Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching, coaching, coaching

antipatriot

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again it is obvious that we have a coaching problem. A challenge that we didnt go for, our soft zone D I mean really it has been killing us for years and well it still is. We need some aggressive D.

Just a reminder it was DAVID Caldwell, not Jim that dropped the INT in the endzone on the Bucs TD drive.

The Colts are playing with all rookies and Powers and Bethea in the secondary there isn't a whole lot they can do to be aggressive.

Now on the otherside of the ball they do need to adjust. The Bucs have figured out the Colts are just running curl routes and the Bucs corners are starting to jump the routes. If the Colts don't adjust look for a pick 6 coming soon. The Colts need to hit them with a slant or something. Reggie's big catch came on a slant.

Ill put money on it that Manning called that TD play

you'd be wrong, Painter was on the radio last week and talked about how the Peyton process works and Painter went out of his way to say Peyton doesn't call plays because that was the first question he was asked. In fact tonight they showed the phone and said Painter has to call Manning to talk to him not the other way around and Painter said Peyton isn't in his helmet because NFL rules the only guy who can talk to the QB in his helmet is the coach on the sideline and that is Christison.

Coaching made no notable D adjustments the entire game - thats not on the players thats all on them, the coaches. I also thought we should have challenged that play in the first half ... That cardboard cutout called Caldwell was quick to challenge a play last week that netted us 1-2 yards at most yet fails to do so when it really can help us if it goes our way. Even if those calls dont go our way you really gotta make them!

Just a reminder it was DAVID Caldwell, not Jim that dropped the INT in the endzone on the Bucs TD drive.

The Colts are playing with all rookies and Powers and Bethea in the secondary there isn't a whole lot they can do to be aggressive.

Now on the otherside of the ball they do need to adjust. The Bucs have figured out the Colts are just running curl routes and the Bucs corners are starting to jump the routes. If the Colts don't adjust look for a pick 6 coming soon. The Colts need to hit them with a slant or something. Reggie's big catch came on a slant.

There is no way you cant deny this is not a coaching problem... just forget David's drop and look at all the rest of the plays, the coaches made no adjustments AT ALL. Im usually the type of person to give the coaches the benefit of a doubt but not tonight, not after this.

I agree 100% with you. I think that the coaching/game planning has always been a bit subpar. Peyton was able to cover it up. But how does someone explain how Brady can have a bunch of middle of the road players and they go up and down the field on offense. Take Brady out. Oh, Cassel can do it! Oh, throw Brian Hoying in there, and he is moving them well. Their offensive system, like the 49ers of the 80s, seems to always leave someone open. Yet, with our system, it is more hit or miss. IF Manning is in, and IF the timing is perfect and IF the defensive against it was correct, then it will probably work. Manning has to be perfect almost all the time. Brady doesn't have that burden. Nor do most other QBs.

There is no way you cant deny this is not a coaching problem... just forget David's drop and look at all the rest of the plays, the coaches made no adjustments AT ALL. Im usually the type of person to give the coaches the benefit of a doubt but not tonight, not after this.

Yeah because they were out of players to adjust with. When you have all rookies you can't make adjustments. The Colts were up 10-0 at the time of the dropped INT. If he makes that play and the Colts go down and score it's 17-0 and you might have broken the young Bucs spirit. That dropped INT was the turning point in the game because it let the Bucs back into it.

Yeah because they were out of players to adjust with. When you have all rookies you can't make adjustments. The Colts were up 10-0 at the time of the dropped INT. If he makes that play and the Colts go down and score it's 17-0 and you might have broken the young Bucs spirit. That dropped INT was the turning point in the game because it let the Bucs back into it.

We still had chances to make plays but could not. If you are playing with rookies in the secondary but want to preach "next man up", then sign free agents who can contribute or coach up the rookies and UDFAs. Can't have it both ways.

I agree 100% with you. I think that the coaching/game planning has always been a bit subpar. Peyton was able to cover it up. But how does someone explain how Brady can have a bunch of middle of the road players and they go up and down the field on offense. Take Brady out. Oh, Cassel can do it! Oh, throw Brian Hoying in there, and he is moving them well. Their offensive system, like the 49ers of the 80s, seems to always leave someone open. Yet, with our system, it is more hit or miss. IF Manning is in, and IF the timing is perfect and IF the defensive against it was correct, then it will probably work. Manning has to be perfect almost all the time. Brady doesn't have that burden. Nor do most other QBs.

Because he has maybe the best o-line in football. You give any QB as long as Brady has to throw and he is going to pick defenses apart. That's been the biggest problem on the offense right now the o-line. The first attempt to fix the line didn't work and this is what happens when you miss on a guy like Ugoh you feel it for years to come. It looks like the second attempt is going to work but the young guys have to learn and Castonzo has bene playing well and Ijalana did pretty good for getting thrown into the fire tonight and Reitz has done well. At the end of the game we were down to playing undrafted guys on the line and the protection broke down not shocking.

I hope lefeged starts next week, but you can make adjustments, those rookies are paid and on this team because they are suppose to make plays no matter what position they are in, for get the rookies, it was the coaches play calling that got the colts in sticky situations.... Not adjusting early on the bucs defensive blitz's and not adjusting on the bucs chewing up yards on their zone defenses.

these rookies who are playing, were drafted to play nfl football , tampa bay is the nfls youngest team , no excuse , no talent, bad draft picks is what i see

We still had chances to make plays but could not. If you are playing with rookies in the secondary but want to preach "next man up", then sign free agents who can contribute or coach up the rookies and UDFAs. Can't have it both ways.

The Colts did sign free agents. They don't have money to go get big name guys. Again what big name guys would you like to give up on offense to sign other players on defense? Then we would be complaining about a lack of weapons on offense. People can't have that both ways but they want it.

People were all over the coaches tonight. Yet it was a player who didn't make the key play. Not a lack of coaching. There is only so much coaching one can do in the middle of game. Sometimes you just run out of talent and that's what happened tonight. I have always said next man up only goes so deep. When over half the defense is next man up, your starting all world QB is next man up and all but Jeff Saturday on the o-line is next man up or playing hurt you are now too deep into it.

I hope lefeged starts next week, but you can make adjustments, those rookies are paid and on this team because they are suppose to make plays no matter what position they are in, for get the rookies, it was the coaches play calling that got the colts in sticky situations.... Not adjusting early on the bucs defensive blitz's and not adjusting on the bucs chewing up yards on their zone defenses.

They don't know the advanced stuff to do the things like the blitzs and what not. They were playing the base Tampa-2 defense because that's what they know. Now like I said in another thread I would listen to an arguement that the Tampa-2 needs to go but it's not going to go in the middle of the season.

The Colts did sign free agents. They don't have money to go get big name guys. Again what big name guys would you like to give up on offense to sign other players on defense? Then we would be complaining about a lack of weapons on offense. People can't have that both ways but they want it.

People were all over the coaches tonight. Yet it was a player who didn't make the key play. Not a lack of coaching. There is only so much coaching one can do in the middle of game. Sometimes you just run out of talent and that's what happened tonight. I have always said next man up only goes so deep. When over half the defense is next man up, your starting all world QB is next man up and all but Jeff Saturday on the o-line is next man up or playing hurt you are now too deep into it.

I never suggested to give up anyone on offense, maybe others did. I do think the coaching on D should take a few more risks and not worry excessively about preventing a TD on 3rd and long while they should be playing to prevent the first down even if they are in the red zone (though our case was in the middle of the field). Sometimes, you don't know how your talent will respond until you take a few risks with them.

Was it Jim Caldwell who dropped the INT in the endzone that turned the game around? Like they said on the broadcast you have to make that play and teams that don't lose.

What is your first name? We obviously know what your last is at this point. How can anyone make a valid point that he is a quality head coach.

They don't know the advanced stuff to do the things like the blitzs and what not. They were playing the base Tampa-2 defense because that's what they know. Now like I said in another thread I would listen to an arguement that the Tampa-2 needs to go but it's not going to go in the middle of the season.

They can practice those things several times with an extra day of practice before implementing it, I don't see why not, practice makes perfect they say :). You are just continuing to give excuses for the players and coaches like they cannot do anything wrong. Tampa 2 can be tweaked situationally and that is what I want to see.

I never suggested to give up anyone on offense, maybe others did. I do think the coaching on D should take a few more risks and not worry excessively about preventing a TD on 3rd and long while they should be playing to prevent the first down even if they are in the red zone (though our case was in the middle of the field). Sometimes, you don't know how your talent will respond until you take a few risks with them.

They can't, the players barely know the base system because they are so young. I am sure if we had more expierenced guys out there you would see more chances. We took some chances in the Texans defense and they didn't work we didn't get home on the blitzs. As the year goes along and these younger guys players gets more playing time I am guessing you'll see them take a few more risks.

They can't, the players barely know the base system because they are so young. I am sure if we had more expierenced guys out there you would see more chances. We took some chances in the Texans defense and they didn't work we didn't get home on the blitzs. As the year goes along and these younger guys players gets more playing time I am guessing you'll see them take a few more risks.

Not if you practice well enough with different combinations till you find out what combinations work. That is what practice is for and that is what coaches are for. Otherwise, it is like saying that this talent is just not good enough. Then, it is on the management for not giving the coaches the talent to work with.

They can practice those things several times with an extra day of practice before implementing it, I don't see why not, practice makes perfect they say :). You are just continuing to give excuses for the players and coaches like they cannot do anything wrong. Tampa 2 can be tweaked situationally and that is what I want to see.

Yeah and now that those guys are going to be playing I am sure you wil see them practice them. Again, you don't just learn a whole defense in a week which is what a couple of these guys had to do before starting and a couple came in there tonight due to injury. Just like with Collins on offense, you saw how handcuffed it was because he didn't know the offense. When we went to Painter who did you saw the offense open up. Samething on defense.

I am not saying the coaches can't do anything wrong either. I am just saying they don't everything wrong like some fans make it seem like. There are plunty of people pointing out there flaws without me needing to add to it.

Yeah and now that those guys are going to be playing I am sure you wil see them practice them. Again, you don't just learn a whole defense in a week which is what a couple of these guys had to do before starting and a couple came in there tonight due to injury. Just like with Collins on offense, you saw how handcuffed it was because he didn't know the offense. When we went to Painter who did you saw the offense open up. Samething on defense.

I am not saying the coaches can't do anything wrong either. I am just saying they don't everything wrong like some fans make it seem like. There are plunty of people pointing out there flaws without me needing to add to it.

But these rookies have been through training camp and pre-season together, not the case with Collins. Coyer had ample time to coach these guys up.

Not if you practice well enough with different combinations till you find out what combinations work. That is what practice is for and that is what coaches are for. Otherwise, it is like saying that this talent is just not good enough. Then, it is on the management for not giving the coaches the talent to work with.

There is only so much practice time in a week and you have to practice the game plan at some point too. Again, as these guys spend more time in the defense I think you will see more chances as the season goes along. When you have young guys though you start with the base defense ot make sure they have that down first and build from there.

That talent isn't good enough and yes you can blame that on management although I think if healthy the talent would be better and I would also point that we are built to be an offesive team. We were held to 17 points tonight. We averaged 27 a game last year. If we scored our average of last year we win tonight. It's not like they signed most of these guys to start. They were signed to be back ups and with so many guys hurt right now they are being forced into it. When you have too many of those guys hurt at once you can't over come it.

But these rookies have been through training camp and pre-season together, not the case with Collins. Coyer had ample time to coach these guys up.

They also missed all of OTAs and the time they would have had with the playbook and over the off-season because of the lock out. Again that was something that was pointed out younger players were going to struggle because of that. Again no likes the facts that we are hurt and young because of the injuries because there is nothing you can do about it.

Sometimes it's just not your year and this is one of those years for the Colts for sure. We are just lucky we've only had one of these years this bad in the past 10 years.

Several questionable decisions tonight. I don't have a problem with a pass on 3rd and inches, as long as you plan on going for it on 4th if it's not completed. Instead, we pass and don't get it, nearly throw a pick, and then we punt and gain about 20 yards of field position?

Also i thought the incomplete pass ruling earlier in the game should have been reviewed. Maybe that's why they hired Tressell because someone isn't doing the job somewhere.

The decision to accept the penalty earlier in the game when it would have been 4th down. We ended up giving a first down on that series.

Like I said in the other thread, the cover 2 is not so different from the tampa 2 that the cover 2 can't be the base defense. That alone would make a big improvement. Dropping the coverage and the MIKE beyond the first down marker on every play killed us on many, many plays. Yes the dropped INT hurt but that one play wasn't the reason tampa drove the ball at the end of the half or for the majority of the rest of the game.

Last play of the game. Every1 in the universe knew there would be a quarterback sneak on the Last 4th and inches. And what does Caldwell do, Move all his linebackers to the OUTSIDE OF THE D ENDS. AHHHHHHH. THEY COULD NOT HAVE MADE IT EASIER FOR THE BUCS.

COMMON PEOPLE THE COACHES HAVE BEEN KILLING US ON DEFENSE FOR YEARS.

That talent isn't good enough and yes you can blame that on management although I think if healthy the talent would be better and I would also point that we are built to be an offesive team. We were held to 17 points tonight. We averaged 27 a game last year. If we scored our average of last year we win tonight. It's not like they signed most of these guys to start. They were signed to be back ups and with so many guys hurt right now they are being forced into it. When you have too many of those guys hurt at once you can't over come it.

With the "next man up" philosophy, the IFs and BUTs are forbidden :) (j/k). Our best chances for winning was creating turnovers, I don't think we created one and we dropped one INT that fell into our hands.

I do not think Lefeged and Caldwell were signed to be backups, they are expected to make plays when opportunities present themselves. They just did not get it done today. Otherwise, we can always say "hey Painter, we expect you just to put up 17 to 20 points because we expected you to be JUST that, a back up", "hey Lefeged, we don't expect you to make plays in pass coverage, just play containment and tackle because you are JUST that, a backup" and so on. It is not reasonable to expect a Lefeged to get multiple INTs a game but it is reasonable to expect Lefeged to break up a few passes. Even with reasonable expectations, our D did not deliver today and the coaches could have dialed up the pressure a notch, IMO. After all, Angerer and Wheeler at least have 2 years under their belt, both under Coyer to get the LBs in the right spots should blitzes be used. Powers and Bethea have 2 years under Coyer as well to put the secondary in the right spots should blitzes be used, IMO.

With the "next man up" philosophy, the IFs and BUTs are forbidden :) (j/k). Our best chances for winning was creating turnovers, I don't think we created one and we dropped one INT that fell into our hands.

I do not think Lefeged and Caldwell were signed to be backups, they are expected to make plays when opportunities present themselves. They just did not get it done today. Otherwise, we can always say "hey Painter, we expect you just to put up 17 to 20 points because we expected you to be JUST that, a back up", "hey Lefeged, we don't expect you to make plays in pass coverage, just play containment and tackle because you are JUST that, a backup" and so on. It is not reasonable to expect a Lefeged to get multiple INTs a game but it is reasonable to expect Lefeged to break up a few passes. Even with reasonable expectations, our D did not deliver today and the coaches could have dialed up the pressure a notch, IMO. After all, Angerer and Wheeler at least have 2 years under their belt, both under Coyer. Powers and Bethea have 2 years under them as well to put the secondary in the right spots should blitzes be used, IMO.

Like I said next man up only goes so deep. When you are six players into on defense and four players into on offense (and one of them is our all world QB) that's too deep. That's nearly half the team.

Linebacker is the one area we still have some bodies left or at least some epxerience left and you did see them trying to get some pressure with them at times but at the sametime when they did the pressure didn't get home. Credit the Bucs o-line on that. Last week vs. the Steelers when they dialed that up they did get home and that was the difference in the defense. If we got this week's offensive effort with last weeks defense we win. We just can't put a whole game together right now and I think that has to do with all the injuries more than anything else.

With the secondary though they are really hand cuffed with what they can do because we have Bethea playing hurt and Powers but that's about it. I think we are seeing why Lacey was starting, like I said at the time he's our second best corner. Just because he's our second best corner doesn't make him good though. I've been saying since the Texans game corner is the biggest need on the defense. Frankly if we take our high draft pick next year draft a corner who should be a play maker you then can shift Powers to the number two corner and Lacey to the nickle spot where he belongs and we are now pretty good at corner.

Safety needs some work. Caldwell isn't panning out like I had hoped. Maybe we give the other kid a shot. If not we need to address it in the draft because Bullitt is going Bob Sanders on us and can't stay healthy.

As for the D-line, we were down to one DT and five ends, three of which are pass rushers not run stoppers. Like I said I am shocked the Bucs didn't break more long runs than they did.

There are holes on this team don't get me wrong and that does including some of the coaching. i do agree Caldwell's coaches don't adjust enough or quick enough. I pointed out in another thread on offense the Bucs figured out we were running too many curl routes on offense and were starting to jump the routes. Now to their credit the Colts did adjust and we hit the TD pass to Garcon on a screen the next time we got the ball. I just think tonight there was a reason they were limited on what they can adjust on defense. Even then with all the back ups the key play where the game changed was the dropped INT in the endzone. It was a player, not a coach who didn't make the key play.

With the secondary though they are really hand cuffed with what they can do because we have Bethea playing hurt and Powers but that's about it. I think we are seeing why Lacey was starting, like I said at the time he's our second best corner.

Finally, something I agree with you on :). Yes, I did think we missed Lacey in the secondary today. It is not saying much but it sure would have helped.

Finally, something I agree with you on :). Yes, I did think we missed Lacey in the secondary today. It is not saying much but it sure would have helped.

He can at least tackle...that's more than Johnson could do tonight. Other than injuries that was the biggest problem with the defense tonight. They couldn't tackle anyone. Really as simple as that sounds that's the difference in our defense. When they tackle they are decent when they don't they can't stop anyone.

I say we fire Caldwell hire coach Peyton Manning n with the 2012 1st round pick the colts choose Andrew Luck!!!! Keep Freeney Mathis n Bethea get rid of the whole defense n that stupid prevent defense n were set for the next 15 years!!! what do u say ha?

Has anyone noticed that the 49ers are 3-1? Can you imagine how great it would be to have Jim Harbaugh as our coach? I give credit to the 49ers for aggressively pursuing coach Harbaugh, Does anyone think we even considered going after him? We probably would have had the inside track being he's a former Colts great. It goes without saying that Jim Caldwell is not an NFL coach. He never should have been hired. I blame management for listening to coach Dungy and promoting him. I also blame management for pitiful drafting. When they drafted Donald Brown in the 1st round, shouldn't they have known that he can't block? Not only Brown but the majority of their drafting lately has been awful.

Who "builds" a team where 1 player (Peyton) is the difference between being a super bowl contender, or, without him, a team that will be fortunate to win 4 games?

As long as we have Peyton, we've got a shot at winning the whole thing. Shouldn't we have the best available coaching staff for the remainder of his career? When I see Jim Caldwell on the sidelines with that blank, clueless stare on his face, I get a knot in my stomach. Can anyone honestly say that this is the best available coaching staff available?

Has anyone noticed that the 49ers are 3-1? Can you imagine how great it would be to have Jim Harbaugh as our coach? I give credit to the 49ers for aggressively pursuing coach Harbaugh, Does anyone think we even considered going after him? We probably would have had the inside track being he's a former Colts great. It goes without saying that Jim Caldwell is not an NFL coach. He never should have been hired. I blame management for listening to coach Dungy and promoting him. I also blame management for pitiful drafting. When they drafted Donald Brown in the 1st round, shouldn't they have known that he can't block? Not only Brown but the majority of their drafting lately has been awful.

Who "builds" a team where 1 player (Peyton) is the difference between being a super bowl contender, or, without him, a team that will be fortunate to win 4 games?

As long as we have Peyton, we've got a shot at winning the whole thing. Shouldn't we have the best available coaching staff for the remainder of his career? When I see Jim Caldwell on the sidelines with that blank, clueless stare on his face, I get a knot in my stomach. Can anyone honestly say that this is the best available coaching staff available?

No Jim Caldwell was named head coach in waiting and was introduced when Dungy stepped down. There was no search. Caldwell was the guy all along.

For what the Colts wanted when they hired Caldwell yes I can say he was the best coach they could get. As for the rest of the staff. Christison is coaching very well on offense. Frankly the players aren't making play and I am willing to chalk that up to missing Peyton Manning. On defense I do think the time has come for Coyer to go.

I don't care what Caldwell looks like on the sidelines. Listen to the players talk it's pretty clear they like him and they play hard for him. Wheeler was even asked about Caldwell's actions during games and he said "We are grown men we don't need people in our faces yelling at us. How would you like your boss doing that to you at your job? We are profesionals and we know when we screw up and we know we have to fix it, the team tells us all the time they only keep self starters and if you need someone yelling at you to get your attention you aren't going to last long here." Do I think he's a great coach? No he clearly has his flaws, time managment and he's very slow to make changes, he sorta comes up with a plan and sticks with it. That's what seperates him from Dungy. Dungy knew the little changes to make that made all the difference. That's why Dungy is going to Canton one day.

With that said there wasn't a better coach on the market to go get that wasn't going to make drastic changes. Had a guy like Lovie Smith been on the market I would have taken him over Caldwell but he wasn't. The Colts wanted someone off the Dungy coaching tree and there weren't many options out there.

Also it's not like Caldwell has lead us to three straight years of not making the playoffs. The only year he's a had a fairly healthy team he took us to the Super Bowl. Last year he lead the team to a division title with an injury riddled team that would have kept most teams out of the playoffs. I know that people say well the Packers won the Super Bowl last year with all those injuries but they were the exception to the rule which is what makes what they did so remarkable. This year he's missing the guy our team is built around and maybe the best QB in the history of the NFL. That counts and is major factor in why we are losing. This was our first game our biggest issue wasn't QB play and even then our QB play wasn't great. What's being proven is what people have said for years, if something happened to Peyton Manning the Colts were in big trouble.

Our D had been putrid for years. We will not win another SB in the Manning years unless we purge our pathetic HC and DC staff and bring in a defensive minded HC who will bring in his own team. All these pathetic excuses about injuries and rookies is hog wash. Out and out clueless defensive coaching - planning, style, adjustment and creativity. It is embarrassing to watch. Somebody within the Colts organisation must know this, so why are they not doing something about it?

Irsay needs to get off Twitter and get himself a Front Office that is willing to swing the axe. Before this franchise collapses and the LA vultures descend.

You can't blame Caldwell for the game. That's alot of "ifs" you threw in there. Curtis also could've thrown an INT and had it returned for a TD, no one knows. None the less I think it would've helped and it should have been intercepted.

In terms of coaching, I noticed no half time adjustments. Yes injuries were a factor but it's pretty clear the Colts coaching staff is MEDIOCRE at best. We all know that, the fans and league knows that. Even Gruden was griping about the Colts soft coverage and saying you have to have the right personel to play that way which the Colts apparently dont.

It's a fact the Colts coaching staff isn't very good, pretty sure 90% of people agree.

It wasn't Jim ''Calmwell'' :sarcasm: who dropped the Int, but it was the coaches that were calling the plays. At halftime did the coaches go in the locker room and see #18 on Painter's jersey, cause they came out and threw the ball the whole 2nd half like Peyton was out there running the offense. We ran the ball in the 1st half, so why not help take some of the pressure off Painter and run the ball some more? Smh... Then Josh Freeman starts to throw to his check down not once but almost every time he threw the ball in the 2nd half. Do the Coaches adjust anything to put the players in better position to stop it?? NO!!!!!! They just keep running this Tampa 2 Zone and play our CB's 12 yards off the line and play our LB's 8 yards off the line and let Freeman continue to throw to his check downs and pickup 1st downs on 3rd & 21.. Are you :cuss: serious!! A lot of these Coaches need to be let go. First should be Caldwell. He's too Calm for me and not a Head Coach in my eyes. Everyone knows he got the job because he was here with Dungy. Im surprise he didn't call a timeout when the game clock hit zero. Next should be Coyer. Him and his Tampa 2 Defense needs to go back to Tampa or somewhere cause its not working in Indy and never have. And last the ST Coach just because. Only why our ST hasn't been talked about is cause the new rules saving us.. We have too much talent and too many playmakers to be 0-4!!!!