Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official Training Camp thread (mega merge)

ell_chrisso

Scratch him Can't block cant be a 3rd down back to all of you thinking he already made the team

Why can't he be a 3rd down back? Every RB on our team (sans Bradshaw) can't block. And I'd bet Williams can catch better than any of them.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't he be a 3rd down back? Every RB on our team (sans Bradshaw) can't block. And I'd bet Williams can catch better than any of them.

That's not exactly true.  Brown is a pretty good blocker.  Vick got to be decent by the end of the year.  Neither compared to Joe or Edge, but they're serviceable. 

Let's see what Williams does against pro players before we crown him.  It's really not fair to make a comparison yet.

Brown blocks fine & Ballard is going to be fine, & bradshaw is good, Carter isn't that bad either. I just find it funny that most have this Williams making the team as a 7th round guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL and anoint him the 3rd down back :thinking:

DHB is not without Talent, but TY has it. I just hope he can hold up with his small frame.

Why are you acting like they're not on the same team?  TY's success doesn't diminish DHBs, or vice versa.  We want both of those guys to be stars.

I'm rooting for both of them.  If they're both forces, Reggie and the TE's will have free reign in the middle.  (All of that depends on the O line being adequate, I get that)

But the coaching staff said DHB is our #2 wide receiver. Fact

So if we run 2 wide receivers on the first play vs Oakland, it'll be Wayne & DHB. Fact

But none of that matters cause everyone on the receiving, running back, & tight end cores will see alot of playing time

1. sure that's what they've said...for now.  I don't think there's a zero percent chance that could change though.  I don't think there are many spots on the roster that are a lock as of right now.  I certainly wouldn't consider DHB a "lock".  the #2 spot may be his to lose but that doesn't mean there's no way he could lose it

2. that's just not a fact at all.  it's not at all uncommon for a player to be listed as a "starter" without actually being on the field for the first play of the game.  Even if Wayne and DHB are penciled in as the starters, the coaches may want to try DHB and Hilton on the first play.  

3. I agree with your last comment, which is why i don't get the big deal about who the #2 and #3 receivers are on the depth chart.  Hilton and DHB both will see plenty of playing time provided they both stay healthy.

Brown blocks fine & Ballard is going to be fine, & bradshaw is good, Carter isn't that bad either. I just find it funny that most have this Williams making the team as a 7th round guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL and anoint him the 3rd down back :thinking:

I really hope Williams makes it, but let's face it, we all know how the NFL works.  If the kid can't block, the word will get around faster than the speed of light.  If he's the third down back or lone back on a play, there will be a blitz every time.  When he was getting blown up in practice, you can extend that to Luck being hit if it were for real.

Protecting the franchise is job 1 for this team.

Why are you acting like they're not on the same team? TY's success doesn't diminish DHBs, or vice versa. We want both of those guys to be stars.

I'm rooting for both of them. If they're both forces, Reggie and the TE's will have free reign in the middle. (All of that depends on the O line being adequate, I get that)

I have witnessed enough of DHB to say that the Colts will be a much more explosive offense playing TY more. He is a better catcher, better route runner, seems more energetic and charismatic. He has flare. And I think he deserves to start as the #2 wr.

Ballard and Carter are awful blockers. I'll give you Brown and Bradshaw. And I 'm pretty sure people have Williams making the roster as a KR with some 3rd down ability. Not neccecarily as a pure 3rd down back.

Also, getting beat once or twice in TC doesn't automatically make you a bad blocker. But with how reactionary everyone has been so far this TC I'm not suprised people would jump to that conclusion.

I have witnessed enough of DHB to say that the Colts will be a much more explosive offense playing TY more. He is a better catcher, better route runner, seems more energetic and charismatic. He has flare. And I think he deserves to start as the #2 wr.

You've been to practice?  If you're talking about watching him when he played with the Raiders, you haven't seen him.

I get the feeling you're a younger poster?  I'm trying to stress that it's really not a competition between those two. They'll both be on the field, probably for an equal number of plays.  It doesn't really matter who starts.

No offense intended.

Ballard and Carter are awful blockers. I'll give you Brown and Bradshaw. And I 'm pretty sure people have Williams making the roster as a KR with some 3rd down ability. Not neccecarily as a pure 3rd down back.

Also, getting beat once or twice in TC doesn't automatically make you a bad blocker. But with how reactionary everyone has been so far this TC I'm not suprised people would jump to that conclusion.

Ballard might be awful according to the overall numbers, but he improved as the season went on. And most rookie backs are bad pass blockers. We happened to have a few who had a knack for it, but even Edge and Joe struggled as rookies.

Carter doesn't have a knack for it, but again, he's never gotten consistent time on the field. And he's probably not ever going to, at least not for the Colts.

As for Williams, he's slight of build and was probably mostly used as a receiving option on third down in college. There's just not a lot of potential for him to become a good pass blocker. Then again, he could wind up being Darren Sproles, who is somehow a really good protector. But that's probably not that likely. He can be a scatback/returner, but it wouldn't make sense to use him as a third down back when we have several better options.

Ballard might be awful according to the overall numbers, but he improved as the season went on. And most rookie backs are bad pass blockers. We happened to have a few who had a knack for it, but even Edge and Joe struggled as rookies.

Carter doesn't have a knack for it, but again, he's never gotten consistent time on the field. And he's probably not ever going to, at least not for the Colts.

As for Williams, he's slight of build and was probably mostly used as a receiving option on third down in college. There's just not a lot of potential for him to become a good pass blocker. Then again, he could wind up being Darren Sproles, who is somehow a really good protector. But that's probably not that likely. He can be a scatback/returner, but it wouldn't make sense to use him as a third down back when we have several better options.

I agree with most of that.  But I'm still not sold on Williams until I see him in a real game.

Sproles played major college football.  He was an effective runner, as well as scat backing, etc.  He continued to show he could do the same in the pros.

If you look at Williams rushing stats against the few major teams they played, he wasn't very good.  But it seemed he was still their main pass receiver.  Which means he's good when you can get him in the open field, but not so good as a RB against decent competition.

I'd love for him to be our KR man, and a 3rd down explosive type of back.  We'll know soon enough if he fits that description.

My original thread was to keep it all together.. as I knew it would be a big topic if everyone was interested, but keeping it day to day is alot easier for people to access info from certain practices.

Think we are all desperate for any info we can find without there being a real football game, especially after the off season we have had!

Maybe after camp breaks, I'll do a mega-merge of all the camp threads, just for you. Then we can see how close it would have gotten to the record.

@ColtsAuth_Kyle8s

Ballard gets beat by Sheppard in blocking drills, Fleener handles Sidbury well.

@andrewmishler: Lawrence Sidbury abused every tight end he faced in pass rushing drills. Stood out from the rest.

This type of stuff cracks me up. Sounds like Sidbury is a stud out there, but at least Fleener got a good rep against him.

Ty reminds me somewhat of Marvin. Play maker, very elusive. Hands have a long way to go to be in that talk but arrow is defanitly pointing up!!

Nowhere near the route-runner either, but that's a tall order. The explosiveness is definitely there.

I agree with most of that.  But I'm still not sold on Williams until I see him in a real game.

Sproles played major college football.  He was an effective runner, as well as scat backing, etc.  He continued to show he could do the same in the pros.

If you look at Williams rushing stats against the few major teams they played, he wasn't very good.  But it seemed he was still their main pass receiver.  Which means he's good when you can get him in the open field, but not so good as a RB against decent competition.

I'd love for him to be our KR man, and a 3rd down explosive type of back.  We'll know soon enough if he fits that description.

Yeah, I think a lot of us are getting ahead of ourselves with Williams. I hope we can find a spot for him, but he's not going to be this outstanding third down back, I don't think. Especially if he can't pass block.

I believe TY will get more plays than DHB if both stay healthy. TY is the better player. Fact

yea and it's obvious in training camp as well.  DHB cant hold on to the ball.  what about our other secret wepeon at receiver?  he is magnificent --- he holds on to EVERYTHING.....holy cow.  TY is good too but man this guy is "The Glue".  Any guesses?

I really hope Williams makes it, but let's face it, we all know how the NFL works.  If the kid can't block, the word will get around faster than the speed of light.  If he's the third down back or lone back on a play, there will be a blitz every time.  When he was getting blown up in practice, you can extend that to Luck being hit if it were for real.

Protecting the franchise is job 1 for this team.

I think the idea is he would be a situational 3rd down type guy. A guy they will try to get into the open field and I would be surprised if his plays would call for him to pass block a whole lot. Whether or not this warrants a roster spot is beyond my knowledge for sure. The obvious would be that he might need to be that best KR for sure.

As far as the "better competition" thing . IMO could be the case as you say but maybe not. I would think his offensive line would be over matched and maybe it was tough for him to hit a whole that might not have been there. Plus harder to turn the corner as the better comp. is certainly faster.

That all said , sometimes guys are steal in the 7th round and sometimes they went right where they were supposed to go.

So that's why Luck sees him open so often.

*Flair