Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We have 7 picks in the next draft

As long as we draft small, undersize players, we will continue to suffer an inordinate amount of injuries. As long as we play our pathetic, plane Jane soft zone cover 2 defense, our corners will look terrible. I was really proud of Painter tonight. On the road in a big game dealing with a patchwork line, all these things considered, he did pretty good. My favorite line of the night was when Gruden pointed out that one of our linemen who attended Western Michigan didn't even play college football. Amazing that group did as well as they did. By my count, with Manning, we would be 3-1 now. Without him, we are winless. Each game we continue to realize the importance he has with this team and how he covers so many definciencies of this team.

And at least 6 of them need to be spent on defense.

All the more reason I'm so for trading down and getting extra picks. If done wisely we could turn those 7 picks into 10-11 plus most likely get a couple extras for next year too. We can fill more holes that way and protect ourselves against a possible bust.

we need to use them wisely, all 7 of them. Matt Kalil should be our first pick, and maybe get Robert Griffin III ? :dunno:

No and no. However at least you're consistent.

You know I think we need a Safety and cornerback on defense. If we get those the defense will be greatly improved. Say we take a corner high you get a play making corner which lets you move Powers to number two and Lacey to the nickle where he belongs and now we have a very good set of cornerbacks. We need another safety in the mid rounds because Bullitt is going Bob Sanders on us and can't stay healthy.

The linebackers are as good as they have been in a while and they are mostly young guys who are just going to get better.

We could use another DT for depth reasons but I think Moala, Johnson, and Nevis having the makings of a really good rotation at that spot if we can keep them healthy and Freeney and Mathis are enough said. Heck even Hughes showed some signs of life tonight. If he develops we could be in really good shape at DT if we keep Mathis in free agency.

we need to use them wisely, all 7 of them. Matt Kalil should be our first pick, and maybe get Robert Griffin III ? :dunno:

So how is drafting Kalil useing our first pick wisely? Ijalana showed promise tonight and Castonzo has already proven to be good at the left tackle spot. We are set at tackle. We need a center or a guard.

Mathieu and/or Claiborne from LSU, Te'o from Notre Dame, and McDonald from USC top my wish list. Also, Antonio Allen from Southern Carolina impressed me this weekend, Zach Brown from UNC and Upshaw from 'Bama would also be solid.

Pick up any one of those guys, but especially one of the first 4, and our defense would really improve.

I'm also in the trade down camp because I'd like to see them gain extra picks and add more impact players. Saturday will need replaced soon. Garcon could easily be gone after this year. Wayne and Mathis will both want big paychecks, and of course, depth, depth, depth!

Mathieu and/or Claiborne from LSU, Te'o from Notre Dame, and McDonald from USC top my wish list. Also, Antonio Allen from Southern Carolina impressed me this weekend, Zach Brown from UNC and Upshaw from 'Bama would also be solid.

Pick up any one of those guys, but especially one of the first 4, and our defense would really improve.

I'm also in the trade down camp because I'd like to see them gain extra picks and add more impact players. Saturday will need replaced soon. Garcon could easily be gone after this year. Wayne and Mathis will both want big paychecks, and of course, depth, depth, depth!

If we took Upshaw he'd be a DE. Not sure if that's the direction you were going or not but that's what he'd play most likely in a 4-3. He's a 3-4 OLB and I just got done watching the 'Bama vs. Florida game and Upshaw actually had his hand down and was playing DE a good portion of the game.

If Zach Brown isn't an option then a couple guys we could look at later on would be Nigel Bradham of FSU and Keenan Robinson of Texas.

:)

The more I look at the College prospect, watch their games, and try to figure out how they will transfer to the NFL, I am liking Dre Kirkpatrick for our #1 pick if we don't decide to go QB. We are lacking in the secondary. Alabama primarily uses a 4-3 defense, which could translate well for us. He played numerous positions in high school, so he has a strong acumen of the game (he did KR/PR, some QB, and DB). He has great size for a CB at 6'3'' 192 lb and he is extremely fast with a 4.49s 40. I have been watching a lot of bama games in the past few days just to watch this kid, and my biggest selling point for him is that he does a lot of bump and run coverage. He plays 2-3 yards off of the LOS and isn't afraid to jam the receiver. If we draft him, I hope Coyer will start to steer clear of that soft zone crap we let our corners do....or we steer clear of Coyer. Either way, after watching some film on the guy, I can see why he is the top pro prospect at the CB position.

Spend them on our tiny defensive players that way next season we can make a run at a record setting amount of people on our IR! I like the idea...

We could also use that as a launch point to see if we can set a new record for total players on a roster in one season.

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh.... 2012 Colts- Record-book bound!

No mention of any WRs? Reggie barely qualifies as a #2 wideout right now, Collie did nothing to stand out, and Garcon either shows signs of brilliance (great YAC numbers, I'm not hating) or ineptitude with his hands. Where was Dallas?

Maybe I'm jaded after watching all of these Megatron highlights...

As long as we draft small, undersize players, we will continue to suffer an inordinate amount of injuries. As long as we play our pathetic, plane Jane soft zone cover 2 defense, our corners will look terrible. I was really proud of Painter tonight. On the road in a big game dealing with a patchwork line, all these things considered, he did pretty good. My favorite line of the night was when Gruden pointed out that one of our linemen who attended Western Michigan didn't even play college football. Amazing that group did as well as they did. By my count, with Manning, we would be 3-1 now. Without him, we are winless. Each game we continue to realize the importance he has with this team and how he covers so many definciencies of this team.

We really arent suffering an extreme amount of injuries..

Look at the Packers last year....

Look at the Bears..

Their top draft choice got hurt in the 2nd game...

the Giants have been smoked with injuries..

You've got to have depth at all positions...we'll see now if we have it.

No mention of any WRs? Reggie barely qualifies as a #2 wideout right now, Collie did nothing to stand out, and Garcon either shows signs of brilliance (great YAC numbers, I'm not hating) or ineptitude with his hands. Where was Dallas?

Maybe I'm jaded after watching all of these Megatron highlights...

Clark had a pretty good game but he wont get 10 catches a night without Peyton there..

Same for Collie...

I've got no complaints at all about Wayne's catching and blocking...

Pierre is what he is...

lets not blame the receivers because the QB is out..

We really arent suffering an extreme amount of injuries..

Look at the Packers last year....

Look at the Bears..

Their top draft choice got hurt in the 2nd game...

the Giants have been smoked with injuries..

You've got to have depth at all positions...we'll see now if we have it.

We were down to having players out of position on the offensive and defensive line last night......we are pretty bad with the injuries right now my friend.

Clark had a pretty good game but he wont get 10 catches a night without Peyton there..

Same for Collie...

I've got no complaints at all about Wayne's catching and blocking...

Pierre is what he is...

lets not blame the receivers because the QB is out..

Take away the brilliant running after his catch (partially helped by Wayne's great block, again, not trying to hate here) and what here screams greatness? Let's face it -- Peyton makes Collie, White, and yes even Clark look like superstars. Garcon has the talent and physical tools but is too inconsistent with his hands. Wayne HAD the talent but he's now too old.

P. Garcon 2 146 73.0 2 87 8

R. Wayne 4 59 14.8 0 21 8

D. Clark 3 46 15.3 0 21 4

A. Collie 2 16 8.0 0 11 7

J. Addai 1 7 7.0 0 7 2

B. Eldridge 1 7 7.0 0 7 1

Edit: sorry about the format...

... By my count, with Manning, we would be 3-1 now. Without him, we are winless. Each game we continue to realize the importance he has with this team and how he covers so many definciencies of this team.

I agree with the 3-1 comment. Can a player that doesn't play win MVP? Just how valuable he is has never before been so obvious.

I'm all drafting defense if we change our defensive scheme, not going from 4-3 to 3-4, but going to a base cover 2 and drafting bigger. If we're gonna stick with this swiss cheese defense, I'm on the "Suck For Luck" bandwagon. If we stay the same (which I think we will do) and not draft a future QB who isn't Andrew Luck, you new fans better get used to losing like this.

Nasty ILB...very instinctive playmaker, but he apparently has off-filed issues.

Then again....nobody's Burfict. rotfl

nah it's not off-field issues...it's ON-field issues. The guy is a personal foul machine. i read an interview with him after the first game where he talked about this and said he it was something he planned to improve on but then the next game I watched he was flagged for ripping someone's helmet off. I don't think he's a dirty player per se, he's just still not fully mature and plays with a LOT of emotion and he lets the emotion get the better of him.

all that said, I wouldn't say no to drafting him but Manti Te'o would be a much better pick imo.

How about the guy from Arizona State? I think his name is Burrfect or something like that.

I forgot Burfict somehow. Possibly because I'm really like Angry Pat at MLB, and that would be Burfict's position. I hate having guys play out of position, so Te'o would be the better pick because he's OLB and would easily supplant Wheeler.

Also, Mathieu from LSU is only a sophomore, so it doesn't look like he's coming out yet. But when he does, someone is going to get a tremendous player. Watch this guy's highlights. He's everywhere. Seriously.

And as far as WR, the only way we draft one is if we let Wayne walk, which I highly doubt is going to happen. Manning makes all of the WRs on this team what they are, but Reggie has an extra level, IMO. I'm fairly confident that it it comes down to Wayne or Mathis, Polian will choose Wayne because he always chooses offense.

In that case, add Brandon Jenkins, DE from FSU, to my list. I know Coples has the hype, but Jenkins reminds me of Jevon Kearse (healthy).

If we draft a QB, I like the RG III idea. I think he could be similar to Josh Freeman with better accuracy. The Colts can move down and get multiple picks and pick up RG III. He could learn from Peyton for a season or two. You don't keep an overall #1 sitting on the sideline. If we get #1, trade down and let somebody else have Luck (as in Andrew).

The more I look at the College prospect, watch their games, and try to figure out how they will transfer to the NFL, I am liking Dre Kirkpatrick for our #1 pick if we don't decide to go QB. We are lacking in the secondary. Alabama primarily uses a 4-3 defense, which could translate well for us. He played numerous positions in high school, so he has a strong acumen of the game (he did KR/PR, some QB, and DB). He has great size for a CB at 6'3'' 192 lb and he is extremely fast with a 4.49s 40. I have been watching a lot of bama games in the past few days just to watch this kid, and my biggest selling point for him is that he does a lot of bump and run coverage. He plays 2-3 yards off of the LOS and isn't afraid to jam the receiver. If we draft him, I hope Coyer will start to steer clear of that soft zone crap we let our corners do....or we steer clear of Coyer. Either way, after watching some film on the guy, I can see why he is the top pro prospect at the CB position.

Yes and bring Nick Saban too. He needs another chance at the NFL.

I've been a diehard Colts fan ever since their overnight Mayflower convoy to Indy back in 1984. I remained loyal to the team through the many agonizing, forgettable years before Peyton Manning came to town. I've surfed this blog for the past year now and have enjoyed reading the opinions of fellow Colts fans. This is my first try at posting, so please humor me.

I firmly agree with those who think the Colts should trade down its potential top-five draft pick for more picks, but only if Peyton can come back and play a few more years. I don't like the risky 50/50 proposition of gambling a high-first-round draft pick on any one player, no matter how promising he looks. I realize the Colts got VERY lucky when they used their 1st overall pick back in 1998 to select Peyton Manning -- and NOT the equally hyped Ryan Leaf. Thank goodness that pick paid off. However, let's not forget that in the years prior to Peyton's arrival, the Colts had twice gambled big -- and lost big -- on "Knucklehead" Jeff George and "Gambling Fool" Art Schichlter.

Every year, leading up to each draft, there is at least one or more players that get over-hyped. I don't care if the next "Fortunate One" looks like the second coming of John Elway or Peyton Manning. Very rarely do such sure-thing prospects live up to the lofty expectations of a high 1st round pick. If the history of the NFL-draft has taught us anything, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SURE THING. Just because a player has a phenomenal college career with spectacular stats and ideal measurables does not guarantee he will succeed at the next level.

No other position has a tougher transition from college to pro-ball than QB. Just about every top QB prospect brings a strong arm and good accuracy, but to have any shot at success at the next level, they must also possess a high football IQ, strong work ethic, competitive streak, and a love of the game beyond the fat signing bonus and lottery-jackpot contract. That huge NFL bankroll and instant fame can easily over-inflate a player's ego while magnifying his character flaws. Temptations, vices, and addictions are endless when a young athlete can suddenly buy anything he wants. ANYTHING.

Not surprisingly, there have been FAR more QB busts than hits over the decades. For every John Elway, Troy Aikman or Peyton Manning, there are many more early first-round whiffs like Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Jeff George, David Carr, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, David Klingler, Byron Leftwich, Matt Leinart, Alex Smith, and numerous others, ad-nauseum. Every one of these QB failures had impressive college careers and were touted as future franchise QBs, but for various reasons they never lived up to their high draft picks. If you want a good laugh, use the Google wayback machine and read the glowing pre-draft scouting reports on some of these can't-miss-franchise-QB busts.

I'm not predicting the next "Golden Boy" will bust, but what if he turns out to be just a mediocre NFL QB? Would he still warrant the first overall pick in the draft? Keep in mind, even among those QBs that manage to succeed at the pro-level, only a small handfull are consistently pro-bowl caliber performers -- currently 3, maybe 4. Hopefully, we still have one of them, and with the luxury of Peyton Manning back at the helm for a few more years, I would much rather the Colts trade down and select an underrated QB talent hoping to find the next Drew Brees (he was 2nd rounder), or take a long-shot flier on a development QB in the late rounds looking for the next Tom Brady (a 6th rounder.) Failing to hit on a 2nd-to-late-round QB is much less harmful than swinging big and striking out on an early first rounder. That early 1st round pick is too valuable to gamble on any one single player.

The pundits and mock-draft sites are proclaiming the 2012 draft will be loaded deep with good prospects (especially at QB, WR, DB, and OL). If appears many high-talent players will still be available well into the 3rd round. If this proves true, it would be very smart strategy to trade down for more picks and get much better draft value. With the expected rush on QBs and elite WRs early in the draft, a few of the top-ten rated prospects at other positions will likely slide into the middle of the first round. Furthermore, some first-round-caliber players will inevitably slip into the early second round where the Colts will be in great position to pounce.

If the Colts end up with the 1st overall pick, the team could actually trade down TWICE and still pick in the middle of the first round while accumulating a boatload of extra draft picks in 2012 AND 2013. Based on the NFL Draft Pick Value Chart, that first overall selection is worth a mint. Considering how the Atlanta Falcons traded their 1st & 2nd & 4th round picks in 2011 PLUS their 1st & 4th rounders in 2012 just to move up from 27th to 6th to acquire Julio Jones, imagine what another team would offer up for the #1 overall pick to acquire the "Chosen One."

The best case scenario for the Colts would be a bidding war among several teams such as Miami, Seattle, San Francisco, and Washington that are desperate for the next guaranteed Hall of Fame QB (ahem). The Colts could trade down a few spots into the #5-8 range and acquire additional early 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2012 PLUS an extra 1st rounder in 2013. If an elite prospect like Alshon Jeffrey / Justin Blackmon / Matt Barkley / Dre Kirkpatrick is still avaialble in that #5-8 range, the Colts might be tempted to use that pick. Otherwise, if another team covets any of these athletes more than the Colts and is willing to pay dearly for him, the Colts could trade down again into the middle of the first round and acquire DT Brandon Thompson or CB Morris Claiborne or LB Manti Teo while accumulating even more picks (probably extra 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2012 and an addditional 1st rounder in 2013.) The team can still draft a promising young QB like Ryan Tannehill or Robert Griffin with one of their two early 2nd round picks

In summary, if the Colts are willing to trade down into the middle of the 1st round, they could parlay the 1st overall pick into two extra 2nd rounders and 2 extra 3rd rounders in 2012 while stockpiling two additional 1st rounders in 2013. :eek: It begs the question: Is the "Anointed One" so vastly superior to the other top QB prospects that the Colts must take him and thereby pass up a king's ransom in draft picks?

I've been a diehard Colts fan ever since their overnight Mayflower convoy to Indy back in 1984. I remained loyal to the team through the many agonizing, forgettable years before Peyton Manning came to town. I've surfed this blog for the past year now and have enjoyed reading the opinions of fellow Colts fans. This is my first try at posting, so please humor me.

I firmly agree with those who think the Colts should trade down its potential top-five draft pick for more picks, but only if Peyton can come back and play a few more years. I don't like the risky 50/50 proposition of gambling a high-first-round draft pick on any one player, no matter how promising he looks. I realize the Colts got VERY lucky when they used their 1st overall pick back in 1998 to select Peyton Manning -- and NOT the equally hyped Ryan Leaf. Thank goodness that pick paid off. However, let's not forget that in the years prior to Peyton's arrival, the Colts had twice gambled big -- and lost big -- on "Knucklehead" Jeff George and "Gambling Fool" Art Schichlter.

Every year, leading up to each draft, there is at least one or more players that get over-hyped. I don't care if the next "Fortunate One" looks like the second coming of John Elway or Peyton Manning. Very rarely do such sure-thing prospects live up to the lofty expectations of a high 1st round pick. If the history of the NFL-draft has taught us anything, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SURE THING. Just because a player has a phenomenal college career with spectacular stats and ideal measurables does not guarantee he will succeed at the next level.

No other position has a tougher transition from college to pro-ball than QB. Just about every top QB prospect brings a strong arm and good accuracy, but to have any shot at success at the next level, they must also possess a high football IQ, strong work ethic, competitive streak, and a love of the game beyond the fat signing bonus and lottery-jackpot contract. That huge NFL bankroll and instant fame can easily over-inflate a player's ego while magnifying his character flaws. Temptations, vices, and addictions are endless when a young athlete can suddenly buy anything he wants. ANYTHING.

Not surprisingly, there have been FAR more QB busts than hits over the decades. For every John Elway, Troy Aikman or Peyton Manning, there are many more early first-round whiffs like Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Jeff George, David Carr, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, David Klingler, Byron Leftwich, Matt Leinart, Alex Smith, and numerous others, ad-nauseum. Every one of these QB failures had impressive college careers and were touted as future franchise QBs, but for various reasons they never lived up to their high draft picks. If you want a good laugh, use the Google wayback machine and read the glowing pre-draft scouting reports on some of these can't-miss-franchise-QB busts.

I'm not predicting the next "Golden Boy" will bust, but what if he turns out to be just a mediocre NFL QB? Would he still warrant the first overall pick in the draft? Keep in mind, even among those QBs that manage to succeed at the pro-level, only a small handfull are consistently pro-bowl caliber performers -- currently 3, maybe 4. Hopefully, we still have one of them, and with the luxury of Peyton Manning back at the helm for a few more years, I would much rather the Colts trade down and select an underrated QB talent hoping to find the next Drew Brees (he was 2nd rounder), or take a long-shot flier on a development QB in the late rounds looking for the next Tom Brady (a 6th rounder.) Failing to hit on a 2nd-to-late-round QB is much less harmful than swinging big and striking out on an early first rounder. That early 1st round pick is too valuable to gamble on any one single player.

The pundits and mock-draft sites are proclaiming the 2012 draft will be loaded deep with good prospects (especially at QB, WR, DB, and OL). If appears many high-talent players will still be available well into the 3rd round. If this proves true, it would be very smart strategy to trade down for more picks and get much better draft value. With the expected rush on QBs and elite WRs early in the draft, a few of the top-ten rated prospects at other positions will likely slide into the middle of the first round. Furthermore, some first-round-caliber players will inevitably slip into the early second round where the Colts will be in great position to pounce.

If the Colts end up with the 1st overall pick, the team could actually trade down TWICE and still pick in the middle of the first round while accumulating a boatload of extra draft picks in 2012 AND 2013. Based on the NFL Draft Pick Value Chart, that first overall selection is worth a mint. Considering how the Atlanta Falcons traded their 1st & 2nd & 4th round picks in 2011 PLUS their 1st & 4th rounders in 2012 just to move up from 27th to 6th to acquire Julio Jones, imagine what another team would offer up for the #1 overall pick to acquire the "Chosen One."

The best case scenario for the Colts would be a bidding war among several teams such as Miami, Seattle, San Francisco, and Washington that are desperate for the next guaranteed Hall of Fame QB (ahem). The Colts could trade down a few spots into the #5-8 range and acquire additional early 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2012 PLUS an extra 1st rounder in 2013. If an elite prospect like Alshon Jeffrey / Justin Blackmon / Matt Barkley / Dre Kirkpatrick is still avaialble in that #5-8 range, the Colts might be tempted to use that pick. Otherwise, if another team covets any of these athletes more than the Colts and is willing to pay dearly for him, the Colts could trade down again into the middle of the first round and acquire DT Brandon Thompson or CB Morris Claiborne or LB Manti Teo while accumulating even more picks (probably extra 2nd & 3rd round picks in 2012 and an addditional 1st rounder in 2013.) The team can still draft a promising young QB like Ryan Tannehill or Robert Griffin with one of their two early 2nd round picks

In summary, if the Colts are willing to trade down into the middle of the 1st round, they could parlay the 1st overall pick into two extra 2nd rounders and 2 extra 3rd rounders in 2012 while stockpiling two additional 1st rounders in 2013. :eek: It begs the question: Is the "Anointed One" so vastly superior to the other top QB prospects that the Colts must take him and thereby pass up a king's ransom in draft picks?

I totally agree, man! I think, if we do end up with the #1 pick, we are going to have an opportunity unlike any team has ever had before. If we play it right, and the cards all fall into place just so, we could end up getting like 10 round 1-3 picks in exchange for 1 pick! I really like your idea of trading down twice, that's a frickin' awesome idea! This draft is going to be very, very deep and we could really capitalize on that! I'd like to see us take whatever 2013 draft picks we get in trade, and turn those right back around and trade them to other teams for more 2012 picks too. Then we can get all of our high picks this year (2012, I mean) and they can all start getting some NFL experience and building continuity together immediately. Plus, with the depth of this year's draft, a second round pick could actually prove to be higher quality than a first round pick in 2013. And we've only got so much time left with Manning, so we need to get our players on this team asap and get on with winning more superbowls!

+1 for your first post. :D I've suggested even the trade down twice scenario but there are some people so in love with Luck that they still don't think it'd be worth it. Personally I can't fathom how anyone could feel that way but so be it. In my perfect world scenario, one of those trade downs goes to Cleveland in exchange for their 2 first round picks this year. Even if that's not possible though the additional 2nd and 3rd round picks could bring in several potential starters or at the very worst top quality depth.

It is time to draft in order !! Rd.1 DT RD2.CB Rd3.DT RD4 QB or a C RD5 LB RD6 WR RD7 OG

So what if we have the 3rd overall pick and the best DT on the board is rated as a late first round pick while a corner is there who rated as one of the top players in the draft? Should we still pass on the CB for a DT?

So how is drafting Kalil useing our first pick wisely? Ijalana showed promise tonight and Castonzo has already proven to be good at the left tackle spot. We are set at tackle. We need a center or a guard.

I'm just thinking if Diem can play guard, so can Ijalana. He's versatile and very strong. If we draft Kalil, we put him at LT, and then put Castonzo back at RT, the spot he played in high school and at the beginning of his college career. What I mean by wisely is that we need to make safe picks... no Da'Quan Bowers or anything like that.

I'm just thinking if Diem can play guard, so can Ijalana. He's versatile and very strong. If we draft Kalil, we put him at LT, and then put Castonzo back at RT, the spot he played in high school and at the beginning of his college career. What I mean by wisely is that we need to make safe picks... no Da'Quan Bowers or anything like that.

Castonzo finished 3 years of clege football as a left tackle, however, and seemed to be marginally better there. Kalil is a superfluous pick.