Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Werner vs Walden........Who Will Start?

ColtsBTM12

Now that The Germanator has signed and camp is about to heat up, the question is who will be starter opposite Robert Mathis.The Colts invested a lot of money in Erik Walden (4 yr $16M) especially for a guy that has had 9 sacks in the last 3 years. Werner, who had 13 sacks his final year at Florida State will have to transition to a 3-4 defense after being a traditional 4-3 defensive end in college. That said, initially  Walden might get more playing time but don't be suprised if Werner gets the starting job sometime later in the season.

I think it depends on the situation.  I would guess there may even be times we see Walden opposite Werner.

As of right now, those two are surely up against each other, but I suspect it'll be roughly 50/50 on playing time.  Who starts is less important. Also, if they do go roughly 50/50, that should bode well for a playoff run, as they'll be that much less beaten down throughout the season.

Agree with both posts above. Walden will start, based on experience. Then it will be situational. Not only the down and distance, but who's better at beating their man for that down.

I just hope they both turn out to be what we expect.

Walden has the advantage, so I say he'll be the week 1 starter. However, I expect Werner to start sometime during the season. He just needs to get used to the position.

Wouldn't be surprised if Werner is the Week 1 starter, the kid is talented. 

I'm kind of a lay person when it comes to really knowing much about other teams depth, but the more I look into Walden the more I'm confused at the decision to bring him in. I'm hope Warner develops quickly. 

Watching Walden in that SF v GB playoff game, he was on an island the whole game and he got whopped. 

I expect to see walden werner mathis and sidbury on field at same time in pass rush situations

Really, you expect all 4 on the field at the same time on passing downs( which is like 3rd and 7, downs like that).

Good QBs are just going to check to a run play and run it down our throat on a 3rd and 7 if they see them 4 players across the line at the same time.

Now that The Germanator has signed and camp is about to heat up, the question is who will be starter opposite Robert Mathis.The Colts invested a lot of money in Erik Walden (4 yr $16M) especially for a guy that has had 9 sacks in the last 3 years. Werner, who had 13 sacks his final year at Florida State will have to transition to a 3-4 defense after being a traditional 4-3 defensive end in college. That said, initially  Walden might get more playing time but don't be suprised if Werner gets the starting job sometime later in the season.

I wish you would find a different nickname...I hate that one - "Germanator".

I would rather have Werner play more than Walden.

Still seems like a head-scratcher move to get Walden, other than depth or if Werner or Mathis gets hurt.

Eh not really once you realize what we lost: Freeney(Released), Hughes(Traded). Westerman (let him walk). Justin Hickman is coming off a season ending injury so who knows what we will get out of him, for that matter who knows if he would have made the roster even if he wasn't coming off an injury but I liked what little I saw from him. Also the rest of our projected OLB's looks like this

Sidbury-5th year in the league 0 starts 5 sacks 17 tackles 48 games total played in

Rayford-rookie

Mathis-well we know he will be opposite of Werner/Walden

So outside of Mathis we dont have any proven guys as far as NFL proven players with the exception of Walden even if it was nothing eye popping what he has doen so far, so we had to get someone proven, we coulda broke the bank for someone but the Werner pick tells me thats why we did not break the bank for a Paul Kruger for example, I hope letting go of Hughes dont come back to bite us because we are pretty bare as far as pass rushers go with the exception of Mathis and an unproven Werner and maybe catching lightening in a bottle with a Caesar Rayford for example, I got high hopes for him making the PS

Products of a system. Coaches know who fit into their scheme. Walden may not fit into GB's system, but may excel in ours. When teams draft we often ask why did they draft this guy, only to see him flerish in that system. Another example is Dwight Freeney, he was made for a 4-3 defense, but did fit our new scheme. I can see why people scratch their heads on this one. We just need to wait and see how it unfolds

Now that The Germanator has signed and camp is about to heat up, the question is who will be starter opposite Robert Mathis.The Colts invested a lot of money in Erik Walden (4 yr $16M) especially for a guy that has had 9 sacks in the last 3 years. Werner, who had 13 sacks his final year at Florida State will have to transition to a 3-4 defense after being a traditional 4-3 defensive end in college. That said, initially Walden might get more playing time but don't be suprised if Werner gets the starting job sometime later in the season.

The Colts haven't really invested anything in Walden except for ~4M this year. Next year he can be cut for next to nothing and all the Colts are out of is his first years pay. I HIGHLY doubt Walden sees all 16M unless he just explodes into a top tier player, in which I highly doubt that as well.

I think it depends on the situation.  I would guess there may even be times we see Walden opposite Werner.

As of right now, those two are surely up against each other, but I suspect it'll be roughly 50/50 on playing time.  Who starts is less important. Also, if they do go roughly 50/50, that should bode well for a playoff run, as they'll be that much less beaten down throughout the season.

I agree.  I think that Walden will be penciled in as the starter for most of, if not all, of this season. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Werner gets more playing time overall.  I could easily see them trying to get Werner and Walden on the field together against the run and Werner and Mathis on passing downs.  Fortunately, Werner can play both well so he could prove to be our overall best OLB. 

Eh not really once you realize what we lost: Freeney(Released), Hughes(Traded). Westerman (let him walk). Justin Hickman is coming off a season ending injury so who knows what we will get out of him, for that matter who knows if he would have made the roster even if he wasn't coming off an injury but I liked what little I saw from him. Also the rest of our projected OLB's looks like this

Sidbury-5th year in the league 0 starts 5 sacks 17 tackles 48 games total played in

Rayford-rookie

Mathis-well we know he will be opposite of Werner/Walden

So outside of Mathis we dont have any proven guys as far as NFL proven players with the exception of Walden even if it was nothing eye popping what he has doen so far, so we had to get someone proven, we coulda broke the bank for someone but the Werner pick tells me thats why we did not break the bank for a Paul Kruger for example, I hope letting go of Hughes dont come back to bite us because we are pretty bare as far as pass rushers go with the exception of Mathis and an unproven Werner and maybe catching lightening in a bottle with a Caesar Rayford for example, I got high hopes for him making the PS

Yeah Hughes was the most interesting move, I thought. He seemed to have played decently enough when he did get a chance to start.

But I can see why we brought in Walden to help solidify the run defense. 

Sidbury is my dark horse for this year. If Mathis goes down I think Sidbury can have a huge impact on the defense.

LB is certainly going to be the most interesting position to watch this year.

Outside the Broncos and maybe an Arians' pass happy offense, we don't play too many pass oriented offenses this year. If any, our run D will be the one most tested vs the NFC West and division rivals, and possibly with Raiders, Dolphins & Chiefs too. If Walden sets the edge better, he will play more, IMO.

Outside the Broncos and maybe an Arians' pass happy offense, we don't play too many pass oriented offenses this year. If any, our run D will be the one most tested vs the NFC West and division rivals, and possibly with Raiders, Dolphins & Chiefs too. If Walden sets the edge better, he will play more, IMO.

true, but I have a feeling if we're in run defense a lot, then at those times Werner will still be on the field but in the place of Mathis.

Walden was brought in because we had a big whole at OLB. We had no idea who would be available at 24 when we picked. You draft based on potential. You sign FA based on needs. Walden is a solid run stopper and has had some flashes of getting to the qb....at least against us lol. They saw something in him and gave him a contract he has to go out and earn. Small risk big reward. Just so happen Warner was the BPA when we picked and fit a need. Mathis is getting older and Walden is unproven....we have a solid if unproven core there now and hopefully it works out well for us.

I think it's important to remember both guys are here to do different things too.  Werner is more of a pass rusher so I think you'll see more of him if we were playing a more passing team such as say the Broncos.  Walden is a run stopper so if we playing someone like the Jags odds are you going to see more of him.  The Colts are gaining some depth which is a good thing because with depth comes options.