."  OK...there may be a select few who do with nick nack injuries....:)

I used to get a little riled up about this, but seeing the injuries to Austin Collie and Peyton Manning that 'could have/might have' ended their careers changed my stance.

I am willing to argue that with the current CBA....especially in season practices....that Peyton Manning worked harder than anyone on the entire team to get his heath back for a 'possible' return.  Rehabilitation of a knee, neck or head injury is not fun, and is an incredibly painful endeavor mentally and physically.  Will I ever play again?  Been there with head injury patients...my dad for one...just awful.

I cannot think of one player who goes out there and says "I want to be injured so I can sit and make money."  OK...there may be a select few who do with nick nack injuries.... :)

I so agree they should get fully paid.I suffer back and neck problems same as Peyton.Let me tell you the pain is so unbearable at times that the mental part starts to work on you.Even with the best medical and implants I stay in pain 24 /7 from neck and back injuries.Do you think these players retiring at early ages because of concussions should not get paid?Then shoot themselves?You have to have superman mentality to overcome these injuries.Knowing when u sleep when you can and wake up,you will be in pain everyday for the rest of your life.Sure you can take the edge off the pain some but never fully.The best the doctors can do for you is give you a little better quality of life.

Hearing comments about the season-ending injuries in training camp...the comment seems to be: THIS is why NFL players want guaranteed money and why you cant blame them for holding out.

I like money but I dont understand why NFL players feel they should get paid millions of dollars when they are injured and cant play when their team needs them. I dont understand the suggestion that the NFL is a cruel world because you cant get FULL pay when you can do nothing through no fault of your own...and your employee has to pay more to replace you.

But its not full pay...and it isnt millions...... ...and you're happy to get it.

Forget that you and I dont get paid not to work. Football players deserve cash money disability for injuries....we all get that...

But I've never heard an athlete express apprecaition that they are in a profession which pays you FULL PAY for an entire year when you cannot perform one of your duties that year.

If its in your contract, its in your contract. But players seem angry because future years can be voided when that's the way it should be, right?.

Your thoughts.

i don't know where you work, but if I'm injured on the job, i will receive substantial compensation. They have one of the most dangerous work places there are. If they are injured doing their job , they should be compensated

i don't know where you work, but if I'm injured on the job, i will receive substantial compensation. They have one of the most dangerous work places there are. If they are injured doing their job , they should be compensated

On top of that, where I work if I twist my ankle or something like that arrangements can be made to where I can still work and take home pay while I'm injured.  

In fact most companies are required to make reasonable accommodations for injured workers.  That's nearly impossible to do in the NFL.

And you are right, most are injured on the job.  

I so agree they should get fully paid.I suffer back and neck problems same as Peyton.Let me tell you the pain is so unbearable at times that the mental part starts to work on you.Even with the best medical and implants I stay in pain 24 /7 from neck and back injuries.Do you think these players retiring at early ages because of concussions should not get paid?Then shoot themselves?You have to have superman mentality to overcome these injuries.Knowing when u sleep when you can and wake up,you will be in pain everyday for the rest of your life.Sure you can take the edge off the pain some but never fully.The best the doctors can do for you is give you a little better quality of life.

I am feeling your pain buddy!  Half of the battle is stress/anxiety from pain and wondering what is next.

Then the workouts multiply...and more stress....there is no harder job than rehab...with the thoughts of NEVER regaining full health :(

I like money but I dont understand why NFL players feel they should get paid millions of dollars when they are injured and cant play when their team needs them. I dont understand the suggestion that the NFL is a cruel world because you cant get FULL pay when you can do nothing through no fault of your own...and your employee has to pay more to replace you.

But its not full pay...and it isnt millions...... ...and you're happy to get it.

If its in your contract, its in your contract. But players seem angry because future years can be voided when that's the way it should be, right?.

Your thoughts.

Would you expect to get workman's comp for getting hurt on the job? If you make millions that number is surely higher than the average person.

Also, a NFL player can only play for 20 years MAX, a lost season is at the very least 1/20th of their LIFETIME income, and playing for 20 years is generous. If you get hurt training for a job you signed a contract for, you should get paid.

Also, a NFL player can only play for 20 years MAX, a lost season is at the very least 1/20th of their LIFETIME income, and playing for 20 years is generous. If you get hurt training for a job you signed a contract for, you should get paid.

the average nfl career is 3.6 years. it's only a few of the marquee names we see have careers over 10 years. and the only reason they become marquee names is because they've defied the odds

the average nfl career is 3.6 years. it's only a few of the marquee names we see have careers over 10 years. and the only reason they become marquee names is because they've defied the odds

The average NFL career of all players who are drafted is 3.6 years, I believe.  But for the players that actually make the opening day roster, I think average NFL career length is something like 6 years.

There are two sides to this argument.  Sure, they aren't playing, but they are still in meeting rooms, watching film, contributing where they can.  Plus, they are rehabbing to get back onto the field.  Just because they are hurt, doesn't mean they are exempt from working.  They are still expecting to be at team meetings and on the practice field, taking mental reps, studying the playbook, etc.