Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Saunders, Sign Adongo [Merge]

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious signing to me. But it seems like Grigs/Pag likes hard, hard hitters. If this guy can hit in the NFL like he does in that video, i'd say its a decent pick up. Minimal risk, potential gain . I like where they are going. I've thought for years that the defense needed to be bigger, faster and more high speed motor wise. Landry, Werner, Betha, Mathis plus Toler and Warden, our defense is setting up nicely, I still think our DL needs that big, mean nose tackle though

One guy is trying to make the Jets. No one else without some college football experience.

People don't realize how complicated the game is, you just don't decide to play one day.

It's not that complicated to run down the field on kickoffs and bust the wedge. That's what this guy's projected role would be for the first year or so. And for someone who comes from a rugby background, who is big and can run and isn't afraid of contact, I think that's a good way to get your feet wet. I don't think anyone expects him to become Terrell Suggs.

I think he's got a slightly better chance of making the team than I do. But as a training camp project, taking the place of someone who wasn't in the good graces of management, this is an intriguing addition.

One guy is trying to make the Jets. No one else without some college football experience.

People don't realize how complicated the game is, you just don't decide to play one day.

Great post by you....

There are several mystifying posts in this thread....    some real head scratchers.....      :scratch:      :dunno:

yes.... if that's the frame work for 'Skeets' then agreed....

thanks for clarifying.... appreciate that.... :thmup:

i think the obvious point i was making was rugby is a lot closer to football than running the 400

It's not that complicated to run down the field on kickoffs and bust the wedge. That's what this guy's projected role would be for the first year or so. And for someone who comes from a rugby background, who is big and can run and isn't afraid of contact, I think that's a good way to get your feet wet. I don't think anyone expects him to become Terrell Suggs.

I think he's got a slightly better chance of making the team than I do. But as a training camp project, taking the place of someone who wasn't in the good graces of management, this is an intriguing addition.

Perfect word - intriguing. Like I said in another post, they must see something in this kid. Obviously, we're not going to have a guy who's only value is wedge busting. He has to be able to play football too.

I am intrigued. I'll be surprised if he makes the PS, but when they signed Freeman last year I thought he was camp fodder at best.

yahoo_aldonsmith.jpg

adongo_daniel.jpg?w=300&h=199

You can't tell me that we didn't just grab Aldon Smith from the 49ers. Looks like the Seahawks will be taking that division this year haha

That might have been what they were thinking when they signed Adongo! Maybe they see some kind of potential I suppose

Go to YouTube...just watched his Highlight Tape....He's huge....and violent...Imma fan already.....I hope he isn't just a camp body..>I have a lot of respect for rugby because they still hit hard without equipment  and they're running the whole time....Ngata was a great rugby player in high school one of the best so this can be a nice fit.

I can attest to this. I played rugby against Ngata in high school. I still have nightmares.

Night and day. How many rugby stars are plying in the NFL? So far, there's one. A guy trying out for the Jets.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but there are plenty of guys his size with college football experience who can't make it in the NFL. You can't underestimate experience.

The kid must have shown something to get a tryout. If he makes the PS it will be a success.

all I know is this kid looks like he was curved from marble. lets see what he can do

I agree.  Where does he find these guys?  It's crazy

im starting to think grigs has scouts all over the world.

It's not odd that they signed someone from rugby as there are plenty of potential signees there, but this is an odd choice.

He's certainly no star in rugby, playing a bit of ITM Cup for a poor team in Counties (as Kiwi says this is roughly like playing Arena Football).  He's been occasional player for the Southern Kings who have the worst of the 15 Super Rugby rosters-the fact that he can't even secure a starting spot there would have to be a concern.  He probably wouldn't be in the top 300 rugby players in the world at the moment, harsh as that sounds.

Every time one of these fringe rugby players tries out for the NFL they get introduced as rugby stars, but to be blunt none of them so far have been.  It's lazy media spin.

But there is an opportunity given the pay disparity between NFL and Rugby.  The top 5 rugby players worldwide would average around $1 million US per year as salary-and often those highest paid players are first fives who have no position they can transfer to in American Football.  Plenty of other star players, often younger ones in more suitable positions, would be earning maybe $150-400k-that's guys with actual top level ability, and within that segment there would certainly be a few suited to crossing over.

Loose forwards are the obvious potential as their size/skills transfer to linebacker/DE type positions.  A lighter loose forward or larger Centre/Fullback (no relation to the NFL positions) could also have safety potential.  The mobile among the Locks would tend to be potential TEs-they have height plus catching experience already.  And some of the props could potentially play DL though that would require more time to adjust I'd expect.

If they had signed Steven Luatua to play DE/linebacker, Charles Piutau to play safety or Ardie Savea to try out as a safety (or OLB if he bulked up) it would make more sense.  In those cases you're talking actual star players, aged 19-22, in positions where the skills translate over to American Football and who would probably only be earning 150-200k a year max.

Agree with the odds you give him for making the team. I guess there is a remote possibility he could end up on the PS and be a special teamer for a few years before his minimum salary forced his release. Trouble with this scenario is that with a 53 man roster , it's difficult to have a player that isn't at least a decent back up at a position. Especially since the kick offs are returned much less now and there is a lot of pressure to just eliminate them altogether.

That said....I don't think this is a stupid signing as there is always the slight chance that he has great football instincts and can actually learn an NFL trade in a couple of years. I mean he appears to be a great specimen and probably appears to be smart with the right kind of mentality. So why not...the only risk is the 90th player you could have signed instead of him would have turned into something. Not a bad risk - reward proposition IMO.

A guy who has never played American football signing just a few days before camp starts?  This would qualify as a long shot. 

That's what camp is for. To teach. Marcus Pollard never played a game of football till he was signed by the Colts. Long shot-yes / out of the question-no.  If his talent matches his size and speed who knows? He sure looks really tough without a helmet and pads. 

Having played rugby for 15 years in New Zealand  and loving the NFL as much as i do, i was very surprised by this selection.

I hope it works out but i could easily list 50 players that would be more suitable with the skills set required to compete at the highest level in both sports.

The major positive in this is that Mr Grigson is willing to search around the world and in different sports to try and find the next big star.

But as a huge fan of the NFL i was happy to see this story has made our papers and hopefully will make the national news as well which airs in 30mins. 

Any publicity for NFL in New Zealand is good for the growth over here and will generate more buzz and excitement.

Richard

Here's a complete list of NFL players who had no college or high school football experience:

If I missed anyone, please let me know.

Present day- Antonio Gates, Ray Seals, Eric Swann and Darren Bennett.  Former players- Marcus Pollard, Otis Sistrunk, Jimmy Graham (Seahawks) and Charlie Powell (he was also a boxer who fought Ali)  

Nothing surprising here, Saunders was on the outside looking in anyway with the news of his suspension and was not expected to make the team anyway in my eyes and we needed some OLB depth considering most of our OLB's outside of Mathis and Walden have a lack of starts and consistent playing time, at worst the kid dont know the difference between a 2 point stance and a 3 point stance and he dont make the PS  (which is likely where he goes considering his lack of playing the game)and at best we have a good special teams player with long term potential. Not a bad signing considering we know who the corp of the OLB rotation will consist of at this stage

Having played rugby for 15 years in New Zealand  and loving the NFL as much as i do, i was very surprised by this selection.

I hope it works out but i could easily list 50 players that would be more suitable with the skills set required to compete at the highest level in both sports.

The major positive in this is that Mr Grigson is willing to search around the world and in different sports to try and find the next big star.

But as a huge fan of the NFL i was happy to see this story has made our papers and hopefully will make the national news as well which airs in 30mins. 

Any publicity for NFL in New Zealand is good for the growth over here and will generate more buzz and excitement.

Richard

Hey I'm NZ's #1 fan! LOL

Good to see another kiwi supporting the Colts.

Hey I'm NZ's #1 fan! LOL

Good to see another kiwi supporting the Colts.

Colts fan since 1995. Got a colts tattoo and have been to a NFL game in San Fran and a college game in Oklahoma but plan on going to an Indy game very soon once ive saved up enough.

With the good exchange rate got so much colts merchandise their is no room for the wife lol

right first off Super 15 while a high level isn't the highest well at club level anyway that belongs to the Heineken Cup two southern Kings not the biggest club in the 15 's. Now International is obviously the highest level and Kenya ain't great at that either. What worries me s that the Bulls didn't renew his contract and that he moved to the kings. he prob can hit as he'll more protection with the pads so will likely throw himself around more. also does it say were he played in rugby if he played center he should be well able to tackle as well as if he played full back if he played wing however i'd be a bit worried.  

What are you basing this on? Super 15 is considerably bigger than the Heineken Cup.

Personally I would've thought league players would transition better to the NFL than union players, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  Here's a few ball and all tackles from last year that NFL fans might also like